Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
sup y'all a couple questions, I searched the thread but didn't find anything similar.

I just picked up a Mamiya C220, and the foam around the edges of the back plate is kind of deteriorating. How essential is this to preventing light leaks if I were to remove it? I ran a pre-exposed roll of film through it just to test it, and it had a couple pieces on it. Was interested in taking this as a second camera to a wedding and I really don't want to risk anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sealing foam is usually there for a reason.
If you remove it, replace it with some new foam. You can usually get pre-cut replacement foam sets on eBay for a few dollar.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
more Rolleiflex

Mandurah, July 2015 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Forever obsessed with my Hasselblad. It's been over 2 years and I honestly don't see myself ever getting rid of this camera.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lim Liak Street by alkanphel, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

scotty posted:

sup y'all a couple questions, I searched the thread but didn't find anything similar.

I just picked up a Mamiya C220, and the foam around the edges of the back plate is kind of deteriorating. How essential is this to preventing light leaks if I were to remove it? I ran a pre-exposed roll of film through it just to test it, and it had a couple pieces on it. Was interested in taking this as a second camera to a wedding and I really don't want to risk anything.

The long-term solution is to replace the foam, as others have said - but if you really want to use it before you can replace the foam, just cover the edges of the door with gaff tape. It'll slow things down for you when you need to unload/load a roll, but it might be better than not being able to use the camera at all.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
x-post from the street thread

img027 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Foro Romano I by alkanphel, on Flickr

Foro Romano II by alkanphel, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Finally got around to scanning stuff I have in my back log!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Really nice tones!

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 26, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Chinatown by alkanphel, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

120 shoot astia erryday for the next two days

Bike by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
The large format "Intrepid" camera that was on kickstarter a while back is taking orders now. Kinda tempted to get one though I should probably wait and see what people have to say about them.

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 31, 2015

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

crap nerd posted:

The large format "Intrepid" camera that was on kickstarter a while back is taking orders now. Kinda tempted to get one though I should probably wait and see what people have to say about them.

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

I just put in an order for one. It's cheap enough to get even if it ends up being kind of a dud.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
This might be of interest to people, a high speed (iso 120) direct positive paper Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114183606/galaxy-hyper-speed-direct-positive-photo-paper

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
starting to scan 50 rolls from a month long trip to japan/korea

Ben, Akihabara by Cameron Mattis, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Genderfluid posted:

starting to scan 50 rolls from a month long trip to japan/korea

Ben, Akihabara by Cameron Mattis, on Flickr

That's a lot of flickr tags.

Also nice photo.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

This might be of interest to people, a high speed (iso 120) direct positive paper Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114183606/galaxy-hyper-speed-direct-positive-photo-paper

I put in for a pack of the 8x10 became why not at that price.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My Mamiya C220 is out of focus enough that I am convinced it's not user error anymore, and I need to adjust the focus screen. I've read how to do this, by putting a piece of ground glass on the back and compare the film plane focus using a loupe to the focus screen. I am having a hard time finding the right kind of glass to use with this camera (what do I even search for?). I've seen people recommend using something like wax paper but I feel like that would be too flimsy and wouldn't give accurate results anyway. Are there any other clever DIY solutions?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've used wax paper for pretty much the same thing when mucking around with home built cameras and converting Polaroids to large format lenses. It works well, just carefully tape it flat with masking tape and go for it. You could probably cut a strip like a length of film and use the rollers to get it at exactly the right position.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I saw an uncle today I haven't seen since I was a kid. He showed me some pictures of guitar's he's made out of ancient kauri and huon pine and poo poo, also some awesome furniture. Anyhow, he's offered to make me a camera if I send him the plans :yotj:

So I'm thinking of getting him to build me an 11x14 camera for WPC (to use when I actually get better at it). Flatbed preferably. Does anyone have any plans (looking @ u spedman) for an 11x14 camera, or adapted Ty Guillory's plans to 11x14? What sort of materials etc? It would be super awesome to have a handmade camera from a family member. I'd do it myself but it would probably just end up full of dust. I found a website that was in german that supposedly has 11x14 plans but the link was dead.

here's a guitar he made out of the ancient kauri, wood's carbon dated as 5860 years old. It's friggin beautiful, using Duesenberg hardware.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I shot some expired Ilford Multigrade paper, think I'll need to use some of the filters to get that contrast down, its a bit much.

what the gently caress posted:

I saw an uncle today I haven't seen since I was a kid. He showed me some pictures of guitar's he's made out of ancient kauri and huon pine and poo poo, also some awesome furniture. Anyhow, he's offered to make me a camera if I send him the plans :yotj:

So I'm thinking of getting him to build me an 11x14 camera for WPC (to use when I actually get better at it). Flatbed preferably. Does anyone have any plans (looking @ u spedman) for an 11x14 camera, or adapted Ty Guillory's plans to 11x14? What sort of materials etc? It would be super awesome to have a handmade camera from a family member. I'd do it myself but it would probably just end up full of dust. I found a website that was in german that supposedly has 11x14 plans but the link was dead.

here's a guitar he made out of the ancient kauri, wood's carbon dated as 5860 years old. It's friggin beautiful, using Duesenberg hardware.

Thats frickin' rad you're uncle is going to make you a camera. Here's a link to a ton of different camera design websites:
http://home.online.no/~gjon/camerabuilders.htm

I reckon a copy of a Tailboard camera might be the right way to go, lots of wood is needed and they look fantastic. Or maybe a copy of a Century No. 2 8x10.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spedman posted:

Actually "just" high-speed paper designed for reversal processing, but I'm chipping in for at least a small pack of 4x5" too. Might go for more later, depending on the chemistry they're promising to post about soon.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

what the gently caress posted:

here's a guitar he made out of the ancient kauri, wood's carbon dated as 5860 years old.

:(

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

nielsm posted:

Actually "just" high-speed paper designed for reversal processing, but I'm chipping in for at least a small pack of 4x5" too. Might go for more later, depending on the chemistry they're promising to post about soon.

They're are designing it to be used with standard reversal processes already out in the market.

The wood is probably pulled out of a swamp and not cut down.
http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/zealand_ancient_swamp_kauri_wood

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Not to worry
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_kauri

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Woah that's really cool!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

i thought the same thing but looked it up before i posted

I've been reading the oldest living things in the world by rachel sussman. Turns out many of the really old trees (everything in the book is 2000 years old+) are partially hollow, a condition that helped spare them the axe when people were logging all of the ancient trees :(. Unfortunately, in 2012 some meth head got into one of the trees via its hollow trunk and set it on fire, perhaps unintentionally, and killed it. It was a 3,500 year old bald cypress just outside of Orlando called "the senator".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Dren posted:

i thought the same thing but looked it up before i posted

I've been reading the oldest living things in the world by rachel sussman. Turns out many of the really old trees (everything in the book is 2000 years old+) are partially hollow, a condition that helped spare them the axe when people were logging all of the ancient trees :(. Unfortunately, in 2012 some meth head got into one of the trees via its hollow trunk and set it on fire, perhaps unintentionally, and killed it. It was a 3,500 year old bald cypress just outside of Orlando called "the senator".

Perhaps we could convince the meth community to start setting actual senators on fire.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

The wood is probably pulled out of a swamp and not cut down.
http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/zealand_ancient_swamp_kauri_wood

I seem to remember watching a documentary about a similar thing with mummified corpses found amazingly preserved in Denmark in a bog http://www.tollundman.dk/

Anyway, without trying to derail... I couldn't find the tailboard plans you were talking about spedman (a lot of the links on that page are dead/outdated/unavailable) but I was chatting to my uncle again today and he said he reckons it will be really easy for him to adapt the 8x10 plans to 11x14, so I bought a copy of Ty Guillory's book off ebay and got it sent to him. Hopefully I'll get the camera before the end of the year :circlefap: I've got a CC Harrison rapid-rectilinear lens that will cover it easily, my fujinon-L 420mm f/8 may also cover it but I'm not sure.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Awesome, that was the design kind of design I was suggesting, as I think it's be pretty straight forward for someone to make who has woodworking skills, but not specifically for camera making. I assume you're wanting the one with bellows? (box cameras are annoyingly heavy).

According to these nerds the 420mm should cover the 11x14:
http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/003bwt?start=10

Are you planning on shooting film/paper/wet-plate with it? What about holders?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah I'm going for the bellows build.
And awesome, that's promising. Covers 11x14 pretty easily. That lens is by far my favourite lens to use on 8x10, awesome I can throw it on a bigger camera.

Going to use the camera for wet plate. I've given up on film for the meantime. I can't justify expenses for it, and I find it a lot slower than wpc. At least at the end of a plate shooting session I have the finished product in my hands... just suits me better. Might sell off all my film gear and get a dslr for happy snapping.

Does that manual come with instructions for making plate holders? I'd imagine it would as it would seem strange to design a camera without an adaptive plate holder...? Or is that stupid thinking?

e: looking at some screenshots of the manual it looks like there are indeed plans for plate holders included (I guess the book is called "making the traditional wet plate camera" after all)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 3, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It'd be great if he does make that holder for you, I'd reckon that'd be the most fiddly bit of the whole build, getting that plate at the focus plane.

Are you going to make the bellows?

I kind of went the other way with WPC, I did love the instant result, but I just couldn't handle the overhead of carting all the stuff around, it doesn't help having a little place where everything has to be packed away each time. This is why I've moved to doing contact printing with paper and film negatives, can do it all pretty easily in a blacked out little bathroom.

I have been looking at doing collodion chloride printing, still uses all the wpc that I've got left over, plus its very high resolution and the most archival printing process of all apparently. Still haven't mixed up the solution up for it yet.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

It'd be great if he does make that holder for you, I'd reckon that'd be the most fiddly bit of the whole build, getting that plate at the focus plane.

Are you going to make the bellows?

I kind of went the other way with WPC, I did love the instant result, but I just couldn't handle the overhead of carting all the stuff around, it doesn't help having a little place where everything has to be packed away each time. This is why I've moved to doing contact printing with paper and film negatives, can do it all pretty easily in a blacked out little bathroom.

I have been looking at doing collodion chloride printing, still uses all the wpc that I've got left over, plus its very high resolution and the most archival printing process of all apparently. Still haven't mixed up the solution up for it yet.

collodion chloride printing.... interesting.... don't think I've even heard of it... I'd imagine it's somewhere in the realm of albumen printing, or silver gelatin? I haven't gotten as far as that. I do have Chris James's new edition of alternative photography book but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet (still backtracking through my wpc manuals)
I was looking to start doing salt printing but then I looked at the process and found very quickly it would be something I'd lose interest in very quickly just for the lengthy process. I at least want to do contacts... Perhaps just cyanotypes, tea toned, or something are more up my alley for simplicity... I have little patience I suppose.... you guys gave some sage advice in that other wet printing thread, i was getting too far ahead of myself.

re: the wpc, I've got it streamlined pretty well actually. All the equipment fits in three plastic containers (you know the storage ones), one cleaning, one chemistry and the other camera gear. These all fit in my van which I've turned into a mobile dark room. When the poo poo is not in my van (I only need to transfer the chemistry tub into my "lab" at home to play/maintain silver/collodion etc) I leave them at the studio. I too was worried it as going to be a logistics nightmare but if you have a vehicle like a van that is a dedicated mobile photo-making unit then it works out ok. It only takes me 5 minutes to get out/set up my table to start making plates when I'm out in the field. It's really nice actually. Probably not too much longer than just setting up a LF camera for normal film shooting. Later down the track if I've got a bit more money (lol) I'd probably like to look into getting one of those large Ford Transit vans that you can stand in and turning that into a darkroom, my Hiace is a little small and I can only really sit/kneel in it when I'm sensitizing and developing, but it's not too bad since you're only in there for a few minutes at a time.

And the bellows, nah, I'll order some bellows from that custombellows.uk site I reckon... better safe than sorry

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 4, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Salt printing looks amazing, but its a ton of work to get a great print, and again I don't really have the time and space to get it right, so I'm sticking to Argyrotype/Cyanotype and regular contact printing, and also trying the CC process. You just need the right paper, but you just flow the collodion on to it (the special version), let it dry and print straight away, and process like any of the other alt printing processes.

I barely have enough room for the minimal amount of gear I have to do wet-plate, and a Corolla isn't going to cut it for a mobile processing unit. I found this guys mobile darkroom project a little while ago, and I have to say it looks pretty tempting to build myself:
http://petapixel.com/2015/07/06/how-i-turned-a-caravan-into-a-mobile-darkroom-for-wet-plate-photos/

Have a look on e-bay for bellows, lots of different camera versions for decent prices out of China.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Thanks for the bellows tip. I was under the impression that chinese bellows were a bit hit-and-miss as far as quality goes...?

Yeah I've been following Paul Alsop for a while now... he's pretty clean. Craig Tuffin also has a caravan he hauls around behind his Ford Transit that he's turned into a camera. He's also doing mercurial daguerreotypes now which are friggin awesome. I saw some d-types at the Queensland gallery for that "Photograph and Australia" exhibition there... so cool in the flesh. Maybe one day way down the track I'd love to give it a go.

Wet printing/alternative processes are so enticing but I just know that I don't have the patience for it... and wpc as it is is already a bit expensive so maybe I'll just stick to ambrotypes for a while and try and get better at it before I start doing glass negatives to print from. I'm pretty happy with ambro's atm and I got a couple of them framed and they look so friggin nice in a frame, even if they aren't the cleanest plates.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 4, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pagoda Street by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I got a bonus at work a little while ago. Rather than do anything even vaguely responsible with it, I found and ordered a 6x7 projector.

As it turns out, 6x7 projectors are really big. This thing weighs close to 40 pounds, and the lens tube looks like it came off a softball launcher.

I have some big slide mounts coming in the mail today. :dance:

• Locked thread