Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Silvan elves? I guess those are elves. Ok. Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The implication seems to be that the elf economy revolves around 1) limited agriculture and hunting, and 2) extremely high-skill handicrafts.

I imagine elven agriculture as being a lot like some of the theories about pre-columbian South American agriculture. Looks like a forest but oh look there's a *reason* the rain forest has so many edible-fruit-bearing trees etc.

Yeah, this is pretty much it I think. Over *time* the wilds around an elven settlement have been carefully cultivated so that there is always something to just sort of pick up and eat. If you're feeling plucky you can take 5 minutes with your super bow skills and super stealth and kill something.

Elven wine and bread are so exceptional because some elf actually took time out of their busy poetry slam schedule to do something productive.

As far as hobbit feudalism goes I always just assumed that since they had no real external threats and their land was like the perfect fertile valley and they have a super valuable export crop that the pretty much gave no fucks and mostly just tithed stuff up the chain out of habit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No they were part of and established by an explicit feudal monarchy and protected by the remnants of same on the request of Gandalf.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Meanwhile, the Dwarves just went "gently caress that noise" with regards to farming of any kind. They just focus on making awesome weapons, armor and various gizmos (I think I remember toys being mentioned) and trade them for food.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

euphronius posted:

As for elves I don't think they farm. They are much to blue blood for that. So they probably just don't eat much. But they make bread and wine so who knows. You can make bread and wine from gathering stuff that grows in the wild.

I dunno, I mean elves revere Yavanna a whole lot don't they? I doubt they would see growing things as a lower class occupation. Although I wouldn't be surprised if their version of farming was less manual labor and more singing to the trees or some poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elves convince the plants to farm themselves. They don't till soil, but they do harvest - probably mostly directly before mealtime. Everyone is a craftsman, and some people's craft is gardening. The garden is the entire forest.

Doing things the hard way is for men.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

No they were part of and established by an explicit feudal monarchy and protected by the remnants of same on the request of Gandalf.

Yeah, initially. A thousand years later though? Habit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Radio! posted:

I dunno, I mean elves revere Yavanna a whole lot don't they? I doubt they would see growing things as a lower class occupation. Although I wouldn't be surprised if their version of farming was less manual labor and more singing to the trees or some poo poo.

I've read everything and there was no farms. But you are right signing to plants seems likely.

No wait I think there was farms around gondolin?

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
A surprising amount of elves live underground, I figure they have like hydroponics going on down there. Sun lamps blessed with the Light of The Trees and poo poo.

And obviously those hicks in Mirkwood eat spiders.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

Silvan elves? I guess those are elves. Ok. Sure.

Bendigeidfran posted:

And obviously those hicks in Mirkwood eat spiders.

Legolas was clearly modeled after one of the Deliverance villains.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Legolas wasn't a silvan elf. He was a real elf.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eh I guess the Sindar and Nandor are close in elf purity terms.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
The helpful nerds at Stack Exchange have assembled most of the textual evidence for Elven diet here. We've gone over most of the answers in thread, though the mention of mead here:

The Lay of the Children of Hurin posted:

On a time was Turin at the table of Thingol there was laughter long and the loud clamour of a countless company that quaffed the mead, amid the wine of Dor-Winion that went ungrudged in their golden goblets; and goodly meats there burdened the boards, neath the blazing torches.

suggests that bee-keeping for honey was also practiced.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If you ask me the Noldor reached Peak Elf. The Vanyar were closest to the gods but as a result barely did anything and just hung out on their mountain all day. The Teleri were silly beach elves with seashell houses and doing gently caress knows what, the others like the Sindar and the Nandor never even saw the Light of Aman. I mean what kind of elf is that. poo poo.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Was Thranduin Noldor? I can't remember.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ynglaur posted:

Sindar. Made king of the Silvan Elves of the Woodland Kingdom because there's a strict hierarchy of which elves are Better, and if a Better Elf is living among you, why, he's just naturally going to be in charge. The natural order of things.

See also why Lothlorien, originally a Nandorin realm, was ruled by a Sindar and a Noldor. Them poo poo-tier elves just know their place.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Sindar. Made king of the Silvan Elves of the Woodland Kingdom because there's a strict hierarchy of which elves are Better, and if a Better Elf is living among you, why, he's just naturally going to be in charge. The natural order of things.

See also why Lothlorien, originally a Nandorin realm, was ruled by a Sindar and a Noldor. Them poo poo-tier elves just know their place.

I thought Celeborn was later retconned to be Noldor, and came over with Galadriel rather than hooking up in Doriath.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ynglaur posted:

I thought Celeborn was later retconned to be Noldor, and came over with Galadriel rather than hooking up in Doriath.

Unfinished Tales has him being Teleri, but in Silmarillion he's listed as Thingol's great-nephew or something.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
are the bog elves actually any different from the orcs?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hogge Wild posted:

are the bog elves actually any different from the orcs?

*looks at Äteritsiputeritsipuolilautatsijänkä*

No.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Thranduil was king based on skull measurements.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Sindar.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tho Sindar are still under Noldor because they never went to Aman.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Ah, finally found the Tolkien thread. I knew there had to be one somewhere on these forums.

No idea if any of you know about it, but my old school and Tolkien's alma mater, King Edward's, made a short film about his time at the school and then Oxford and WW1 https://vimeo.com/110810980

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

If you ask me the Noldor reached Peak Elf. The Vanyar were closest to the gods but as a result barely did anything and just hung out on their mountain all day. The Teleri were silly beach elves with seashell houses and doing gently caress knows what, the others like the Sindar and the Nandor never even saw the Light of Aman. I mean what kind of elf is that. poo poo.

0/10 would not sail into the west with

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

To be fair, Galadriel was the eldest and most powerful entity that wasn't "a maiar or something" in Middle-earth at the time. Good choice for a queen I'd say

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
There's going to be a Christopher Tolkien edited standalone The Tale of Beren and Lúthien in 2017.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Roark posted:

There's going to be a Christopher Tolkien edited standalone The Tale of Beren and Lúthien in 2017.

Good. I love that story.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Roark posted:

I hope Sauron appears as Tevildo, Prince of Cats and forces Beren to do the dishes in his kitchen.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
New Tolkien biopic's being planned, with the somewhat uncreative name of Middle Earth. Not sure if it'll get off the ground honestly. While I find Tolkien to be a very endearing person and would def. enjoy a good film about him, his estate is a bit...touchy about these things.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It would be fine if there was the slightest hope that his story would be treated with respect, but as it is...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Shiretalk: the only reason the Shire was safe was because of centuries of protection by the Rangers. It's not that it is a backwater with no evil, its safety is an artificial creation.

Also it is kind of a post-apocalyptic wasteland: it's mentioned a few times that they used to have more machines and stuff but now all that is in a special museum.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brainiac Five posted:

The History of The Hobbit, John Rateliff. Seven bucks for the Kindle edition. Guy did his doctorate on Lord Dunsany and was a close personal friend of Taum Santoski, who gets a lot of mentions in the LOTR sections of the HoME volumes. Santoski started working on a textual history of The Hobbit and Rateliff ended up completing it.

In the middle of reading this BTW, great recommendation!

Rateliff kinda cracks me up from time to time though—he adheres like a motherfucker to the HoME footnote format for all his coverage of the various manuscript versions and he is clearly very well read, but he has apparently never encountered the words "burbling" or "whirring" and feels the need to put glossary footnotes for them with OED citations :wtc:

I mean gently caress me

WHAT IS THIS NEW MYSTERY

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 1, 2016

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

sat on my keys! posted:

Actually, Orthanc was built the way it looks in the Fellowship at the start, complete with the claw/fang bits on top. Numenoreans were mean colonial overlords.

To get why the Ring would let Gondor win, it helps to understand why they were losing. Gondor couldn't coordinate effectively with the Elves, who should have been their allies in the war. They act as a shield for the rest of the Free Peoples. The elves have not left their forests and sanctuaries for a long time, because those areas are protected. Galadriel protects Lorien with her Ring - enemies get lost and cannot pass its borders. When the Nazgul ride west to find Frodo, they try to avoid passing near Lorien, because it's a hated place for them. The One Ring would let Sauron/anyone else see the thoughts of the other ring bearers, and know what they were planning and their true strength. It would let (after you learned to control it) you command anyone who wore a Ring of Power. So Gondor/Sauron would be able to command the elves to do whatever they/he wanted. Their defenses would be useless.

Gondor also has a real manpower and morale shortage. The Rings in general (Gandalf uses his for this!) give you the ability to charm/inspire/convince/intimidate other people. Sauron with the Ring was able to convince the Numenoreans to completely destroy themselves very quickly. It could also be used to terrify groups of people into fighting for you - the Orcs (and the Nazgul) are in this situation. What they want to do doesn't matter (the Orcs actually really don't like working for Sauron), but their loathing is exceeded only by their fear. So Gondor could press gang basically everyone into fighting for them, and they could fight harder and longer for the same reason people who are running for their lives can run farther than they normally could.

Sauron built the foundations to Barad-dur with the Ring, and the base of the tower couldn't be destroyed while the Ring survived. Sauron was originally a Maia of Aule i.e. he had like 30 base ranks in smithing, but the Ring allows you to build things that are basically indestructible. Gondor could have reinforced their walls and survived basically any siege.

Tolkien writes in a letter that if Gollum hadn't bit off Frodo's finger, the Nazgul would have come, but they wouldn't have been able to hurt Frodo directly while he had the One Ring. Instead, they would have tried to distract him by talking and flattery until Sauron could show up himself, in which case Frodo would have been completely defeated. Before he got to the Sammath Naur, Frodo never claimed the Ring, so the Nazgul could attack him directly.

Basically the Ring lets you take "shortcuts" to power that you haven't earned. You don't have to actually do the work of convincing people to support you, you can just force them. You don't have to convince them to do the right thing, you can just force them (so goodness doesn't matter any more - what does it mean to do the right thing if you have no other choice?). You don't have to inspire them to fight with you, you can just force them.

Also, the Ring wouldn't have made Gandalf or Galadriel invisible. It only has that effect on things that don't have forms in the Wraith/Spirit world - mortals, dark elves, hobbits, orcs, and dwarves.

tl;dr :goonsay:

I was reading backwards and saw this post:

This is actually something I've wondered about for a while. I actually remember reading the Middle Earth Role Playing game book, and it giving a description of the effects of the ring, in typical roleplaying game fashion (increases the effects and duration of all spells by three times, etc.). I think the ring works better as a metaphor for spiritual corruption than by treating it in the mechanistic way of roleplaying games.

One thing about the ring: how did the Last Alliance succeed against Sauron while he had the ring? Was it because there were more elves and men in Middle Earth, and they had better technology and organization? Was it because the elves and men had stronger "magic" to resist Sauron on that level? Because if we take the ring as being something that reflects the corruption of "Arda Marred", a way that Sauron was tapping into the evil tendencies of the world itself, then it seems odd that his armies could be destroyed just by having a few more Numenoreans with sharper swords.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
if you try to come at LotR in terms of strict logistics rather than as constructed mythology and repurposed catholic doctine you're going to come up short imo

has anyone read tolkien's Lay of Aotrou and Itroun?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

This is actually something I've wondered about for a while. I actually remember reading the Middle Earth Role Playing game book, and it giving a description of the effects of the ring, in typical roleplaying game fashion (increases the effects and duration of all spells by three times, etc.). I think the ring works better as a metaphor for spiritual corruption than by treating it in the mechanistic way of roleplaying games.

One thing about the ring: how did the Last Alliance succeed against Sauron while he had the ring? Was it because there were more elves and men in Middle Earth, and they had better technology and organization? Was it because the elves and men had stronger "magic" to resist Sauron on that level? Because if we take the ring as being something that reflects the corruption of "Arda Marred", a way that Sauron was tapping into the evil tendencies of the world itself, then it seems odd that his armies could be destroyed just by having a few more Numenoreans with sharper swords.

Well by the point of the Last Alliance, basically none of the Free Peoples were willing to listen to Sauron anymore. He kind of had to get a "foot in the door" as it were, once you started taking his advice it was hard to stop, but if you didn't in the first place he had to physically beat you which he wasn't very good at doing. The remaining Elves were survivors of the war in Eregion (where Sauron had betrayed the remaining Noldor and stolen the Rings from Celebrimbor) and the Numenorean refugees were the Elf-friends who hadn't listened to Sauron about trying to assault Valinor. Since they weren't willing to give him the figurative time of day, he had to use his armies against them. Ar-Pharazon had already smacked the poo poo out of Sauron's forces earlier, and there were more Elves left in Middle-Earth at this time. As well, even the refugees from Numenor (Elendil and his sons and their people) were "better"/"stronger" than the best humans of the late Third Age you meet in LOTR.

The Last Alliance beseiged Barad-dur for years and years, and only when all his armies were destroyed did Sauron come out to fight them himself. He kind of sucks at physical confrontations (even with the Ring), so Elendil and Gil-Galad were able to beat him though they died in the process.

To add a little bit more to this: How easy it was for Sauron to convince you it was hopeless to fight and you had to do what he said depended on both how strong-willed you were and how good a person you were. The Elves and freshly-minted Arnor/Gondorians were very good and very strong-willed people. In LOTR, it takes Sauron ages to convince Denethor that it's hopeless to resist, because he's good and very willful. In fact, none of Sauron's other servants were strong enough to use the Palantir and fight with Denethor in this way. But Saruman was (relatively) easy to corrupt, even though he was very strong-willed, because he'd already kind of independently come around to the idea that it was OK to dominate weaker people into doing what he wanted (something he used his super-charming voice/really high CHA score for). The Elves immediately took off their Rings of Power once they realized what had happened to Celebrimbor, so Sauron couldn't attack them that way.

sat on my keys! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 1, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

glowing-fish posted:

Sauron was quite a bit weaker at that point. As Elrond says during the Council of Elrond, "had I a host of Elves in armor of the Elder Days it would do little but arouse the wrath of Sauron." Sauron at the end of the Third Age is strong enough that the army of Gondolin would be useless against him. But the armies of Lindon didn't get steamrollered, and Galadriel and Elrond could hold him off without using the Three. He didn't dare venture past Calenardhon for 1500 years or so after his defeat by Tar-Minastir. So Sauron was weaker back then. And it makes sense. He didn't have three thousand years of working to inspire Morgoth-cults, he didn't have the major political fracture between Gondor and Harad to exploit, Pelargir was safe enough for the Faithful to use as a harbor, he may not even have had that many orcs based on the last.

In addition, there were more Elves for sure, since we know that after Sauron's overthrow most remaining Noldor and many Sindar left for Eressea. Their technology was "better" in that they had a lembas equivalent, and the ability to make structures like Isengard and the outer walls of Minas Tirith, Minas Anor, and Osgiliath. But I don't know if that necessarily translates into hugely superior military equipment.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Brainiac Five posted:

Sauron was quite a bit weaker at that point. As Elrond says during the Council of Elrond, "had I a host of Elves in armor of the Elder Days it would do little but arouse the wrath of Sauron." Sauron at the end of the Third Age is strong enough that the army of Gondolin would be useless against him. But the armies of Lindon didn't get steamrollered, and Galadriel and Elrond could hold him off without using the Three. He didn't dare venture past Calenardhon for 1500 years or so after his defeat by Tar-Minastir. So Sauron was weaker back then. And it makes sense. He didn't have three thousand years of working to inspire Morgoth-cults, he didn't have the major political fracture between Gondor and Harad to exploit, Pelargir was safe enough for the Faithful to use as a harbor, he may not even have had that many orcs based on the last.

In addition, there were more Elves for sure, since we know that after Sauron's overthrow most remaining Noldor and many Sindar left for Eressea. Their technology was "better" in that they had a lembas equivalent, and the ability to make structures like Isengard and the outer walls of Minas Tirith, Minas Anor, and Osgiliath. But I don't know if that necessarily translates into hugely superior military equipment.

Part of the legendarium's charm is that so many things are never really described, especially the power levels of the Maiar and what they actually do. Gandalf fights off the Ringwraiths on Weathertop? How does he do it? By casting fireballs? By meditating on the music of the Ainur and defeating them on a spiritual level? We aren't supposed to know.

Some of it seems to be Tolkien's own evolving mythology. We have Morgoth presented as an enemy commander who could have possibly been defeated by Fingolfin, and is also a gnostic spirit greater than all the Valar put together, whose being infused all of Arda. I think Sauron is kind of treated the same way: on one hand, an agent in the world, with limitations, but also as someone who has an intrinsic control of the world.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's metaphorical, like how that horn brought down the walls of Jericho compared to galadriel laying bare the pits of dol guldur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

glowing-fish posted:

Gandalf fights off the Ringwraiths on Weathertop? How does he do it? By casting fireballs? By meditating on the music of the Ainur and defeating them on a spiritual level? We aren't supposed to know.

Personally, I like the idea that half of Gandalf's magic is knowing how to make explosives. He's always packing a few homemade hand grenades.