Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

TheJeffers posted:

Any concerns about film economy should probably come second to whether your work will be better served by 6x9 versus 6x7. You're not going to be running and gunning with either of these cameras unless you're rich and crazy, and the difference is exactly two shots per roll, so you may as well ensure the camera lets you compose according to the way you like to see.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The GW690 is usually considered to be the better option, because the lenses are identical. You can always crop from 6x9 down to 6x7 if needed, but you can never get back the extra field-of-view that you cropped away to save a buck per roll on.

Thank you for this input. I will keep this in mind as I make my final purchase decision. Currently leaning more toward the 6x9 now, since I'm a lot more used the 2:3 aspect ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

TheJeffers posted:

Any concerns about film economy should probably come second to whether your work will be better served by 6x9 versus 6x7. You're not going to be running and gunning with either of these cameras unless you're rich and crazy, and the difference is exactly two shots per roll, so you may as well ensure the camera lets you compose according to the way you like to see.

I have a GW690II and a Mamiya 7. For me personally, 6x7 is just a better aspect ratio to deal with when shooting medium format. I have absolutely nothing to back this up but my gut. I think it might be a combination of the resolution and how my eye reads a photograph.

To counter my own lovely opinion, Mark Steinmetz uses 6x9 really well.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

try it with a lime posted:

For me personally, 6x7 is just a better aspect ratio to deal with when shooting medium format. I have absolutely nothing to back this up but my gut. I think it might be a combination of the resolution and how my eye reads a photograph.

I have usually found that the more rectangular aspect ratios like 6x7 to be more pleasing for compositions because 3x2 tends to be too long and invites unnecessary elements into the frame. That said I've seen good photos making good compositional use of 3x2 so it's not impossible, just harder.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I find it easy on 35mm where you can really flatten an image at f/8 or f/11 and use the edges to draw the eye in, whereas it gets a little mushier with medium format if you're shooting handheld and trying to do the same thing. Centre-weighted images generally seem to work better with a narrower depth of field.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm a big fan of 6x9 and especially the GW690, it just fits with how I see an object to photograph. It took me a while to get used to it, but once I did it became a very natural format to shoot with.

And as far as depth of field, I very rarely go more open than f/8 with that camera.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Patrick Joust does some pretty fantastic work with the GW690 if you're looking for references: http://patrickjoust.tumblr.com/

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 10, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

:captainpop:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shot some 18 month old collodion that was mixed for shooting negatives, but I just shot it as a positive and got some okay results. It was super slow, around 0.25 ISO, and I was over developing, leaving silver on the surface

And I also was mucking around with a coffee-can camera. Just get a coffee can, drill a hole in it, tape across the hole and pop a pin-hole in it, and shove some paper in the can. A bit of fun.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Sick

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Goddamn!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is sick.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Both of those

are sick

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
This page should be quarantined. Because the photos are very sick.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

RSV Aurora Australis Bridge by alex gard, on Flickr

Mt. Roland from Sheffield by alex gard, on Flickr

ice by alex gard, on Flickr

Here's one I had an absolute bitch colour-correcting and I still can't get it right. Drives me nuts. The reds are too pink and the blues are too pale, but anything either way and all the other colours get thrown out. If I get the whites where I want them then touching anything else becomes no bueno

AA Monkey Island by alex gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 13, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

Shot some 18 month old collodion that was mixed for shooting negatives, but I just shot it as a positive and got some okay results. It was super slow, around 0.25 ISO, and I was over developing, leaving silver on the surface

And I also was mucking around with a coffee-can camera. Just get a coffee can, drill a hole in it, tape across the hole and pop a pin-hole in it, and shove some paper in the can. A bit of fun.

Was this taking out your new basket darkbox? All of the flaws have worked well with the subject. Surprised the collodion worked at that age..! Good to see you back into shooting plates :)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

what the gently caress posted:

Here's one I had an absolute bitch colour-correcting and I still can't get it right. Drives me nuts. The reds are too pink and the blues are too pale, but anything either way and all the other colours get thrown out. If I get the whites where I want them then touching anything else becomes no bueno

Use photoshop with color correction layers.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

How the gently caress did you pull this off?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AA Monkey Island by alex gard, on Flickr

I took a shot, hope you don't mind:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Pretty much every image posted on this page is very good. Way to go, guys.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Awkward Davies posted:

I took a shot, hope you don't mind:

Yeah that's a little bit better although the reds are still pretty pink. The colour of the ship is more of a predominantly orange-red colour irl. Would the mega intensity of the sunlight make it harder?
What did you do?

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 13, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Pretty much every image posted on this page is very good. Way to go, guys.

let me fix that

Gull. by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yeah that's a little bit better although the reds are still pretty pink. The colour of the ship is more of a predominantly orange-red colour irl. Would the mega intensity of the sunlight make it harder?
What did you do?

Levels, set the highlight points for R, G and B to be correct, and set the white off of one of the flows. I also did the 50% grey fill layer thing, but that gave it kind of a green cast. I didn't gently caress around with it much, only had a few minutes at work.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Portland Meadows by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

4x5 Portra erryday.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Variation on a theme:

I really do adore the way Astia renders blues (and realized just a while ago that the Astia microthread fell to archives, unloved).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Was this taking out your new basket darkbox? All of the flaws have worked well with the subject. Surprised the collodion worked at that age..! Good to see you back into shooting plates :)

No basket darkbox this time, I was using my pseudo darkroom at my parents hobby farm. I had some even older collodion, but you couldn't see through it when you held the bottle to the sun, the stuff that I used was a very deep red, very much on its last legs. Shooting 4x5 plates makes life a lot easier, no need for helper trays or anything, and I've got tons of silver nitrate already mixed up. I think I'll be shooting a lot more of it in the near future.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I honestly found shooting 8x10's much easier than 4x5s. With 4x5s if you miss a little bit with the developer it's really obvious, but on a bigger 8x10 plate if you do miss a bit, for the most part it's negligible and doesn't chew into the main part of the image too much.

I got some helper trays from Lund, as well for both formats and didn't really see any improvement at all. Back to just developing by hand.

I remember reading from the Osterman's that you could put a piece of some kind of metal (can't remember which kind) that would act as a cathode to draw some of the iodides out of the collodion so you could re-use it, but you had no way of telling how many iodides you'd lost or something, Might be worth considering if you had shitloads left you didn't want to turf.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I honestly found shooting 8x10's much easier than 4x5s. With 4x5s if you miss a little bit with the developer it's really obvious, but on a bigger 8x10 plate if you do miss a bit, for the most part it's negligible and doesn't chew into the main part of the image too much.

I got some helper trays from Lund, as well for both formats and didn't really see any improvement at all. Back to just developing by hand.

I remember reading from the Osterman's that you could put a piece of some kind of metal (can't remember which kind) that would act as a cathode to draw some of the iodides out of the collodion so you could re-use it, but you had no way of telling how many iodides you'd lost or something, Might be worth considering if you had shitloads left you didn't want to turf.

Osterman posted recently about fixing red/old collodion with a piece of zinc, just chuck it in and it's good to go again (but the results are not very reliable/repeatable):

I think my technique/hand movements are probably more suited to 4x5, and probably because thats the format I was taught on by Ellie up at Goldstreet Studios. The volumes of all the chemicals are a lot less, which makes it easy to cart around. I've got the camera and plate holder for 8x10 so I'll probably come back to it at some point.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Piazza San Pietro by alkanphel, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I should just give up.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Pukestain Pal posted:

I should just give up.

Same :smith:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

I think my technique/hand movements are probably more suited to 4x5, and probably because thats the format I was taught on by Ellie up at Goldstreet Studios. The volumes of all the chemicals are a lot less, which makes it easy to cart around. I've got the camera and plate holder for 8x10 so I'll probably come back to it at some point.

Sorry yeah that is all very true. Still, I was really surprised at how easy 8x10 was.

If you want some black glass I have heaps of it cut to 4x5 and 8x10 if you want to experiment with that. Just flick me a pm.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Crosspost from the portrait thread, but I suppose this belongs here. 8x10 paper negative, sepia toned print. My love letter to Lady Clementina Hawarden.

Eva at the House by Jason, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
gently caress yeah

• Locked thread