Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I always liked John Blanche's depictions of various Middle-Earth scenes.

Battle of Five Armies

Fall of Gondolin, it's a lot bigger than that but that's the only picture I could find that wasn't blurry

David Day's A Tolkien Bestiary has a lot of John Blanche's work, as well as others. It's a nice compendium of information on everything you'd generally want to know about people and places.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Having the Atlas of Middle-Earth on hand while reading The Silmarillion has actually made reading it bearable because I can get an idea of where the gently caress places are, what regions are ruled by what people, what people are doing during a big battle, etc.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Mine has a map in the back but that starts to become a pain in the rear end to flip to and it doesn't show who rules what.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Levitate posted:

Did Christopher Tolkien actually write anything at all that wasn't basically just editing his fathers notes?

I don't think so.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Well, Khamūl the Shadow of the East isn't made up at least

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Nevermind.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The first edition has Gollum willingly betting his magic ring on the riddle game, while the revised edition has Gollum being aggressive and cagey about the ring and Bilbo finding it by chance.

He started a new version of The Hobbit to try and better line everything up with Lord of the Rings but he gave up because it just didn't feel like The Hobbit anymore.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 9, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
And he did dominate Middle-Earth after the Battle of Unnumbered Tears.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Smoking Crow posted:

Is Sauron pronounced "Sowron" or "Saron?"

In the Note on Pronunciations in the Silmarillion:

AU has the value of English ow in town; thus the first syllable of Aulė is like English owl, and the first syllable of Sauron is like English sour, not sore.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I always saw the boring countryside chapters as a way to build up the horror of all the little rumors you read about poo poo not being right back home, and then finally the Scouring of the Shire chapter.

e: But when I first read it of course I was like man when is the epic fantasy poo poo gonna happen

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 12, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

100YrsofAttitude posted:

And despite all that she's no Feanor, that is she's not a rotten jerk. She'd make a great character study.

I like her slam on Feanor that takes a couple of eons to complete: He begs her three times for a strand of her hair and she refuses him. Turns around and gives three strands of her hair to a dwarf.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The Eagles were closely associated with Manwe and were his messengers so I just assume that they probably wouldn't have been down to transport the ring because the Valar made it clear not to help the people of Middle-Earth and "solve all their problems" for them. I would imagine the Eagles would have picked up on that or been told that directly.

I mean yeah it's still a big plot hole that Tolkien never fleshed out in any substantial way but that's how I explain it to myself.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Early in the Silmarillion it said that hawks and eagles and other birds would fly in to Valinor to bring news to Manwe, so I guess they could gently caress off and fly away if they wanted to.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

euphronius posted:

I don't know what you are reading. There is no mechanized warfare.

He probably read an excerpt from the Book of Lost Tales II which had some early drafts of the Fall of Gondolin, he did write mechanized warfare in there at one point:

quote:

...beasts like snakes and dragons of irresistible might . . . Some were all of iron so cunningly linked that they might flow like slow rivers of metal or coil themselves around and above all obstacles before them, and these were filled in their innermost depths with the grimmest of the Orcs with scimitars and spears; others of bronze and copper were given hearts and spirits of blazing fire, and they blasted all that stood before them with the terror of their snorting or trampled whatso escaped the ardour of their breath; yet others were creatures of pure flame that writhed like ropes of molten metal, and they brought ruin to whatever fabric they came night, and iron and stone melted before them and became as water, and upon them rode the Balrogs in hundreds; and these were the most dire of all the monsters which Melko devised against Gondolin.

But all of that was eventually removed.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 20, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

SirPhoebos posted:

Another movie question: did the Hobbit actually have Dune worms in it?

Bilbo says this: "Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild were-worms in the Last Desert."

And that's literally the only time they are mentioned ever. Anywhere.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

VanSandman posted:

I love the idea that Galadriel gave to Gimli, who asked humbly, what she would not give to Feanor, her rightful king.

Feanor asked three times for a single strand of her hair.

Gimli asks for one strand of hair and gets three.

Nice little Feanor own right there.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

jivjov posted:

If I wanted to collect this particular printing of The History of Middle Earth:

Is there a good way to go about it? Amazon has like 30 different versions and editions listed, and its really hard to track down this particular design.

Get them all here

Though certain books sell out and you may have to wait for a bit to fill in your gaps. For example, War of the Jewels is sold out right now but everything else is available.

I'm missing one or two but they are in that style of cover and they are brand new so you don't have to hunt around for them.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 30, 2015

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

jivjov posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they ship to the US :(

Once you make an account and input your shipping address and start to checkout it will change to international shipping based on where you're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What was the Annatar scene?

In Return of the King that ending fight between the cave troll and Aragorn was actually Sauron. They apparently had him coming out of the gates in his 'fair, beautiful' Annatar form before breaking the illusion and fighting Aragorn as the black armored Sauron. Ended up making a cave troll over Sauron in the end.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 4, 2016