Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

webmeister posted:

Even Dan Carlin took a while to really hit his stride. He really does sound like a raving mad conspiracy theory talkshow host in his earlier episodes, and he doesn't entirely sober up for a surprisingly long time.

Dan Carlin still sounds like a Morning Zoo radio show host who went a little too deep down the Rabbit Hole.

That's not to mean he doesn't do an amazing show, just he comes off sounding like a cartoon parody of a conspiracy theorist radio jockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What do people think of the Rex Factor? I've been loving it so far, to the point of putting it in first priority above the comedy podcasts.

Makes me wanna memorize the kings and queens of England.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Real Quaid posted:

History boys: What's your opinion on The History of Byzantium podcast- good/poo poo? Only listened to 1 ep so far, it sounded like a really corny flamboyant dad telling a scary bedtime story to a kid- seriously hokey and affected, I didn't enjoy the style at all. I liked 12 Byzantine Rulers & the History of Rome so was really hoping this would be good.

I like it. I'd give it through Justinian's reign to see if it is really for you. That's where his style begins to really diverge from Duncan's.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

toanoradian posted:

What do people think of the Rex Factor? I've been loving it so far, to the point of putting it in first priority above the comedy podcasts.

Makes me wanna memorize the kings and queens of England.

I'm a fan. Not only is the 'cast amusing, but it fills in the gaps of my English history knowledge by covering the reigns of kings who don't usually get much play. It's a good show, if you don't mind the irreverence. And as I'm also a fan of The Lesser Bonapartes, irreverence ain't a problem for me.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

hiddenmovement posted:

I think Longworth is a great presenter and she does an excellent podcast but some of the voicework is diabolically bad.

The voice of the female presenter (is there more than one?) on the Criminal podcast weirds me out. Or maybe it's the mix: she uses the same tone for voice over & intros as she does for interviewing people, so it always feels like it's done in one take. As if she's talking to someone and then suddenly turns away to commentate the action and the interviewee is left standing there, awkwardly trying to be silent and ignore her as she does a monologue about what they just spoke about.

But as a voice, hers is actually pretty good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Lesser Bonapartes didn't "take" with me somehow, I dunno, gonna try The Rex Factor

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The Lesser Bonapartes didn't "take" with me somehow, I dunno, gonna try The Rex Factor

I really liked the Lesser Bonapartes' material; it was the presenters I couldn't stand.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I really liked the Lesser Bonapartes' material; it was the presenters I couldn't stand.

same

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

It always felt to me like the hosts weren't trying to teach me something, they were trying to show me how much they knew. That and the lack of organization (sometimes their digressions had digressions, again seemingly in service of "no I know this don't think I don't") are what bothered me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I liked the more level-headed presenter. The one with a lisp (I don't mind the lisp but it's identifiable) is pretty insufferable.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Lesser Bonapartes is unlistenable due to the hosts constant, obnoxious guffawing at their deeply hackneyed schtick. Unfortunately this is fairly common for nerd podcasts.

Are there any good current affairs podcasts that focus on China?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I made it about halfway through a picked-at-random Lesser Bonapartes show before giving up entirely. I don't mind a mix of info/opinion and banter at all - The Football Ramble is probably my favourite podcast - but the Bonapartes had the balance miles off.

I can't remember which episode it was, but one of the guys cracked a painfully unfunny joke about someone's name, then kept repeating it for the next half and hour while they both fell about laughing.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

Thwomp posted:

I like it. I'd give it through Justinian's reign to see if it is really for you. That's where his style begins to really diverge from Duncan's.

I tried it again, I couldn't get much past that Harry Potter theme tune, ugh. I'll try once more later.

Re: the Lesser Bonapartes, I think they're funny, its a good & interesting show.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Guessing everyone who cares already noticed, but You Must Remember This is back with a more classic Hollywood season, this time focusing on MGM during the studio system era. It's great, everyone should listen to it!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Real Quaid posted:

Re: the Lesser Bonapartes, I think they're funny, its a good & interesting show.

I can't say that they ever make me laugh or anything but I do like the podcast in general.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I still subscribe to and ostensibly listen to the History of Byzantium podcast but it's been a while since I could bring myself to listen to it because the history itself I find just so depressing and sad.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

CountFosco posted:

I still subscribe to and ostensibly listen to the History of Byzantium podcast but it's been a while since I could bring myself to listen to it because the history itself I find just so depressing and sad.

Hell, it ain't even THAT bad yet. They've got six hundred and fifty years of death spiral left from the current episode!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
God damnit, Carlin, where the heck is the next installment of my free entertainmnet

also shilling for twilighthistories.com again even if it's more (alternate) historical fiction than educational, I've listened through all the episodes and I heartily recommend it

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So that's the French Revolution. Much more interesting and memorable than whatever I forgot in high school world history. I know we still get an epilogue from Mike and a two month break. But after that...

Bring on the Haitians. :black101:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I really enjoyed Mike's coverage of the French Revolution, although I was hoping for the series to continue through Napoleon's career (I totally understand how that would have been out of scope and tripled the size of the series, but still.)

As this era of history was new to me I went looking for a book on Napoleon to explain what happened next, and "Napoleon: A Life" by Andrew Roberts has been excellent. Mike's podcast gave me a thorough understanding of the era and is an excellent lead in to the start of the book. The author visited a lot of the major landmarks and battle sites and has great insights. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants the story to continue.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I really enjoyed Mike's coverage of the French Revolution, although I was hoping for the series to continue through Napoleon's career (I totally understand how that would have been out of scope and tripled the size of the series, but still.)

As this era of history was new to me I went looking for a book on Napoleon to explain what happened next, and "Napoleon: A Life" by Andrew Roberts has been excellent. Mike's podcast gave me a thorough understanding of the era and is an excellent lead in to the start of the book. The author visited a lot of the major landmarks and battle sites and has great insights. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants the story to continue.

I listened to the audio book back when he started France and is fantastic, highly recommend it.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Robert's Napoleon is definitely a perfect complement to the podcast, it goes really in depth in all the areas Mike didn't. It is pretty light on the early revolution and focuses more on the Consulate and Empire.

I'm really looking forward to Haiti now.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 1, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pity his machine blew up before he could do the summary episode. It's going to be a long few months until he gets Haiti going, alas.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The French Revolution was peak Mike Duncan I think. Or his best And most entertaining work. I also love how he started out on the side that the Terror was one of history's great crimes and the when he got through it was like "I guess it wasn't so bad?".

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The one thing that annoyed me about the Revolutions podcast was the bias Duncan seemed to have for the old French monarchy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I listened to the first 5 episodes of the series (on the English revolution) and I'd really rather just read his scripts. He doesn't release those does he?

Does the French revolution season(?) improve vastly over the English Revolution or is it more or less dry and by the book? I have to concentrate pretty hard on what he's saying but I would get it better if I could just read it and I'd really like to because it is well-researched it seems to me.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I haven't finished the French revolution yet, but he gets stronger and more comfortable as he goes on. I'd stick the English revolution out a couple more episodes and see, it's a good story and there's a big jump in his presentation not too far in.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alright. I'll give it a shot once I catch up on Kevin Stroud's History of English Podcast which is so so so good. Really interesting linguistic and etymology going on plus some good historical accounts of different peoples.

Though on the topic how many episodes do you guys usually give a program before deciding to give it up or not? My threshold is usually 5 for half hour episodes and 3 for hour long episodes. Generally I'm willing to give 2-3 hours of my time to test out a podcast.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I normally like Stuff You Missed in History Class, but boy howdy that interview about gentleman's attire was hard to get through. And surprisingly light on actual content.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CountFosco posted:

The one thing that annoyed me about the Revolutions podcast was the bias Duncan seemed to have for the old French monarchy.

Huh I didn't get that at all and I listened to it twice.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, in particular he was pretty down on Louis XVI for being a wishy-washy flip-flopper who had chances to save his throne but blew them through indecision or bad decisions at critical moments. I mean unless you're thinking that anyone who doesn't portray a monarch as a baby-eating monster instead of a schlub who got out of his depth and lost it all is "pro-monarchy" or something. Because otherwise, I just don't see it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 11, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I would admit looking into the Haitian Revolution has forced me to think about the French Revolution differently. Toussaint Louverture consolidated his power in ways not unlike Robespierre, practicing Terror-like purges. Yet history has vindicated Toussaint because his consolidation of power was successful. And of course, the outcome of the Haitian Revolution in some ways was less ambiguous.

And also, Robespierre consistently supported abolishing slavery. Napoleon reinstated it. The Thermidorians and Bonapartists got to write a lot of the history of the French Revolution and had every reason to paint Robespierre as badly as they could.

Obviously, that's not to say the Terror was good. But it wasn't even among the worst atrocities committed during that time period. I am definitely interested in how Mike Duncan will process the Haitian Revolution.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
Dan Carlin talks about Hardcore History, delays, etc.: http://forum.dancarlin.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46154&p=692291

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think he sounded pro-monarchy, I think he was just acknowledging that the French Revolution was a giant clusterfuck that didn't turn out well for almost anybody involved.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Duncan has a stability and liberal rights bias which is normal.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I listened to the first 5 episodes of the series (on the English revolution) and I'd really rather just read his scripts. He doesn't release those does he?

Does the French revolution season(?) improve vastly over the English Revolution or is it more or less dry and by the book? I have to concentrate pretty hard on what he's saying but I would get it better if I could just read it and I'd really like to because it is well-researched it seems to me.

He doesn't release scripts as far as I know. Stick with it, or skip the English revolution entirely as it's easily the weakest of the three series so far. The start in particular is very dry, and even as someone with a decent knowledge of English geography I found it really hard to keep track of troop movements etc. The later stuff about Cromwell is pretty good though.

His delivery is always very dense though, so if you zone out momentarily it's really easy to lose track of what he's talking about.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have a very low tolerance for internet libertarian stuff, and Duncan doesn't give off any of it / at least enough of it to bother me. I was surprised by how positive on the revolutionaries he was. As for the monarchy, the Ancien Regime isn't actually liked by libertarians, so there's no contradiction there

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 12, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

icantfindaname posted:

I have a very low tolerance for internet libertarian stuff, and Duncan doesn't give off enough of it Revolutions to bother me. I was surprised by how positive on the revolutionaries he was. As for the monarchy, the Ancien Regime isn't actually liked by libertarians, so there's no contradiction there

What on earth made you think that Duncan would be an internet libertarian? Much less the confrontational/ranting/internet libertarian type?

Everything he's ever done paints him as a mild mannered and well intentioned High School history teacher who just wants kids to learn about cool/interesting poo poo that happened.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

I have a very low tolerance for internet libertarian stuff, and Duncan doesn't give off enough of it Revolutions to bother me. I was surprised by how positive on the revolutionaries he was. As for the monarchy, the Ancien Regime isn't actually liked by libertarians, so there's no contradiction there

Don't libertarians generally dislike the government and think everything should be privatized or opt-in anyway? And why must he be pro-revolutionary? I don't know why so many goons treat revolutions or revolutionaries as axiomatically positive things. The Tea Party probably thinks they're revolutionaries too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's understandable to assume why so many history nerds are libertarian-types. Just look at the trajectory of the History Channel.

That said, I don't get the impression at all from the podcasts or his Twitter feed that Mike is libertarian.

Edit: Cool that Mike has a book deal. I'll probably get it even though I'm kind of sick of the whole "Ancient Rome = America" trope.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 12, 2015