Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Just subscribed to In Our Time and Hardcore History. This sounds perfect for my commutes to work everyday.

I'm already a big fan of TAL and RadioLab so I'm hoping these will be great additions/complements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

Oh yeah I think that's clearly whats going on. It's most frustrating when its a biographical episode about a historical figure, because the little things about a person are sometimes the most interesting. They'll start to go onto an interesting tangent but ol' taskmaster Bragg whips them back into a discussion of the big picture.

I really wish they would do an Internet only extension of the show. Kind of like the Daily Show always cuts interviews short and then may decide to throw the rest of it up on the web. I know they have to fight for studio time, but who knows.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I just started listening and I'm sure the rest of the episode is great, but Carlin spending the first 15 minutes of the episode apologizing for it is really turning me off.

Agreed. I started trying to listen to his podcasts, but it almost seems like they aren't scripted. He clearly has done quite a bit of research, but in the little time that I listened it's almost as if he has a concept and an idea on what to present, major talking points if you will, but I always get frustrated when it seems like he's searching for a word. It's just a pretty big difference I've noticed between that and other, more heavily edited podcasts.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Likewise. I too couldn't make it too far into Carlin's podcasts. I'm sure they have great information and are well thought out, but the lack of information density in any given 5, 10 or even 30 minute timeframe was unnerving.