Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

feedmyleg posted:

In Our Time

Actually a BBC Radio 4 broadcast, each week Melvyn Bragg gets together with three expert University professors to discuss a new topic relating to culture, history, philosophy, religion, or science. Dry, but extremely informative.
My recommended first episode: Think you know about the Library of Alexandria? You’re probably wrong.

This is a really interesting show, if for no other reason than its breadth of material, but drat does the host need to stop mouthbreathing into his mic. It is super distracting.

Hardcore History is really amazing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hardcore History released a new episode. It's 4.5 hours long :stare:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is there a podcast similar to The Bowery Boys, but for Los Angeles? I'm always intrigued whenever I hear stories about Los Angeles's history and culture, but listening to the Bowery Boys just makes me want to learn more about my hometown (sorta). Listening to The Bowery Boys also makes me want to live in New York, but that is another thing entirely.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Popelmon posted:

I got mad at the Boardwalk Empire comment too. That show is insanely good, people just ignore it for some reason.

I just got into The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin show two weeks ago but I love it. He has amazing guests. I just listened to the episode with the Facebook designer and it was just super interesting.

Jeff Rubin seems to have the same problem as Chris Hardwick in that he gets super interesting guests, but he's really not that great of an interviewer. For some reason I also get really annoyed when he brings the conversation to some tangential nerd subject, like videogames or something when the subject is not at all about videogames, but I could just be letting one or two incidents getting to me when it may not be an actual problem.

Edit: Still looking for city-based podcasts! That aren't Notebook on Cities and Culture because the episodes I listened to were not about the city at all, but were mostly about these kinda boring people living in the cities.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 28, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm going to crosspost this from the PYF Kickstarter thread:

GrandpaPants posted:

99% Invisible is a phenomenal podcast about design and architecture. I'm not even sure where to begin with good episodes, but I was really entranced by the Heyoon episode for some reason. But really, if you have even a casual interest in the subject, it's definitely worth a listen, and Roman Mars's voice has this sort of calming quality about it, despite his metal as hell name.

Anyway, their Kickstarter is up with some pretty snazzy rewards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

In addition to all the aforementioned criticisms about how wrong he was about television, I also thought that he made a couple of uncomfortably sexual remarks that just kinda came out of nowhere. Like I think he said something along the lines of "Whenever I wasn't trying to sleep with my girlfriend" or that final bit with the "buying this book could get you laid," it just felt really kinda out of place and almost desperate.

Man, I really wish I hadn't listened to that podcast because I actually have the book, but now I kinda don't want to read it. I mean, the lack of any context for who people are except for a (huge) index in the back of the book doesn't really make it readable, but drat was that guy insufferable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Quad posted:

I'm looking for more Film podcasts, on the analysis/history side of things. I've caught up with the ones in the OP, and with Battleship Pretension; should I try Filmspotting at all?

Filmspotting is okay, but I wouldn't consider it very analytical. They make a few points, but they really do more of a review, looking at acting and writing and all that stuff. They do a cursory amount of analysis, but it's not terribly deep. I have to say, that if the movie deals with race at all, it becomes astoundingly obvious how white these guys are (this became especially prominent for The Impossible, wherein neither had any issue with the casting).

What Filmspotting does do very well is recommend movies. Whether it is through their art/foreign film marathons (Satyajit Ray marathon is coming soon) or through their Top 5 lists, they have multiple ways to promote movies that make them sound way interesting. I'd recommend listening to a few episodes and skipping over the "fun" parts, like Massacre Theater, poll questions, donator shoutouts, letters, etc., then deciding whether you like it or not. Their format doesn't really change that often, except with Michael Philips occasionally joining in.

I'd say that The Macguffin Men do a bit more on the analysis part, but I've never been particularly dazzled or wowed by their insights. They're also a lot more casual about the whole thing, which makes for some more easy listening but sometimes their points do come off a bit underdeveloped, like they just had a thought, wanted to share it, but went nowhere else with it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I actually felt the same way about Carlin at first. At the time the only podcast I'd ever listened to was the first half or so of The History of Rome so when I went from that to Carlin's Death of the Republic it was a huge difference and I just didn't like it. He sounded like a crazy person raving. I listened to like 10 minutes, gave up, and a couple months later once I finished Rome and needed something to listen to I tried again. After the first hour or so I guess I just adjusted, because now I listen to all his podcasts and love them.

Just wanted to echo this. At first, his voice had this tone that reminded me of really aggressive radio personalities, like Rush Limbaugh or something. But then I got wrapped up into the narrative of the Mongol hordes and whatever, it was cool.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The impression is ruined because I thought that Carlin pronounces Genghis Khan with a "J" sound instead of a hard "G." Also no boxing analogy.

Stephen Colbert is a national treasure though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

ChetReckless posted:

Dave finally addressed all that in a podcast and everything seems cool now, in general and with Alan Bellows.

Thank you for this post because I couldn't stand The Dollop's hosts, but thought the information was (drat) interesting, so I'm grateful for introducing me to drat Interesting, where I can read interesting historical trivia at my leisure without having to endure two unfunny comedians.

I'm glad that You Must Remember This is getting traction in this thread, since I've always found that period of Hollywood history really fascinating, especially in how we idolize a lot of its stars (Marilyn Monroe stands out here) without actually knowing that much about them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Has the Myths and Legends podcast been mentioned yet? It's fantastic.

Wanted to give this more love, since I started listening to it because of this post and it's pretty fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Firelizard posted:

Any recommendations on podcasts in the same vein as NPR's Planet Money?

Freakonomics Radio is the only other prominent "economics" podcast I can think of.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Are there any good podcasts dealing with food science or history? Something like that Dollop episode on Kellogg or the book Salt, Sugar, Fat or even Fast Food Nation.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I've been really liking Reveal, which tends to go for those "lost in the cracks" sorts of stories that Last Week Tonight kinda goes for, but obviously this is done pretty much stone sober. It's one of those "Yeah, I knew this was hosed, but I didn't realize just how hosed it is" podcasts, which is some combination of informative and depressing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good global development podcast? Like one that is focused on successful (or failed, even) development programs, supported by studies and real world examples? I guess I'm looking for something a bit meatier than news and more practical than like, TED Talks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PerilPastry posted:

Listened to Radiolab for the first time in years, and is it me or has it actually improved? The last two episodes didn't seem to feature nearly as much heavy handed editing and forced banter as back in the day.

Is this an accurate impression of the direction of the show or is it just that their latest stories were farmed out to other reporters, leaving less room for Krulwich and Abumrad's overproduced BS and annoying personas?

Jad has been busy with a lot of other projects, so the last few Radiolabs felt like they were either outsourcing it to others or was just Robert doing a story. It's good though because that whole Poverty series was really good and worth a listen.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

You Must Remember This owns, but you can probably safely skip the blacklist stuff. Despite being kinda interesting in concept, most of the stories felt very much like variations on a theme. But yeah, that Manson series was riveting as hell.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like Carlin a lot but domestic US politics outside of election season is boring as gently caress, so why anyone would want to listen to common sense in the first place is beyond me

It's like trainspotting (the hobby, not the movie), but in slow motion and they collide into each other and occasionally you're on the tracks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I feel that TAL does too much to sympathize with people who should be justifiably mocked and shunned, like the one youtuber who started being very feminist and then ended up dating an MRA dude. But perhaps it is me coming from a position of hostility, rather than any need to understand this subculture.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

buglord posted:

Curveball: any podcasts about dangerous activities? everest, K2, deep sea diving?

The outside podcast is kind of a grab bag of various physical activities, with the Science of Survival ones being about people in kinda hosed up circumstances:
https://www.outsideonline.com/podcasts

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

GraPar posted:

Honestly, hosting In Our Time well is a loving impossible task, and Bragg does it as well as anyone could.

I'm sure someone else could host without wheezing into the goddamn mic, which would already be an infinitely better improvement over Bragg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

golden bubble posted:

I can't see how anyone can be excited by President So-So.

I'd love a President So-So right now.