Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I've re-read LotR and The Hobbit every couple of years since I was 12 or so. When my first copy wore out I got a box set that included the Reader's Companion.

I wouldn't recommend it if it's your first time reading, but I liked it as it follows along the LotR page by page and brings up interesting tid-bits about what you're reading, like how previous drafts of the same chapter evolved and how off handed references you would never think twice about tie into Tolkien's other works (published and unpublished).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Chris doesn't have an imaginative bone in his body, and has made his life's work editing and compiling everything his father did. Someone else interpreting daddy's books, and interpreting them well, is simply intolerable.

That's just my take on it, not really based on anything I've read him say.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

It's fungus, bro.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Yes, yes, 1000% yes. I'm having the same problem with KS Robinson's Mars series atm, with all its scarps, arroyos, karsts, pingos, moraines and fellfields.

I read this series on a kindle and must have used the dictionary function for "karsts" at least a dozen times.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

euphronius posted:

I mean the world inside the frame is the book is racist . For humans If you have better blood you are better. Live longer, taller, stronger, more handsome, etc. elves are better than humans and some elves are better than others for old reasons .

There is a CYOA on these very forums that takes this premise to it's logical extreme, set in a pre-biblical not-Mesopotamia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

skasion posted:

There are no rules in fiction lol. Just get a pen and paper and start lying.