Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I just discovered 99% Invisible yesterday.

http://99percentinvisible.org/

It's a podcast devoted to discussions on architecture and design and how they affect real people in the real world. It's as fascinating as RadioLab and as well-produced. The episodes tend to run 10-15 minutes, occasionally longer. The producer, Roman Mars, has a great voice and a great "attitude" as he presents, but most of the meat of the episodes is presented by experts or commentators concerned with whatever the topic is.

Recommended 1st Episode: 68 - Built For Speed - http://99percentinvisible.org/post/37800145222/episode-68-built-for-speed -
"I want you to conjure an image in your mind of the white stripes that divide the lanes of traffic going the same direction on a major highway. How long are the stripes and the spaces between them?

You can spread your arms out to estimate if you want to.

Over the course of many years, a psychology researcher named Dennis Schafer at Ohio State asked students from many different parts of the country this question and the most common response was that the white stripes are two feet long.

Tom Vanderbilt, author of the brilliant book Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us), reveals the real answer and some of the other perceptual countermeasures that are designed to make you feel comfortable going way faster than your brain can adequately process."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

WEH posted:

Paved the way, sure, but slick production values and listenability don't make up for the fact that they are (or at least were) flat out wrong about lots of stuff.

Curious, what are some examples of topics they were wrong about? Radiolab is one of my favorite podcasts, so I'm genuinely interested in where they go astray