Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Hasselblad: The choice of discerning dentists artists everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I want to get this in on the first page of the new thread as well:

If you're thinking about making the jump to medium format, the initial investment can be unsettling to say the least. Especially when you do a little too much reading on messageboards, where people are liable to say that anything less than a 501c and a Nikon 9000 might as well be trash.
Luckily, that is complete balderdash; it is perfectly possible to enjoy the benefits of a big fat 6x6 negative for less than the cost of a new car.

I started out in MF with a Holga (Not for long), and it hooked me on film in general, though I didn't use the holga for long before switching to 35mm. The first 'real' medium format camera I bought, however, was a $25 Yashica-D. I used and loved that dinky little f/3.5 TLR for almost 4 years before I dropped and broke it, and I think that even after going through a Kiev-60, a Pentax 6x7, and now my 500c, many of my favorite MF images were made with the $25 tlr.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Genderfluid posted:

Developed my 8 sheets of 8x10 xray film. It's really awesome, I can't see myself spending money on normal black and white film for 8x10 after this. A bit contrasty, but nothing too crazy. I'll post scans from some of the negatives tomorrow when I get around to firing up the v750. I loving hate Epson scan

Then why not use Vuescan?

Very curious to see your results. Is the film limited to a smaller range of wavelengths than normal b/w film? I vaguely recall some discussion of xray film on LFF as being restricted to green and blue sensitivity according to which film they used.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Depending on how selling my car works out, I'm thinking about picking up one of those Fuji 6x9 rangefinders to use as a landscape camera for when I'm out on my motorcycle. I saw an older one at a shop for ~$200. Can anyone talk me out of it?

For $200, as long as it isn't broken that's a must buy, imo.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That's really cool, keep doing that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's ok, no one could afford a new one anyway, and the old ones will work forever.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Genderfluid posted:

I'm not sure which meter you're referring to but the metering prism i have for my 6x7 shuts off automatically after like 30 seconds

The older ones don't have an auto-off, I had mine drain on me a few times, ended up just taking the battery out when I wasn't using it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If you want to join the cool kids club, my Hasselblad is now for sale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=158&perpage=40#post418590402
:o

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I am beyond mad and am simply refusing to believe that exists.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
As long as it works, that is an excellent camera, and not a bad price.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You get to go where magic is made...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I think the second one is pretty cool. Not a fan of including film borders in images though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

Is there a reason why the Dorkroom seems to be the only place that champions Fuji MF rangefinders? They really are fantastic workhorses, I haven't even thought about touching my Kowa Six since I got my GW690II.

It's not. I remember people on RFF loving them when I posted there.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, congrats, you've definitely got a very coherent and appealing style that I would love to see on the wall.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Helicity posted:

I'm shooting MF for literally one shot at the moment. If I get it, it's getting printed, framed, and mounted in my living room. I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred $$ for scanning/printing it at that point. Everything else is pretty much practice for that shot at the moment.

Then yes, pay for an archival wet-mounted drum scan on the best machine with the best operator (more important than machine) you can find.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

The Clit Avoider posted:

Fairly nice, albeit there was a bit of a green cast (easily removed on scanning/in photoshop). F

It's still there, yo, heavily.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Went to Santa Monica for the weekend, need to send the E-6 off, but I did the one roll of b/w I shot and I still love Acros.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, you can check the vent and the blown highlight in the window for white balance (it's a bit magenta), but I might not change it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

3/5 of a 6x6 frame

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

deaders posted:

There's a joke about a 6x6 frame within that 6x6 frame somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sn_g7aWGoU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I was able to fix the frame spacing issue on the K60 I had relatively easily using this handy page: http://kievaholic.com/kiev60kalibration.html

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Annika by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

I just can't stop shooting in this beautiful snow!

Fire

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
There's magenta in all your photos.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Very nice colours, but there's some weird marks on the sky to the right

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That's really nice, but I have a strong urge to clean up the background and get rid of the white portion on the right.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pukestain Pal posted:

Just because I don't really know anything about large format, is there a good place to do some reading/youtubing up on it? What's the goon certified starter pack?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Helicity posted:

I got sick of trying to find a Rolleiflex or Hasselblad that didn't have mechanical issues, haze, or fungus, and part of that is just really bad luck, so I bit the bullet on some large format gear.

Someone didn't check the B/S/T thread. >:(

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Thoogsby posted:

My friend to moving to LA and is offering his Hasselblad 500 to me for next to nothing. I've never shot a roll of film in my life, how hosed am I going to be from a technical standpoint if MF is my entry point into film?

Well you'd be getting into it with one of the best cameras of all time, so not at all hosed?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Thoogsby posted:

Just out of curiosity is there much of a functional difference between the Hasselblad 500C vs. 500CM? Just from googling it looks like the CM is newer thus more easily repairable?

The focus screen on the c is harder to switch out, I guess? It's the same camera, functionally.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You're doing this on purpose, aren't you.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KH2gc11XQU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Somehow I knew from seeing these it was pentacon. So buttery.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

This is nice. I'd be interested to know why you've been shooting nudes lately, though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

It was cold. She got a bit red.

I wish you hadn't missed the focus cause this is really good.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
A Mamiya 7 is my dream camera, and I own a 500c.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Really nice tones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

what the gently caress posted:

here's a guitar he made out of the ancient kauri, wood's carbon dated as 5860 years old.

:(

• Locked thread