Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Mercs had motion detection in Chaos Theory. It was a all red vision mode which would highlight the spy in color if he moved above a certain speed. It was honestly kind of useless.

I think whoever made it was just in love with the Predator's movement vision mode, it was pretty much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember there being quite a few other things that would give away your position, that if you had played a while, you pretty much knew where someone was.

If you didn't hold E when bringing out your sticky shocker, it would turn the laser on which made a slight bit of noise.

Shooting cameras and motion detectors would always tell the mercs that there was a security failure.

I also remember that if you were any good at aiming with your mouse, the rifle was the best weapon in the game since you could scope in quickly and headshot someone.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTgPLucnYNg

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
What I miss from all the SvM games after PT was the spy bullet and sound scrambler combo. To me that was a novel idea. One guy could tag a merc and listen to THEIR communication for a while. Follow it up with false sound decoy that would most of the times send mercs scrambling to the wrong location.

What happened to those great ideas? Like the COMBAS towers in Chromehounds, where control of information or misinformation was a side gig to the overall mission.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Some hot vids got dropped, here's one from Ubi for SvM: Spies vs. Mercs Blacklist mode preview as a Spy (with commentary). It's a nice chunky 9 minutes long and it seems it runs for about half a match (teams switch sides at halftime). It's Blacklist (4v4 COD ACTION FAST ZOMG) mode but it seems pretty sedate and slow-paced considering what they've shown earlier of it previously.

Also for some SP, some more previews; this guy played them all in perfectionist mode it seems. Focused mostly on gameplay, might be more coming. Looks like you can disable HUD elements, but he didn't show off the menu option list, so what's still there is still fair game (like the waypoint indicator). He also actually shuts up and just lets the footage run for the last 1/3 so take what you want from that.
Robert Cram's preview and commentary: Part 1 - Dogs
Robert Cram's preview and commentary: Part 2 - Ghost playstyle
Robert Cram's preview and commentary: Part 3 - Panther playstyle
Robert Cram's preview and commentary: Part 4 - Assault playstyle
Robert Cram's preview and commentary: Part 5 - Perfectionist mode

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?
SvM Preview Video, Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m56J7RwqaGY

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Watched both previews, and I have to say spies appear insanely dark almost wondering half the time how they were detected. Which is good, I'm sure on my own TV it will be a bit more noticeable - but one thing that made the PT version so good was that pitch black areas of the map.

That said, Blacklist SvM mode feels like someone wanted to retweak DA SvM. I love the merc traps. And if they are hunting spies they are lethal. But if spies come flank in unseen they are unstoppable.

That's all fine and dandy. Now I want to see Classic Mode. :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They already showed Classic Mode, but the video was edited super-poorly with a bunch of quick cuts. It was impossible to get any good data about the gameplay from their "preview". Maybe they'll revisit it with a long-form video...

Something that might interest fellow Spies vs. Mercs fans - the new Batman game will have multiplayer, 3v3v2. Three Joker gang members, three Bane gang members, and Batman and Robin running around messing with both sides. Sounds promising.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They already showed Classic Mode

From what I saw out of that video, like you said, spies are real dark and they can run around. That's very little intel on what Classic will be like. Hopefully there's a longer hands on view soon since the game is right around the corner.

quote:

Something that might interest fellow Spies vs. Mercs fans - the new Batman game will have multiplayer, 3v3v2. Three Joker gang members, three Bane gang members, and Batman and Robin running around messing with both sides. Sounds promising.

Elements of stealth?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dvlos posted:

Elements of stealth?

Yes, essentially it struck me as Mercs vs. Mercs vs Spies. Batman and Robin (I'll just call them B&R from now on) have to be stealthy due to their well-documented allergy to fully-automatic machine-gun fire. B&R have to do different kinds of takedowns and setups to fill their "Intimidation Meter", once they do that the game is over and they win. They have Detective Mode (see through walls), batarangs, gadgets, the Bat-Glide, all that stuff.

The thugs are basically playing 3v3 domination, they have guns and some gadgets and are trying to capture control points from each other. Also, halfway through the game they get a call from their crime boss (either Bane or Joker) to open a door and let them into the map, and the first player to do that turns into either Bane or Joker, depending on their team. As Bane or Joker they get some cool special abilities but the crime boss doesn't respawn if they are taken out. I'm not sure if that means that the dead crime boss respawns as a regular player or that the team is down a player for the rest of the match, I'm just going on what the previews tell me.

Sounds pretty neat, it's got the stealth element and the gunplay element and all that. The initial trailer is of course, diced to poo poo so it's impossible to see how it actually plays - maybe they'll show something better later. I'm actually pretty stoked about it, I'm a big fan of asymmetrical multiplayer provided it's done well.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dvlos posted:

Watched both previews, and I have to say spies appear insanely dark almost wondering half the time how they were detected. Which is good, I'm sure on my own TV it will be a bit more noticeable - but one thing that made the PT version so good was that pitch black areas of the map.

That said, Blacklist SvM mode feels like someone wanted to retweak DA SvM. I love the merc traps. And if they are hunting spies they are lethal. But if spies come flank in unseen they are unstoppable.

That's all fine and dandy. Now I want to see Classic Mode. :)
Mercs I believe have a bunch of vision modes and tools to poke spies out of the corners (like that tagging device they showed in the merc video). From what I can tell mercs only get flashlights in Classic mode, i.e. they don't have any special vision modes or tools that silhouette a spy.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

In the classic games though mercs had a few detection modes electrical and movement sensors, hopefully they still have that.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Man. Its been since Chaos Theory that i played a SC game, but this one caught my eye.

My main question is, how bad is Ubisoft DRM these days? Im highly interested in getting this on PC. Also how have previous Splinter Cell games controlled with mouse and keyboard? Will i need to use my 360 controller for this?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Talkc posted:

Man. Its been since Chaos Theory that i played a SC game, but this one caught my eye.

My main question is, how bad is Ubisoft DRM these days? Im highly interested in getting this on PC. Also how have previous Splinter Cell games controlled with mouse and keyboard? Will i need to use my 360 controller for this?

I just played through both Chaos Theory and Conviction with a Mouse and Keyboard and as with most games and it's as good as a controller so it comes down to preference.

Ubisoft DRM still sucks, but it's on par with EA's DRM. Basically, launching the game in steam will launch Ubisoft's storefront/DRM thing where you actually launch the game. I'm not sure if this requires an internet connection or not. I don't mind it, but I know and understand the points people make about how this can suck.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
My only worry with it, is whether or not a first day purchase ( or preorder ) of SC: Blacklist would mean playing a week later, cause of service outages type thing.

Im really loving the footage ive seen so far. The Spies Vs Mercs stuff is something i would pay for just by itself.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Like with the rest of UPlay titles on PC, there is a first-time authentication where you tie your CDKey to your UPlay account. After that you can pretty much play offline (but it still uses the launcher) on UPlay.

I don't get the impression this game (or the franchise) really sells gangbusters enough to break the Ubisoft servers during authentication or anything.

Then there's also the matter of how SvM/co-op works on PC. They haven't said if it's P2P or there will be dedicated servers or ... well anything, really.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

FOR REAL SPIES VS MERCS a full goddamn round:

:neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard:
Classic SvM, 2v2

20 minutes sounds like a typical round. Dunno why it took so long for Ubi to show this off (via a youtuber who visited their studio) when they officially showed it off the press months ago.

Also if anyone actually cares about SP:

First 15 minutes

And then the next 30 minutes or so (first actual mission)

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
For about half of the merc gameplay in that video i was half tempted to scream "LOOK UP!!!" or "TURN ON YOUR FLASHLIGHT".

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I am really sad Conviction is hated so much because other than the god awful Iraq mission and the escape out of 3rd echelon which ends up being littler more than Dora the explorer with mark and execute (I see three bad guys! Tres! Muerte!) the game was so incredibly fun. The problem is that it had the name Splinter Cell. If it had been just a game with a bad rear end dude sneaking around, it would have fallen under the radar.

I never played CT; I actually purchased it, had problems installing it on the laptop and then went nerd rage about the DRM. I finished the original one and got most of the way through PT so I know what a splinter cell game should feel like. It's incredibly satisfying to take down a two or three guards with hidden rifle fire. It's awesome to just sneak by and say you get to live today. Yet playing that way is the worst possible way to do Conviction. If you ever played a splinter cell game before, put Convition on hard mode, never stop moving and try for as many hand to hand take downs as you can. It's a riot. The game really shines when you treat it like a speed run. Main campaign is only 4 hours or so anyways.

Maybe I just don't "get" it anymore, but playing conviction with the plan to take down 90% of the enemies with my bare hands just makes me giddy.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

If Conviction was named 24 The Game, it would have been ok. If Conviction allowed for either the fast action assault play it had hoped for AND the die hard stealth the series is based on, I would have been happier with Conviction. Now Blacklist from what we see will offer both, or a third that is a hybrid of both- which is absolutely fine with me- and should appeal to all types of gamers (as there is a group of people that really liked Conviction but not the prior games).

Sober posted:

FOR REAL SPIES VS MERCS a full goddamn round:

:neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard:
Classic SvM, 2v2

Man. I want this now. :(

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 2, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Classic SvM looks pretty good, wish that the spies didn't have that stupid stabbing front attack but whatever, I'm game.

I do like that the Mercs get mines, that essentially allows them to cover 4 entry points rather than 2. Good stuff.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I do like that the Mercs get mines, that essentially allows them to cover 4 entry points rather than 2. Good stuff.

I do not understand why you wouldn't keep the flashlight on, the guy keeps playing with flashlights (but with vision modes, I'm sure spies can see him). Somethings are confusing, guy drops a resupply pack and explodes for some reason. The furious exchange of emps and grenades was pretty cool, but I can tell you this, that last hack is going to be seriously impossible to attain.

EDIT: So there's no sniper rifle that Megaman can blip spies to death from some dark corner of the map???

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 2, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

When the merc was dropping the ammo pack, I believe a spy had a sticky cam on him and detonated it on top of him. There was also a kill 30-40 seconds in but it looked like a mix of flashbang and a crossbow stun caused a merc to drop a frag grenade at his feet and blow himself up (since I believe you have to get into the sticky camera before you can actually detonate it).

Maybe it's because I didn't play PT/CT SvM but I have no real issues with spies being able to well, have lethal kills. Getting death-from-aboved means you should be more careful of your surroundings and getting frontal stabbed means you were probably caught with your pants down since it seems like even a quick assault rifle burst will put down a spy easily.

Wasn't one of the issues in the older games that everyone had lives so spies would occasionally spend a lot of time not hacking and just trolling the mercs to death? I think I'd rather enjoy this instead, where a hack means more hide-and-seek tension and dying matters less than making as much progress as possible (or preventing the other team's).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dvlos posted:

EDIT: So there's no sniper rifle that Megaman can blip spies to death from some dark corner of the map???

Truly a dark day (literally).

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Sober posted:

Wasn't one of the issues in the older games that everyone had lives so spies would occasionally spend a lot of time not hacking and just trolling the mercs to death? I think I'd rather enjoy this instead, where a hack means more hide-and-seek tension and dying matters less than making as much progress as possible (or preventing the other team's).

This essentially what killed CT/PT style play, there was limited lives and merc respawn made it essentially a spies game. The gameplay initially was spot on, spies tried to stay hidden, hit objectives, cat and mouse with the mercs etc. It TURNED into kill the mercs first, spies were too lethal. DA came around and made mercs fast and more brutal and turned spies into acrobats, if I recall they got rid of most traps and just had the drone. In DA it was fun to be a merc, hard to be a spy- not to mention too many completely lit up maps.

The most fun was the true cat and mouse, popping in and out of the shadows, knowing that the mercs (while they can be killed) have the ultimate power to end the game for spies.

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?
Another game of 4v4:

http://youtu.be/jl2Yh-W9GAw

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

If anyone is interested in the customization stuff, here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJU3iBF_Lk

Looks like some of them might overlap with SvM Blacklist (4v4) weapons. There seems to be GRFS amounts of customization here, but I don't think as extensive or you can't switch out stock parts for every category.

You can also match/mismatch parts and camo colour to your liking so yeah.

edit: ^^^ I watched that 4v4 earlier and god does that just prove KDR chasers don't do poo poo. Not sure if I can fully forgive them for not knowing what they were doing but watching them play spy was pretty sad.

Sober fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 3, 2013

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
So I got a text from Dextor today (Old time SC vet) and this is out next freakin' Tuesday already.

I am assuming 360 for the veteran posse?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bingo. Hit me on the PM scoop, I'm gonna turn on the WaffleSignal and see if he'll make it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'll be thinking of you guys.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Dogen posted:

I'll be thinking of you guys.

Dogen! You aren't playing?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Utnayan posted:

Dogen! You aren't playing?

Eh I've been buying stuff on PC mostly lately, but perhaps since a surprising number of SCPT old timers seem to be getting together I'll get it on 360.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Dogen posted:

Eh I've been buying stuff on PC mostly lately, but perhaps since a surprising number of SCPT old timers seem to be getting together I'll get it on 360.

There is only one right answer for this Dogen. I'm shocked and appalled you would even suggest PC instead of booming home theater for this one.

Shocked

Appalled

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anyone here have Conviction for Xbox360 and want to run the co-op campaign with me? I've never played it, and I'm getting tired of waiting around for my friends to get off their asses and play it with me. My gamertag is Xenomrph 01.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Reviews are coming in. Joystiq, Polygon, and IGN loved it. Generally calling it the best of the series with genuine stealth/ghost options and solid multiplayer. Edge UK, not so much, feeling that the game wants you to shoot bad guys really, really bad.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

isk posted:

Reviews are coming in. Joystiq, Polygon, and IGN loved it. Generally calling it the best of the series with genuine stealth/ghost options and solid multiplayer. Edge UK, not so much, feeling that the game wants you to shoot bad guys really, really bad.

Oh great, another game with a bow.

Well, at least the reviews seem promising.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sounds like they missed the mark with Sam's overall demeanor and he ends up coming of as boring/generic. Was worried about that, after hearing his voice in one of the recent trailers :( Gonna miss the charm Michael Ironside brought to it.

Surprised that it's getting praise for strong stealth mechanics, though. This just got put back in to my list of future purchases, I suppose.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I actually really like Conviction, it's a bad Splinter Cell game but a good, pacey action/stealth game ..

With that said, I didn't play co-op very much.

Anyone up for it? I'm on PC, and I'm in the UK if latency is much of a thing. (Fibre. My host should be strong)

FYI, for those of you who liked Convictions action stealth, it's definately worth giving Ghost Recon Future soldier a try. The addition of a natty little cloaking device pushes it pretty close towards what conviction is and less of the mondo warzone of the GRAW games.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 14, 2013

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

waah posted:

I am really sad Conviction is hated so much because other than the god awful Iraq mission and the escape out of 3rd echelon which ends up being littler more than Dora the explorer with mark and execute (I see three bad guys! Tres! Muerte!) the game was so incredibly fun. The problem is that it had the name Splinter Cell. If it had been just a game with a bad rear end dude sneaking around, it would have fallen under the radar.

I never played CT; I actually purchased it, had problems installing it on the laptop and then went nerd rage about the DRM. I finished the original one and got most of the way through PT so I know what a splinter cell game should feel like. It's incredibly satisfying to take down a two or three guards with hidden rifle fire. It's awesome to just sneak by and say you get to live today. Yet playing that way is the worst possible way to do Conviction. If you ever played a splinter cell game before, put Convition on hard mode, never stop moving and try for as many hand to hand take downs as you can. It's a riot. The game really shines when you treat it like a speed run. Main campaign is only 4 hours or so anyways.

Maybe I just don't "get" it anymore, but playing conviction with the plan to take down 90% of the enemies with my bare hands just makes me giddy.

Probably the most fun I had with Conviction was playing the coop campaign by myself, and putting it at a 2 minute limit for each stage. One of the levels going up a metal stairway was particularly brutal, especially if you're trying to go full stealth.

Also you really should play CT

^^^ hey dude watching these spy v merc games makes me want to play coop conviction again. I'm in texas but my uplay account name is josh912

bef fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 14, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Early reports are in:

--------------------------
Spies and Mercs are missing a lot of their gadgets in Classic mode. MUCH more stripped down. No Spy Bullet, no Sticky Cam. This stuff has been moved to Blacklist mode or removed. Classic has fixed loadouts. Blacklist has different gadgets.

"Feels more deathmatchy" even in Classic.

Spies are not quite as mobile as they should be. There's no straight jumping - it's all context sensitive movement.

Still a lot of fun.
--------------------------

Not bad but different. Be ready for this. The person who was telling me this got a legit copy from someone who broke street date in their local area and knew I was a big fan.

Also there's bullshit progression unlocks for Blacklist. None of that for Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

ShineDog posted:

With that said, I didn't play co-op very much.

Anyone up for it? I'm on PC, and I'm in the UK if latency is much of a thing. (Fibre. My host should be strong)

I'd be up for it. I'm in UTC+1, latency shouldn't be a problem. Uplay name is unique_nil.

• Locked thread