Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oracle posted:

Is it really subsistence farming if you’ve got markets and trades and pipe weed and money and social classes though?

skasion posted:

Cottage core people aren’t exactly dreaming of grubbing in the dirt for potatoes either lol.

Nah but they pretend to be to sell their influencer bullshit to all the fools who think it's the way white people were meant to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So uh, the Sirannon and the lake at the gates of Moria.

Why is the stream reduced to a trickle? Does the text never address this?

Yes I know it has been dammed, but dams have to let water out at the same rate as it comes in. Where's the water going?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were there in winter. Most of the flow could be in the spring when the snow on the mountains melt

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah true. They do seem surprised that it's flowing so little though, even before they know about the dam/lake. It's presented as a big mystery and the dam is presented as the answer

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Apparently the Watcher in the Water is 90% sponge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There is another stream at the north corner of the pool that they have to cross to get to the door. It doesn’t explicitly say which way it flows and indeed it seems stagnant. Alternative drainage once the dam filled the valley up?

There has to be some kind of subterranean outlet into the water under the mountains too. Unless the tentacle monster came overland.

Flipping forward to the book of Mazarbul we find that some years ago the level of the pool was even higher: “up to the wall” where the fellowship had a patch of dry ground to stand on. Also, it’s repeated that the monster lives at the south end of the pool. Wonder if that’s relevant to the drainage here, or just to explain why it didn’t pick them off before they ever got to the door.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 25, 2024