Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the Book of Lost Tales set of materials it was just ungodly fun for me to see how earnestly he had tried to make his universe into a real live Greek Mythology for England.

Kôr (Tirion) evolving into Warwick, the Elves "fading" and becoming "fairies", the hilarious chip on his shoulder about the Anglo-Saxon invasion ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Did you know that Tove Jansson's illustrated Lord of the Rings are incredible dumb? I didn't! Tank you Cracked for showing me the light.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Did you know that Tove Jansson's illustrated Lord of the Rings are incredible dumb? I didn't! Tank you Cracked for showing me the light.

That Soviet version is close to how I picture him.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
When I first read The Hobbit I imagined a newt-man, complete with snout and tail.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Alhazred posted:

How dare you diss the artist who throws the best wolf/goblin parties ever!

Look at those fuckin' wolves having the time of their lives!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

How dare you diss the artist who throws the best wolf/goblin parties ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2krXq8fw90

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ZeusJupitar posted:

When I first read The Hobbit I imagined a newt-man, complete with snout and tail.

The first time I read The Hobbit, it was a paperback with a picture of Smaug on the front cover. It was fairly abstract too, not entirely clear that it was supposed to be a dragon.

So I read most of the first couple of chapters assuming that Bilbo was supposed to look like the thing on the front cover :v:

In my defence, I was about 9 years old at the time

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I read it again and the whole part from where they leave Buckland and cross the forest, meet Tom Bombabil and eventually reach Bree is the best part of the books.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I read it again and the whole part from where they leave Buckland and cross the forest, meet Tom Bombabil and eventually reach Bree is the best part of the books.

It's up there yeah. Moria is also good.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Shibawanko posted:

Definitely.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think I like it because it takes the vague threat of the horsemen to the background, never really removing it, and instead gives you a few smaller adventures that still feel relatively safe. When the hobbits get lost in the woods and swallowed by the big tree it still feels like a safe, children's story kind of danger, and then you get Tom Bombadil who just owns and whose life every real man should strive to emulate.

The whole story kind of goes south when the ringwraiths get flying dragons and whatnot and Tolkien starts writing about large battles. The first part, where they're just walking along roads and woods and the horsemen might suddenly appear, is way more threatening because it feels more like the kind of thing that's scary in real life, like a mugger following you on the streets, or a bully or something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It doesn't go south so much as he changes the genre of his writing to more epic.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Are we going to get a big budget silmarillion any time soon? Or better, an inverted hobbit so it's a fun hour and a half children's version?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The first Hobbit movie was disappointing but I thought at the time that you could do a fan edit to cut all the crap and still have 30-40 minutes of decent material. Then do that for the next two movies and you'd have a nice little picture.

Then the second one opens by cutting one of my favorite parts of the book as they all just run inside Beorn's house and completely loses the plot from then on and that idea went out the window.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The Hobbit movie mostly disappointed me because they did such a good job with LotR (albeit Christopher would disagree with me).

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

TildeATH posted:

Are we going to get a big budget silmarillion any time soon? Or better, an inverted hobbit so it's a fun hour and a half children's version?

I'm sure Warner Bros wants to continue the LOTR money train as much as they can, but I think I read that they didn't get the rights to the Silmarillion when they got everything else. That said, what material would they use I wonder? Children of Hurin got its own book, but maybe there are other things they at least could base something on. They'd have to create a lot of filler in any case. Akallabeth? Beren and Luthien? Some overarching story encompassing all the major battles?

hannibal fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 20, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turin Turambar is way too depressing for anything that would be filmed today. Same for Beren and Lutien. It's over.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I mean I guess you could do some crazy movie about the valar and the fall of Melkor and his pursuit and binding? It would be a pretty trippy thing but we've ha da bunch of god movies like the ones about greek and egyptian ones, so who knows. I doubt that they have the rights to all that though, and I feel like Jackson included the extra bits he could manage in the Hobbit because those were the last gasp they were getting out of it.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

euphronius posted:

Turin Turambar is way too depressing for anything that would be filmed today. Same for Beren and Lutien. It's over.

Considering how well GoT does with crazy unlikable characters, incest, and everyone dying, I think Turin could actually go over pretty well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got isn't a movie

Turin would be a great mini series yeah .

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Silmarillion has enough murder and intrigue to fly, but I don't think it has enough tits and infidelity to really fly in the modern environment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nienor is mostly naked!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Silmarillion mostly deals with abstract concepts like the Valar creating the earth along with Eru. Even if that could get put down there's a lot of religious packaging to go along with it. I'm not sure that any studio today could portray that well.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Children of Hurin

By Michael Haneke

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best adaptation of the Silmarillion would be similar to Fantasia, I think.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bongo Bill posted:

I think you could get an opera out of all that Feanor poo poo.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, that was my first thought too. At least for all the god stuff.

Nessus posted:

I think you could get an opera out of all that Feanor poo poo.

Agreed.

euphronius posted:

Turin Turambar is way too depressing for anything that would be filmed today. Same for Beren and Lutien.

Yes. But Túrin could make for a good series.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bongo Bill posted:

http://www.evanpalmercomics.com/ainulindale/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bongo Bill posted:

Scored by Blind Guardian.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Scored by Blind Guardian.

why not by dragonforce if you want to be mean

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

why not by dragonforce if you want to be mean

Most Tolkien fans I know seem to like BG's Silmarillion tribute album.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What do y'all think of Johan de Meij's Lord of the Rings Symphony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTXVES2ENo

I fell in love with it in high school, but then I was a band nerd and it played to all my preconceptions perfectly. It's a very "visual" piece of music, and it kind of writes itself as the putative backdrop to a kind of montage version of some of the story's greatest hits (though not with any kind of real narrative coherence). But I wonder whether it doesn't hold up as well anymore as it did in the days before Jackson and Shore changed all the ground rules.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

Most Tolkien fans I know seem to like BG's Silmarillion tribute album.

Yeah. Not that big a fan of their other stuff, but that album's great.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There would be so much made up stuff in a silmarillion movie and that would be perfect.

HIJK posted:

The Silmarillion mostly deals with abstract concepts like the Valar creating the earth along with Eru. Even if that could get put down there's a lot of religious packaging to go along with it. I'm not sure that any studio today could portray that well.

It's all western Christian stuff so I think it'd work out fine.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 22, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Christians only believe in 3 gods, not 16 or whatever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's only one God in lotr.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

euphronius posted:

Christians only believe in 3 gods, not 16 or whatever.

Not quite. Take this to the Liturgigoons thread and someone can give a better explanation of this Mystery than I.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I always thought Tolkien and metal were a poor match.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Shibawanko posted:

Not at all. Though Blind Guardian is not everybody's cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Clearly you have not read of the death of Filgolfin. :colbert: