Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
History of Rome is a good one if you don't like what Carlin is doing. The episodes don't usually run longer than 20 minutes and as the title suggests it covers everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

DrVenkman posted:

History of Rome is a good one if you don't like what Carlin is doing. The episodes don't usually run longer than 20 minutes and as the title suggests it covers everything.

I really wish the history of byzantium was as good :(

Does anyone know a greek history podcast?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

I really wish the history of byzantium was as good :(

Does anyone know a greek history podcast?

The History of Byzantium is at least bearable, the History of Britain podcast sounds like a history student's undergrad project.

Are there any other History of * podcasts that are worth listening to?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I enjoyed Podcast History of Our World a lot, but it won't take you long to burn through it and I think he does about one a month. I didn't really get into Carlin's Rome stuff, but loved the Mongol series and the last two. I'd say give them a try if you were turned off to Rome, but it's understandable if you don't like his style.

Also I'll 2nd the recommendation for Footnoting History, really enjoy it.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Hitch posted:

Likewise. I too couldn't make it too far into Carlin's podcasts. I'm sure they have great information and are well thought out, but the lack of information density in any given 5, 10 or even 30 minute timeframe was unnerving.

Listen to his politics podcast and his history podcast sounds practically pedestrian by comparison.

My biggest issue with the Podcast History of Our World happened early on, when he presented the flight of the Jews from Egypt from the bible as part of history.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

The History of Byzantium is at least bearable, the History of Britain podcast sounds like a history student's undergrad project.

I vastly preferred the British History podcast over the History of England

rypakal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 15, 2013

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

rypakal posted:

I vastly preferred the British History podcast over the History of England

Figures that I would mess up the names, I was referring to the British History podcast. If it gets better after the first episode or two I'll give it another shot.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I started listening to Hardcore History recently and am absolutely loving it. But is there a place to get the backlog bundled for less than what iTunes is charging? I'm gonna end up buying all this stuff regardless but if I can save a few bucks and/or get it all at once instead of piecemeal that would be great.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
You can get a bundle of all the older episodes for $50 at Dan Carlin's site.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

History of Rome guy's new podcast has just dropped:

revolutionspodcast.com

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Awesome! Perfect for getting to work tomorrow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Malloreon posted:

revolutionspodcast.com

:getin: I love the idea of this topic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Malloreon posted:

revolutionspodcast.com

It's an intriguing concept that can go a lot of different directions. I'm hoping that he sticks with ones more than 50 years old so there's a better sense of the long term consequences. Starting with the English Civil War is nice for Americans since I doubt there's many of us who know more than the broadest of strokes.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Random Stranger posted:

It's an intriguing concept that can go a lot of different directions. I'm hoping that he sticks with ones more than 50 years old so there's a better sense of the long term consequences. Starting with the English Civil War is nice for Americans since I doubt there's many of us who know more than the broadest of strokes.

He explicitly said on Reddit he didn't want to do any revolutions like Iran that could be considered as current events

http://www.reddit.com/r/history/comments/1fff0g/hello_i_am_mike_duncan_creator_of_the_history_of/

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

radlum posted:

Does Carlin’s podcast get better? I started listening to the first of his Roman Republic episode and between the 1 minute opening and the 5 minutes talk about ambition I got bored. I’ll give him a chance, but I certainly hope the rest of the episode is about actual history (yeah, I guess Roman families were ambitious, but he sounded so over the top that it got annoying)

Listen to the other topics first. Honestly I think the recommendation of Fall of the Republic in the OP is a terrible choice for a HH virgin, because it's really really long and slow to get started. Also, it doesn't have as much military history as some of the other episodes. Dan was a Military History major and the military aspect is his bread and butter. Describing battle tactics and strategy are what gets him really excited and it shows.

I would go and listen to something like the Ghosts of the Ostfront or Punic Nightmares episodes first since they are full of battles and tactics and what not. Military history tends to be a bit more exciting than political posturing.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Dan tweeted today apologizing for the delay in Hardcore History releases, but says he's working on a massive part 1 of a multi-part series like Ostfront, Khans, etc. I'm curious on what subject it is. It's either going to be Alexander the Great or World War 1.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
WWI would be the perfect HH.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can never be miffed by the slow pace of Hardcore History because when they do come out they are loving amazing and pretty much make my commute to work that week a joy.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Guys, there are few times I admit I was completely wrong and this is one of them. I love Hardcore History. I haven't had time to finish the second half of episodes about the Roman Republic but so far they have been great. I love Ancient Rome, I even bought a Roman Warship model to work on while listening to the podcast. Thanks for telling me to keep going and not judge Carlin for only a couple of minutes.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

radlum posted:

Guys, there are few times I admit I was completely wrong and this is one of them. I love Hardcore History. I haven't had time to finish the second half of episodes about the Roman Republic but so far they have been great. I love Ancient Rome, I even bought a Roman Warship model to work on while listening to the podcast. Thanks for telling me to keep going and not judge Carlin for only a couple of minutes.

If you want to go deep on Roman history, the History of Rome podcast will give you more than you could ever imagine.

It's very detailed but in a good way, and covers the whole thing from republic to empire to the fall of the west. I came to it after having listened through the whole HH Republic series, and it was amazing how much more there was to cover. It's in the OP for a reason, but there's no understating how good it is.

Mike is very good at keeping pace and seems to deliver everything in such a way that it conveys a ton of info but without being dense or easy to lose track. It actually ruined me on most other history podcasts, they are often either too simplistic or come off like a dense history lecture.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

radlum posted:

You aren't the only one. A couple years ago when I was recommended the podcast I listened to Ghosts of the Ostfront Pt. 1 and was immediately skeptical and actually turned it off when Dan went on his long intro about bone fields. I just thought "oh great, some overly dramatic guy has a podcast where he can't even get to subject without wasting 30 minutes". I decided to try it again a couple days later and became hooked. He tells fantastic stories and REALLY does his research. New Hardcore History episodes in my feed make as happy as when someone gets excited that their favorite author/film maker has released a new book.

For what it's worth, when he posted on his message board a couple months ago that his next subject was going to be a big series on either WW1 or Alexander the Great (he was undecided at that point) the board basically came alive with most people asking him to do a WW1 series for the 100 year anniversary of it. I think it's also sort of fitting given how crazy the leadup to WW1 was, both technologically and politically. I really enjoyed his previous WW1 podcast (Great Scars) so I'm sure it would be great.

If it winds up being Alexander the Great, well I'm sure that will rock as well.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I hope it's WWI not only because it's a period that fascinates me, but also because we just had a big series on a legendary conqueror

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Oh man a WWI for Dan would be amazing. Yeah he "already did one" but that was short. I want a nice tactical one with great military analysis.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Does Skeptoid get any better? I tried listening to the first episode but it was basically "HEY HIPPIES, GET THIS: Energy doesnt mean what you think it means." and then talking about thermodynamics for a half hour, in a voice that sounds like me holding my nose and impersonating nerd voice (I already have nerd voice, so im amplifying).

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Does Skeptoid get any better? I tried listening to the first episode but it was basically "HEY HIPPIES, GET THIS: Energy doesnt mean what you think it means." and then talking about thermodynamics for a half hour, in a voice that sounds like me holding my nose and impersonating nerd voice (I already have nerd voice, so im amplifying).

His voice never gets better and he seems like a very typical person who wastes too much time on the internet and becomes a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to lots of different thing, knowing very little about almost everything but trying to sound like an expert. He also pleaded (pled isn't a word?) guilty to wire fraud for using fraudulent cookies to steal referral money from eBay. That being said, I usually listen to it every week because they're all like 12 minutes long and usually about weird monsters or disappearing whosits that I've never heard of.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ariza posted:

His voice never gets better and he seems like a very typical person who wastes too much time on the internet and becomes a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to lots of different thing, knowing very little about almost everything but trying to sound like an expert. He also pleaded (pled isn't a word?) guilty to wire fraud for using fraudulent cookies to steal referral money from eBay. That being said, I usually listen to it every week because they're all like 12 minutes long and usually about weird monsters or disappearing whosits that I've never heard of.

I think Im just a little dissapointed because I would have liked a little history and information on the topic before the debunk came, but the podcast is 100% debunk, or at least the early episodes Ive listened to. I don't know anything about the details of, say, homeopathy and a little information on what the beliefs the adherents have would have been nice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

I think Im just a little dissapointed because I would have liked a little history and information on the topic before the debunk came, but the podcast is 100% debunk, or at least the early episodes Ive listened to. I don't know anything about the details of, say, homeopathy and a little information on what the beliefs the adherents have would have been nice.

This is definitely more what it becomes later on, or at least what it tends to be fore the more "supernatural" topics. He spends the first section getting into a topic's history as if it were fact, then lays down his research. The recent Patterson bigfoot one was a good example of that.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Did he ever serve his prison sentence? The last update on Wikipedia says that he plead guilty in April and faces up to 29 months but there are no updates after that.

For those who dont know.

quote:

In August 2008, eBay filed suit against Dunning and his brother, accusing them of defrauding eBay and eBay affiliates of $5.2 million in a cookie stuffing scheme for their company, Kessler's Flying Circus. In June 2010, based on the same allegations and following an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, a grand jury indicted Dunning on charges of wire fraud.[18] On his Skeptoid blog, Dunning stated "There are several legal reasons that the lawsuit is improper, and we’ve been fighting it on that basis."[19] On April 15, 2013, in San Jose, CA federal court, as part of a plea agreement, Dunning pleaded guilty to wire fraud. The largest penalty for committing wire fraud is 20 years in prison.[20] Dunning faces a maximum sentence of 29 months in confinement and no fine.[21] Dunning admitted that he received payments to which he was not entitled, but has "reserved the right to dispute how much of those payments were attributable to the cookie stuffing scheme".[20]

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm going to crosspost this from the PYF Kickstarter thread:

GrandpaPants posted:

99% Invisible is a phenomenal podcast about design and architecture. I'm not even sure where to begin with good episodes, but I was really entranced by the Heyoon episode for some reason. But really, if you have even a casual interest in the subject, it's definitely worth a listen, and Roman Mars's voice has this sort of calming quality about it, despite his metal as hell name.

Anyway, their Kickstarter is up with some pretty snazzy rewards.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Tainen posted:

Did he ever serve his prison sentence? The last update on Wikipedia says that he plead guilty in April and faces up to 29 months but there are no updates after that.

For those who dont know.

Ugh that sucks. :(

Anyway, I don't think starting from the first episode is a good way of getting into Skeptoid. Just for audio quality if nothing else. A better way would be to skim the list of episodes and try a few that sound interesting.

My own random recommendations of episodes that are good and pretty representative of the series would be
#124 Betty and Barney Hill: A real UFO abduction
#140 The Bosnian pyramids
#211 Attack on Pearl Harbor
#292 The grey man of Ben MacDhui

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Carlin said on twitter that the new episode will be released within 48 hours :woop:.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Popelmon posted:

Carlin said on twitter that the new episode will be released within 48 hours :woop:.

I am really, unreasonably excited about this.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Popelmon posted:

Oh gently caress yes :woop:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
:siren:

Dan Carlin posted:

Soon! Hopefully within the next 6 hours.
Let me know what you think when you hear it.
:siren:

I'm betting WWI, the general consensus is that or Alexander right?

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

uPen posted:

I'm betting WWI, the general consensus is that or Alexander right?
"Blueprint for Armageddon" is apparently the title. I'm betting WWI, please be WWI :)

\//\/\/\/That sounds really good too!

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 30, 2013

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

HK5000 posted:

"Blueprint for Armageddon" is apparently the title. I'm betting WWI, please be WWI :)
I heard that he said on twitter a while ago that it was about the events that led up to WWI.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I was planning a nice long bike ride today but I put if off for tomorrow when I heard a new HH was about to hit. :dance:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's out! and it's a long one too at 3 hours! cant wait to give this one a spin.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It's not on pocketcasts yet :(.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
New Hardcore History :fap:

It's a multi-parter about World War 1 :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Listened to about 30 mins on the way to work and it's great so far!