Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, it's not a claim. Zheng He's fleets were doing extensive exploration until the new emperor banned it. It's possible they would've gotten to the Americas at some point in the 1400s prior to Columbus, had they continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not sure the reason, which is embarrassing because I just read about this. The result either way was the end of Chinese exploration and a return to a more isolated policy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

South Korea's wrong too. It's approximately 25/25/50 Christian/Buddhist/Other or none.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ogantai posted:

I was going to mention that too, but I suppose it hinges on whether Confucianism is considered a Chinese 'religion'.

I guess. The culture is very Confucian here but it's not followed as a religion. Christianity is by far the dominant religion in everyday life, I've never been chased around by evangelicals like I have here. And I'm from the loving Midwest.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What's up with the nuke on Shetland? Was that an early warning site too?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I'm curious about what qualifies as yellow too, my county is yellow and I can't recall any restrictions. We have drive thru liquor stores there, it's not exactly restrictive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TinTower posted:

Brew-thrus. :colbert:

Never heard the term brew-thru in Ohio. :colbert: They didn't have a special name. I remember a couple people calling them DUI-thrus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

:stare: I knew life on Reservations was bad, but those numbers are like what I would expect of the worst parts of Zimbabwe. Seriously what the hell is wrong with this country? Although I'll gladly use these when ever some libertarian racist shitheel says they don't deserve what little the Feds give them.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that Pine Ridge is by far the worst reservation. But yes the reservations are mostly awful places and it's a shame no one knows about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Norway is expensive as gently caress. I have a Norwegian friend who lives pretty close to the border, he does almost all of his shopping in Sweden because it's so much cheaper.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

I'd be interested in seeing central, south, and southeast Asia if you feel like taking pictures!

And east! And the Middle East!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bishop Rodan posted:

While China never made contact with Rome directly, they knew of it from the tales traders on the Silk Road brought.

This actually isn't true. As far as we know no Chinese ever got to the Roman Empire, but the first Roman embassy arrived in the Chinese court in 166 AD, and the two empires maintained regular contact from then on. Several more embassies were sent from Rome during the classical period, and they maintained relations throughout the Middle Ages as well. Roman merchants were also around, though they obviously didn't make it into the Chinese imperial records the way the diplomatic missions did.

Unfortunately there are no Roman records and the Chinese records haven't been translated, and I don't read Classical Chinese, so I've never seen full texts. Summaries only.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Heres the oldest map they found apparently.

Not that bad actually and I think its quite pretty with all the little towns and mountains. :3:
Though that makes those terrible later maps all the more strange. :psyduck:

It's pretty, but also super inaccurate. You can clearly see China, Korea, Japan on there, but that little dangly lake thing to the west? That's Europe. You can make out Italy, and the lake is the Mediterranean. So on a world scale it's still wildly off, but it's very cool and it also shows China's perspective on things.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Roman glass was a big deal because it was a technology the Chinese had zero knowledge of, they could make glass beads but that was it--clear glass, blown glass, those were Roman inventions. It was also one of the few trade goods they would actually accept, mostly they just took gold/silver in exchange for silk. Glass was valuable enough that it could be exported as well. It didn't all stay in China either, a bunch has been dug up here in Korea and recently some was found in Japan.

How the Romans eventually got their own silk industry going under Justinian is a fun story worth looking up. Secret agents!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Real Quaid posted:

I'd be interested to know if younger mainland Chinese people even care at all about Taiwan- have you ever heard any express an opinion on the subject? I haven't.

I used to teach Chinese students. About half spat the memorized rabid PRC propaganda, 40% didn't give a poo poo, and 10% were happy part of China was free and wished they lived there.

My two close Chinese friends don't care and consider Taiwan an independent country. They also aren't big fans of the government and automatically assume anything the PRC says is a lie.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

The fishing fleet is that big? Jesus H. Christ they're the size of loving cities. :stare:

Lots of fishing. Also squid is a major catch, and you use bigass lights on the ships to attract them up to you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

Who's going to tell Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin that his country doesn't have patronyms?

Russian patronyms aren't the same. Russia has surnames that are consistent for the family, the patronymic is a middle name. In Iceland there is no permanent family surname, it's just the patronymic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My family background has seven different ethnic groups that I know of, possibly more. American is a lot easier than trying to untangle that, and the two big ones are equal percentages so I couldn't just pick a main ethnicity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you mean one specific kind of Bavarian is dominant across Bavaria, or Bavarian is dominant in Germany?

I learned standard High German since that's what they teach in the US. I'm not good at identifying dialects but I can tell a few. Bavarian can be confusing but I generally can follow it. I can tell Austrian German is different than what I learned but can't really differentiate it from Bavarian. Swiss German is just nonsense.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Czech republic is also one of the few countries in europe you can basically see from space without the need of any borders. It's surrounded on all sides by mountains/hills and almost looks like a huge crater in central europe.

Oh wow I'd never looked at that before. Go to Google Maps and switch the borders off. The eastern part isn't so clear but the north/west border is absolutely along the mountain lines, you really can see most of the country's border purely from natural markers. Neat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Barudak posted:

Berlin in Ohio; an accurate map.

Its actually really like things like this even if its a very silly way to show the size of a conflict because I'm more intimately familiar with driving those distances than I am with Europe. Its also silly because Iowa has no Ivory Towers, only Corn Mazes.

Yeah I like that map a lot. It's weird to see exactly how small the area was and how close those cities are, to my American point of view.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How do these lactose intolerance studies work? I live in Korea and I had always thought most people here would be lactose intolerant, but everybody consumes dairy all the time here and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. The dairy aisle at my grocery store is bigger than it was in the US, there are probably two hundred different brands of milk and yogurts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

That actually would be a nice spot for a museum about the Follies of Nationalism. Close to a lot of people and a lot of history.

Unfortunately, it's underwater. It's even stupider than Dokdo because under international law, underwater things don't count as islands so there's no EEZ for it. It doesn't even exist and South Korea is provoking China over it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Skeleton Jelly posted:

I'm quite surprised at how dominantly forested Japan still is to this day, drat.

Mountains, not much else you can do with much of that land. I believe it's mostly new growth forest though, Japan was almost entirely deforested but was one of the first countries to begin reforestation and conservation, I think in the 1600s or 1700s?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

A dot map isn't quite right for this without much higher resolution, but you can imagine the general gist of it. Some places like the Midwest USA seem populated more than this map represents, though.

I always forget that even though our north Great Plains area is pretty empty, that bit of Canada right above it is surprisingly populated.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

I really don't understand why anyone bothers to remember this ever. Maybe it's my language-privilege talking but whole classes of nouns that add zero information yet require huge amounts of memorization to use properly are just ugh.

It's not just you, gender is the one grammar concept that I've never seen any convincing argument in favor of. Or any argument in favor of, now that I think about it. It adds nothing but annoyance for non-native learners. It doesn't even have to be logical, like girl in German is neuter, not feminine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ras Het posted:

So I don't know why you would need to make an "argument in favor of" it?

As far as describing what purpose it serves. You just mentioned articles, for example. They are somewhat arbitrary, but at least in English they communicate whether you're talking about a specific or general noun. Something like the door = a specific door, a door = any door. I've never read an argument that gender communicates any useful information at all, it's just kind of there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ras Het posted:

Clarification of references in, say, subordinate clauses. The same way English has gendered third person singular pronouns, he did this and she did that. Lots of languages do without genders in pronouns.

Can you give some examples? The only language I've learned in any detail with genders was German, and they're totally meaningless and arbitrary there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do German speakers even care if you use the wrong article? I mean it's blindingly obvious you still mean the word 'the'.

Not really. A lot of Germans kind of swallow the endings anyway instead of clearly saying einer einem etc. You can communicate fine, it's just a dead giveaway that you aren't a native speaker (if your accent wasn't already).

I hosed it up constantly in Germany, I'm sure. I'm usually good with grammar in languages I study but memorizing poo poo is difficult.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

I've read that the difference between the Serbian language and Croatian language are smaller than the difference between Dutch and Flemish, but I don't speak either of those languages so I really wouldn't know if that's true or not.

One of my friends in college was a Serb from Croatia, and you're correct. Croatian and Serbian are the same language; she compared it to British and American English. You know where someone is from because of certain words that are different, but otherwise they're entirely mutually intelligible. They're only called different languages because of politics and the issues between the Serbs and Croats.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

menino posted:

Serbian is written in Cyrillic while Croatian is Latin though right? Could a Croatian read Serbian?

If you know Cyrillic yeah. Both can be written in either alphabet, though I think Croatian is always in Roman and Serbian uses both. Croatian was her native language but understanding Serbian and Bosnian was no problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kamrat posted:

I didn't realize Tibet was a theocracy before China took over, thanks for the info. :)

A pretty nasty one too. Other than the minerals and prestige, another reason China would never give it up is just about every major river in China comes from glaciers in Tibet. China has enough water problems without giving control over its fresh water supply to an independent state that could decide to cut them off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Count Roland posted:

drat, I didn't know Taiwan was part of the Japanese conquests along with Korea.

For about 50 years. To this day Taiwan still has a Japanese affinity. The Japanese weren't anywhere near as brutal there as they were in other conquered territories. It was their first conquest so they wanted to show everyone how wonderful life under their new Japanese overlords would be.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 15, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Not sure about the rest of the world. I know some early Chinese maps had a south-up orientation but I'm not sure if that is representative of their broader historical cartography.

General street maps here in Korea (in subway stations or whatever) have no fixed orientation, they pick one randomly and usually don't label which direction is north. Also the streets are abstracted, so good luck!

Real hurthling! posted:

The one example of Roman maps that i've seen was from late antiquity and I can't remember if it was original or a medieval reproduction or drawn from descriptions but it was north up. By the middle ages jerusalem was on top in a couple famous maps apparently too. I wouldn't be surprised if the way a map was oriented wasn't really important for the purposes of ancient Mediterranean travelers who would have been more interested in the distances between points along safe roads and the general shape of the coast lines their shipping followed.

The Tabula Peutingeriana is north up, I know. Ptolemy's world map is also north up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korea used the Japanese system of building numbering, which is to number based on lots and what order the buildings were built in. As a result of that and no street names, there aren't really any addresses here so finding anything is an exercise in mass frustration. Literally the only people who could use the system were the mail carriers and delivery drivers. This year they've just switched over to using street names and numbers so theoretically Korea will now have addresses.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I do like having the city district/neighborhood named. I'm hoping that with the addition of street names and numbers the address system here will be really good from now on. A Korean address before now would be like ROK Ulsan-gwangyeoksi Nam-gu Sinjeongdong 445-28. Country, province, city (in this case the city is also a province so there's no city), district, neighborhood. Then there's that 445-28. 28 is the building number, but I have no idea what the 445 was and neither does literally anyone I've ever asked, Korean or otherwise.

I think the new ones will now be, say, Sinjeongdong Samsanro beongil 7, 28. Samsanro is the main street, beongil means a side street, so the street name is literally like "seventh side street off Samsanro".

None of this was ever listed on a map or anything. A typical map here will be a few lines representing streets (not to scale in size, distance from one another, or going in the correct directions) with some landmarks labeled (a bank or something) then a dot for the place. Which isn't to scale so who knows how far it is. If you're already very familiar with the neighborhood you might be able to figure it out, if it's in an unfamiliar place good luck.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 18, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

South Korea is still reeling from being a dictatorship.

And the libel laws here are so broad that you can be prosecuted for saying anything negative about anyone, even if it's 100% verifiably true. Also all the journalism makes Fox News seem like a bastion of good sense and reason in comparison.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Farecoal posted:

The ultimate hugbox?

It's insane. For example, say you get a job somewhere and the boss decides to not pay you (which happens semi-frequently here). If you go online and post "Hey, don't work at X, the boss didn't pay me" they can now sue you. And they will win, even with proof that the boss did not pay you.

One of the many factors that suppresses any real journalism here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Well by sharing the information that they didn't pay you you've harmed their reputation and may damage them by people not wanting to work for them or do business. Yes it's true but by saying the truth you hurt the reputation of someone and reputation is everything.

Yep. You made them lose face. After all, how can they get more employees to not pay if you tell everyone that they don't pay their employees?

This is the same legal system where someone rear-ends you at a red light and you have to pay partial damages because if you hadn't stopped at the red light, you wouldn't have been in the guy's way so he couldn't have rear ended you. Or if a taxi gets in a wreck the passenger is responsible, not the driver.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Star Man posted:

So how are you expected to live if you work at a job that refuses to pay you? Get a second job and hope that they're not a scumbag too?

Quit and find a new job and hope they'll pay you. There are also labor boards you can go to and make a fuss to get your back pay, which works sometimes. The key being that is private so it doesn't trigger the libel laws.

I've been lucky so far but it's common enough that "Does your boss pay you?" is a standard question you ask if you get to talk to whoever you're replacing/someone else who works there. And there is a much larger segment of places that will pay you, but either try to skim off some of your salary or pay late all the time.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Holy poo poo. :psyduck: So apparently there's a first-world country out there with even worse labor laws than the USA.

That's the thing. The labor laws are actually much better on paper, but you'd have to confront someone and stand up for yourself to use them. And that's not done, so everyone gets hosed over by their employers more or less constantly.

Koreans have it worse, too. Contracts with western employees are more generous and reasonable since they're aware no one would ever come here if they treated us as badly as Korean workers are treated. As usual the laborers from India/SE Asia/etc have the worst of it.

First world is also something of a stretch. Korea's well on its way but I'd place it right at the end of developing or just starting to be developed. It was still quite a shithole even 10-15 years ago.