Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Alright, thanks to you bastards I'm considering investing in some MF gear.

Would I go wrong buying a Mamiya 645E on KEH for $254 (rated EX+), and pairing it with an 80mm/f2.8 lens for $89 (also EX+)? I understand 645 isn't the most beloved of the MF sizes, but am I right in thinking it's essentially a cropped 6x6 and that the advantages of MF will still come through? I'm thinking a light, plastic body that gets more shots per roll might be a better way to introduce myself to the format, and then if I'm feeling particularly enthusiastic I can always sell the kit and move on to a proper 6x6 (or 6x7) camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Spedman posted:

Second this, 645 was my first step into MF and was a total waste of time. I only had the Mamiya for a month then dumped it for a Bronica SQ-Ai, more shots doesn't equal better.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I thought more == better than, but it might help get more practice out per roll. Might go back and price some other systems on KEH. I'm looking mostly at Hasselblad-type bodies, since I'm not so keen on the idea of a huge rangefinder, or a TLR. Right now the Mamiya RB67 looks good, but I'm assuming its reputation for being heavy isn't unwarranted. How did you find the Bronica?

Also, I had a look through your tumblr. Fellow Melburnian still? Is there anywhere you'd recommend locally for development and scanning?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Thanks for the help, all.

I'm leaning toward the Bronica at the moment. How does $700 on KEH sound? This is for an EX+ SQ-AI body ($199), EX+ 80/2.8 PS lens ($165), EX+ 12-I back ($165) and an EX waistlevel finder for $179 as none of the bodies include one. I also priced a Hasselblad system for $400 more -- is there enough difference to justify the extra cost? Is one a really good or one a really bad deal? (The Hassy is specced similarly.)

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Yeah, $284 of that difference is taken up by the lens alone.

I'll have a better look when I'm back home tonight because browsing KEH on my phone is bullshit. If $700's a fair price I might just pull the trigger.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

gently caress it, I bought a Hassy. BGN back & body (w/ WLF), EX lens because I was wary about skimping there. It broke a grand once shipping was factored in (and I picked up some rolls of Provia 400, going on recommendations earlier in this thread). Now I'm going to stop looking at prices before I get depressed, and list some stuff in the B+S thread tomorrow (anybody here into the lesser formats?).

Should be here on Friday. I'm excited! Think I have a lot to learn before then, but I'll work my way through the rest of this thread first.

:dance:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Thanks for the heads-up! (And validation!)

When you say test roll, should I just be shooting normal scenes and seeing if anything's out of the ordinary, or is there a special process for checking for light leaks? And for the slow shutter speeds, is that where I time a second / half-second and see if they correspond?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

alkanphel posted:

Yeah just shoot a range of bright to dark scenes, if there's a light leak it should be fairly obvious. And yeah just put the Hassy on a stable surface and try the 1/4-1 sec speeds, shooting for the same exposure each time to compare.

Also, 2 shots from Japan with my Hassy, on Velvia 50:
Thanks, and great shots. I'm heading up to Japan in April so I'm really keen to learn as much before than as I can.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Wow, that's fantastic.

I went through and read your post history in this thread, and now I'm even more excited to get into MF if you only started in September and you're already producing these results. This shot is massively different to your others, though -- can I go out on a limb and guess it's slide film? I have no experience yet but I'm trying to pick up what I can.

Got my tracking number from KEH. Expected delivery is next Tuesday, when I've got the day off work. Which would be great except I always get stuff delivered to work. :negative:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:black101:

I can already tell this is going to be one hell of a learning experience. I love that everything is mechanical, and that things actually make sense once you think about it. I was having a lot of trouble getting the shutter to fire with the back attached -- it was working fine until I attached the back -- and then I remembered reading that it won't fire with the dark slide in. Later, I couldn't get the back away from the camera -- which is when I realised it needed the dark slide in for the back to be removed. Brilliant! I don't know if this is just expected behaviour with SLRs, but I appreciate the idiot-proofing.

I was a bit of an idiot when ordering, though, and neglected to get lens or body caps. Given I only have the one lens, would I be able to get away with an off-brand 60mm lens cap?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Another silly beginner's question:

I'm planning to take my Hasselblad out and about tomorrow, but it's expected to be above 30 degrees C for most of the day (probably hitting 35). Given all the talk about refrigerating film, and that the film box says to keep it below 24, should I be concerned? I can't imagine a big black metal box is the best place for film to be in those conditions, but is film finicky enough that a day's shooting would do harm?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I'm out shooting the film now, and I think heat is going to be the absolute least of my concerns. I'm expecting to get a roll back with skewed horizons and nothing in focus.

Having so much fun doing it, though.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I made a series of decisions and now I own a Chamonix.

Which is really exciting except I'm flying out of the country tomorrow and my share of the luggage is already spoken for with the Hassy and various accoutrements. So: what's the best way to store a LF lens while not in use? Obviously I'll leave it uncocked, but do I need to do anything fancy with the aperture or shutter?

Also, I know a lot of you either live in or travel to Japan a lot -- are there any must-see film places? Is Map Camera worth checking out?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I kind of love Portra for long exposures, it turns out. Need to try it more often.

Matsuya Ryokan by rstop bstop, on Flickr

(Is the bottom-left too yellow/green? Rest of the picture looks good to my eyes, any thoughts welcome.)

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Midagahara Hotel by rstop bstop, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Behold, super-lovely LF.

Bench by rstop bstop, on Flickr

Actually pretty happy I got a shot at all. Had to boost the contrast a lot in post -- I know Rodinal leads to a flat negative, but I was shooting with a red filter, so expected more contrast in the sky. I think next time I won't compensate as much for the filter, and develop a bit longer? (I did a 1:100 semi-stand for an hour.)

[edit: also, the right-hand side -- I'm thinking the fading there must have happened during development, as it's on the wrong side for a light leak. Not entirely sure how it could have happened, though.

rohan fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 28, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Have many people here sent a Hasselblad to David Odess? I know someone has, but I can't remember who.

Particularly interested if any Aussies have done so as I'm a bit concerned about customs / shipping etc. I've been putting off maintenance for a while as there's nothing obviously wrong with it, but I did also buy it as a bargain body, and the sooner I send it in the sooner I can get back to shooting.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I just processed and scanned a bunch of 4x5, and every frame has a similar fogging which I'm assuming is a light leak. Here's the least obnoxious example:

BERETT by rstop bstop, on Flickr
And here's a more prominent example:
Light by rstop bstop, on Flickr

Four sheets from two different holders all show the same fading that tapers in from the left-hand side of the image (so, the side the darkslide opens from). Fair to say it's a light leak? I'm thinking either my technique getting the darkslide in and out isn't good enough, or else the holder isn't seated properly in the back when I take the shot. But maybe someone here has a better idea?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

gently caress me

I just realised after shooting some 4x5 in portrait, I'd put the back on in landscape position upside down. Loading film holders doesn't work so well from the wrong side, it turns out! Unless you're me and you're stupid enough not to realise they're not locking in properly.

This is why I'm keeping my 4x5 Portra in the freezer.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

MrBlandAverage posted:

I think he was putting the back on wrong (left-to-right) but the holder in right (right to left). I don't know about whether it makes a difference on a Sinar, but it definitely makes a difference on a Chamonix where the closed end of the holder is surrounded by a raised part of the back.
Yep! I'm pretty sure that's the source of the light leaks, and I'm pretty sure it would also have affected the focus, since on inspection now the holder doesn't seem to sit parallel like that.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

If you're going to do it on even a semi-regular basis, a mod54 would be a really good investment. It's fairly easy to load one after a bit of practise and you'll be able to develop all six sheets at once.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Sludge Tank posted:

My first ever batch of slide film finally developed (was sitting in the fridge for like 18 months). I'm going to sell everything I own and buy more velvia.
I've got some Velvia 100F sitting in my freezer that expires next month and isn't getting shot with any urgency, if you're interested. Happy to trade for some 4x5 or other roll film. [edit: not mentioning how much I've got because I want to stay on the right side of the rules thread, if there's any interest I'm happy to take this to the buy/sell thread and post pics, etc.

rohan fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 19, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Nice! What kind of exposure comp did you need for that shot? I've never had much luck with Acros and red filters.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I think a project is a really good idea. I'm sick of being a 'photographer of opportunity' because it's so easy to get in a rut and keep taking pictures of the same loving things in the same loving places.

One idea I'm going to steal from somewhere else is planning out trips on Google Maps and street view. It feels as if I never have enough dedicated time for photography and, especially when shooting the larger formats, I really need to cut down the amount of time I spend trying to find good shots.

(At this point I'd just be really happy if my photos were poo poo because of dull composition and subject matter, rather than 'oh hey you forgot you were shooting 100-speed film and you can't use spirit levels for poo poo'.)

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Also trying to get my head around red filters. Revisited the scene of a previous shot and came out with this:

Cricket II by rstop bstop, on Flickr

Which I think is an improvement but I doubt you'd know I was using a Red 29 filter if I didn't tell you. For reference I took this around 3pm and the earlier shot was taken around 6pm (so, about an hour before sunset). What kind of lighting do I need to be getting the intense blacks Sludge Tank has in almost every shot? Or is it down to one film being more sensitive to blue / red than the other? (I also switched up development and suspect I underdeveloped the first shot anyway.)

rohan fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 25, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Yeah, I forgot to come back to this discussion. It all makes a lot more sense now so I reckon I'll have a better idea of how to gauge filters next time. I've also ordered a 67mm polariser as I think a polariser + yellow filter will probably get closer to the look I want to achieve than a red filter on its own. I already have a 58mm polariser from my time shooting the lesser formats but a) that would only fit on one of my lenses and b) am I right in thinking the order should be polariser->filter->lens to get any sort of effect?

I've also noticed Acros in particular was ill-suited to red filter use so it's nice to see that backed up elsewhere. I've mainly used Acros for night-time long exposures though (those inky blacks!) so it wasn't really based on huge amounts of experience.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Surveillance by rstop bstop, on Flickr

rohan fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 3, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Sludge Tank posted:

That's awesome. I've tried doing some of that selective focusing with my LF but it's harder than I thought to pick a good scene for it. I always just end up cracking the shits. f/128 yolo
Thanks, I think that scene only worked because it already had the colour contrast there. Most times I try and be clever with movements I end up wishing I'd just stopped all the way down.

Also, that's a great shot, Helicity.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

nth-ing the Chamonix. I got the 045F-1, but should've got the 045N-2 -- I never, ever use the asymmetrical tilt, so I'm carrying around an extra 200g for no reason (and I paid more for the privilege!)

I'd really suggest making a shopping list before you buy anything. There's so much extra stuff involved in shooting LF that it's easy to forget something until you find out you need it. Bare minimum, you'll need the camera, lens, tripod & tripod head, some way to carry it all, cable shutter releases, changing bag (or darkroom), film holders, a loupe, and something you can use as a darkcloth. Later on you'll want to get a proper meter, colour filters for B&W, more film holders, and an actual darkcloth. Probably some film, too.

I really like 150 & 210 as well. They were the two cheapest lenses I've bought and the 150 is almost comically light (the 300mm I bought off Sludge Tank is comically light). I don't think you could go wrong with the standard 150, but honestly I think the 210 is even more versatile. That said, because LF lenses are so much lighter than their MF counterparts, it's so much easier to justify carrying two or three around with you, so you'll be more likely to use different lenses.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

lime's right, and it's the reason I've only shot B&W in 4x5.

That said, I'd still recommend 4x5 over MF if you think it'll suit your style of shooting more. It's a much slower process and you'll be taking far fewer photos than you would shooting MF, which helps mitigate the extra cost per shot.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Slide by rstop bstop, on Flickr

rohan fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 17, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I picked up a Gossen Digisix based on some goon recommendations and it's treated me well so far.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Pretty sure I need to learn to stop down more.

Shed by rstop bstop, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

nice!

deaders I know where you live

rohan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 19, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

From memory Sludge Tank has the F1 (as do I) and I haven't noticed any issues with unfocused shots, but I also take very few photos where critical focus would be an issue.

I suppose the easiest test would be the classic ruler laid out in front, focus on a measurement and see how far off the focus is. I should probably do this myself some time...

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

dear lady who pulled into a parking space, saw my 4x5 and tripod immediately beside it, and then pulled out and drove away

thank you

your sacrifice in the name of poo poo pictures is appreciated

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

4WD by rstop bstop, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

deaders posted:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/woutervandevoorde/ is one of the best on flickr in my opinion.
He has an exhibition coming up in Melbourne in Feb, really looking forward to seeing his work printed large.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Helicity posted:

It's cammed for the 135 that's in it right now, so I don't need to worry about that. I hit a little snag with the Fuji lens though - does anyone know how to easily tell which Copal number a lens is? It just says Copal on it, and I thought these were all Copal 0, but apparently Fuji made a few different sizes. The seller has no idea. Does it even matter for the Crown?
Pretty sure you can tell by the max shutter speed - Copal 0 goes to 1/500 but Copal 1 only goes to 1/400.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Finally shot some of the Astia I bought from MrBlandAverage a little while ago. Amazed at how well it turned out for ten years expired -- this was shot at box speed with minimal levels and curves in Photoshop.

No Smoking by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?