Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Lawman 0 posted:

I just finished the history of Rome podcast! :)

Good Job, Start on Revolutions if you haven't already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I couldn't get enough of History of Rome and would listen to a couple a day, but got burned out on Revolutions within a few episodes and at this point would need to restart it to remember what was going on. I don't know if I just OD'd on the host or if I just liked Roman history better.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drunkboxer posted:

I couldn't get enough of History of Rome and would listen to a couple a day, but got burned out on Revolutions within a few episodes and at this point would need to restart it to remember what was going on. I don't know if I just OD'd on the host or if I just liked Roman history better.

I had to skip the English revolution part because I just couldn't get into it, but I don't know if that was just my own lack of context/interest or if the first few episodes really were that rough, but the American revolution held my attention just fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
An interesting podcast I've started listening to recently is "Exposing PseudoAstronomy" http://podcast.sjrdesign.net/

It focuses, of course, on explaining the truth behind a lot of astronomy misconceptions; but also delves into explaining why a lot of generally space-related conspiracy theories and such are bullshit (like Billy Meier, the dude from Switzerland who's claimed aliens have been in contact with him since the 60s; and a bunch of Coast To Coast AM regulars). There's also many episodes that simply explain basic and not so basic concepts in astronomy in general that help you understand why things are wrong. Some of the early episodes are kinda dry because he hadn't really gotten going yet, but as he's gone on he's developed better flow. He also releases video episodes from time to time,

Separately and slightly related there's also 365 Days Of Astronomy, http://cosmoquest.org/x/365daysofastronomy/
Originally it was supposed to be a single year project for 2009, to do a 5-15 minute podcast from many different groups once a day for an entire year. It ended up being able to sustain itself and continues to do the one 5-15 minute podcast on astronomy topics per day, 5 years on. Some episodes are roundups of news related to space and astronomy, others are meant to tell you about a certain events in the sky that will be coming up, and still others will just cover general topics.

I usually end up only keeping up with it for a few months a year because there's just so much content!

Incidentally if you wanted to listen to the first 3 years of the podcast now, you're better off listening to the "52 weeks of astronomy" format that got discontinued after 2011: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/52WeeksofAstronomy It simply removed the redundant segments from each episode in a week and put them together (since you'd be going back and listening, you didn't need to hear the short intro song and closing section for each episode every 10 minutes)

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
I discovered Caustic Soda thanks to this thread for which I am grateful. It's a solid show and it's always fun to find something new with a sizeable archive of episodes. I don't find the music interludes terribly interesting and their habit of including nws images in show notes is really grating but overall it's consistently enjoyable. Variety of topics keeps things interesting.

When looking for something similar I found Sawbones which I like even more. Podcast focuses on medical history and how people looked at and treated various conditions and illnesses in the past. Each episode tackles one issue, for instance the practice of bloodletting or treatment of leprosy. The show manages to be both very informative and entertaining. The hosts have really good chemistry with each other (as they should, as they are married :v:).

Another show I recently discovered was Oh No, Ross and Carrie! The hosts investigate various religious groups/fringe science practices by going to their meetings/undergoing procedures and then describing their experiences. So they might try to join church of Mormonism and describe the whole process or go to get their ears candled. They are skeptics but the show feels really good natured and fun - while they point out and make fun of bullshit aspects of the things they investigate they end up liking a lot of people they meet. I really recommend this one, it's really interesting to learn about these first hand experiences.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Revolutions Podcast has returned from its break (to focus on the French Revolution), in case anyone doesn't check their subscriptions to that or something.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

He's also going to drat the torpedoes, discard the 15 episode per revolution format and take all the time he needs to cover the French Revolution!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hearing Paul F. Tompkins at the start of the newest episode of The Nerdist (the one with Superego) speak at some length on his love of In Our Time and the impossibility of listening to it passively was an unexpected delight.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Antti posted:

He's also going to drat the torpedoes, discard the 15 episode per revolution format and take all the time he needs to cover the French Revolution!

And that we might get to Napoleon by Christmas, which is fantastic. I love history podcasts :allears:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I started The History of Rome like a week ago, and I now just got up to Rome salting Carthage and conquering Greece.

Yeah, it's mostly dry military history, but I don't mind because it does give some nice chronological context to bunch of ancient events I've heard here and there out of order. This is the first time I've heard of Cincinnatus and Marcus Furius Camillus. This is also the first time I've heard of the constitutional traditions of the Roman Republic and it given with a good amount of weight.

My plan is to finish Rome and go to his Revolutions podcast. I had a huge fascination with the Haitian Revolution in the past few years; I hope he tackles it well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah, I'm a Rome nerd so HoR has been right up my alley. I'm especially interested in the Republic and he could've probably spent more time on it (Yes, I've listened to Dan Carlin's Death Throes of the Republic) but it's all good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well, I'm listening to it as a history guy who never found Rome particularly interesting. Like many people who watched the history channel a decade ago, I had a few "phases" like a World War II phase, English history phase, U.S. Civil War phase, Mongol Empire phase, and Haitian Revolution phase. Rome has always been one of those history nerd subjects (like the Sengoku period, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, American Revolution, Napoleonic era, the Renaissance, Ancient Greece) that never really "clicked" with me despite knowing the broad strokes.

The podcast gives nice chronological context to a lot of things I've heard of and explains the evolving political environment in Italy and the Mediterranean in that era quite well. I'm not that big of a military history guy, and the Senate politics are still quite dry too, but I figured Rome is one of those big history subjects I figured I had to get around to looking into. There's not too much "A People's History of Rome" narratives that aren't mostly speculation, so I'm stuck with stories about Great Men and Great Battles for now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I'm surprised that History of England hasn't gotten all that much love here. I really love it - it gets dry at times, and I think I'm going to have to relisten to everything between Henry III and the Battle of Crécy to make it stick, but I usually find it riveting. Crowther started out a little dull as a podcaster, but no worse than Mike Duncan when he started out, and he has improved markedly.

At this point he's just finished Mr. Crazypants Richard II's reign, which I found extremely interesting. I knew the broad beats of Richard's downfall, since I saw the TV movie of the Shakespeare play on "The Hollow Crown" (which is so good), but I didn't really understand the details. Super fascinating stuff, in my book.

Antti posted:

Yeah, I'm a Rome nerd so HoR has been right up my alley. I'm especially interested in the Republic and he could've probably spent more time on it (Yes, I've listened to Dan Carlin's Death Throes of the Republic) but it's all good.

I thought Carlin's take on the fall of the Republic was spot-on, except for the freaking Catiline conspiracy. Way too much revisionist crap about Cicero and Catiline. Like it or not, Dan, Catiline was the bad guy in that situation.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I like the idea of history podcasts but this Hardcore History sounds way too dense for me. I'd like a more abridged history podcast. I'm not really deep into podcasts so I don't know where to look for something like that. Wondering if anyone could help me.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Eggie posted:

I like the idea of history podcasts but this Hardcore History sounds way too dense for me. I'd like a more abridged history podcast. I'm not really deep into podcasts so I don't know where to look for something like that. Wondering if anyone could help me.

The Memory Palace is only about five minutes per episode. It's very much about a single tiny story rooted in history, though, and not an overview of a historical event.

I would really recommend giving Hardcore History a try, though. The fact that it goes so in-depth is what makes it so engaging.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eggie posted:

It already is an abridged view of history - there's just a lot to talk about and describe (and make boxing analogies of).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Possibly try some of the one-off episodes of hardcore history. The multi-parters are pretty dense some times (I like it, I can see how some wouldn't) but the single episodes cover pretty major events in an hour or two.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Eggie posted:

Stuff You Missed in History Class isn't all that dense. Sometimes I think the hosts are deliberately trying to make me drowsy with their sleepy-whisper talk, but I still like it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you find certain podcasts are otherwise good, but the pace makes you sleepy, speeding up playback by like 10% or so might help.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's not the pace it's their sleepy voices, same goes for How Stuff Works.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Eggie posted:

You may want to try out Revolutions which is one of the current favorites around here. It's multi-episode but really casual.

Also, if you want bite-sized history videos, Crash Course World/US History is on YouTube and is nicely produced.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

In Our Time does quick 30 minute programs on topics and there is an archive of history subjects on itunes.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Stuff You Missed in History Class isn't all that dense. Sometimes I think the hosts are deliberately trying to make me drowsy with their sleepy-whisper talk, but I still like it.

Yeah, the voices can be drowsy, but my biggest peeve with that podcast is that you get at least two ads for a 30 minute podcast (some for Stuff you Should Know), which is very annoying considering that Dan Carlin can go 3 hours with ads just at the end of the podcast.

Also, has anyone heard When Diplomacy Fails? I've been listening to the July Crisis episodes, the road towards WWI and while it can be interesting, sometimes there's too much pointless information and the guy makes weird voices when quoting people.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

radlum posted:

Yeah, the voices can be drowsy, but my biggest peeve with that podcast is that you get at least two ads for a 30 minute podcast (some for Stuff you Should Know), which is very annoying considering that Dan Carlin can go 3 hours with ads just at the end of the podcast.

Also, has anyone heard When Diplomacy Fails? I've been listening to the July Crisis episodes, the road towards WWI and while it can be interesting, sometimes there's too much pointless information and the guy makes weird voices when quoting people.

It's so unfortunate when a podcaster's voice ruins the whole project. On one History of England, there was a guest episode on the Avignon Papacy, I think. I was super-excited to listen to it, because I know a little bit about it but always wanted to learn more. But ooooooh my Lord the voice. The horrible loving VOICE. Super nasally New York accent that just made the whole drat thing unlistenable. I was disappointed, because the guy has his own podcast on the Papacy, which I would totally listen to. If my ears wouldn't bleed listening to him.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That's why I find Dan Carlin so unboring. He knows how to talk to the mic that just makes me want to listen to more of him and inevitably do.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you're worried about being engaged while learning things, I couldn't recommend The Infinite Monkey Cage enough. It's 60/40 informational and comedy respectively, but even the comedy is of an educational bent - if you need a segue into these kind of podcasts that's a good gateway drug.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Majorian posted:

It's so unfortunate when a podcaster's voice ruins the whole project. On one History of England, there was a guest episode on the Avignon Papacy, I think. I was super-excited to listen to it, because I know a little bit about it but always wanted to learn more. But ooooooh my Lord the voice. The horrible loving VOICE. Super nasally New York accent that just made the whole drat thing unlistenable. I was disappointed, because the guy has his own podcast on the Papacy, which I would totally listen to. If my ears wouldn't bleed listening to him.

Is there a second History of England? Cause the one I'm listening to has a very british accent. E: Oh, was the guest voice the issue? That makes more sense.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 1, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Is there a second History of England? Cause the one I'm listening to has a very british accent. E: Oh, was the guest voice the issue? That makes more sense.

Yes, the guest voice. I like David Crowther's voice, because it sounds like Michael Palin (at least to my dumbass American ears) and that makes me happy. The guest host was Stephen Guerra of the History of the Papacy podcast. I haven't listened to his regular podcast, but hopefully he'll, you know. Not sound like that anymore.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Dan Carlin's voice and affect is the reason that I find Hardcore History to be completely unlistenable but then again I read and enjoy super dry academic history books (the more footnotes the better!), so I'm kinda weird

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 1, 2014

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I switched to Overcast because of its volume normalization feature, HH will put it to the test. I have no idea why his audio guy doesn't do more to normalize Dan's normal, booming voice with his quiet aside/quote voice.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WDIIA posted:

Dan Carlin's voice and affect is the reason that I find Hardcore History to be completely unlistenable but then again I read and enjoy super dry academic history books (the more footnotes the better!), so I'm kinda weird

What about it don't you like, just out of curiosity?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I, personally, don't find his voice abrasive but I could see it being too nasally and high pitched for some people.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I actually felt the same way about Carlin at first. At the time the only podcast I'd ever listened to was the first half or so of The History of Rome so when I went from that to Carlin's Death of the Republic it was a huge difference and I just didn't like it. He sounded like a crazy person raving. I listened to like 10 minutes, gave up, and a couple months later once I finished Rome and needed something to listen to I tried again. After the first hour or so I guess I just adjusted, because now I listen to all his podcasts and love them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I actually felt the same way about Carlin at first. At the time the only podcast I'd ever listened to was the first half or so of The History of Rome so when I went from that to Carlin's Death of the Republic it was a huge difference and I just didn't like it. He sounded like a crazy person raving. I listened to like 10 minutes, gave up, and a couple months later once I finished Rome and needed something to listen to I tried again. After the first hour or so I guess I just adjusted, because now I listen to all his podcasts and love them.

Just wanted to echo this. At first, his voice had this tone that reminded me of really aggressive radio personalities, like Rush Limbaugh or something. But then I got wrapped up into the narrative of the Mongol hordes and whatever, it was cool.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This is why I've never listened to a whole episode of his podcasts, hopefully if I try again I'll have a similar experience to you guys. Because when I tried listening to him he reminded me of Alex Jones.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

This is why I've never listened to a whole episode of his podcasts, hopefully if I try again I'll have a similar experience to you guys. Because when I tried listening to him he reminded me of Alex Jones.

And the MONGOLS put the ARABS in FEMA CAMPS where they were subjected to ABHORRENT EXPERIMENTS funded by ILLUMINATI AGENTS, we have the documents folks, infowars dot com, fight the power and take back OUR COUNTRY. We're up against HEAVYWEIGHTS and they're knuckleballing us hard, but if we feint to the right and left, they'll never get a hit in and we can outLAST them, WAKE UP AMERICA. Infowars dot com.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I've tried on countless occasions to get into Dan Carlin, but I cannot stand his presentation. He could be reading a history book that I know and love and I would immediately question everything he's saying based on his intonation.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Majorian posted:

What about it don't you like, just out of curiosity?

I can't really put my finger on it. But part of it is because of the high-pitched fast aggressive voice. And part of it is because he takes historical events that I would find completely interesting in a super bland lecture and tries to "up-sell" it with boxing analogies and dramatic pauses and whatever. The end result is that to me, he almost sounds like a stereotypical used car salesman with a gold fake Rolex

Like, I totally get why a ton of people love it but it's just not for me :shobon:

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 1, 2014

Beeez
May 28, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

And the MONGOLS put the ARABS in FEMA CAMPS where they were subjected to ABHORRENT EXPERIMENTS funded by ILLUMINATI AGENTS, we have the documents folks, infowars dot com, fight the power and take back OUR COUNTRY. We're up against HEAVYWEIGHTS and they're knuckleballing us hard, but if we feint to the right and left, they'll never get a hit in and we can outLAST them, WAKE UP AMERICA. Infowars dot com.

IT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN! The Siege of Kiev was a false flag operation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I was kind of the opposite with Carlin. The first episode of HCH I listened to was the Bubonic Nuke one and was really put off by all the sound effects and voice filters he used in order to make it more dramatic.

Then I listened to one of the later episodes which was just Carlin ranting and ended up enjoying it much more.