Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Drunkboxer posted:

I like In Our Time but the pace kind of exhausts me. I wish it was a bit longer and the host gave the experts some breathing room to expand on some stuff.

I've always gotten the impression that the host wants to go on longer but the station kind of hurries them out of the studio when their time is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
God that was a gnarly episode. So awesome though, Hardcore History is the best :allears:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wow, I guess I don't feel bad about never donating to Skeptoid. I guess he didn't need it so much!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
New stuff coming from the History of Rome guy in September, also doing an AMA on Reddit tomorrow :toot:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AriadneThread posted:

I've been listening to The Ancient World and that's been pretty cool if perhaps a little dry. The guy has a serious problem with monotone voice although he seems to be trying to change things up more in his newer episodes.
One of the areas he touched on at the start before shifting his focus away was the start of civilization in Mesoamerica. I was wondering if anyone knew of a podcast that focused more on the subject of early American civilizations? That's an interesting topic I don't really hear much about. Or about non-mediterian Africa either now that I think about it.

I'll second this, The Ancient World is nice but really dry and the dude needs a better mic. But I have many fond memories of playing Age of Empires 1 as a kid (which takes place in the timeframe he's examining) so it's all good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Malloreon posted:

History of Rome guy's new podcast has just dropped:

revolutionspodcast.com

:getin: I love the idea of this topic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
New Hardcore History :fap:

It's a multi-parter about World War 1 :flashfap:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't know if it's the writing or delivery that does it but these history episodes have the best openings (which is a loose term, since they can be half an hour long sometimes) of I think any media I've experienced.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Alikchi posted:

I'd kill for a Russian Civil War podcast.

e: maybe the Revolutions guy will get to it someday.

Maybe, I have no idea what the Revolutions guy's schedule is. I didn't realize he'd be doing multiple episodes per historic event and now he's done 8 on the English Civil War(s).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Any episode that makes me want to re-visit Age of Empires 1 is a good one in my book. Maybe spent a little too much time on the Assyrians for what was ostensibly an episode about the Persians, but it makes sense to talk about them regardless.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Charlie Mopps posted:

Has anyone listened to the History of the Crusades podcast? Its up to like 170 episodes so the maker at least is dedicated.

I'm six episodes in and I like it so far but please tell me she cranks up her audio at some point, she sounds like she's whispering.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Shout-out to Patrick of the Tides of History podcast for working the phrase "large adult son" into a discussion of the Hundred Years' War. Reveal yourself coward etc.

Tides of History is good and you should give it a shot. Covers a lot of late Middle Ages stuff and how the roots of what we now consider modern society took hold.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This guest on the latest Tides of History sounds like a caricature of a Victorian aristocrat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It was just the most stereotypical over-the-top British accent I've ever heard, even considering people I've heard mocking that type of accent. It was a good episode but I thought the guy was doing a bit at first.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Folks,
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1165036751850737664

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Some good alt-right bashing at the end of this week's Tides of History, if you're into that sort of thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1171079742570803200?s=19

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Supernova in the East Pt 3 is up for you Hardcore History goons. Nearly five hours long :stare:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Glumslinger posted:

Its been posted

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1222759753874427905

Its 3 and half loving hours, looks like focusing on Alexander the Great's mom

Are snake girls the horse girls of the ancient world? :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tides of History re-posted their episode on the Black Death in Europe from a couple of years ago as "bonus" listening during lockdown. Timely, especially the societal implications!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

JaneError posted:

Tides of History with Patrick Wyman just released a COVID-centric ep with Mike Duncan, a little bit current politics, a little bit history.

It's a good episode. Tides has done a few good episodes recently on COVID-19 and its historic parallels, definitely give the show a shot if you haven't listened before.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Patrick Wyman is great and is definitely filling the Mike Duncan-shaped hole in my heart right now. Funny how these internet-famous historians keep turning into different types of leftists in our current political climate!

Jack B Nimble posted:

He can join Mike Duncan and they can begin applying their signature styles to recent history like policing in the US south. Give me a first person perspective cut away to a black man fleeing Mississippi in the 1930's , warmth of other suns style.

Duncan has been on at least one episode of Tides, a joint project between the two would be :krad:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sleng Teng posted:

Is Tides of History still locked behind a subscription, or at least a good bit of it? That and ad reads was what prevented me from getting into it when I tried some time ago, but hearing Wyman on other stuff I bet I’d enjoy it. Maybe I’m remembering wrong

I...don't think it is? And the ad reads have progressed to "just OK" now, I agree that they were super awkward at first.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah for a guy who claims to be a Libertarian or against the two major US political parties, he has kind a lib or at least old-school view of the current protests against police brutality and the general state of affairs. Especially when the rest of the episode was him correctly stating "Trump is crazy dangerous and if you believe in him you are also dangerous", even if he wasn't that direct about it.

Whatever, as far as "people who don't agree with me 100%" go he's fairly harmless and at least acknowledges that he's still trying to make sense of our current situation, so I'll keep listening to the one Common Sense he puts out a year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Don't forget our other favorite self-radicalized history podcaster
https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1347334592517304321

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I generally agree with the apolitical stuff Dan is saying (mobs get out of hand and can break away from their true cause, your side isn't destined to win a given struggle, people are too insulated in their chosen beliefs and it's tough to break out of it), but the equivalence between far-left and far-right protestors in his mind is super flawed and speaks to the power of the current right-wing media (or maybe the weakness/lack of true left-wing media). A bunch of leftist activists harassing the mayor of Portland at dinner is way different from an armed and somewhat coordinated break-in of the drat US Capitol and it's crazy to me that a guy who has spent years studying and discussing World War II can't see that. Or talking about how the presence of Antifa motivates the far right and makes people sympathetic to them...but talking about it in a way that makes it clear that he's fallen for the same propaganda he's warning about.

E: maybe I'm just too plugged into online leftism here and outside of SA but it really brings me down when I see a historian talk about appeasing or balancing out with the current GOP/Trump cult as if there isn't great historical precedent about why that's a bad idea. Thank God for Mike Duncan and Patrick Wyman I guess.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 14, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Mike Duncan put best the way the context changes everything in his thread. Like both the context of how as more facts come out it's more evident that there was an even more violent contingent of the mob that was directly out to hurt people, and the context that everything about the riot was entirely based on lies.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1347120575605579776

Because if you zoom out from the specifics of how much coordination there was between leaders in office and the mob and whether there was a direct incitement to violence, the entire premise that they were there to protest over was a lie. There's been no significant evidence of voter fraud, and Trump had been saying he wouldn't accept electoral results where he didn't win since 2016. This was a premeditated and manufactured crisis from top to bottom.

Oh yeah I remember seeing that thread, thanks for the reminder.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wyman had some truly dire ad reads in the early days of Tides / Fall of Rome, or at least dire in comparison to the quality of said shows. Maybe his book will sell enough copies that he can go independent again :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
To Carlin's credit, I remember four or five years ago he closed one of his Common Sense shows by saying "this whole Trump thing has completely invalidated my approach to present-day politics, so I don't know if I can keep Common Sense going much longer". Yet he's put out a show or two a year since then and...has stuck to that same worldview? Getting old must suck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cockblocktopus posted:

I've been dipping in and out of Tides of History but I'm proud of Patrick for landing the big Dick Pills account before(?) Behind the Bastards.

lol I had that same thought but wasn't brave enough to post it, thank you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I bought both The Verge and Hero of Two Worlds, you can't stop me.

I bought a second copy of The Verge for my dad for Father's Day but after about a quarter of HoTW I think this might have been more up his alley. Maybe next year!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

Carlin's got an episode with Elon musk on

Look what they've done to my boy :negative:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It’s a shame because Death Throes of the Republic, Punic Nightmares, and Wrath of the Kahns series were incredible, especially at the time. Seems like right around his WWI series he started to lose the ability to form a tight narrative, and then he started to double down on libertarianism I guess.

I keep telling people that the history podcast game has passed Carlin by, and they never believe me. But those 4-5 hour episodes twice a year still hold some mystique, and maybe it's unfair to judge him in part by what he does outside of the main show.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cockblocktopus posted:

Friendship ended with Hardcore History; now Fall of Civilizations and Shadows of Utopia are my best friends.

Revolutions and Tides of History for me, but yeah p much.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

webmeister posted:

I get annoyed with the Age of Empires sound effects.

Those are the only good production bits IMO. Very evocative of the era being discussed this season :v:

Wyman is also pretty funny when he's allowed to cut loose, I've heard him as a guest on a few non-history podcasts and he's been great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I am going to keep mentioning the "history of US political parties" idea that Mike Duncan floated on Twitter a year or two ago until enough other people see it and also start repeating it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

I adored it, but I'm worried about how much I'll be into it moving forward. The prehistory and Bronze Age subject matter was so fascinating to me that I worry it's going to feel a bit more "names and dates" moving forward. How was the first Iron Age episode?

Honestly, avoiding the names and dates trap or whatever has been Wyman's wheelhouse as a history podcaster. He's always struck me as being more interested in trends that arise from historical events, only using names and dates as a way to mark when a certain idea or process took root in the civilization of the time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Has anyone listened to Hell on Earth by the Chapo guys? The topic seems interesting but their main podcast hasn’t been good since before the pandemic so I’m hesitant to give it a try.

They put the first episode up on their public Soundcloud, I liked it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tides is good, probably my favorite history podcast of the last few years. Patrick is probably the best history Podcaster I've heard at "such and such happened all these years ago, here's what that can tell us about the world today" which I think is the part of history that a lot of people don't get. It's not all just names and dates!

E: the ads are putrid though, I can't deny that.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i like his dumb little intros where he is having a red hot crack at wriring historical fiction

Making up Weird Historical Guys and using them as framing devices has been one of his things going back to Fall of Rome, I like it as a way of humanizing what gets discussed in particular episodes.

E: I want a Wyman narration of the opening scene of Marvel's Eternals that takes place in pre-historic Mesopotamia.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 13, 2023