Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
rocketpig
Feb 5, 2008

Hi everyone, I couldn't find a thread for this so figured I'd start one (Sorry if there is and I missed it).

I've recently started waxing at home and even though I've watched a few videos and read stuff I am still pretty much clueless. I can just about do my legs without having lines of hairs that I have missed although I am still having a bit of trouble with getting the strip off in one go.

Tonight for some unknown reason I decided to try doing down stairs again after failing miserably a while back due to pain. Well, I have once again failed. I got as far as my piercing (they are quite hight and I was determined to at least get past them) and then freaked out. The skin is really stretchy down there and I felt like I was going cause some damage

So I have been left with the top waxed with some plucking needed and I had to shave the rest. Could anyone with more experience with this sort of thing give me some pointers? I hate having to shave coz stubble is such a pain. I got waxed at a salon once and not having the itches two days later by itself makes me want to scrap shaving all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 3, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

I don't self-wax, but I do epilate -

It's basically the same idea as waxing except the machine plucks multiple hairs out. The benefit is that you can stop for a rest if it gets too much, and you can use your epilator over and over. I've had the same one now for getting on for 10 years! They cost a fair amount but I think they are worth it.

I use it on my legs and bikini line. Weirdly I find doing my legs a bit more painful than my more private parts. It is painful, but it does get better over time! Have you thought about trying this as an alternative?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rondette posted:

It's basically the same idea as waxing except the machine plucks multiple hairs out. The benefit is that you can stop for a rest if it gets too much, and you can use your epilator over and over. I've had the same one now for getting on for 10 years! They cost a fair amount but I think they are worth it.

I use it on my legs and bikini line. Weirdly I find doing my legs a bit more painful than my more private parts. It is painful, but it does get better over time! Have you thought about trying this as an alternative?

Do they make a machine that is like ten of those taped together?

Astro Panda
Dec 21, 2012

Do you even LOTR?!

Rondette posted:

How do you battle crazy ingrown hairs when using this? I tried waxing (and guh, even tweezing once when I was crazy) a long time ago. I was so smooth right after the fact, but basically every hair came back ingrown and it was a complete nightmare.

eeS.
Nov 8, 2005

STUPID AS HELL!!

I was looking for a waxing thread a week or so a go to no avail, but at least we have one now

Iíve been working out for a while now and the misses has decided that she wants me to start waxing my Ďrippedí upper body Ė so RIP awesome chest hair

Anyway, having never waxed to such a large extent before, I decided to do some homework and read up on some common FAQís and various guides on what to expect both during the procedure and afterward in regards to aftercare.

I found some helpful stuff that Iím happy to share with everyone here (Iíll just edit/retype some of the stuff so itís not just a straight cut/copy job).

But yeah, my upper body waxing appointment is booked for next Monday and iíll happily post an update when itís been done.

rocketpig
Feb 5, 2008

Rondette posted:

I had thought about this a while ago but not sure. With waxing you are covering a reasonably large area in one go so it is over with quite quickly. Can you feel the hairs being plucked out one by one with it? The thought of that on more delicate areas kinda makes me cringe. I tried plucking once when I was being very brave (and had a lot of free time) and that was horrible.

eeS. posted:

I was looking for a waxing thread a week or so a go to no avail, but at least we have one now

Iíve been working out for a while now and the misses has decided that she wants me to start waxing my Ďrippedí upper body Ė so RIP awesome chest hair

Anyway, having never waxed to such a large extent before, I decided to do some homework and read up on some common FAQís and various guides on what to expect both during the procedure and afterward in regards to aftercare.

I found some helpful stuff that Iím happy to share with everyone here (Iíll just edit/retype some of the stuff so itís not just a straight cut/copy job).

But yeah, my upper body waxing appointment is booked for next Monday and iíll happily post an update when itís been done.

That would be awesome, good luck with it

If anyone has any useful links or advice I would be happy to edit the OP. Could be good to have lots of info all in one place for people who are new to it (like me).

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

I wax (both professionally and at home on myself)!
Waxing yourself is a lot more difficult and mess, due to having to contort yourself to get the right angle to pull the waxing strips off so it definitely takes practice.

Here's what I do:

1. Set up my waxing area.
I throw down an old beach towel to protect the floor from dripped wax. Then I take two paper towels, one for under my wax pot, and another to lay all my supplies on. On the second paper towel, I pour a small pile of baby powder and beside that I set my applicator sticks and woven strips (both of which I cut in half with scissors because it's easier to wax in smaller sections on yourself). Then I set a paper grocery bag beside the wax pot for throwing used strips and applicators in.

2. Prep my skin.
I use my cleanser on a cotton ball to wipe down the area I'm about to wax, then use a paper towel to go over it again to make sure my skin is totally dry. Then I dust a LIGHT layer of baby powder over my skin. At this point I usually start drinking a glass of wine.

3. Start waxing.
I dip one end of the applicator stick into my now warm wax pot and scrape the wax off one side of the stick on the side of the pot. I then test it on a tiny spot on the back of my hand to make sure the temp is right. Nothing hurts worse than getting your wax way too hot and then applying it to sensitive skin. When you test the wax, put the strip down on top of the wax on your skin and pull the strip off in the same direction the hair grows. It should not hurt or take off any hair this way.
Now that you've got the wax at the right temperature, apply a thin coat in the direction the hair grows. Do not double dip your applicator, throw it away and use a new one if you need a bit more wax. Then lay your strip over the area, and rub it in the same direction the hair grows. Take another sip of wine and rip that sucker off in the opposite direction that the hair grows. You're going to want to stay as close to the skin as possible, pulling it off parallel to your body and not straight up. Fold your hairy strip in half, and use the other side to clean up any remaining wax by pressing and lifting it in the same way. After you have done that, press your hand down firmly on the area you just waxed. Somehow the pressure helps with the pain. Toss your wax strip in the trash, and repeat the previous steps until you are done.

4. Clean up.
Tweeze whatever hairs you may have missed, but do not wax over areas you already did because it will iritate your skin and can even pull your skin off.
Take an old hand towel or wash cloth and use it with wax remover to get all the remaining stickiness off. Apply some aloe with a cotton ball to the waxed area. Ta-da! You're done.

Don't worry too much about getting *all* the hair the first few times, work on your technique and eventually you will get all the hair.

Also, if you're using those Sally Hansen instant wax strips, those suck and are super painful and I have no advice other than throw them in the garbage.

Edit: When you are tweezing, grab the hair as close to the skin as possible and yank it out in the same direction it grows, pulling parallel to your body (just like waxing kinda). If tweezing is too painful, you're doing it wrong.

candywife fucked around with this message at Feb 4, 2013 around 18:55

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

Astro Panda posted:

How do you battle crazy ingrown hairs when using this? I tried waxing (and guh, even tweezing once when I was crazy) a long time ago. I was so smooth right after the fact, but basically every hair came back ingrown and it was a complete nightmare.

Start gently exfoliating a day or two after you use one of these torture contraptions to prevent ingrown hairs.

rocketpig
Feb 5, 2008

candywife posted:

I wax (both professionally and at home on myself)!
Waxing yourself is a lot more difficult and mess, due to having to contort yourself to get the right angle to pull the waxing strips off so it definitely takes practice.

Here's what I do:

1. Set up my waxing area.
I throw down an old beach towel to protect the floor from dripped wax. Then I take two paper towels, one for under my wax pot, and another to lay all my supplies on. On the second paper towel, I pour a small pile of baby powder and beside that I set my applicator sticks and woven strips (both of which I cut in half with scissors because it's easier to wax in smaller sections on yourself). Then I set a paper grocery bag beside the wax pot for throwing used strips and applicators in.

2. Prep my skin.
I use my cleanser on a cotton ball to wipe down the area I'm about to wax, then use a paper towel to go over it again to make sure my skin is totally dry. Then I dust a LIGHT layer of baby powder over my skin. At this point I usually start drinking a glass of wine.

3. Start waxing.
I dip one end of the applicator stick into my now warm wax pot and scrape the wax off one side of the stick on the side of the pot. I then test it on a tiny spot on the back of my hand to make sure the temp is right. Nothing hurts worse than getting your wax way too hot and then applying it to sensitive skin. When you test the wax, put the strip down on top of the wax on your skin and pull the strip off in the same direction the hair grows. It should not hurt or take off any hair this way.
Now that you've got the wax at the right temperature, apply a thin coat in the direction the hair grows. Do not double dip your applicator, throw it away and use a new one if you need a bit more wax. Then lay your strip over the area, and rub it in the same direction the hair grows. Take another sip of wine and rip that sucker off in the opposite direction that the hair grows. You're going to want to stay as close to the skin as possible, pulling it off parallel to your body and not straight up. Fold your hairy strip in half, and use the other side to clean up any remaining wax by pressing and lifting it in the same way. After you have done that, press your hand down firmly on the area you just waxed. Somehow the pressure helps with the pain. Toss your wax strip in the trash, and repeat the previous steps until you are done.

4. Clean up.
Tweeze whatever hairs you may have missed, but do not wax over areas you already did because it will iritate your skin and can even pull your skin off.
Take an old hand towel or wash cloth and use it with wax remover to get all the remaining stickiness off. Apply some aloe with a cotton ball to the waxed area. Ta-da! You're done.

Don't worry too much about getting *all* the hair the first few times, work on your technique and eventually you will get all the hair.

Also, if you're using those Sally Hansen instant wax strips, those suck and are super painful and I have no advice other than throw them in the garbage.

Edit: When you are tweezing, grab the hair as close to the skin as possible and yank it out in the same direction it grows, pulling parallel to your body (just like waxing kinda). If tweezing is too painful, you're doing it wrong.

Thanks, this is really helpful

One thing that I found really annoying last night was the applying the wax in the direction the hair grows thing. It's not a problem on my legs coz it is all going in the same direction. Doing a Hollywood I found tricky though coz the hair grows in different directions, I did find it was in the areas where the growth pattern changed where it was more painful.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

candywife posted:

Start gently exfoliating a day or two after you use one of these torture contraptions to prevent ingrown hairs.

I've done this, still had ingrown hairs from hell. Maybe because I have extra curly hair in general? I don't know but it makes me sad.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

rocketpig posted:

Thanks, this is really helpful

One thing that I found really annoying last night was the applying the wax in the direction the hair grows thing. It's not a problem on my legs coz it is all going in the same direction. Doing a Hollywood I found tricky though coz the hair grows in different directions, I did find it was in the areas where the growth pattern changed where it was more painful.

Yeah, I have a light up magnifying make-up mirror that is really helpful for waxing that area. Using thin, small strips also helps because like you said, the hair grows in a million directions. Also, make sure to trim the hair down to about a 1/2 inch or so before waxing. Pulling out longer hair is more painful and it can be trickier to see the direction that it grows as well.

rocketpig
Feb 5, 2008

candywife posted:

Yeah, I have a light up magnifying make-up mirror that is really helpful for waxing that area. Using thin, small strips also helps because like you said, the hair grows in a million directions. Also, make sure to trim the hair down to about a 1/2 inch or so before waxing. Pulling out longer hair is more painful and it can be trickier to see the direction that it grows as well.

Awesome, thanks.

Ahh, a light up mirror. I was using my little make up mirror and trying to adjust myself so the light was hitting the right areas That would be a lot more officiant.

Rondette
Nov 3, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Enelrahc posted:

I've done this, still had ingrown hairs from hell. Maybe because I have extra curly hair in general? I don't know but it makes me sad.
I have terrible problems with ingrown hairs in my bikini line area, I have found a few products that seem to help (as well as exfoliation)

http://www.tendskin.com/

http://www.nads.com.au/ingrow_solution

These both have seemed to ease my ingrown problem (I still get em though )

rocketpig posted:

I had thought about this a while ago but not sure. With waxing you are covering a reasonably large area in one go so it is over with quite quickly. Can you feel the hairs being plucked out one by one with it? The thought of that on more delicate areas kinda makes me cringe. I tried plucking once when I was being very brave (and had a lot of free time) and that was horrible.

Yeah not gonna lie, it does hurt like a mofo, although I found the more I use it the less painful it gets. Although I tried my armpits once and that was enough. Never again!!!

It helps if you shower beforehand - this opens the pores, and dust the area with talcum powder so that the myriad tweezers grab better at the hairs.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

I just bought an epilator for $30 on Amazon. I'm a guy with a ridiculously hairy body and plan on taking everything off except for my legs/arms (and back since I won't be able to reach it, will have to get that waxed eventually). I've never waxed or even shaved my chest before. I will report on how it goes (oh god I'm scared).

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

I imagine once you get to the pubes it's gonna be like a shoestrings getting caught in a vacuum situation, but I'm eager to hear how it goes.

Burqa King
Nov 19, 2010

Swingline posted:

I just bought an epilator for $30 on Amazon. I'm a guy with a ridiculously hairy body and plan on taking everything off except for my legs/arms (and back since I won't be able to reach it, will have to get that waxed eventually). I've never waxed or even shaved my chest before. I will report on how it goes (oh god I'm scared).

I'd just use electric clippers as the hair doesn't grow back all that fast and it's pain-free. I can reach my back and shoulders this way too.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'm being born!

Last time I used an epilator it was horribly painful and I am really tolerable to plucking, too. Maybe it's the brand I used?

For a while I did sugaring and it was really cheap and easy for the most part. It's water soluble so if you gently caress up or get it everywhere you can wash it off with water, and you can also re-use your fabric strips. It would take me way too long to do both my legs and my crotch so I just stopped doing it, though.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

Also being of the notoriously hairy male populace, I loathe back hair. I want to get it waxed but the only thing I'm not keen on is the growing back stage.
For lols once, my now ex and I cured boredom by shaving my chest and for a couple of weeks after, wearing shirts was just the most... weird feeling.

It was basically like velcro, I'd have to keep peeling the shirt off my chest when I was out and about because it felt awkward.

Now, with waxing, I imagine initially it'll not have this issue since it's tearing the roots out.
But eventually it will get to a unpleasant velcro-esque stage wont it?

Mercyx
May 28, 2013

The hair will grow back. Even in the event that you damage a root, there are other ones there to take its place. It might not be as bad though, because it should (seem) finer because it is a new hair, not an older one you cut off and its still growing.

Honestly, you could consider IPL (like laser but better) hair removal. If you watch those sites like Groupon there are always deals on. You should notice a difference after one treatment even because it should completely kill that root so it can't grow back.

I've had a few treatments on my legs, maybe 2 and it grows in sparse and thinner. They are a tad lighter, because I had laser treatments first, not IPL. But not enough to keep me from treating it again.

It isn't the cheapest thing but it is permanent. The hairs you treat will die. And these group deal things are insanely cheap sometimes. Watch which you go for, there are lasers out there that honestly just bleach your hair which means you can't even go back later and get IPL. I recently bought a 'large' area, six treatments for $189 Canadian.

Tastic
Jun 3, 2005

Tell me more about this IPL stuff? Hurt? Whats the difference between lasers?

Mercyx
May 28, 2013

I haven't been around the industry much in the last few years, so hopefully I'm remembering correctly.

Lasers and IPL both use light, but a laser is actually a laser and uses only one type of light and IPL (Intense Pulse Light) isn't a laser, it uses a broad spectrum of colours. I don't think there is a huge amount of difference in how the treatment works in regards to hair removal (both machines can treat other skin conditions, especially IPL). They target the pigment in the hair follicle under your skin. Thats why people with fair skin and dark hair usually get the best results. I used to attend the seminars from one well known IPL company, and they could treat fair hair and dark skin, unlike lasers. Obviously the results may not be as good and you have to be very careful with dark skin (as you are targeting pigment/colour under the skin).

Both treatments hurt, but lasers apparently hurt more because the light isn't diffused at all and the area it can treat is much smaller. IPL can treat a larger area at once, it depends on the handle used (at least our system, there are different handles that target different colours/are different sizes). IPL is described as feeling like a rubber band snapped against the skin. It hurts when it 'zaps' you, then it doesn't at all after, maybe just feel a little warm. Some people feel like they have a sunburn after, and that's normal.

One thing is super serious though, listen to your technician, especially about the rules regarding tanning and the sun. You CAN get serious burns if you do not follow the instructions. No sun tanning or tanning beds for a few days. I have known of one person who (I think) went directly to a tanning salon after her appointment. They got burned because they didn't listen.

There are ways to keep it from hurting though. If you're a girl, avoid going right near your period. It will hurt more. They should use cold packs/a cold roller. Or (in the case of IPL) the cooling can be built into the machine. If its hurting though, you should tell the person doing it and they can leave the ice on a moment longer. Honestly I had a treatment on a very sensitive area just last week, it was IPL (no cooling built in) and she used the cold roller. I basically didn't feel a thing. A few spots felt like someone was poking me a little bit with a pencil. And the last few zaps actually hurt by comparison (totally understandable considering lol). I'm a wuss though and it was fine.

Even if it does hurt its less than a moment. You aren't sitting there with the light on you, it flashes and they move to the next spot. With practice you can get pretty fast at doing it making it even easier on the person getting treated.

My experience with laser was nearly a decade ago, maybe things have changed but I wouldn't want to try anything but IPL. When we had laser back then it could bleach the hair instead of getting rid of it which is not good. Just go look around on those deal sites like Groupon, DealFind, Living Social. You'll see the deals, I wouldn't personally go for the cheapest one unless I knew which machine they were using and knew it worked. Gotta remember, the lowest end of the good machines is probably around $50,000. The mid range IPL with the cooling, meant for a spa (not medical) goes for $70,000. Insurance you're looking at $5,000+ a year. Gotta pay the girl doing it too. And for at least a lot (maybe all) of these deal sites, they only get 50%. The deal site takes the other half (if someone can explain their accounting re taxes to me, I'd appreciate it. I can't wrap my head around it) But I paid $189 for six treatments on a "medium" area. Their medium is seriously on the small and skimpy side but I'm happy. They use the same brand of machine I'm familiar with and it is totally worth the expense to not worry about shaving or waxing after I'm done.

DuckConference
May 27, 2004

Mercyx posted:

I haven't been around the industry much in the last few years, so hopefully I'm remembering correctly.

I wouldn't say the broad spectrum of IPL is inherently better, since for a given skin tone there will be a "best" wavelength to use and a laser will hit that band more narrowly. And from sites like hairtell.com, it sounds like many of the IPL machines are of lower quality than many laser machines, although this isn't inherent to the technology.

Overall though it does seem like there has been a proliferation of lower-quality machines and poorly-trained operators that means that there are a lot of crappy laser treatments being performed now, with poor results. There was an ask/tell thread about it not too long ago if anyone wants to have a look.

Nahtzee
Jul 10, 2008

I'm all in favour of the epilator. I bought myself a Braun Silk Épil a few months ago and I've never been smoother. The one I have brags that it can grab hairs the size of a grain of sand and that seems pretty much spot on. If you can feel it, it can yank it out of you.

I'd heard horror stories of how painful epilators are but it's just a question of being sensible with it. Shave everything a few days in advance the first time so that it isn't too long but has had time to grow a few millimetres. I don't have any special exfoliating stuff but I do use a sponge with a scrubby side when I'm in the shower. If it hurts, then either give it a rest and work up to it when you can or grit your teeth and get it over and done with.

It works out cheaper than waxing in the long run, it's cheaper than laser hair removal (and I prefer a non-permanent solution) and if you use it regularly, it really doesn't hurt much, even on the more sensitive parts.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

As a male should you trim your hairs you want to wax or just go in to treatment unshaven?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This IPL/laser stuff: can that work on a very small region? Like a .5cm circle? I have a mole on my cheek, it's a flat & not super dark mole, not some big scary thing, but it's just above my beard line and grows thicker hairs. I shave it daily just to keep the hair invisible, but I'd like to just make them go away forever. Is that an option?

rocketpig
Feb 5, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

This IPL/laser stuff: can that work on a very small region? Like a .5cm circle? I have a mole on my cheek, it's a flat & not super dark mole, not some big scary thing, but it's just above my beard line and grows thicker hairs. I shave it daily just to keep the hair invisible, but I'd like to just make them go away forever. Is that an option?

I'm not an expert but I'd say get the mole checked out by a doctor first. Other than the obvious stuff with moles, the skin might be more sensitive in that area. Always best to check with a professional first.

rocketpig
Feb 5, 2008

OK so I just bought an epilator, I've just used it for the first time and ouch! It did give me pretty good results but it is feeling like a pretty scary contraption at the moment.

A couple of questions for people who use one regularly.

Any tips for making it hurt less? I'm hoping it will be like with plucking eyebrows where you just kinda get used to it but any advice in the meantime would be awesome.

I found that there were a couple of places where it had trouble getting the hairs. My knees were pretty tricky and I had to go over them a few times, I also have really fine baby hairs on my thighs and it missed them. Is that the norm or something to do with my technique?

Made with Air
Jan 30, 2007

You can try applying an ice pack on areas after you use the epilator, I find that helped me when I first started using it until I got more used to the pain.

As for the hairs, are you holding the epilator perpendicular to your skin / cleaning it out every so often? I find it doesn't have problems grabbing my finer hair though maybe you just have much, much finer hair than me. The knees have always been tricky for me as well though.

rocketpig
Feb 5, 2008

Thanks Yeah, it's those super fine hairs that are pretty much transparent but you can feel them. Even my razor just glides over those fuckers.

I did use it just after a shower and used some talc (as was suggested here), will try an ice pack for the ankle areas next time.

The Real Foogla
Feb 11, 2008
back in black

A warning from experience: when you have Keratosis Pilaris don't wax or use an epilator on your problem zones. I can do my chest no problem but when I tried my quads I actually had multiple bleeds because whole follicles (plus keratin "filling") get pulled out.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if this is exactly the right thread, but it's definitely close enough. I've been getting Brazilians done for a while now and I love them, not looking to do it myself though. Do any goons have a suggestion for a waxing salon in the Chicagoland area (preferably south suburbs.) I like the one I've been going to but I want to try others out. When I've tried searching I've only found like 6 places that seem to do it and I know that's not true.

Also, th8is is gross and embarrassing, but I seem to be getting a bunch of pimples in that area since I've been waxing more. Is that just because it opens the pores up more than shaving would (please tell me I'm normal and don't have some horrendous autoimmune disease)? Is there anything I can do to prevent them cause I kind of hate it.

rocketpig
Feb 5, 2008

I can't help with the salon thing but the pimples could be ingrown hairs. I get them every so often and they are super annoying. Exfoliating can help and I'm pretty sure there are creams out there that are suppose to help too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

GOOD GOD
MY POSTS ARE TERRIBLE

As a dude with fairly sparse facial hair and shaving problems, is waxing a good option? If so, are there any specific things to consider?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

I'm a gentleman looking to reduce his wind resistance in a variety of socially acceptable activities and I was wondering what this community thought of Nair. How is the process? How long can I expect hairlessness?

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

Skrill.exe posted:

I'm a gentleman looking to reduce his wind resistance in a variety of socially acceptable activities and I was wondering what this community thought of Nair. How is the process? How long can I expect hairlessness?

Nair is alright.
It kinda has the consistency of lotion or sunscreen, and you apply it in a thick coat without rubbing it into your skin. Wait around 3-9 mins (it'll specify on the bottle how long), it'll start smelling like rotten eggs and burning hair and your hair will start becoming softer and softer til it reaches the point of being limp and mushy like over cooked spaghetti. Your skin may or may not be sensitive to the chemicals, some people feel like it's melting their skin off entirely and some people don't feel anything at all. You test a small area, wiping the hair with a washcloth or sometimes they include a little scraper tool and if the hair comes off easily then you're ready to rinse it off in the shower. Don't use soap on your skin after because it'll burn, but there are soothing creams that neutralize the chemicals in the Nair that are really good to use after rinsing.
It lasts about as long as shaving does, but it's good for getting ALL the hair and would be good if you don't currently shave. If you try to shave long body hair, you're gonna need like two razors per limb since they're gonna get clogged up with hair pretty fast.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

candywife posted:

Nair is alright.
It kinda has the consistency of lotion or sunscreen, and you apply it in a thick coat without rubbing it into your skin. Wait around 3-9 mins (it'll specify on the bottle how long), it'll start smelling like rotten eggs and burning hair and your hair will start becoming softer and softer til it reaches the point of being limp and mushy like over cooked spaghetti. Your skin may or may not be sensitive to the chemicals, some people feel like it's melting their skin off entirely and some people don't feel anything at all. You test a small area, wiping the hair with a washcloth or sometimes they include a little scraper tool and if the hair comes off easily then you're ready to rinse it off in the shower. Don't use soap on your skin after because it'll burn, but there are soothing creams that neutralize the chemicals in the Nair that are really good to use after rinsing.
It lasts about as long as shaving does, but it's good for getting ALL the hair and would be good if you don't currently shave. If you try to shave long body hair, you're gonna need like two razors per limb since they're gonna get clogged up with hair pretty fast.

Thank you for your reply to my Nair post which somehow killed the bodyhair thread for 15 days and nights. I guess I'll give shaving a try first.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Skrill.exe posted:

Thank you for your reply to my Nair post which somehow killed the bodyhair thread for 15 days and nights. I guess I'll give shaving a try first.

Everyone knows that invoking the name of Nair requires a fortnight of solitude immediately thereafter.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

gredgie posted:

Also being of the notoriously hairy male populace, I loathe back hair. I want to get it waxed but the only thing I'm not keen on is the growing back stage.
For lols once, my now ex and I cured boredom by shaving my chest and for a couple of weeks after, wearing shirts was just the most... weird feeling.

It was basically like velcro, I'd have to keep peeling the shirt off my chest when I was out and about because it felt awkward.

Now, with waxing, I imagine initially it'll not have this issue since it's tearing the roots out.
But eventually it will get to a unpleasant velcro-esque stage wont it?
Unfortunately yes and I too hated that feeling, I used to get my back waxed every 6-8 weeks but got sick of a) paying $50 each time and b) the pain. Bought myself a $50 Conair to trim my back/chest hair and it has been a godsend, it's very tricky doing some areas but is saving me time, money and pain. One day I think I'll seriously look into permanent hair removal on my back so thanks for the IPL info mercyx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sithwitch13
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I picked up an epilator last week out of curiosity after reading this thread. Not bad, doesn't hurt much/at all on my legs. I tried it on one of my underarms and felt like I was being skinned alive, though.