Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

All whack with poo brain.
I can't lie; Silmarillion was always and will always be my favorite. :allears:

I was introduced to all of Tolkien's stuff when I was about 8 or so. I was sick and my dad told me that he knew I was probably too old for it, but he had a book that he wanted to read to me, while I was sitting around feeling miserable. (I also grew up watching the Princess Bride, so if this scenario sounds familiar, it was not a coincidence, I'm sure.)

In any case, it was The Hobbit, and I was so giddy (and recovered) by the time that he'd worked through the whole book over the course of a week that he just coyly asked "wouldn't it be great if there were more books like this? Oh look! There are!" He wanted to read all of LotR to me, but by a chapter in, he didn't have the free time to match my desire to hear more story, so I ended up reading ahead and ultimately finishing the series in about a week. It's fair to say that I completely loved these books, and reread them constantly, thinking they were all that existed.

...and then I was given a copy of The Silmarillion. After a while, I stopped rereading Hobbit and LotR, and instead just spent all of my time reading and rereading the appendixes and trying to commit all of the languages and writing systems to memory. To this day, I can still transcribe things into Tengwar, and for some reason I have a tendency to try and explain to people how the system works, whenever I'm sufficiently inebriated, whether they care to know or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU