Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
My friend to moving to LA and is offering his Hasselblad 500 to me for next to nothing. I've never shot a roll of film in my life, how hosed am I going to be from a technical standpoint if MF is my entry point into film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

hi liter posted:

Otherwise - How many of you have your own darkrooms? Or do you pay to have your film developed?

Also interested in this. For those of you with home setups how cost prohibitive is it compared to having it done by someone else?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Just out of curiosity is there much of a functional difference between the Hasselblad 500C vs. 500CM? Just from googling it looks like the CM is newer thus more easily repairable?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone have thoughts on the Hasselblad 500CM vs. the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II? My friend offered to sell the Mamiya instead of the Hasselblad. I've kind of always wanted a Hasselblad but he's got 3 lenses, WL finder, and 2 backs for the Mamiya he's throwing in.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What do you guys use for scanners? It seems like from poking around on Flickr the Epson V series are pretty common.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thanks for the input. I think I'll end up going with the V800 since it seems to be the current version of the V700.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

I don't know guys, judging by the white blob of a car behind her to the right, the car is white white, no cast on it.
Maybe she's standing in front of a neon sign or something?

The caption is 'film, neon & girl' so I'd say you're right.

Hopefully picking up the Mamiya RZ67 on Tuesday. Played with it for a bit today and it's heavy as poo poo but those Sektor lenses are so cool and crazy sharp. Getting the 110mm f/2.8, 180mm f/4.5, and the 65mm L-A f/4 all included with it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Question for the Portland crew: Do you use a light meter on those neon lights or are you just working off intuition/experience?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

it's money out here

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Is there an easier way than trial and error to figure out which processing shops around me are good and which are poo poo? I don't really trust Yelp for stuff like this.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What do ya'll use for light meters? I don't want to be the dude who uses his DSLR to take a reading.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Digisix looks like a solid option. I don't understand Sekonic's product lines at all. Prices and model numbers all over the map.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

this is rad

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Been having problems with my rz67 recognizing the film back. It's happened twice. Today I got about 6 shots into a roll and was waiting for some clouds to move to take another shot. I went to fire the shutter and got the orange LED in the viewfinder signaling I had no film. I tried with a different back and same thing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Been having problems with my rz67 recognizing the film back. It's happened twice. Today I got about 6 shots into a roll and was waiting for some clouds to move to take another shot. I went to fire the shutter and got the orange LED in the viewfinder signaling I had no film. I tried with a different back and same thing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Figured I'd try bumping this once. I think I'll try to get my hands on a back that's in better shape and see if the problem persists.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

TheJeffers posted:

I can't offer any insight as to why your problem is happening, but make sure that you buy an RZ67 Pro II back if you get another one. They're newer and they use a foam-free light trap system.

Thanks for the tip. The backs I'm using are the Pro 1 and they're both absolutely beaten to poo poo so I'm hoping that's it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

So awesome.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

My experience with KEH is that they're ultra-conservative with their ratings. What's considered bargain at KEH would be barely used or excellent at other used shops.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What's conventional wisdom on setting up your scans to not be dusty/lovely/bad in terms of actually placing them in your scanner? I have access to an Epson V800 but the room it's in is a dusty pile of crap.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I have the Epson film holders that came with it. Do you use a compressed air duster or one of those rocket blowers?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I bought a pistol grip for my rz67 and now I have a gun that shoots portra 400

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Got my first rolls back. I think the colors are fine but this is my third scan attempt and it still looks soft to me.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 12, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

those colors :swoon:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

x-post from the street thread

img027 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Genderfluid posted:

starting to scan 50 rolls from a month long trip to japan/korea

Ben, Akihabara by Cameron Mattis, on Flickr

That's a lot of flickr tags.

Also nice photo.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

img111 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

img108 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

For portraits / headshots I've been getting like 6 out of 10 per roll. For landscape stuff it's more like 2/10.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone have experience with ND filters on the Mamiya Sekor lenses? The results from these lenses are insane so I'm hesitant to stick something on the end of them but I'd also like to be able to shoot at f2.8 during the day.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

img209 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

img200 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

img397 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

You're gonna get tired of that ball head pretty quick

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I absolutely hated mine but maybe that has more to do with the weight distribution on the RZ than the head itself.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Patrick Joust does some pretty fantastic work with the GW690 if you're looking for references: http://patrickjoust.tumblr.com/

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

This page should be quarantined. Because the photos are very sick.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Holy poo poo.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Big News: My rz67 has decided it likes me enough to let me shoot it with the darkslide in!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

akadajet posted:

lol. Better than it not unlocking when darkslide is pulled out.

That's true I shouldn't complain.

keyboard vomit posted:

I bought a Koni Omega

Porta4160 by Brett Schlough, on Flickr

I like it.

Check your white balance, you've got a lot of green in there.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I really like these fwiw.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Is there any way to tell someone's posted your photo on Flickr to tumblr? I don't know how computers work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

The 65mm lens with the floating element will only fire in mechanical mode (locked 1/400 shutter) on my RZ67 when I have the left-hand grip shutter release plugged into the body. Does this make any sense or is it just weird cameras being weird?

• Locked thread