Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«14 »
Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 25, 2010
Sensitivity Training Expert

If former "Power Rangers" actor and aspiring MMA fighter Jason David Frank's slogan is, "Jesus didn't tap," maybe St. Louis area pastor Alois Bell's slogan should be, "Jesus didn't tip."

Bell, or at least a snarky note she scrawled on a restaurant reciept, became infamous recently after it was posted on reddit.

Bell, a pastor at Truth In The Word Deliverance Ministries, apparently miffed at being hit with an automatic 18% gratuity for being part of a 20-person party that split their checks, scratched it out and left a "0" in its place, along with a note that read, "I give God 10% why do you get 18."

the story and image quickly spread around the internet. Neither Bell nor the restaurant in question were identified in the picture, but Bell was still sufficiently upset that she contacted the Applebee's to complain, whuch resulted in waitress Chelsea Welch, who is working her way through college, being fired.

Below is a link to a story by a St. Louis area news affiliate which features an interview with Bell.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l#axzz2JfKD1bNP

Since this latest development, Facebook pages calling for Bell's dismissal have started to crop up.

Bell, for her part, seems to regret her actions, saying, “My heart is really broken … I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

Meanwhile, Welch must find another job.

I can't help but wonder if the pastor is only upset because she got caught.

And her insistence that there were not 20 people in her party makes me wonder if, like many diners, she assumed that splitting a check turns a party of 20 into 5 parties of 4, thereby avoiding a gratuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Remind me to work out until I also am buff and have to keep a pillow in front of my okay I'll be honest this is like the 50th custom title I've done tonight and I'm just phoning it in now.

Apparently the pastor called demanding that everyone, from the server to the manager, be fired.

Some Other Guy
Dec 30, 2004

If you're a 20 person party and you all split checks, and you don't tip -- what the gently caress? If you're not going to tip at all you shouldn't go out to eat.

Also, anyone who quotes that scene from Reservoir Dogs or some poo poo as a justification for not tipping in this thread needs to preemptively told to shut the gently caress up.

rebelEpik
Jun 9, 2012

I would love to hear a recording of that call.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

O, for a muse of fire

I, too, recall in the Bible where Jesus said people to not tip workers cause they already give money to a church. God needs money, you see, cause he has a crippling addiction to QVC

BiohazrD
Mar 2, 2005

It wasn't the waitress it was someone else who worked there that posted it. But honestly, she deserved to be fired, she posted personal information.

The Pastor is a still a horrible person. Not only because she didn't tip, but because 18% is put on your bill if you're a large party. Period. It's part of the bill. Deal with it.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

"DANCE. Like it's nobody's business."

Also, you suck dicks or something

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Apparently the pastor called demanding that everyone, from the server to the manager, be fired.

Yeah, the waitress was fired.
http://consumerist.com/2013/01/31/w...fired-from-job/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

I am going to fight capitalism even if it kills me.

I think it is wrong that people like you should be comfortable and well fed while all around you people are starving

Mind you, Welch wasn't even the waitress who waited on Bell. Welch simply caught word of the insulting message from a fellow waiter, snapped a photo, and posted the picture. But since she posted the picture, she got fired. It's not clear whether her fellow waiter (the one who served Bell) also got fired.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you want to live in a country where companies lobbeyed to get minimum wage laws changed so that tips can be counted towards a waiters paycheck for the purposes of minimum wage you should not loving expect to get away without tipping.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Remind me to work out until I also am buff and have to keep a pillow in front of my okay I'll be honest this is like the 50th custom title I've done tonight and I'm just phoning it in now.

I know the waitress was fired. I'm just saying that the pastor was spiteful enough to demand that everyone possible be fired for daring to inconvenience her.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Is Your Printer Out
of Ink or Toner?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Applebees claim they fired her because the receipt had the lady's name on it, therefore she broke some sort of rule about customer privacy, but of course that's bullshit because Applebees posted a customer's name on a receipt on their Facebook page

Mr. Mallory
Nov 10, 2012

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Below is a link to a story by a St. Louis area news affiliate which features an interview with Brown.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l#axzz2JfKD1bNP

Since this latest development, Facebook pages calling for Brown's dismissal have started to crop up.

Who the gently caress is "Brown"?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

We have such sights
to show you.
Come with us.
Taste our pleasures!

Render unto Applebee's what is Applebee's.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

It's not godly to just wipe out the whole place if someone pisses you off. Or is it?

Aralan
May 21, 2001

Xarthor posted:

Applebees claim they fired her because the receipt had the lady's name on it, therefore she broke some sort of rule about customer privacy, but of course that's bullshit because Applebees posted a customer's name on a receipt on their Facebook page

It bums me out that there's somebody out there with such a strong preference in which Applebees they go to that they felt the need to hand write a letter about it on their receipt.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I had a bitchy server try to put an automatic gratuity on a check for a party of 6, when it was clearly stated on the menu that automatic gratuities were added for party of 8 or more. I scratched that out and paid the actual bill, and we left her some pennies for a tip. We would have just left her a normal tip (despite being a fairly poor server) if she had left it alone.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Elysium posted:

I had a bitchy server try to put an automatic gratuity on a check for a party of 6, when it was clearly stated on the menu that automatic gratuities were added for party of 8 or more. I scratched that out and paid the actual bill, and we left her some pennies for a tip.

Or you could have politely brought it to the attention of someone who would have easily corrected the mistake and perhaps offered you a free desert.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

O, for a muse of fire

RazorDX posted:

It's not godly to just wipe out the whole place if someone pisses you off. Or is it?

Well it's defiantly not godly to use God as an excuse as to why you can't give to someone who's less fortunate than you. Maybe the pastor is using that new conservative translated Bible though. I'm sure the sections about helping the needy and the poor have been replaced with "gently caress the poor" reprinted over and over

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Or you could have politely brought it to the attention of someone who would have easily corrected the mistake and perhaps offered you a free desert.

This was not a mistake. She did it on purpose.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Prov. 14:31. He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, but he who is gracious to the needy honors Him.
Prov. 14:32. That was a joke, haha. gently caress the poor.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Anyone who posted the picture should have been fired, plain and simple. It is not legally required to tip, and it is a gross violation of privacy to post that information online.

The Pastor is a terrible person, but whomever posted the picture unedited is also a terrible person.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Allow me to interject. I have been using electronic cigarettes for a few months now. You see, I am an Expert

I pay a 10% tithe to my Church already, what did YOU do to earn a tip?

This is just awful. I've never worked in the service industry, but I always make sure to tip my servers well, because its a lovely job and they have to put up with a lot of bullshit from customers. I saw the receipt when it was making the rounds on the internet, but this video reveals a bit more. I've heard countless servers complain that black people don't tip and here this poor godly woman just reinforces the stereotype.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: misread

Quiksilva
Dec 14, 2004

It amazes me how people in this day and age can stiff waiters/waitresses of even a decent 15-18% tip if they served the customer well enough and appropriately. Their entire paycheck is being screwed over, and without tips they can't even pay the bills. How can you possibly be a servant of god an justify screwing over people in your community when your church thrives through donations of said community.

On a side note, Applebee's twitter is showing a very hilarious feed that shows up on their website.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

We have such sights
to show you.
Come with us.
Taste our pleasures!

Xarthor posted:

I would have been mortified if the world ever found out I liked Applebee's that much.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

"DANCE. Like it's nobody's business."

Also, you suck dicks or something

The Smoking Gun interviewed the pastor.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/docume...ologizes-687234

They have a link to the original picture posted on Reddit. In the article I read the girl who posted it said that she didn't think about removing the signature because she felt it was illegible. But my six year old could read that signature, it's really clear.

What scares the poo poo out of me about stories like this is how within a week this person was on national news for skipping a tip and being a bitch. National News. It's scary how vulnerable we are to being outed for being stupid these days. I do stupid poo poo almost every day.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

O, for a muse of fire

Elysium posted:

This was not a mistake. She did it on purpose.

Did you ask her about it or did she say she added it? And if so did you bring up that the menu said parties of eight or over or did you go into passive-aggressive shithead mode right away?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Atoramos posted:

Anyone who posted the picture should have been fired, plain and simple. It is not legally required to tip, and it is a gross violation of privacy to post that information online.
I saw the picture before, and didn't see the woman's name on it. Was it cropped out later? I thought that she was identified because she called and complained about it.

Not tipping isn't illegal, but nor is putting a picture of somebody's receipt on the internet. And yes, if it is stated that it is restaurant policy to add gratuity to certain party sizes, then that's your bill. It's not optional.

gently caress that sanctimonious pastor. Her congregation consists of 15 people by the way. She's a loving idiot because tithing is 10% of your entire income, while tipping is x% of just your bill. She's obviously not very smart though and enjoyed acting like the server was trying to take 18% of her entire income.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 25, 2010
Sensitivity Training Expert

Atoramos posted:

The Pastor is a terrible person, but whomever posted the picture unedited is also a terrible person.

If the restaurant clearly states that a service charge will be added to large parties, yes you are required to pay it, and can be arrested for not doing so.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ask me about getting into Goonwaffe early or not taking too long to answer your emails!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I would have been mortified if the world ever found out I liked Applebee's that much.

You just haven't tried those quesadillas man. They will change your life.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

"BeanBandit! Son of a bitch!"

Mr. Mallory posted:

Who the gently caress is "Brown"?

I'm confused too, but I think it's the pastor. Brown = Bell.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Prov. 14:31. He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, but he who is gracious to the needy honors Him.
Prov. 14:32. That was a joke, haha. gently caress the poor.

I've always been a fan of Ezekiel 16:49.

Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ummmm....

In all fairness even if the pastor was being sanctimonious cheap bitch no one should have to be publicially burdened by it being known that they enjoy eating at Applebee's.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

If the restaurant clearly states that a service charge will be added to large parties, yes you are required to pay it, and can be arrested for not doing so.

Depends on the state and even then it doesn't appear as clear cut as you make it seem. We're also talking about auto-gratuity and not a service charge, which I would have thought are two different things.

Edit: I feel her firing is justified. It's not up to my employees to try to shame bad customers and I would want to discourage that as much as possible.

Mr. Mallory
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

We wish this situation hadn't happened. Our Guests’ personal information – including their meal check – is private, and neither Applebee’s nor its franchisees have a right to share this information publicly. We value our Guests’ trust above all else. Our franchisee has apologized to the Guest and has taken disciplinary action with the Team Member for violating their Guest’s right to privacy.

Do they think this is going to win back people's trust?

Fandyien
Feb 10, 2012

Reddit appears to have really worked itself up over this so I anticipate her getting hired or rent paid or something by the concentrated indignation of a trillion dorks

SirMonkeyButt
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Mondian posted:

I've heard countless servers complain that black people don't tip and here this poor godly woman just reinforces the stereotype.

Is this a thing? Or is it more like- "those people probably won't tip anyway, better seat them last and serve 'em slow."

NESguerilla
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk Clunk Clunk clunk

It's funny how much that woman is blatantly lying throughout the video in the link. "I left a credit card tip and a cash tip!" Oh really now?

That lady definitely sucks, but I can see why someone would get fired over posting that with the name still on it.

Edit:

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Is this a thing? Or is it more like- "those people probably won't tip anyway, better seat them last and serve 'em slow."

It's unfair to make broad statements like that, although when I was waiting tables I did feel like it was sort of a thing to be honest.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Yes, it's a thing. https://www.google.com/search?q=black+people+tipping

No need to really bring it up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

When I worked at Applebee's and would serve a party that had gratuity added to it, I can't tell you how many times people would scratch out the automatic gratuity printed on the receipt and write something even worse in its place. Whenever I brought it to one of the managers they'd just get on to me because obviously I was a lovely server to them. Never knew it was illegal though. I always just thought it was printed on the receipt to imply it was recommended. Guess all those people that changed it thought the same thing too.

gently caress I hated working there.

«14 »