Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Philosophize This! did an episode on Marxism a couple weeks ago (the host puts it out early that he is a Marxist), an episode on the popular attacks on Marxism last week, and somehow Adam Carolla is going to be on an episode next week to stump for Capitalism.

Kinda weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Philosophize This! did an episode on Marxism a couple weeks ago (the host puts it out early that he is a Marxist), an episode on the popular attacks on Marxism last week, and somehow Adam Carolla is going to be on an episode next week to stump for Capitalism.

Kinda weird

That's going to be a poo poo show if the host is at all educated.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

He's not quite formally. The host has gone to college, hasn't finished due to a really hosed up family life and financial situation, but he'd been obsessed with philosophy since a child and tutored the other college kids in it even though they were further down the academic track than he was. So, not really, but absolutely not due to any lack of effort or passion

He's also really laid back and will probably get dominated by Carolla.

Still a pretty great podcast though

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm glad that Carlin was up front about not recommending Common Sense to his listeners (like me) who just want to hear him talk about history rather than current events. I feel like listening to Common Sense would unfairly lessen my enjoyment of Hardcore History somehow.
I remember when I first started listening to hardcore history (like 6-8 years ago already?), I thought he was a lunatic on Common Sense. Now I nod along with most of what he says. Not sure if that's because I'm older, if it's because times are more insane, or a combo of both (probably the latter), but I definitely enjoy both now.

I'm just glad there's a current events podcast from someone who is annoyed with both sides of the current discourse, and is even more annoyed that the discourse is what it is.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The Colombia chapter of Revolutions kicked off yesterday, and the first episode already has me extremely hooked. Maybe I need to read a book about Spain in the age of exploration, because that poo poo is just fascinating to me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Dan Carlin is loving pissed in the latest Common Sense.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/its-been-150-years-since-the-u-s-was-this-politically-1590076355

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stealie72 posted:

I remember when I first started listening to hardcore history (like 6-8 years ago already?), I thought he was a lunatic on Common Sense. Now I nod along with most of what he says. Not sure if that's because I'm older, if it's because times are more insane, or a combo of both (probably the latter), but I definitely enjoy both now.

I'm just glad there's a current events podcast from someone who is annoyed with both sides of the current discourse, and is even more annoyed that the discourse is what it is.

So there IS an audience for his absurd false equivalencies?

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

mcmagic posted:

So there IS an audience for his absurd false equivalencies?

You see, it's like a boxing match...

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

If anyone is looking for a show on contemporary politics, i would recommend Chapo Trap House. they have an encyclopedic knowledge of beltway hacks and political commentators and ruthlessly dish on people like keepin it 1600.

I swear about 10% of every episode is jokes about Turkish politics and I love it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

stealie72 posted:

He has the voice and delivery of a wild-eyed maniac anytime he gets excited about a topic, for me that's part of the appeal

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

One the one hand, a major party candidate is openly campaigning for fascism. On the other hand, someone threw eggs at a protest. Turns out the problem is money in politics!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

History of Rome book is on sale now

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I figure this is probably the best place to ask: What's the best option for an episode of a history podcast that covers the history of the NRA? Specifically I want to know the finer details of how they came to be such a powerful organization.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Chapo trap house bad mouthed Ezra Klein's vox article on Clinton mentioned in the latest weeds. My podcasts are fighting.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

I figure this is probably the best place to ask: What's the best option for an episode of a history podcast that covers the history of the NRA? Specifically I want to know the finer details of how they came to be such a powerful organization.

Not a podcast but Frontline has an excellent episode on the history of the NRA.

You can watch it here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/gunned-down/

Hazborgufen
Apr 11, 2005

Srice posted:

I just watched this episode of Frontine that was linked and it does a pretty good job of showing how the NRA became successful, but very little of why they are successful. Which makes sense since the tone of the episode is fairly supportive of gun control so it wouldn't make sense to give a more than superficial treatment to the pro-gun side.

The long and short of it is that the NRA has lots of members who are organized and passionate about their Second Amendment rights.

Full disclosure, I'm an NRA member. I'm also an ACLU member who usually votes for Democrats, for what it's worth. There are certainly ways to expand background checks and to close loopholes without trampling on people's rights. Many attempts at gun control do a lot of over-reach though, so the NRA can take an absolutist stance in their communications to their members and be successful. It drives me nuts that both sides are so antagonistic towards each other that nothing can be discussed in good faith.

I'll stop there though. The Frontline episode will give you some of the information you're looking for.

Firelizard
Oct 11, 2013
Any recommendations on podcasts in the same vein as NPR's Planet Money?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Firelizard posted:

Any recommendations on podcasts in the same vein as NPR's Planet Money?

Freakonomics Radio is the only other prominent "economics" podcast I can think of.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
London School of Economics public lectures & events might also be of interest for people into subjects like public policy, law and economics. They are a well-regarded university and get a lot of prominent speakers. They usually host both a podcast and video of the talk.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Invisibilia is finally back. They've added another co-host and are focusing on wider invisible forces that affect behavior (instead of the internal invisible forces that drive behvaior).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What's a good podcast about the history of the Viking Age? I've been looking for one but all I've found so far are just podcasts about the TV show.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The British history podcast has hit that era of Britain now. Some of the backer bonus episodes have gone more indepth on things from the Viking side but the main podcast is mostly focused on the impact to the English kingdoms

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
He didn't formally announce it from what I can tell, but the top of the Revolutions website says 1848 will be next. Of course, that'll be in 2017 after the break Mike will take following Gran Colombia with the book and the tours.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Started Hardcore History, the Blueprint for Armageddon series. My only complaint is that Carlin's accent reminds me of Alex Jones.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That Ben Franklin dedication mentioned in the latest Revolutions is loving awesome

Also I love the late 18th/ early 19th centuries. "I will literally go to the Sacred Mount where the plebs seceded and pledge my soul to revolution!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any decent podcast out there that covers pirates relatively extensively?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well there's the History of Pirates but I haven't listened personally.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

modestmusashi posted:

Started Hardcore History, the Blueprint for Armageddon series. My only complaint is that Carlin's accent reminds me of Alex Jones.

He definitely has that tenor to his voice but you get used to it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Now I want to listen to "Dan Carlin & Alex Jones present: The Vietnam War".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

modestmusashi posted:

Except with much more boring political opinions.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

feedmyleg posted:

Is there any decent podcast out there that covers pirates relatively extensively?

If you can't find a suitable podcast, I can heartily recommend Colin Woodard's Republic of Pirates. It covers the Golden Age of Piracy in lots of detail.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are there any good podcasts dealing with food science or history? Something like that Dollop episode on Kellogg or the book Salt, Sugar, Fat or even Fast Food Nation.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

embedded.fm is good for interviews with engineers, hackers, scientists. maybe this thread recommended it? totally forgot where I got that from.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

GrandpaPants posted:

Are there any good podcasts dealing with food science or history? Something like that Dollop episode on Kellogg or the book Salt, Sugar, Fat or even Fast Food Nation.

Check out Gastropod.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else feeling worn out with History on Fire's Crazy Horse series?

Crazy Horse was a cool dude and definitely worth covering in-depth but the narrator's narrative feels really stretched out and thin.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
New Inward Empire is up - https://inwardempirepodcast.wordpre...e-1/#comment-73

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Anyone have any good podcasts on British politics? I'll take either crazy rambling Carlin Common Sense style opinions or cool polished Radiolab More Perfect style on the system itself (although I guess thats law rather then politics, but close enough).

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I'm sad to say that I'm withdrawing my recommendation for the Lesser Bonapartes. One of the original hosts left, and the new pair just doesn't have the chemistry that carried the show through its sloppy presentation. It's a shame, but I can't get through the new episodes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I pulled out from them for awhile. I'm hoping that maybe after a series or two they'll have worked out the kinks, but the Eastern Border guy can't keep Glenn on track and is himself too reticent in his presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TheLoquid posted:

I'm sad to say that I'm withdrawing my recommendation for the Lesser Bonapartes. One of the original hosts left, and the new pair just doesn't have the chemistry that carried the show through its sloppy presentation. It's a shame, but I can't get through the new episodes.

Yeah, I agree with this. Its a shame, because it felt like they were finally starting to hit a real groove and had worked out their audio issues