Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Aule created the dwarves, which gives him the best track record. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's interesting to note that all points of view are either from people Frodo could have talked to, or people he could have linked with due to the ring.

As far as the fox goes, I'll blame it on Sam making poo poo up. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SirPhoebos posted:

If Morgoth is incapable of creating life, only perverting it to his devices, then from where did he derive the dragons?

Yet Another Maia of Aule x20

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's a hella good book, my dad isn't even into reading very much and he's adored it ever since he was a little kid.

Yup.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SirPhoebos posted:

Actually I was wondering, since Tolkein dropped the whole Last Battle thing from the mythology, is Ar-Pharazon and crew just stuck there permanently then?

I don't think they survived. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I always found Tolkien's view of atheism interesting, though it's a bit difficult separating his "in Arda" views from his real life views.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Aule is cool. Sure, his Maiar have a tendency to become shitheads, but that's hardly his fault.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think Feanor is an annoying git. :shrug: I'm more of a Fingolfin fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aB6CPyO0Ww

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ravenfood posted:

Feanor's incredibly interesting in part because he's, uh, very flawed, to be polite.

Eh, he's just a selfish rear end in a top hat who happens to be really powerful and talented. Some of his sons have a lot more depth to them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Effectronica posted:

Fëanor is interesting to me because he makes clear that Melkor isn't the source of evil, and that Elves are urged to much greater evils than other intelligent creatures. Where a Dwarf's desire to accumulate beautiful things or a Man's desire for bodily immortality can be something that only harms themselves, the Elven desire to hold things in perfect stasis is inherently harmful to the world around them.

Although one could argue that Feanor's actions are an echo of Melkor's song.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's OK, that's the best crime to be guilty of. :v:

Ungoliant either hosed off to the darkness outside the world, or ate herself. Which one it really was, it's not clarified anywhere.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Saruman thought Gandalf needed a broader perspective. And he's prone to taking things too literally, what with all the cogs, gears, and smoke in his mind. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Cast it back into the fiery chasm whence it came.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Russians have one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84xJweX8XM8

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It would mean Frodo and Sam wouldn't be present at the Scouring of the Shire, for one. Not in the movies, but kind of a big deal in the books.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Frodo does actually have one major role after Mount Doom. It's only mentioned in one sentence near the end of the Scouring, but he was basically doing warcrime prevention duty during and immediately after the Scouring by calming down revenge-bent hobbits.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TildeATH posted:

Pretty sure it was an Easterling and not a Southron, since there were elephants involved. Also, pretty sure the publisher at that time wouldn't have given a poo poo about blatant racism and if he had might have suggested that Tolkien not compare blacks to trolls.

Wait, what?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kassad posted:

This unfortunate sentence in the battle of Pelennor Fields chapter in The Return of the King: "black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues"

Yiiikes. :stare:

I guess the translation I read made it sound less, uh... yeah...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Though, ironically...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, I expected the elves to have a sense of humor, for one. :v:

The songs are pretty much completely different than what I imagined them as. (It's a weird feeling listening to them and feeling "there's something wrong here" despite the movie versions of the songs being much, much better than anything I imagined when I read them. It's just... there's something special about being a kid and weaving in your own tune as you flip the pages, and the movies clearly can't match that)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That post resulted in a rainbow elf dildo with acorn nuts, by the way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's Sauron, the lord of underhanded bullshit, he probably made the plague during his tenure as the Necromancer for just that purpose.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

cptn_dr posted:

Help I'm screaming and I can't stop

Oh, come on, they're not that baaaahahahahahaha, sorry, I can't do this with a straight face.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

elise the great posted:

REALLY BAD THEORY TIME.

If you haven't yet, read "The Last Ringbearer"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

my dad posted:

If you haven't yet, read "The Last Ringbearer"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There are pretty clearly working class elves in The Hobbit. Remember the guys in the wine cellar. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hogge Wild posted:

are the bog elves actually any different from the orcs?

*looks at Äteritsiputeritsipuolilautatsijänkä*

No.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

glowing-fish posted:

On another topic:

How do you read Fingolfin's battle against Morgoth, specifically as to why he did it.

The easy interpretation is that he was a brave, shining Elf Lord with a fast horse and a sharp sword who epically fought Morgoth face to face.

The other interpretation is that Fingolfin was irresponsible, selfish, and acting out of pure frustration, instead of doing his duty to help his army survive, by doing the less glamorous task of guiding them through a retreat.

Not that Fingolfin's actions were solely selfish, but it seems that challenging Morgoth to one on one combat is at least a little macho, for lack of a better term.

The book is fairly explicit in describing the state of utter despair Fingolfin was in. I'd call it a mix of suicide-by-copsatan and attempt to cause at least some hurt to Morgoth in what seemed at the time like Melkor's moment of ultimate triumph.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hey, at least it's not Foundation. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sassassin posted:

It's garbage and Christopher Lee hated it.

He also explained to Christopher Lee just what a person who's had their throat slit with a knife sounds like.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

u brexit ukip it posted:

Christopher Lee was the one doing the explaining because he was a badass who shanked Nazis during the war.

That's what Christopher Lee did as a reaction to that, yes. :v:

I meant it in an "waiter telling a chef how to cook" sort of thing.

e: But to stop pretending, though, that was a derp on my part, I meant to write Steve Jackson and have no idea how the gently caress I managed to write Christopher Lee instead.

e2: vvvv Goddamnit :cripes: Stop owning yourself, me

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 2, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sassassin posted:

Tom is evil and no good can come from listening to him.

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! Sassassin!
poo poo goes the poster-wind and the thread goes gassin.
Down along under bridge, trolling far from sunlight,
Waiting in the Book Barn, hoggin all the spotlight,
There our fancy gooner is, at least he's not a swatter,
Slender as the cheeto-beast, fouling up the water.
But Tom Bombadil, poor thread ratings bringing
Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing?
Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o!
Goonberry, Goonberry, merry neckbeard berry-o!
Poor old Sassin-man, you tuck your lard away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again better posts a-bringing.
Hey! Come goony boy! Can you hear me singing?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PMush Perfect posted:

Can't exactly blame him. I hear basically the same thing from anyone who does voice work for a video game, it's so completely different from actual acting because it's just line after line after line with no back-and-forth with the people you'd normally be acting or sharing a recording booth with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2up8h1tMmck&t=96s

Regarding voicework, it's an issue of how industrial the approach is, and what kind of a game it is, though. With a little fun and joy shared among the game creators, you can also have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQykP9NHJXU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Octy posted:

A direct descendant from an unbroken line dating back almost 2000 years sounds bloody unlikely, however, I'll eat my hat to see these supposed records.

Elves.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

euphronius posted:

Aragorns direct line is in the appendix

Trin Tragula posted:

Sorry, where in the books does it discuss Numenorean anatomy? I think you've got confused there

I love this thread. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Steamhead Duardin.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

MOOOOOOM! John is playing with my jewelry again.
John, return your sister's ring!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
NEVER stop posting. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Tolkien's Middle-Earth Legendarium: Come for the elf dicks, stay for the random piss stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Porque no los dos?