Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

never give up, never surrender

Moriah by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

I think that it is far too green and needs more magenta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I don't know guys, judging by the white blob of a car behind her to the right, the car is white white, no cast on it.
Maybe she's standing in front of a neon sign or something?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I have the V500. I even use it to scan LF, I scan each side then stitch it in Photoshop. It's not perfect, but it was sixty bucks and it gets my pictures online. The V700 isn't worth 5x the price for me right now.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

bobmarleysghost posted:

I don't know guys, judging by the white blob of a car behind her to the right, the car is white white, no cast on it.
Maybe she's standing in front of a neon sign or something?

The caption is 'film, neon & girl' so I'd say you're right.

Hopefully picking up the Mamiya RZ67 on Tuesday. Played with it for a bit today and it's heavy as poo poo but those Sektor lenses are so cool and crazy sharp. Getting the 110mm f/2.8, 180mm f/4.5, and the 65mm L-A f/4 all included with it.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Hopefully picking up the Mamiya RZ67 on Tuesday. Played with it for a bit today and it's heavy as poo poo but those Sektor lenses are so cool and crazy sharp. Getting the 110mm f/2.8, 180mm f/4.5, and the 65mm L-A f/4 all included with it.

That's basically the perfect set of RZ lenses, enjoy.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

vacancy by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

taken on a Mamiya C3 on portra 400, this was a 40s exposure iirc

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

perfect.

also perfect.

Untitled

#photoborder

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I just found out that London Drugs no longer ships out medium and large format film. Does anyone know a good lab left in Canada? Bonus points if something new has popped up in Calgary...

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Demon_Corsair posted:

I just found out that London Drugs no longer ships out medium and large format film. Does anyone know a good lab left in Canada? Bonus points if something new has popped up in Calgary...

I think the camera store will still do it, or at least mail it out. Or take it as a sign you need to start doing your own

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

BANME.sh posted:

I think the camera store will still do it, or at least mail it out. Or take it as a sign you need to start doing your own

I don't think the Camera Store has anything to do with processing film for a few years now. Apparently they have started stocking c-41 (and hopefully e-6) chems. How hard is it to do those at home?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Demon_Corsair posted:

Apparently they have started stocking c-41 (and hopefully e-6) chems. How hard is it to do those at home?

I hope to god that's true. I know of only one other place in Quebec to order E-6 chems in Canada.

C-41 is as easy as B&W to do at home, if not easier. The temp control needs to be a bit more consistent, but there is only one set of timings to memorize unlike B&W. You don't need any fancy equipment either. Just a big pot full of hot water to bring your chems up to temperature, then take it out, and it holds good enough for the ~6 minutes development time when temp is the most critical.

I've never done E-6 at home but I am gonna try it this summer. Doesn't sound any harder than C-41 I think.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

never calibrate

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Question for the Portland crew: Do you use a light meter on those neon lights or are you just working off intuition/experience?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thoogsby posted:

Question for the Portland crew: Do you use a light meter on those neon lights or are you just working off intuition/experience?

Never on the lights themselves. The idea is to get the rest of the scene exposed correctly, and the long shoulder of Portra's response curve usually handles the neon just fine without letting it blow out completely.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Not Portland crew, but it's hard to gently caress up Portra, even at night.

All you need to memorize is one 'correct' exposure setting for what you'd consider your standard night shot and then just add or drop stops to fit your situation. Add some extra time to compensate for the reciprocity failure and you're good to go. You might feel financially obligated to meter really carefully for large format but freewheeling it has worked out on numerous rolls of 120 Portra for me.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

try it with a lime posted:

Add some extra time to compensate for the reciprocity failure and you're good to go.

On that note -

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Check out the ultimate exposure computer.

My basic starting point is f16 @ 4s with Portra 400 then use gut feeling for + or - stops based on the scene.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

try it with a lime posted:

Not Portland crew, but it's hard to gently caress up Portra, even at night.

All you need to memorize is one 'correct' exposure setting for what you'd consider your standard night shot and then just add or drop stops to fit your situation. Add some extra time to compensate for the reciprocity failure and you're good to go. You might feel financially obligated to meter really carefully for large format but freewheeling it has worked out on numerous rolls of 120 Portra for me.

I wish I could apply this to shooting slides *sob sob*

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

What's your gripe with the V500? I didn't have any issues until I needed to scan 4x5.

Only scans two strips of 135 film at the time and only one 6x7 frame on 120 film, so it takes forever to scan. And the scans are everything but sharp, but I might have gotten a bad unit since I think the scans I see online from other users looks much sharper (might also be because of my lovely photography skills and overuse of coffe.)

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
So I got a new camera:

I only got it because the guy selling was in a hurry to sell so sold it for about $200 less than it is worth...
After a few test rolls everything seems to work perfectly but I'm not sure it's much of an upgrade over the Yashica Mat 124G except for the brand name. It sure looks pretty though.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

MadlabsRobot posted:

Only scans two strips of 135 film at the time and only one 6x7 frame on 120 film, so it takes forever to scan. And the scans are everything but sharp, but I might have gotten a bad unit since I think the scans I see online from other users looks much sharper (might also be because of my lovely photography skills and overuse of coffe.)

I have a V500 and haven't had issues with sharpness, though I understand that the QC on focal plane isn't great so you may have a bad unit. Also, highest effective resolution is about 2400dpi, I find sticking to that makes things go disproportionately faster.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MadlabsRobot posted:

If you can only scan one 6x7 frame at a time you're loading it wrong. If it's not sharp (even compared to the V700), it's either curled film or your holder not being at the right height - just shim it upwards with sheets of printer paper until it looks better. Unless someone's shooting 4x5 or really, really blowing through rolls on a 6x7 (which should fit 2 frames) I'd recommend a V500 over a larger model.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

it's money out here

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

deaders posted:

So I got a new camera:

I only got it because the guy selling was in a hurry to sell so sold it for about $200 less than it is worth...
After a few test rolls everything seems to work perfectly but I'm not sure it's much of an upgrade over the Yashica Mat 124G except for the brand name. It sure looks pretty though.

Nice find if you got it for $200 cheaper! These are getting popularized due to Vivian Maier and their price went up beyond what I think is reasonable for these cameras.
If it really is a Rolleiflex T, then yeah, I wouldn't see it as much of an upgrade either. I found the Tessar/Xenar lenses in them to be credible performers but there are Japanese TLRs with better Tessar copies. And of course the Rolleiflex Planar/Xenotar models.

The T was the budget minded model sitting between the 2.8/3.5 Automats and the Rolleicords.
It uses rubber or leather belts to move the aperture and shutter speeds, these apparently routinely slip or break. Something to look out for.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

VomitOnLino posted:

Nice find if you got it for $200 cheaper! These are getting popularized due to Vivian Maier and their price went up beyond what I think is reasonable for these cameras.
If it really is a Rolleiflex T, then yeah, I wouldn't see it as much of an upgrade either. I found the Tessar/Xenar lenses in them to be credible performers but there are Japanese TLRs with better Tessar copies. And of course the Rolleiflex Planar/Xenotar models.

It's a shame because I think they're one of the sexiest cameras but its getting hard to find them in decent shape due to their non-modular construction. Ebay shops seem to snap up a lot of the available stock, "CLA", and relist for exorbitant sums. Harry Fleenor even said its not worth it trying to replace the lenses if anything goes south. I spent $1200 twice and ended up with lenses with fungus both times. The Tessar is perfectly fine if you shoot Portra stopped down a little bit as you're pretty much hitting the resolution limits of the film at that point.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Helicity posted:

It's a shame because I think they're one of the sexiest cameras but its getting hard to find them in decent shape due to their non-modular construction. Ebay shops seem to snap up a lot of the available stock, "CLA", and relist for exorbitant sums. Harry Fleenor even said its not worth it trying to replace the lenses if anything goes south. I spent $1200 twice and ended up with lenses with fungus both times. The Tessar is perfectly fine if you shoot Portra stopped down a little bit as you're pretty much hitting the resolution limits of the film at that point.

i shoot with a fungus lens on purpose sometimes :mrgw:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Is there an easier way than trial and error to figure out which processing shops around me are good and which are poo poo? I don't really trust Yelp for stuff like this.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a package has arrived!

:woop:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Awesome! Looks like you got the F1 version.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Awesome! Looks like you got the F1 version.

the N2s are about 4 months away from being shippable :( they need to make more

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mido posted:

the N2s are about 4 months away from being shippable :( they need to make more

So, what lenses are going on yours?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alkanphel posted:

So, what lenses are going on yours?

i'm buying MrBlandAverage's 150mm nikkor w f/5.6 :doh:

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 28, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mido posted:

i'm buying MrBlandAverage's 150mm nikkor sw f/5.6

Ah good lens, I just shot with it on my last outing.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mido posted:

i'm buying MrBlandAverage's 150mm nikkor w f/5.6

fixed!!

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

If you can only scan one 6x7 frame at a time you're loading it wrong. If it's not sharp (even compared to the V700), it's either curled film or your holder not being at the right height - just shim it upwards with sheets of printer paper until it looks better. Unless someone's shooting 4x5 or really, really blowing through rolls on a 6x7 (which should fit 2 frames) I'd recommend a V500 over a larger model.

I'm not near the scanner now so I can't really check but I seem to remember only fitting about one and a half 6x7 frame in the holder. Might be confusing it with the fact that I the lab cuts the film in strips with three frames each.
The sharpness don't increase if I shim up but might actually increase a bit when I put the negs directly on the scanner glass. So maybe I just got a bad one.

But yeah, the V500 is really cheap in photography bux and I have not yet been bothered enough to upgrade so it's obviously still good enough.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Thoogsby posted:

it's money out here

Oh man, I've been drooling over buying one of these for years, ever since renting one. Well done.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

MadlabsRobot posted:

I'm not near the scanner now so I can't really check but I seem to remember only fitting about one and a half 6x7 frame in the holder. Might be confusing it with the fact that I the lab cuts the film in strips with three frames each.
The sharpness don't increase if I shim up but might actually increase a bit when I put the negs directly on the scanner glass. So maybe I just got a bad one.

But yeah, the V500 is really cheap in photography bux and I have not yet been bothered enough to upgrade so it's obviously still good enough.

I think I have a v500, can't double check at work but when the film advance in my camera works right I can scan three frames at a time in the holder. Unfortunately mines screwed up so usually I only get two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

:nws: i guess?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57894797@N00/18245927931/in/dateposted-public/

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 29, 2015

• Locked thread