Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«37 »
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

PLEASE WORK OUT

Release - Out now ya'll

Starring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez, Dwayne Johnson, Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges, Tyrese Gibson, Sung Kang, Luke Evans, Gal Godot, Gina Carano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_puVuHoR6o Final Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcNov3-R14 Fast five after credits scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94EIgeWVI0 super Bowl spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1QgNF6J1h0 Extended trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfETobjFl48 Chucklefucks getting pulled over "drag racing" after fast five

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cluHT8fF29s Sung Kang and Paul Walker do (intentionally) lovely Vin Diesel impressions

If you had told me in 2001 that The Fast and Furious would've spawned six movies with over 1.5 billion in box office reciepts I would've had you committed but here we are in 2013 with another Vin Diesel movie about fast cars. This one picks up right where Fast Five left off.

wikipedia posted:

After the events of Fast Five, professional criminal Dominic Toretto and his crew are wealthy, but their criminal records prevent them from returning to their home country. Following his attempts to apprehend them, Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) agent Luke Hobbs offers the crew a deal; he will give them all full pardons for their crimes if they help him take down a lethally skilled mercenary organisation led by a criminal mastermind and his ruthless second-in-command, Dominic's thought-dead lover Letty Ortiz.

After Fast Five I'm 100% convinced that this will be amazing and I'm looking forward to fast seven where the team has to steal the moon or whatever craziness needed to pull off whatever insane stunt that will look awesome in a trailer.

Since Han (probably) dies in Tokyo Drift you might be wondering why Sung Kang in Fast Five/this movie well to answer your question the chronological order of the fast and furious franchise is-
The Fast and the Furious followed by
2 Fast 2 Furious followed by
Fast and Furious followed by
Fast Five followed by
Fast and Furious Six
(between now and when the franchise is no longer profitable)
Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at May 25, 2013 around 13:47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Somebody fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2013 around 02:42

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fast Six looks incredible and I would not be surprised at all if it turns out to be the best movie ever made.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

These movies are escalating like the Peter vs Chicken fights. At first it was just racing some riced out civics but pretty soon space shuttles are going to get involved.

E - and they can tie into Riddick!

Dom was frozen and floated into deep space, until one day 800 years later...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Can somebody get us a Ludachris smilie for reals? My god, it would be magical.

Super stoked for this movie.

Efc: which of the films was the turning point where the series found its groove and figured itself out? I want to say it was Tokyo Drift, but it may have been as late as Fast5.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2013 around 02:00

Human Tornada
Mar 3, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

The Bananana posted:

Efc: which of the films was the turning point where the series found its groove and figured itself out? I want to say it was Tokyo Drift, but it may have been as late as Fast5.

I'd say Fast & Furious. It takes itself a little too seriously at times, but for the most part it knows it's completely silly but still plays it completely straight.

Tokyo Drift has the right idea, and Lucas Black's bumpkin character is fun to watch, but without the original stars it just isn't the same.

The original is still my favorite though.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

It's quite a feat for an original franchise (not based off an existing property)- to have the fifth film be the best one. Can any other film franchise hold that title? Really can't wait for part 6 and trailer has me pumped.

Dark Weasel
Sep 1, 2006

I don't know what it is but it's getting louder

I'm so goddamn angry that they aren't calling this FURIOUS SIX

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Your friend and protege,
Tom Copperfield.

Based on the escalation of 4 and 5, and now the trailer, this could be the most ludicrous, OTT movie of all time.

And I can't wait. Superheroes? Pfft. Car-flips and huge bald men growling at each other are where it's at.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

cumbersome motion capture

Dark Weasel posted:

6Fast6Furious

Fast Five was amazing, and if this is anything like that movie was, it'll probably be my favorite movie of the year. I never thought I'd say that about a Fast & Furious movie, but yeah, Fast Five was ridiculously entertaining.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!

Muscle Boys Max Muscle Edition 6 - Muscle Town

He's even bigger in this one. Pretty soon he's going to reproduce asexually, like an amoeba.

Edit: I read that on TMZ.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Genuinely can't wait for this, looking forward to it more than any other 'big' film this year. And it's not just me, Fast 5 basically garnered a truckload of goodwill from everyone I know that saw it, none of us expected anything much but it turned out to be sooooo much fun, and with a refreshingly diverse cast too.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Dark Weasel posted:

It nearly was.

Usually Bill Simmons has some of the worst opinions in sports, but he nailed it with the analysis of the trailer...
http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...xtended-trailer

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Oh my god, that extended trailer was sooo gooood.

This movie is gonna be amazing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Rock is really what has brought me back into this franchise. He's bigger now, and is throwing a jumping punch in the trailer, sign me the gently caress up.

Anyone notice in Fast 5 just how much sweatier The Rock was then everyone else? We got a big kick out of it, he always looked like a PA sprayed him down before his scenes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Valyrian, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!

NeuroticErotica posted:

It nearly was.

Usually Bill Simmons has some of the worst opinions in sports, but he nailed it with the analysis of the trailer...
http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...xtended-trailer

The star rating at the end ties up that analysis perfectly. I lost my poo poo laughing. Good read.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

That looks loving mental, this series really took off once they decided the laws of physics were the only thing holding them back.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHN

The Dave posted:

The Rock is really what has brought me back into this franchise. He's bigger now, and is throwing a jumping punch in the trailer, sign me the gently caress up.

Anyone notice in Fast 5 just how much sweatier The Rock was then everyone else? We got a big kick out of it, he always looked like a PA sprayed him down before his scenes.

Yes they even make fun of it.

Tyrese(I think it was him) says, "Does anyone smell baby oil?" as The Rock is walking in.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

I'll repeat what I said from the trailer thread.

quote:

I'm serious when I say this: The Gina Carano vs. Michelle Rodriguez fight could very well top the Vin Diesel/Dwayne Johnson fight from the last movie. Much like that fight, these are two action stars who could otherwise star in their own solo movies, and are still at their physical prime. I hope they planned this fight with the same HOLY poo poo mentality.
I'm not a car guy by any means, but Fast Five is my personal favorite action movie from the past few years. I'd definitely want to do midnight, if it's possible to avoid all the annoying teenagers who'll also see this. But who am I kidding? Fast Five brought out my inner 15-year-old.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2013 around 15:30

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

cumbersome motion capture

When I saw the trailer during the Super Bowl, I was thinking it looked like Fast Five meets Death Race, and I am so goddamn okay with that. I really hope it turns out to be exactly like that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I'll repeat what I said from the trailer thread.

I'm not a car guy by any means, but Fast Five is my personal favorite action movie from the past few years. I'd definitely want to do midnight, if it's possible to avoid all the annoying teenagers who'll also see this. But who am I kidding? Fast Five brought out my inner 15-year-old.

My favorite part of these movies is the parking lot after opening night, when all the teenagers try to do stupid poo poo in their moms' cars. Does anyone have that video of the cops busting a street race after a Fast Five showing?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

I saw Fast Five last night on HBO or ShowTime. It was such a good reminder that Fast Five was the most entertaining movie since it came out. Furious Six is going to be awesome.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

It's nice to Justin Lin remain the headline director for this franchise. Nicest guy ever if you ever get a chance to meet him.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Modus Operandi posted:

It's nice to Justin Lin remain the headline director for this franchise. Nicest guy ever if you ever get a chance to meet him.

It's also really nice to see an Asian-American director given the keys to a huge franchise like this; so far he's been doing a bang-up job.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hewlett posted:

It's also really nice to see an Asian-American director given the keys to a huge franchise like this; so far he's been doing a bang-up job.

On a similar note, someone else pointed out how diverse the cast is too, and it's worth mentioning again. The only white guy with a major role is Paul Walker.

Not that it necessarily means anything, but Fast Five passed the Bechtel test too, in the scene where Jordanna Brewster finds out she's pregnant.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

ninjahedgehog posted:

On a similar note, someone else pointed out how diverse the cast is too, and it's worth mentioning again. The only white guy with a major role is Paul Walker.

Not that it necessarily means anything, but Fast Five passed the Bechtel test too, in the scene where Jordanna Brewster finds out she's pregnant.

Actually depends on the sex of the baby...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

As much as I love Fast Five, I'm not going to hold its depiction fo women in high regard. Remember it's the movie with the "dat rear end" handprint scene, and had quite a few silly male gaze moments that directly pandered to horny young teen boys. I'll just say from a "minority perspective" standpoint that it does to a decent amount to relax my guard from "looking" for problems and just allows me to enjoy the power fantasy guilt-free to a certain degree. It also helps that knowing that Justin Lin has been pretty candid about his opinions of how Hollywood has depicted Asian American men in the past.

Although it's not much, I do think it's good that they're unfridging Michelle Rodriguez. I hope the Carano/Rodriguez fight won't go the lazy "this is hot" route but rather "Who would really win in this badass vs. badass fight?" route.

DrNutt
Apr 12, 2007

If you want a picture of the future, imagine getting loud and spilling drinks on the Citadel - forever.

One thing I really loved about Fast Five was the Vin Diesel/Rock fight, because holy poo poo it turns out that Vin Diesel is actually tiny. I thought they would shoot it in a way that made them look like they were on equal footing, but nope, he's totally dwarfed by the Rock. Also, I enjoyed that Fast Five was basically Modern Warfare 2: The Movie + some fast cars. I absolutely hated the first two movies, and now I feel like since seeing Fast Five this is probably the best action franchise in town.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

The Bananana posted:

Can somebody get us a Ludachris smilie for reals? My god, it would be magical.

Super stoked for this movie.

Uhh you're joking right? Mr. John Singleton saved it with 2 Fast 2 Furious. Okay the first one was a little hokey. Local PD, some guys stealing some stereos and DVD players. Small time.

2 ups the stakes and sets the pace for the rest of the series, plus, Ajax should be in everything. They trade in their garish Mitsubishis for a loving Yenko. Tyrese chews scenery, Rutger Hauer lends a nice presence, and Luda is used sparingly enough to be entertaining.

3 kind of stands apart since it necessarily resets the stakes back down to a smaller level, but I like it. Plus who wouldn't want Han for a best friend?

I'm glad Tyrese will be getting another paycheck from this series. Justin Lin, too.

Also, if you haven't seen "Better Luck Tomorrow," go see it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

As much as I love Fast Five, I'm not going to hold its depiction fo women in high regard. Remember it's the movie with the "dat rear end" handprint scene, and had quite a few silly male gaze moments that directly pandered to horny young teen boys.

Agreed. The Bechtel test isn't thorough, but it is startling how many movies fail it despite its conditions being really pretty easy to meet.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

I'm glad Tyrese will be getting another paycheck from this series. Justin Lin, too.

It's pretty interesting when you hear Lin talk about breaking the billion dollar grossing director mark because he still uses his Hollywood payday to finance indie film projects.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

Uhh you're joking right? Mr. John Singleton saved it with 2 Fast 2 Furious. Okay the first one was a little hokey. Local PD, some guys stealing some stereos and DVD players. Small time.

2 ups the stakes and sets the pace for the rest of the series, plus, Ajax should be in everything. They trade in their garish Mitsubishis for a loving Yenko. Tyrese chews scenery, Rutger Hauer lends a nice presence, and Luda is used sparingly enough to be entertaining.

3 kind of stands apart since it necessarily resets the stakes back down to a smaller level, but I like it. Plus who wouldn't want Han for a best friend?

I really don't think 2Fast was the film that getting it into the current groove that it is in now. The first was and still is a great popcorn movie and 2Fast tried to fill in what the first one was missing, but it was just too over loaded for my liking. I mean for the love of god, a PT Loser rolls out of the warehouse when Brian and Rome are trying to avoid the cops. If that doesn't tell you that the film didn't get it to where it is, I don't know what does. Fast and Furious is the film that got the series to where it is today and is the closest to the first. You don't see the darkness that was in the first in 2Fast, mainly because of the fact that film switch from the dark grittiness of Los Angeles, to the bright, fun Miami, which kind of killed the vibe.

The same thing happened with Tokyo Drift. I haven't really seen this installment all the way through yet, mainly because of the fact that I don't really consider it to be part of the series (mainly because of the fact that I don't understand where it fits in with the other five films), because it's so brightly colored and feels somewhat wonky compared to the others. Fast and Furious is where the series really started to find it's groove. The darkness that is found in the first one, is found here again. Granted, it's much more darker than the first, but the same idea is there.

On this note, is it just me or does the action in these films keep getting crazier and crazier as the series goes on. I'm still waiting for a massive cross country Gumball style race cross country that will be insane. It's going to happen sooner of later.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHN

screenwritersblues posted:

On this note, is it just me or does the action in these films keep getting crazier and crazier as the series goes on. I'm still waiting for a massive cross country Gumball style race cross country that will be insane. It's going to happen sooner of later.

I'm thinking at the end of this they are going to become a car based PMC.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fast and Furious is where the series really started to find it's groove. The darkness that is found in the first one, is found here again. Granted, it's much more darker than the first, but the same idea is there.

If I recall, most of the action in F&F was car or racing based while Fast Five was really the first attempt to make it into a fully fledged action movie with fistfights, gun battles, foot chases through a favela etc as well as car-based scenes. And the main plot was a heist which while involving cars, was nothing to do with racing or smuggling using cars as they did in F&F. Fast Five was really the departing point for the series.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

I really don't think 2Fast was the film that getting it into the current groove that it is in now. The first was and still is a great popcorn movie and 2Fast tried to fill in what the first one was missing, but it was just too over loaded for my liking. I mean for the love of god, a PT Loser rolls out of the warehouse when Brian and Rome are trying to avoid the cops. If that doesn't tell you that the film didn't get it to where it is, I don't know what does. Fast and Furious is the film that got the series to where it is today and is the closest to the first. You don't see the darkness that was in the first in 2Fast, mainly because of the fact that film switch from the dark grittiness of Los Angeles, to the bright, fun Miami, which kind of killed the vibe.

I like the first movie and I think it stands ok on its own. However, it's more character-driven (haha) as the premise is the cops trying to take down a ring of stereo thieves, which is smaller scale when held up against later plots. And I agree with you about the cars. It's funny that you mention that scene, because that's when Brian and Rome trade in their Eclipse and Evo for the Yenko Camaro and Charger, which is what I was trying to highlight as a transition.

And yeah the first one was darker (although still smaller scale), but I think that reflected the more 'broken' nature of the characters at that point in their lives, as well as the shift in focus from 'the crew' to Brian and Rome, the smiles bros.

The same thing happened with Tokyo Drift. I haven't really seen this installment all the way through yet, mainly because of the fact that I don't really consider it to be part of the series (mainly because of the fact that I don't understand where it fits in with the other five films), because it's so brightly colored and feels somewhat wonky compared to the others. Fast and Furious is where the series really started to find it's groove. The darkness that is found in the first one, is found here again. Granted, it's much more darker than the first, but the same idea is there.

Yeah, you really have to think about Tokyo Drift as almost a separate movie, or really a sequel to Better Luck Tomorrow, but not to a Fast & Furious movie, but I like how it stands on its own. It resets the premise so it is again smaller scale which allows Mike Winchell to have a meaningful arc.

And yes, the stakes have to keep increasing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

"Slow train coming"

"Slow quality poster coming to the threads about the shows I like."

"No, really, jokes aside, post more in The TV IV because you make good points and don't suck."

I wish they used the Fast and Furious script from American Dad.

Also, tanks, while very furious, are not exactly fast!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

PLEASE WORK OUT

ninjahedgehog posted:

Does anyone have that video of the cops busting a street race after a Fast Five showing?

Added this to the Op because it's pretty great.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

WARNING
Choking Hazard

Not for Use in Out of Conference Games

Long story short this is going to be amazing and I hope they keep letting Justin Lin pump these films out. They are at this point basically my favorite movie franchise. The whole series takes a swift departure once Justin Lin takes over as the director and producer. Forget any other considerations of what changed, he came and made it amazing.

And Tokyo Drift is the best one. It is all about racing, without the car racing there is no movie. The rest of them are other crime genres; heist films, on the run, theft mystery, but they could all exist without the cars. Posted longer thoughts in prior threads on this topic, so I'll leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

escape artist posted:

I wish they used the Fast and Furious script from American Dad.

Also, tanks, while very furious, are not exactly fast!

Honestly in two or so movies we'll probably get the first scene from the American Dad script played straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azSqnF7bSc

(Sorry for the horrible quality, can not find a clear recording).

«37 »