Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

tnimark posted:

Thank you for this. I've listened to the first 4 episodes and it's great. I can't believe how fascinating I found the pizza tours episode. Definitely not something I'd have made an effort to check out without that enthusiastic recommendation.

I've listened to about 10 episodes now after that post and this is my new favorite podcast. I think it works so well because Jeff Rubin is such a great host. The interviews are great (especially the R.L. Stine ep) and the guests/topic are great for my demographic (late 20's/early 30's).

My favorite episodes are the aforementioned R.L. Stine and Action Park, the world's most dangerous waterpark. Can't wait to burn through more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I love when Skeptoid does listener feedback because it's so easy to dismiss. Plus Dunning does a really good job of explaining how someone should look at evidence (Which is basically "Actually look at all the evidence, properly, and don't discount it because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived ideas"). It sounds so simple but...well if it was there wouldn't be conspiracy theories.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've listened to about 10 episodes now after that post and this is my new favorite podcast. I think it works so well because Jeff Rubin is such a great host. The interviews are great (especially the R.L. Stine ep) and the guests/topic are great for my demographic (late 20's/early 30's).

My favorite episodes are the aforementioned R.L. Stine and Action Park, the world's most dangerous waterpark. Can't wait to burn through more.

I'm listening to them in order and I got a little excited when I saw that R.L. Stine episode near the top of the feed. I was a huge Goosebumps fan when I was a kid (my collection of ~100 books is still somewhere at my parents' place) and I know nothing about the author at all. I might have to skip ahead to that one.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
To the Best of Our Knowledge is missing from the OP and well deserving of a mention based on the few episodes I've listened to thus far. I can't give it a good synopsis at this point, so I'll let Wikipedia do so:

Wikipedia posted:

TTBOOK produces two one-hour programs each week. Each hour has a theme, which is explored over the course of the hour primarily through interviews, although the show also airs commentaries, performance pieces and occasional reporter pieces. Topics vary widely, from contemporary politics, science and "big ideas," to pop culture themes like "Nerds" or "Apocalyptic Fiction."
TTBOOK produces at least one five-part series every year, which tends to be distributed more widely than the weekly broadcast. "East Meets West," a series on East/West cultural crossroads, included interviews with cellist Yo-Yo Ma, Muslim philosopher Tariq Ramadan, Muslim rapper Lupe Fiasco, Indian filmmaker Mira Nair, and Pakistani rock icon Salman Ahmad.[1] "Electrons to Enlightenment," a series on science and religion, included interviews with intellectual heavyweights E. O. Wilson, Richard Dawkins, Francis Collins and Karen Armstrong.[2]
TTBOOK won the 2004 Peabody Award for Programming.[3]

Official site

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hardcore History released a new episode. It's 4.5 hours long :stare:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I cant lie, I'm pretty loving stoked for this

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

GrandpaPants posted:

Well, that's half of my trans-Atlantic flight sorted!

quote:

Murderous millennial preachers and prophets take over the German city of Munster after Martin Luther unleashes a Pandora's Box of religious anarchy with the Protestant Reformation.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
That sounds amazing!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

New Hardcore Histories are a special thing. Can't wait to listen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
God that was a gnarly episode. So awesome though, Hardcore History is the best :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just started listening and I'm sure the rest of the episode is great, but Carlin spending the first 15 minutes of the episode apologizing for it is really turning me off.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I just started listening and I'm sure the rest of the episode is great, but Carlin spending the first 15 minutes of the episode apologizing for it is really turning me off.

Yeah I don't really get what he dislikes about this episode so much, I thought the whole thing was interesting.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Add me to the growing list of fans of the Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Podcast. The randomness of his guests and of the topics covered keep the premise interesting and like everyone else mentions, Rubin is a pretty likable host. Even the Pete Holmes episode, which really only covered the LA comedy podcast scene had a few interesting bits of info.

Those of you who also enjoy the podcast, what episodes do you recommend? So far the previously-mentioned R.L. Stine and Alamo Drafthouse episodes are great.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Agreed. I started trying to listen to his podcasts, but it almost seems like they aren't scripted. He clearly has done quite a bit of research, but in the little time that I listened it's almost as if he has a concept and an idea on what to present, major talking points if you will, but I always get frustrated when it seems like he's searching for a word. It's just a pretty big difference I've noticed between that and other, more heavily edited podcasts.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Hitch posted:

Agreed. I started trying to listen to his podcasts, but it almost seems like they aren't scripted. He clearly has done quite a bit of research, but in the little time that I listened it's almost as if he has a concept and an idea on what to present, major talking points if you will, but I always get frustrated when it seems like he's searching for a word. It's just a pretty big difference I've noticed between that and other, more heavily edited podcasts.

I think the extemporaneous delivery is a very conscious stylistic decision on his part. Probably comes from his history as a radio guy. He's clearly meticulous - to a fault, maybe - about the final product. If you read one of the many apology letters he ends up writing for taking so long to get an episode out, he'll talk about things like the differences in pacing a single hour and half long show versus pacing a 5-part series, or how a 4-hour show needs to be built from the ground-up differently - like keeping the fact that people will be pausing and coming back to it later in mind. In his most recent public apology he says one of the reasons the shows take so long to get out is because he's gotta spend 4 hours a day just listening to the whole show again.

The History of Rome is a podcast which has a very scripted delivery style, and to be honest I think the show suffers for it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The new hardcore history was amazing. I have no idea why he felt he needed to bookend the episode with apologies but that was by far my favorite episode he has done so far. Cant believe he recorded the whole thing twice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone listen to NPR's Selected Shorts? The newest Radiolab was a selection from it and I really dug it, wondering what some other particularly good episodes are.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That was a fantastic episode of HH. I think he was needlessly overly apologetic because the subject matter was 99 percent religious stuff and therefore obviously becomes a target for people that get angry over that sort of thing. While I would totally agree that he went overboard in this apology stuff this episode, I enjoy his long monologues to setup the show. Heck, he spends an hour of this episode setting the scene for the actual story that starts during the second hour. I can't listen to other historical podcasts with guys just reading from a script. I can do that myself from wikipedia or a book. I love how HH is a throwback radio show that lets Dan go into a booth armed with a basic idea what to convey and a load of knowledge/research to get that point across and then just becomes what it becomes. That fact that Dan is sort of an eccentric artist that drives him self crazy only adds to the charm of the show (for myself at least).

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 24, 2013

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone know what happened to that Android marketplace version of the History of Rome Podcast? I paid like 2 bucks for it so I could listen to it while driving, since I drive a lot for work. I got a new phone a while ago and I no longer have access for it and I can't find it on the marketplace anymore. So any other easy way to just download every episode at one time so I can put them on my phone? Looking at the site seems like I would have to download each one individually.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Is there a History of Rome-style podcast for other periods of Classical history: Byzantium, Greece, Egypt?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

barkingclam posted:

Is there a History of Rome-style podcast for other periods of Classical history: Byzantium, Greece, Egypt?

Byzantine. Podcast History of the World is getting into Greece by now.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Do they train the people over at How Stuff Works to put you to sleep? I'm always interested in what they're saying but they sort of calmly whisper it to you and it has knocked me out on the bus on more than one occasion. At first I thought it was just the Stuff You Missed in History Class girls that did this but the 2 hosts they got to replace them are the same way. Then I started listening to the How Stuff Works podcast, and those guys are almost as bad.

feedmyleg posted:

url=http://podcasthistoryofourworld.libsyn.com/]Podcast History of the World is getting into Greece[/url] by now.

I didn't know about this. It's pretty good.

Guidos Python
Sep 7, 2009

Here is another cool byzantine podcast

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
At the risk of interrupting the Hardcore History megathread, I think 99% Invisible is worth a mention. Roman Mars' podcast centers around design in its various implements. That might sound pretentious, but it really isn't. The latest episode about slot machines is as good a place to start as any, and the previous episode about how the shot clock changed basketball from a snoozefest to action-packed is interesting as well, even for someone like me who doesn't usually give a poo poo about sports. There are episodes that are more interesting than others, but I have yet to hear a bad one. The length is usually in the 10-15 minute range save for some of the very early episodes that clocked in well under 10 minutes.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for these, the latter sounds exactly what I was looking for!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

theradiostillsucks posted:

At the risk of interrupting the Hardcore History megathread, I think 99% Invisible is worth a mention. Roman Mars' podcast centers around design in its various implements. That might sound pretentious, but it really isn't. The latest episode about slot machines is as good a place to start as any, and the previous episode about how the shot clock changed basketball from a snoozefest to action-packed is interesting as well, even for someone like me who doesn't usually give a poo poo about sports. There are episodes that are more interesting than others, but I have yet to hear a bad one. The length is usually in the 10-15 minute range save for some of the very early episodes that clocked in well under 10 minutes.

I've tried 2 different episodes of this and I can't stand it. The way they break sentences up between 2 people is so goddamn irritating. Why can't they just interview people and let it play out? Why do they have to add words in after the fact? Is this the same reason American true crime shows can only hold a shot for 4 seconds? It's a loving podcast. Since there's no time limit I'm assuming it's a stylistic choice ripped off from somewhere.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm assuming it's ripped off of Radiolab, they're constantly interrupting each other and chiming in after the fact. It's one of the main reasons I haven't listened to it in a while. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and when it doesn't it's very irritating.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Skeptoid

Brian Dunning turns a skeptical eye on conspiracy theories, popular misconceptions, and historical mysteries. From Bigfoot and Lost Cosmonauts to organic farming and pit bull attacks, Brian systematically breaks down not only the history of these myths and fabrications, but the poor arguments and logical fallacies behind their supporters perspectives.
My recommended first episode: His recent episode on The Bermuda Triangle really opened my eyes to the myth in a way I’d never heard anyone approach it before.

It's unlikely Dunning will be able to keep doing Skeptoid episodes from prison.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Malloreon posted:

It's unlikely Dunning will be able to keep doing Skeptoid episodes from prison.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ebay-the-fbi-shawn-hogan-and-brian-dunning-2013-4

He's pretty much hosed, isn't he?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wow, I guess I don't feel bad about never donating to Skeptoid. I guess he didn't need it so much!

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
So what did they do exactly? As far as I get it, they "infected" computers with a cookie and when that user sold something on Ebay, they would get a commission because the cookie is part of the marketing campaign of Ebay, right?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/04/how-kesslers-flying-circus-cookie-stuffed-its-way-to-5-2m-from-ebay/

quote:

Between May 2006 and June 2007, Brian Andrew Dunning made $5.2 million—all of it from eBay.
5.2 million?

http://www.benedelman.org/affiliate-litigation/
Looks like the investigation was going on for a long time, but I don't know anything about the US legal system.

quote:

The FBI report from interviewing Dunning (attached to the United States' opposition to Dunning's motion to suppress evidence) includes Dunning's statements that eBay's affiliate program was "stupid", and that he was "clever" in finding a way to take advantage of the program. The FBI agent interviewing Dunning reports that Dunning admitted using a 1x1 pixel to force an eBay cookie with his affiliate codes.

:smuggo:

edit: He updated a statement on his website.
http://skeptoid.com/blog/2011/10/05/a-partial-explanation/

Again edit, because it's funny now:
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4017

quote:

Big money is made by some of the more cleverly designed viruses (or trojan horses, whatever term you prefer). Sometimes all they do is install fake cookies on your computer to tell Amazon that some guy in Indonesia is entitled to a sales commission next time you buy something.

AstroWhale fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 10, 2013

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I saw that (or a similar) article pop up in my RSS feeds this week and caught the name, but thought it was just a coincidence, since surely someone who was making all of that easy money wouldn't be trolling for donations to keep his hobby podcast rolling, would he? Kinda surprised it actually turned out to be the same Dunning, even if his voice, as noted earlier in the thread, always made me think of him as a smug douche.

Also, I know I mentioned it a short while ago, but To the Best of Our Knowledge is shaping up to be one of my favorite podcasts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's nice to see that Dunning is as smug as he came off in the few episodes of Skeptoid I listed to even when faced with felony charges.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I dunno Dunning tells a different sort of story on the website. He suggests there's 'ample' evidence that ebay knew what was up and the money he allegedly earned was greatly exaggerated but I guess it'll come out soon enough.

It's a shame if it all goes down because Skeptoid has been incredibly useful and, smug tone aside, there isn't really any other podcasts that do what he's doing.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Some documents from the case are online, like the opposition to the suppression of evidence.
http://www.benedelman.org/affiliate-litigation/dunning-2013-03-04-opp-to-def-motion-to-suppress.pdf

First he talked to the agent and then six years later he says he was forced to talk.
What does suppression of evidence mean anyway? Also, who writes these documents?

quote:

Mr. Dunning makes much of the fact (he claims) that an agent, "this one dressed in
SWAT/combat attire with a visible and exposed holstered gun," was assigned to "guard [him]
and prevent [him] from leaving." This claim will have to be vetted through cross-examination,
but S/ A Miller does not recall it, and it would not make sense. (Why would a female agent,
dressed in civilian clothes, not visibly armed, be assigned to conduct the interview, only to have
the subject's peace of mind disturbed by having stationing Darth Vader three steps away?)

Darth Vader?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
They're referring to the armed guard, presumably. Not the best metaphor in the world.

I unsubscribed from Skeptoid as soon as I heard about what he was doing - it's one thing to shill for money, it's another to do it when you're making plenty. I don't even mind donating if it's purely in a "can we make it easier for me to do what I do" sense, but to make that level of money and shill seems really greedy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Allan Assiduity posted:

They're referring to the armed guard, presumably. Not the best metaphor in the world.

I unsubscribed from Skeptoid as soon as I heard about what he was doing - it's one thing to shill for money, it's another to do it when you're making plenty. I don't even mind donating if it's purely in a "can we make it easier for me to do what I do" sense, but to make that level of money and shill seems really greedy.

Yeah but the amount made seems to differ wildly depending on who's doing the telling. Dunning says the whole thing is grossly overestimated and that they can prove that. I'm still a subscriber, but because it's so early in the game who really knows what's going to come out. Regardless I imagine there's some very very smug people out there right now who'll use it as a way to discredit any and all Skeptoid arguments.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
I just finished listening to Carlin's "Wrath of the Khans" series. It was just awesome. Awesome. Seriously riveting at every turn and it was unbelievable to think about how close Western Europe came to being completely utterly destroyed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
New stuff coming from the History of Rome guy in September, also doing an AMA on Reddit tomorrow :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

This is going to be so awesome! Any idea what it is going to be about going from the books he posted? Revolution in general?