Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The Fall of Civilizations podcast is 100% my jam and I'm swallowing it whole. The Greenland Vikings episode was fantastic.

drat, somehow this went under my radar but I am fully on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't listen to it consistently, but whenever I run through a few episodes of The Pirate History Podcast I come away impressed. It strikes a great balance between doing what it says on the tin, as well as putting that in the greater context of the history of civilization and focusing in on relevant subjects outside of a strict historical continuum.

It probably errs a bit on the side of pop-history in places, but I think it's a good listen for anyone who is curious.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Your point is absolutely correct, but since this is a history thread I feel like I wouldn't be a proper dork without pointing out that teeeecchnically the Fu-Go balloon bombs were also attacks on a number of states.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Strange how every history podcaster becomes radicalized to the left except the one who started out with an incredibly milquetoast centrist pocast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isaac Arthur is so good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agreed there. But I think futurism to some degree requires a willful optimism about the human race and the intentions of individuals. I don't think many folks with a realistic grasp on the human condition think we're ever going to build Dyson spheres.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's seriously in consideration for my favorite history podcast, and competition is tough. It's got a very fun pop-history give, but unlike most in that category is thoroughly researched, goes back to original sources, and is legitimately illuminating on its subjects. The Easter Island episodes recently were fantastic. Highly recommended that everyone give it a shot, especially if you were turned off by the skeptic angle or it being too fluffy. It's only getting better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The artifact subreddit is great, too. Depressing that so many "history" subreddits are just brimming with conspiracy theory content.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

It's like in boxing, when you have the older heavyweight going up against the newest champions. Sure he was good in his day, but the muscles don't quite work as well and the reflexes aren't a fast, he's still got a good right hook every once in a while but he's not winning in the long fight doing the same strategy he was as a young fighter.

:golfclap:

The past few years has seen a slew of terrific niche history podcasts that totally outclass Carlin's early work, while at the same time he's slipped more and more into Self-Indulgent History Stepdad territory. I don't see him pulling up at this point, but if he does make some sub-hour episodes on ancient history I'll still give 'em another shot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
lol Carlin and Musk are a perfect match. He's the ultimate lame centrist history dad, and those guys probably all love Musk.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Musk is an attention-seeking dweeb, he probably asked to be on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think there is anything that could ever make me listen to a Hardcore History episode again. Maaaayyybe if he did 30 minute self-contained episodes about ancient subjects, but even then his worldview is just not a lens I want to look at history through. Whatever historical subject might seem interesting, there's likely a great podcast already out there from someone whose politics I can respect more.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Prof. Banks posted:

Has anyone else ever had an episode of a podcast they liked be so factually wrong that it ends up spoiling their trust in that podcast?

Back in the day I really liked Radiolab up until the moment it covered something that I knew a lot about.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Samovar posted:

Yeah, I'm saddened that he won't be covering those other Revolutions, too.

He ran out of material. We're just going to have to eat the rich if we want more bonus episodes :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anything anyone would recommend akin to The Memory Palace? Self-contained smaller slice-of-life stories from history focused more on the people than the events? Or at least smaller interesting moments from history that aren't necessarily audacious like The Dollop.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lady Radia posted:

in fairness, the JFK assassination is something i'm suuuper patient about conspiracy theories for. all the poo poo around it is objectively Weird as Hell

My thinking is that if you analyzed literally any event with that level of scrutiny and detail it would seem Weird as Hell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm listening to Our Fake History and I'm really liking it. I find a lot of history podcasts too dry or overwhelming. Weirdly the only other history podcast I have gotten this obsessed with was fall of civilizations which is quite dry and very thorough to the point of overwhelm. I guess I don't have a lot of history knowledge and a bunch of bronze Age and early iron age history is very new to me. Anyway I'm nearly out of Our Fake History and I'm looking for something fun and conversational but maybe a bit more focused if that makes sense?

IMO it's the one to beat. If you find something let me know!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anything covering ancient Irish history? Ideally as early as possible, even neolithic. In Ireland for a couple weeks and would love to have something to listen to while driving.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Perfect suggestions! The early episodes of The Irish History Podcast were exactly what I wanted, and the mythology ones are right up my alley. Thanks!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When these things get too into a ton of specific names of successions of people involved they lose me. I either like a 10,000 ft. view of events or spending a really long time on a small group of people.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I adored it, but I'm worried about how much I'll be into it moving forward. The prehistory and Bronze Age subject matter was so fascinating to me that I worry it's going to feel a bit more "names and dates" moving forward. How was the first Iron Age episode?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've been a bit checked out of this thread. If I were to redo the OP, what are the current cream of the crop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Unfortunately I fell off of Tides after the prehistory simply because the subject matter was 75% of why I was there.

Are there any other solid podcasts covering prehistory?