Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great timing since I've just started trying to get into Chaos Theory and I'm struggling a bit with getting used to the keyboard controls. Is is possible (or even recommended) to try and "ghost" through the game on a first playthrough or should I just take things as they come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Utnayan posted:

I would grab an Xbox USB Wired controller. It will play a lot better for you.

I had exactly the opposite reaction, I'd held off playing it for a year till I got a controller and when I finally got one, the game felt awful using it (plus not every action has an associated button). I actually prefer kb/m in most games anyway, I was just having trouble getting my head around all the various things you can do in the game, even after watching the video tutorials.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, the mouse-wheel adjustment for walking speed makes a big difference in Chaos Theory. I made it through the lighthouse and got what I felt was a fairly respectable 75% score. I enjoyed the little touches, especially the guy who tells the story about the thunder storm when he was a child, and tells Fisher (if you choose to interrogate him) that he's been waiting for him to come out of the storm for him all his life.

In my end of level stats it said I killed somebody, when I made a conscious effort not to. Can people die if left out in the environment? Literally the only thing I can think of that might have killed somebody was that they were unconscious and left out in the rain with their mouth open!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think I spent roughly 4 hours total doing the bank mission in Chaos Theory trying to get it exactly right. Not because I felt I had to, but because I really wanted to. Getting through every objective without hurting anyone or alerting anyone (other than freaking out a couple of guards with whistles to lead them away from their workstations) or setting off any alarms was so satisfying. Are the other levels as good as the bank? Because that was a blast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ugh, 85% on the Displace level in Chaos Theory because I didn't use the EEV to listen in on the two guards talking about Milan Nedich. I DID listen to their conversation, just not with the EEV, and kind of assumed that it was just the start of finding out more about him in the level otherwise.

Does it change anything in the cutscene that follows or the Hokkaido level or is just extra added flavor to the game?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks, the way Shetland talked about/reacted to the idea of Nedich made me curious if Sam might have been able to offer some proof/back-up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just finished Chaos Theory, found it an enjoyable game but the last couple of levels were kind of annoying, particularly the Bathhouse. Perversely that did kinda work for The Bathhouse because by the end of it I loving HATED Shetland and couldn't wait to unload a bullet in his face, and it gave me a great deal of satisfaction to blow his head off a micro-second after he told me,"There's no way you can shoot me, Sam! :smug:" - does the game do anything different if you choose NOT to do that? Or does it just lead to a game over?

I liked the game well enough to keep an eye on the new one when it comes out, but from what I've read Chaos Theory really does seem like the Hitman: Blood Money of this franchise - a really good game that the others in the series don't really live up to. Hopefully the new Splinter Cell is a good standalone game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sober posted:

Nice! Did you happen to do any ghosting or did you just try to stealth through most of it, occasionally shoot/shank some unaware guards? And yeah, the end of Bathhouse (well most of it after it goes south) is really infuriating especially going for the 100%.

Only level I fully ghosted was The Bank (which was my favorite level as well), though I tried to make it a point not to kill anyone. After initial confusion over death strikes vs knockout strikes in The Lighthouse, the only level I ended up killing anybody (that the plot didn't demand) in was in The Bathhouse, because it was ludicrous to me that Fisher wouldn't shoot down idiots who were trying to kill him while he was defusing bombs. So I think in the end I killed something like 4 people total? Maybe 5.

Sober posted:

I was going to do a longer post having just finished Conviction again and what my thoughts are on Blacklist with that in mind. Do you really mind spoilers on that (and by some extension Double Agent)?

I don't mind spoilers at all, I'm unlikely to play those games but I wouldn't mind reading about them.

Also, did anyone else find the way Lambert says,"FISHER!" at the start of so many sentences really goddamn annoying? I'm trying to be stealthy and save the world you fat old man, stop yelling in my ear out of nowhere! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sober posted:

CT still has the best tone of the games. It's loving world war 3 and Sam and the people in his ear included and just joking off half the time: Redding watching baseball at work. The whole eastern seaboard has been hit by a terror attack and whoops, I remembered that I forgot to do my laundry. Can you guys stop making me feel old? We saved the world, could we finally get that raise? It's a shame SCDA was basically overly melodramatic throughout the whole thing and Conviction was pretty much straight and serious except for a few lines from Sam to try to lighten the mood.

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed the humor in this, especially during some of the interrogations (particularly if you listened in on conversations beforehand). I loved the bit about the ninjas (the guy was so excited to meet a real ninja!) or the guy who happily admits to being a huge coward. Fisher trying to make a joke about Ronald Reagan that fell flat was hilarious to me, you can tell how old he feels when it doesn't get a laugh.

• Locked thread