Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My reason for getting into MF was sentimental.

Ensign Pocket 3 by Execudork, on Flickr
This was my grandfather's camera. From its age and condition when I dug it out of a box nearly 10 years after his death, I think it was used during the late 1950's and early 1960's. I have no memory of him using it, when I knew him he had a series of ordinary point-and-shoot 35mm cameras, and I don't think he was particularly avid about photography. In any case, it uses regular 120 roll film, which back in the day also went by the name "2 1/4 B", the film equivalent of British Imperial units of measure (does anybody else in the world still talk about a person's weight in "stones"?) and takes 6x9 images.

It's objectively a terrible camera - the simple lens is anything but sharp, the apertures are "S", "M", and "L", which by direct measurement with a ruler I've worked out to be f/16, f/20, and f/22, focus can be set between "portraits" and "views" by moving the lens forward or back between the two notches, and the shutter speeds of "I", "B", and "T" make for easy long-exposures, but at 1/25th (approx) as the fastest ("I" for "Instant!") it's basically impossible to hand-hold.

But, if the most important feature of a camera is that it is the one you are currently carrying, the second most important feature must be the reason you picked it up on your way out of the house. For me and this camera, that reason is pure sentiment, it even smells like their basement, and reminds me of being 14 years old and poking around the back workbench.

I'd like to get a *good* camera for MF or LF. There are so many options, and each has its appeal. Being able to do movements, and tilt/shift any lens is a big draw for a monorail or one of those beautiful Chamonix. Or the cheap fun of a TLR with waist-level viewfinder. Or a big honkin' 645, 6x6, or 6x7 camera - if I get asked to shoot a party because of my camera, having a wooden grip on it adds some legitimacy, I think.

From what other people have been saying, it looks like one could get pretty comfortably into MF (body, a lens or two, some accessories and maybe some developing stuff) for $300-500, which doesn't seem too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Slightly off-topic (still about film, but 35mm) - Primo Itch, nobody in South America has said they want to participate in my Camera Around the World goon-project. If you're interested, the thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499036

There's no chance the camera will go in that direction until well after you return from your European adventure (and I'm calling it now: you MUST post pictures from your trip in the Dorkroom, somewhere - that's the price of advice around these parts :colbert: ) and you can always change your mind. But pictures from Brazil would be rockin' :getin:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Primo Itch posted:

You mean the "Camera-around-the-northwest-USA" project? :haw: Yeah, i'd definitely do it, but there's always to consider the fact that any kind of reasonably priced shipping is going to take a lot of time to and from here, so if I were to join in it would take around 2 to 3 months (4-6 weeks shipping time each way) for just my participation...
Hey, it spent 3 months in one city - at least if it was stuck in a container on a guano freighter off the coast of Venezuela we could blame nameless, faceless, shadowy international figures instead of you! Everyone wins! Seriously, I said in the OP of that thread that I'm advocating "International Economy" as a shipping method, which is (in my opinion) about one step up from slapping a label on it and tossing it in the sea.

Jellyko, because of you and your excellent post, I now really want a Konica Rapid-Omega. Konica is like the forgotten uncle of the camera world, nobody remembers them for what they did in the 1970's and 80's, which was make some pretty cool cameras and lenses. I've been pondering an interchangeable-lens rangefinder, now I think I've settled on what I want. Thanks!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This is why you should shoot LF
http://www.petapixel.com/2013/02/08/david-burnetts-speed-graphic-photos-of-the-london-2012-olympics/

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

Well my offer was accepted on an MPP field camera with 184mm lens. I didn't want to say which one I was putting an offer on, lest some Goon snatch it away! :argh:
I should be able to try it out in the studio next week.
184mm seems like a really odd focal length. Is this camera old enough that non-metric units were used when it was originally designed? A quick calculation suggests 7 1/4 inches = 184mm.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

Karen by McMadCow, on Flickr

Cyanotype print of a paper negative I shot outside.

I... uh... wha... huh?
It looks like it was run through a mimeograph on paper towel.

I like it, but it's got to be the weirdest photo I've ever seen by virtue of that texture.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
4x5 sheet film is really expensive, right? I'm browsing for cleared-out-my-attic film lots on eBay, and I came across this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kodak-Panato...=item5aef107bb5

For posterity, a crappy screen-grab:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

joelcamefalling posted:

I only had 5 rolls waiting, and that was about the right amount before I got sick of it and stopped. I need a bigger tank.
This was exactly my experience - it's good fun, but gets pretty tedious by the third or fourth time you're pouring in developer.

joelcamefalling posted:

The Tetenal kit I was using said the mixed chems have a shelf life of 4 weeks, but according to a couple of threads on Flickr, they will easily last a couple of months - and some guy on APUG was still using the same soup after a year and a half.
Most people seem to get ~20 rolls out of it before it starts going downhill, which would be pretty awesome.
Interesting. I've got a Tetenal E-6 kit that I've been saving up rolls before I use; I'm up to either 11 or 12, and I was planning on using it on 12 - that's what the box says.
When I used my (not Tetenal) C-41 kit, none of the rolls showed any signs of used-up chemicals, so I guess I could have squeezed out a few more - I did 12 rolls (mix of 135 and 120) for a kit that said 8, or +50% if you use the chemicals quickly after opening. I did all 12 rolls over one weekend, which was really enough work for a weekend - probably around 8 or 10 hours total spread over two days.

I guess all this means it's time to buy some 120 slide film!

EDIT: eBay makes spending money way too easy. Velvia 50 on its way.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 12, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

FACKER posted:

I was recently given a super old camera. The inside of the back cover says this is the camera Ansco V.P. Speedex No. 3 http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ansco/ansco_speedex_3_3a/ansco_speedex_3_3a.htm I cannot find much other information on it at all. I believe I am missing the shutter release cord. Does anyone know anything about this camera or a similar model? Is it worth trying to use?

More images here: http://imgur.com/a/aNxOS

FACKER posted:

From what my naked, untrained eye can tell, it looks like the only light leak is through the lens itself. Not to mention the lens is pretty cloudy and very speckled (probably mold?). Also the lens is very hard to move along the rail, making focusing pretty difficult. Seems like its better suited as a decoration for now.

Ensign Pocket 3 by Execudork, on Flickr
First, your folder looks remarkably similar to mine. Objectively, mine is a terrible camera, but the nostalgia associated with it (it belonged to my grandfather) means I love to pull it out and fire off a few frames when I can. Other people will point their cameras at you if you do this, it's a good conversation starter.

Second, the best way to check for light leaks I know of for a folder is to either a) open the back and hold it up to a bright light source, like the sun. Look for pinpricks of light from tiny holes in the bellows. Or b) in a dark room, hold a bright flashlight inside the bellows.

Third, yup, 120 film. Get some and shoot it, don't just have it sit on some shelf.

VomitOnLino posted:

Bellows pinholes are usually absolutely tiny and do not show up to the naked eye.
As an anecdote; even with a strong LED flashlight in a darkened room I couldn't find all the pinholes on my Mamiya 6 folder. I found and fixed a couple, but ... there's still some more (I think two) that show up very visibly on film if the light strikes the bellows right.

At least your triplet is uncoated.
And due to its triplet nature also lacking in cemented elements, making it fairly easy to clean compared to other lenses. A mix of ammonia, hydrogen peroxide and water usually gets all the fungus and fog off for me just fine. If you dilute it a bit it also left alone all the coatings I tried it on.
I haven't had any pinhole leak problems with mine, but obviously yours could be different. I like the idea of giving the lens a good cleaning.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VomitOnLino posted:

An abandoned hotel, on a neigh-empty island. Built during the construction boom of the 80ies, deserted before it ever opened to the first customer.

Spooky and awesome. Where (roughly) in the world is that island?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Over in the buy/sell thread I've got my Kiev 60 (may or may not have frame spacing issue, with a Volna 80mm and the 30mm fisheye) for sale at my lowest possible price of $200. Somebody take this off my hands! (Or I'll otherwise either get it sent to me here to tinker with, or just chuck it into the 'bay.)
Done. Send me an email or a PM.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Apologies that my first post in a year is just to brag but I am flipping out and wanted to tell someone who realises that this is actually a rad thing: just won a photo competition run by the Swedish embassy in Tokyo and Hasselblad, the prize is a free trip to Sweden and a tour of the Hasselblad factory. Real Roald Dahl moment.

Awesome! Congratulations!

It better not be a year before we see pictures from said trip & tour.

Also, can you show us the winning photo? Or a link to a gallery of the enrants?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I thought my idea a kinda unique one with slightly over the top execution
I see what you did there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Large format demands commitment!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sludge Tank posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for looking after a camera that is/has been out in seaspray?? I was just out on deck taking some photos of the gnarly weather we're heading into and my MF copped a tiny bit of spray, not much, and the filter got most of it, but to be really anal, is there some process I can go through to make sure my camera is free of any lingering particles of salt, or a cleaning product/method I can use?

I'm pretty sure it's ok, but for future reference would be good to know..
Seawater, as I'm sure you know, is nasty. Rinse it off with fresh water, then wipe off the fresh water. If your camera gets submerged or heavily splashed, immerse it in fresh water (do I need to tell anyone DO NOT TURN IT ON?), and seek professional help.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sludge Tank posted:

cross post from landscapes.

welp, this has pretty much set me solid. not paying to get any more rolls done until I get my own chemicals. this cost way too much to get done. some other shots but these were most of the keepers. also really disliking converging verticals etc which makes me all the more keen to get my LF up and running, still pleased with some of the results and definitely want to use my 10 stop a whole lot more.

mostly portra 160, ektar 100, foma 100 and t-max

if anyone wants to follow me on tumblr: http://alexgard.com
Whatever you paid, it wasn't enough. Fantastic shots.

EDIT: I just discovered that windmill shot was in Tasmania. One year ago today I landed in Hobart for a 4-month working visit. I'm feeling a little nostalgic - where in Tassie was that?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 25, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sludge Tank posted:

yeah revolucion (good mate of mine) told me you guys met up?
These guys didn't do as good a job on the film as the other mob I used.

The windmill was up in Wesley Vale, NW coast. It's a power plant for a big cut-flower nursery. I've moved back down to Tassie and hope to do a some tramping.

What were you doing in Tassie? Anything for the CSIRO/AAD by any chance? I see you spend a lot of time in the ice.

We're drifting off-topic for this thread, but yeah revolucion and I had some good times while I was in Hobart. We met up originally so he could get free shipping for the print exchange (incidentally, today is the last day to sign up for the current incarnation), later we went into the Hobart Rivulet - if you're friends with him and he hasn't shown you the fish in the concrete creek yet, bug him until he does.

I was in Tassie for CSIRO, with a side of AAD. I'll send you a PM to avoid extending this derail.

On-topic - I picked up some developer and fix because I seem to have lost what I had in my last move. Anyway, it was pretty depressing, my local professional photo shop had moved their chemicals into the back room (the rack where they used to sit is now full of Holga hipster-fest offerings) and the guy I talked to had no idea because he's never actually done anything with film. I managed to refer to this place accidentally - "Nah, I don't have a dorkroom at home, I mean darkroom, heh... uh, yeah, I just use a dark bag and I spend too much time on the internet". The selection of chemicals was pretty limited, I ended up with a bottle of Kodak T-Max developer which I'd never heard of but the Massive Dev Chart lists it; seems like most of my times will be on the longer side, I've got some Across in 120 format to do, and because I'll stretch that developer as much as I can I'm looking at 10 minute times. Not too bad, but there are a few others, glancing at the chart, that are up around 14-15 minutes. I can't really complain, some of my film has been sitting in my freezer, exposed, for more than a year.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

:argh: Leaving out the best: 6x9 diagonal: 10.8mm
108mm, or a "crop factor" of 0.40

And while we're messing up unit conversions:
- 4x5: 116.4mm diagonal, C.F. 0.38
- 8x10: 325.3mm, C.F. 0.133

Huh, I think it's interesting that 4x5 (Iron Age "inches" or "thumbs" or "hemi-cubits" or whateverthefuck) is so similar to 6x9 cm.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I must have punched buttons on my calculator wrong :downs:

Now I get 162.6mm

Square root of (4x4 + 5x5) = 6.4 inches x 25.4 mm/inch = 162.6.

43.3 / 162.6 = 0.266, or a 4x5 negative is about 3.76 times larger than a 35mm negative.

Like I said, screwing up unit conversions!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

NERDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I accept the charge. As long as everyone else does, too.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

There needs to be some kind of breathylizer attached to my computer so I can't log into Keh when I've had several beers.

ZippySLC posted:

I can hardly avoid just throwing the CC down on the KEH site when I'm sober. I could hardly imagine it when I've had a few beers.

gently caress that, I want the opposite - something that means I can ONLY spend money on photostuff when I'm plastered.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

eggsovereasy posted:

Unless I'm working on a tripod I gently caress up leveling all the time and have to rotate crop everything. I am not a good photographer.
I gently caress it up even on a tripod, with a bubble level in the hotshoe. Oh well.

I love this. Very much.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

voodoorootbeer posted:

Definitely some sort of cocoon or egg case inside.

Yes. Buy this immediately. Then start a thread about all of the spiders.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Primo Itch posted:

STOP IT! I've just moved and can't shouldn't buy it, please stop!
Several months ago another medium-format SLR system was up for a price that had dropped considerably over the preceeding few weeks. I bought it. NO REGRETS!!

Buy that loving P6x7, shoot big-rear end negs all day long.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Can you ballpark it on a scale of 1 to Sludge Tank?
Sludge Tank sails to Antarctica with his LF gear. Ezekiel_980, has your father ever said "I'm just going out and I may be some time"? :ohdear:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hey man, everyone learns from their mistakes. I usually require making the same mistake twice before it "sticks". Which might explain why I have so many crappy cameras...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Zippy, was that the Lomo red-whatever film you were talking about earlier? I shot some 35mm redbird a couple of years ago and despite the package saying "shoot at iso 500" (and me doing exactly that in a camera with a meter that's never let me down before or since), everything was badly underexposed. Like, 4-stops underexposed.

There's just no good quality control in Lomo / Rollei / Creepy-basement-guy film, it seems.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Be different - get an old FSU folder, like a Moskva of some form - folder, rangefinder, sketchy Belorusian eBay sellers, what more could you ask for?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrBlandAverage posted:

oh man I just love lens alignment issues!!!

Even better when they're Soviet alignment issues! :ussr:

No comrade, nothing is wrong with the camera. It is YOUR alignment that is suspect.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Very badly. Why the gently caress were you buying stuff on KEH without drinking? Sober, you're just buying a thing you know you want on the internet from a store with a good reputation.

Boring.

Drunk, you're riding the wild edge of a wave of irresponsible and regretable behaviour!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm gonna be in Tazz and am gonna have summers off,

HOW?!? You must tell me how you have arranged this fantasy of a state of affairs for yourself! I spent ONE summer in Tassie, not "off" (I was basically working a normal-ish 9-5) and I would happily spend the rest of my life there. Goddam.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Forgive me MF/LF thread, for I have sinned. It has been ages and ages and ages since I last splashed developer onto film, but last night I finally got around to developing the roll I ran through the Kiev 60 I bought from Pompous Rhombous more than a year ago. It had a suspected frame-spacing issue, which has been upgraded to a "confirmed" frame-spacing issue. Fortunately it's not severe, just a few millimetres on each side.

The lenses out-resolve my scanner, a massive change from my other MF camera, an ancient simple-lens folder.
Kiev 60 Test Roll by Execudork, on Flickr
Kiev 60 Test Roll-3 by Execudork, on Flickr
Kiev 60 Test Roll-6 by Execudork, on Flickr

Now I need to figure out the light meter, deal with exposure, and tackle composition. You know, the advanced stuff, beyond "Point at Catte". Then I can load it with Yond Cassius' Astia and go to town. Well, that and deal with the awful, awful dust and crud issues.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

big scary monsters posted:

I'm a little scared to shoot my Astia because I get frame spacing issues on my Pentacon Six too. Apparently it's pretty common and mostly down to poor loading technique but I can't seem to get it consistently right; about half the time I have no problems and the rest I get 10mm or so overlap on my frames.
On the other hand, I believe Yond Cassius' intent (please correct me if I'm wrong on this, YC) was for *interesting* film to be returned to him. Obviously subject matter / composition / quality of photograph is high priority here, but I think "shot through an odd camera" also contributes to "interesting". 10mm seems like a lot, though. I think I'm just going to go into it with the intention of taking one good photo (personal definition of "good" applies) on the roll, with 12 or 13 frames a reasonable estimate for how many shots I'll get. Then YC can have that one good one and whatever is next to it (on either or both sides?).

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I was able to fix the frame spacing issue on the K60 I had relatively easily using this handy page: http://kievaholic.com/kiev60kalibration.html
This looks very good, thanks! Would the light meter in my DSLR work for that calibration? What shutter speed tester is goon-recommended?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Tragic twist in my saga of Yond Cassius' Astia project. My Kiev 60 jammed on frame 5. The film advance lever goes no further than about 1/4 of the distance it's supposed to go, the shutter cannot be cocked, and the film cannot be moved on the rolls - normally the uptake roll can be ratcheted forward but this action is also jammed.

If I can't figure this out, I'll move the film to my ancient 6x9 folder, so it's not (yet) a total loss. Has anyone had a similar problem in either a Kiev 60 or the Pentacon Six it's based on?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VomitOnLino posted:

That is an awesome print and I want one, too!

I organized (semi-competently) the print exchange last year. Nobody has made any noise at all about another print exchange yet, and it sounds like you've got the necessary motivation (want a specific photo from a specific Dorkroom goon) to pull it together.

Let me know when you post the thread, TIA.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

I'm going to be shooting it in a working Kodak Vest Pocket camera that I picked up at a secondhand store sporting a clean Rapid Rectilinear lens and functioning ball baring shutter. Not bad for 100+ years old. Once I shoot the 3 rolls of 127 I picked up, I'll just use the backing paper and reels to feed 35mm film into it and shoot some sprockets.
This is excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing the results from this. Also, I should try to shoot some 35mm sprockets on my old (not as old as yours) folder.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

polyfractal posted:

Ah, well that's disappointing. Thanks for the tips, guess I'll pass on these (will take a look at that Fuji though). I have a Yashica Mat 124 and love it...was just hoping for something a bit slimmer that I can slide into a small day pack. And the 6x9 format is enticing if I want to take it hiking and do semi-panoramic landscapes.

Counterpoint: give up on such bourgeoise concepts as "focus" and "sharpness" and get an old folder. They're great fun.

Also, a quick google tells me B&H is currently out of stock of the Fuji GF670, but when they get more in they sell for $1750. A Moskva 5 is like $100 on eBay.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

polyfractal posted:

Yep, so I took this advice. Decided on a Voigtlander Perkeo II, since it seemed to have pretty good optics and shutter, as well as being ridicuslously small (which will make it nicely pocketable for work travel).
I took it out this weekend and shot a few rolls. Finished developing and scanning the first one last night, it makes some nice photos! I
I love everything about this, even your scanning and post-processing. Awesome!

Helicity posted:

How do people here take notes on location, time, and exposure settings for your film when out in the field?
When I'm on the ball, a pencil and a rite-in-the-rain notebook, and I put the camera down between shots so I can write down all the things. Ideally BEFORE I shoot, so I can write down the settings actually used.
I'm never on the ball, though (other than that one time), so I'll scribble some half-assed notes in a non-waterproof notebook, or on the back of a receipt, then lose the paper before I get around developing the film. :downs:
Sometimes I'll put a few notes into my phone, but not often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hail Satan!

• Locked thread