Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

MrBlandAverage posted:

How did the negatives from that cheap as hell 612 back ever turn out?

Haven't shot with it yet, I might this weekend. I'll post results as soon as i can scan em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Genderfluid posted:

One of the reasons it's the best. Let me list them all.

Huge negatives (2.25 x 3 inches), which is around a third of the surface area of a 4x5 negative.

Crazy sharp optics.

Really really light and portable, especially compared to something like the pentax 6x7.

It's really the bees knees. If it only had a built in meter... Carrying around a spot meter isn't so bad though.

I just use my phone to meter. My favorite bit is actually how it looks like a "regular camera" so people don't constantly bother you about it too. Mmmmm it's so awesome.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I just ordered a GW690II off of eBay. I was originally scouring for a mirrorless or a dslr body upgrade but I got sidetracked and suddenly I've won an auction for one shipping from Japan. I haven't shot anything film in years, especially not on a camera that's actually good. What is good film to start with for it? I'm thinking of starting with B&W landscape or architecture photos.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Arista EDU Ultra 100/400 from freestylephoto.biz is always a safe starting point.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Arista EDU ultra is cheap and has nice tonality, I use the 200 in 4x5. It can get a little grainy in smaller formats and has the worst reciprocity failure you could possibly imagine. Other good options are Acros 100 for slower stuff, and HP5+ or Tri-X 400 for high speed work.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

acros 100 and hp5+ own own own

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Can't be said enough.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
<3 portra

10 Mile Coulee by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

Mr. Despair posted:

I cannot wait to load up some 4x5 acros. Wish acros of any flavor was easier to get in Canada though. Fujifilm hates canada. I was however able to get a box of 4x5 velvia from them, which I am super excited for.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 23, 2013

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
15 sec exposure on some portra

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What did you meter say regarding exposure time? Or, how many extra seconds did you add in order to compensate for the reciprocity failure?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Santa is strapped posted:

What did you meter say regarding exposure time? Or, how many extra seconds did you add in order to compensate for the reciprocity failure?

Meter said exactly 15 seconds. Used the spot meter on my N90s and pointed it at the siding under the far window.

Mr. Despair posted:

Haven't used acros (store doesn't carry it :( ) but hp5+ has definitely become a favorite.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Bought an 80+ year old box camera today, chucked some Acros in it and stand developed it:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Had a lovely time shooting last night, just me, the camera, and six members of the Greenburgh ny police department, who were all somehow necessary for filing a report about a guy taking pictures of the exterior of a store at night

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Did they ask to see the photos?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Genderfluid posted:

Had a lovely time shooting last night, just me, the camera, and six members of the Greenburgh ny police department, who were all somehow necessary for filing a report about a guy taking pictures of the exterior of a store at night

Nice. I had two cops in a K-9 unit pull over to ask me why I was standing in the crosswalk by the median with a tripod. I told them I was taking a picture of the county library and would be gone in 5 minutes. They left but the younger guy looked mad. :confused:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I was accused of being a pedophile for taking this:

Sexy young Christmas trees. People are touchy at night.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nothing says sex creep like a MF camera and a tripod.

I'm assuming that person who commented on Flickr is a friend of yours?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

"Pervert" dude, yeah. He knows I'm into young trees.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Saplings to the front of the line.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Holy poo poo, this just owns bones!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

dukeku posted:

I sometimes wonder how Todd Hido handles people when he's taking his pictures. Does he bring one of his books and show people his previous work or something?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

As long as he's not trespassing it's easy to deflect these people. I was taking pictures of industrial sites today and I had a security guard pull up and talk to me about how everyone is paranoid after 9/11. He was actually a pretty nice guy. Then some other american hero crossed the street later to ask me what I was shooting and who I was with. My own personal terrorist organization/environmental activist group.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 26, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

My friend bought some LED panels so I decided to try and shoot a portrait of another friend who came over to his house as well. One good thing about using LED panels with my Hassy is that you don't need to bother with a flash sync cable anymore, and you can see how the light will be like right in the viewfinder, instead of having to test with another camera or Polaroid. Shot this on Astia film as well.

Alva by alkanphel, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only problem I've had with a camera out is an extremely tall and well built african american threatening to beat the poo poo out of me if I ever pointed my DSLR in his direction. It would have been one of those news stories where everyone blamed me for being an idiot, because I was a weak looking white dude strolling around an area known for gang violence.

But there were century old bricks poking up through some worn down asphalt and I just had to have a picture of it. :smith:

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

dukeku posted:

You people make me sick

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is it weird that I like to explore peoples' houses that I don't even know and take pictures? Not like breaking and entering, just like... meet them for the first time and take my 500cm and go exploring. Is that wrong?

Spinning by iantuten, on Flickr

Unskewed by iantuten, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

QPZIL posted:

Is it weird that I like to explore peoples' houses that I don't even know and take pictures? Not like breaking and entering, just like... meet them for the first time and take my 500cm and go exploring. Is that wrong?

Spinning by iantuten, on Flickr

i would like these more without dust spots

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Genderfluid posted:

i would like these more without dust spots

Eh, I'll get around to that eventually.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

QPZIL posted:

Goddamn I love this shot.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dust spots rule

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Fragrag posted:

I sometimes wonder how Todd Hido handles people when he's taking his pictures. Does he bring one of his books and show people his previous work or something?

I recall reading something where he spoke of his technique, lots of it was taking pictures from a distance and slowly moving in if there was no trouble.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Welp, pulled test roll out of the tank, and something's not right with the Pentax 6x7 I bought :sigh:

A couple shots came out fine, a few have what appear to be the rear shutter curtain across half of it, others are blank. It's an old body (6x7, non MLU), wonder if it's worth it to get it repaired. Guess I need to try and find someplace in Japan and get a quote, given how the yen's weakened it probably doesn't make sense to send it back to America for repairs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Welp, pulled test roll out of the tank, and something's not right with the Pentax 6x7 I bought :sigh:

A couple shots came out fine, a few have what appear to be the rear shutter curtain across half of it, others are blank. It's an old body (6x7, non MLU), wonder if it's worth it to get it repaired. Guess I need to try and find someplace in Japan and get a quote, given how the yen's weakened it probably doesn't make sense to send it back to America for repairs.

It will most likely be cheaper to just replace it if any sort of electronics are involved. I don't think 67 parts will work in older 6x7s.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Ok, so I have one of those annoying help me with a light leak requests, I have a new to me Mamiya C220 which appears in great condition but when I got my first roll developed about half the photos have a clear light leak and its apparent if sometimes light on all the negatives. Looks like this

Leak by Haught, on Flickr

leak by Haught, on Flickr

At first I thought it must be in the bellows somewhere because the lines are so straight but a) I can't find one even in a perfectly dark room with a torch and b)picture spacing from the camera isn't completely even, yet the spacing of the light leak is and it gets significantly worse on the last two shots. Could I have just not rolled it tight enough? It's hurting my head. I guess I'll just redo the light seals even though they look pretty good and try to be more careful.

I really like the camera though and I think the 105mm lens is an interesting focal length to use.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Those leaks look somewhat like what I got on my Yashica Mat-124G when the screws on the film roll holders weren't entirely tight.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Yeah, it looks like the film wasn't rolled tight enough and a small wrinkle let some light in. I had this happen once on my GW690ii when I didn't latch the roll in properly causing the take up to be a little wonky.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Doorway by alkanphel, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I just shot some paper negatives in my 4x5 for a pretty awesome result. I'd definitely recommend trying it sometime if you're into getting an antique feel. The ISO is ~4, though, so get ready to shoot long and wide open.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm guessing you used the Harman positive paper? Is it just like regular paper processing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Scanned stuff from the cheap as heck 6x12 back

The Library, Scarsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Garage, Hartsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Rear Wall, Hartsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Grand Opening, Greenburgh NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

• Locked thread