Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

mike12345 posted:

I don't know, replying to such a thing makes you look like an idiot as well. Unless the original article garnered a lot of interest, it's like hand-picking a dumb tweet to showcase how smart you are.
I think the general response was "Yeah, this is stupid. I won't even dignify.... wait. This was a Harvard professor?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Echo Chamber posted:

I think the general response was "Yeah, this is stupid. I won't even dignify.... wait. This was a Harvard professor?"

Ok what. Holy poo poo. That's different then.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

mike12345 posted:

I don't know, replying to such a thing makes you look like an idiot as well. Unless the original article garnered a lot of interest, it's like hand-picking a dumb tweet to showcase how smart you are.

Ferguson's a prominent historian writing in a national newspaper, it absolutely needs rebutting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

See also: Dick Dorkins.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The final wrap-up of the French Revolution is up.

Mike says on Twitter that the first episode of the Haitian Revolution's coming December 6th. I'm pretty excited for it. Heck, I'm very excited for it. Haiti's been the Awesome History Thing that I've been obsessed with for the past few years.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mike Duncan has confirmed after the Haitian Revolution he's doing Simon Bolivar/Gran Colombia. Then a break for another Rome tour and his book.

The way he pitched it (a British, French, then Spanish colonial revolution) almost makes me want him to cover Brazil too, even though it's much less revolutionary then those three. Yeah, I know I'm jumping the gun when talking about what I want to see in 2017 and beyond. Even though Mike has only done three revolutions, based on those it's great to imagine what the final product will look like. Considering how he's planning on doing Mexico and Cuba, this will definitely be the most I'll ever learn about Latin American history.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh man Gran Colombia will be great. I really need to get a jump on this series and power through the English Revolution stuff.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't want to start another Mike Duncan thing before I'm finished with Rome. Currently at episode 97.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh man Gran Colombia will be great. I really need to get a jump on this series and power through the English Revolution stuff.

I found it kind of dry. Feel free to skip ahead since it's all self-contained.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The English was a little dry because he was trying to hold himself to a specific number of episodes, but overall I didn't know much about the time period and liked it quite a bit. Not as much as his other series though.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I thought the English Civil War was the best of the revolutions he's done. The French was a hedge maze of names and places to wander around in (maybe it'll click together on the second runthrough) and the American one was weighted heavily towards military actions with very little on the political maneuvers (he even admits as much saying that the series would be three times as long if he went into the happenings at the state level).

The English on the other hand was a good combination of comprehensive and digestible. I could describe the English Civil Wars after listening to it if I needed to, I can't say the same for the French.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The thing I found most annoying about the American revolution was that it still seemed to be told for an American audience. I felt like there was a lot of assumed knowledge going in that as a non-American I just didn't have, and then on top of that he developed a habit of saying "and as we all know, Colonel Guy Random famously said .. whatever".

I found the French Revolution much better with binge-listening rather than in weekly doses. With so many names and places to keep track of, listening in 4-5 episode blocks was a massive help. I also found that listening to the previous episode before starting a new binge made a big difference.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Colonel Guy Random is one of our greatest heroes, and "whatever" is drat close to a national catchphrase.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
He actually coined the term "whatever" after chopping down that whale carcass on the Mississip.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

As a sort of interlude if you follow Revolutions, this week's Unjustly Maligned talks about Napoleon in pop culture, with some historical background as well. Nothing too in-depth, but kind of a neat discussion (and a departure from the show's usual topics of movies/comic books/etc.).

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
What do people think about the When Diplomacy Fails podcast? I've been hearing recommendations all over the place but I'm curious about what people on here think.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just re-listened to Prophets of Doom. That has to be Carlin's best episode, such an insane story and he tells it in a pretty great manner without ever going off track. There aren't even any boxing analogies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
First episode of the Haitian Revolution is up!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

First episode of the Haitian Revolution is up!

I've got a long way to go but I finally worked myself to start the Revolutions series as a whole. I had a lot of trouble going from Hardcore History to Revolutions and it didn't stick. I've been able to do it just fine this time having used Kevin Stroud's the History of English as an in between. The latter is drier than Carlin but not as dry as Revolutions so it was a good segue. I've really been enjoying the English revolution and have just gotten to the end of Charles II's attempt to use the Scottish to beat Cromwell. Looking forward to the rest of the stuff I've forgotten since high school history.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm excited for the Haitian revolution because I know next to nothing about it, much like the English revolution. The American and French were ok but I was also just kind of waiting for them to end.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It's kinda scary how reasonable Carlin sounds when he is talking about mind control :tinfoil:.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YoSaff posted:

What do people think about the When Diplomacy Fails podcast? I've been hearing recommendations all over the place but I'm curious about what people on here think.

I've been listening to it since you mentioned it, and it's pretty good. The first couple episodes are spent trying to find a format to stick to but it's ok.

Peace Frog
Oct 7, 2009

Popelmon posted:

It's kinda scary how reasonable Carlin sounds when he is talking about mind control :tinfoil:.

That was a weird episode... But remember, he got called a kook for his surveillance stuff pre-Snowden. The guy has a good track record for believing the outlandish conspiracy poo poo that turns out to be true.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I think Carlin has the temperament of a conspiracy guy, but has enough historical knowledge and context to channel those impulses in the right directions.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Frankly I can't wait for Yuri's revenge to become real

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peace Frog posted:

That was a weird episode... But remember, he got called a kook for his surveillance stuff pre-Snowden. The guy has a good track record for believing the outlandish conspiracy poo poo that turns out to be true.

You do understand that 99% of it had been repeatedly revealed by other leakers over the past 30 years, all of whom you've already forgotten just like you'll have forgotten Snowden by 10 years from now?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

fishmech posted:

You do understand that 99% of it had been repeatedly revealed by other leakers over the past 30 years, all of whom you've already forgotten just like you'll have forgotten Snowden by 10 years from now?

To be fair, the government is using mind control to make us forget.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well, he did point out that the CIA was working on mind control for decades and only stopped (or said they stopped) because nothing they tried was working. I frankly would be surprised if there was no research being done on it. Whether it's possible or not who knows, but the idea that they'd want the capability if it's possible isn't much of a conspiracy theory.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Popelmon posted:

Meh, he was making the government's funding of potential mind control tech more cloak-and-dagger than it actually is. Talk to large swathes of neuroscience, psychology and cognitive science students about funding and they'll tell you that DARPA is a major underwriter of much of the research in their field. The comedy is that most of this research has very limited potential for any sort of brainwashing; the students have gotten good at baiting intelligence officials with grandiose promises that aren't paying off any time soon and the military industrial complex is the most reliable way to obtain federal funding.

snucks fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 15, 2015

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
It was fun hearing Dan read a newspaper website comment section in the same way he does Mongol generals or Charlemagne

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

joe football posted:

It was fun hearing Dan read a newspaper website comment section in the same way he does Mongol generals or Charlemagne

He really should do a cooking show.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
And ageeeeeeeeen, cooking souffle is like a championship bout between two prize fighters...

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

You guys are going in the opposite direction from what I'd want: Dan Carlin Reads Yahoo Answers.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Maduo posted:

You guys are going in the opposite direction from what I'd want: Dan Carlin Reads Yahoo Answers.

Dan Carlin + The McElroy brothers, how can this miss?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mike12345 posted:

He really should do a cooking show.

Alright, this inspired me, in the name of procrastinating at work, to look up some recipes and read the instructions in Dan's 'quote reading' voice.

quote:

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Add onion, bacon, and cheese and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk to combine, pour into crust, and bake until center of quiche is just set, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I think I'm an idiot but I'm cracking up in my office.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Dan Carlin + The McElroy brothers, how can this miss?

Dan Carlin would be an excellent rogue and a great edition to their party.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Probably old news for everyone in this thread but just in case - Serial is back up and running for another season. This year it's about the capture of Bowe Bergdahl by the Taliban in 2009.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

Dan Carlin would be an excellent rogue and a great edition to their party.

So, do you think he'd be Neutral Good or True Neutral?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dan isn't a party member, he's the mysterious sorcerer scrying on the party in the post-credits episode stinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

RandomPauI posted:

So, do you think he'd be Neutral Good or True Neutral?

"Anybody who knows me know I love everyone equally, folks"

imma say neutral good