Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So since I got into photography and have been shooting digital, I've remembered that I actually have some older cameras at my father's place. I got him to take some pictures of the cameras for ID, I'll link some here but here's the full album if anyone is interested.

The only really interesting camera is the one on the far left. As far as I can tell it's a 1905 Gundlach-Manhattan Optical Co. "Korona Petit" with the "Korona Junior Shutter", made with mahogany and upholstered with 'seal grain cowhide'. I can't quite make out which lens is on it - maybe someone in here will know. The nameplate is missing from the camera unfortunately.

I'm finding information in this scanned 1903 catalog by the manufacturer. It's written in what would be super pretentious English in current day and you should just try to read the first couple paragraphs.

The mounts for the 1903 lens 'plate' seem to be made of wood in the catalog, I found this image of a 1905 Korona Petit on GIS and it looks pretty much the same:

I do notice however that the one in the image above doesn't seem to have the thumbwheel on the base (for focusing).

The picture has the wheel in the right place and looks nearly identical:

So, it seems this camera came with a couple different options for film size. Which part exactly of the film tray should I measure to figure out which film size it uses? Is 3.25"x4.25" or 3.25"x5.50" even available anywhere in big cities and does anyone develop it? Would be fun to give this thing a shot.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^I think you're right, and yes the manufacturer is definitely engraved on the top.

So I had my father measure the rectangular piece that swings out and secures the film, apparantly it measures to 4.5"x7". Is this a good way of trying to figure out what film size fits? What would be a better way to measure this? Or where should we be measuring?

E: woops, syntax

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 6, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I have my grandfather's 1905 Korona Petit, I posted about it a year ago or so in the thread when I was identifying it. I'd like to replace the torn bellows on it and actually shoot with it/see how the optics are. I'm not expecting anything great but it would be cool to use the camera my grandfather shot with 50 years before I was born.

Where can I find replacement bellows? Is it better to find a similar dimension bellows in another camera and scavenge it? Thanks guys.

e:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 12, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

aricoarena posted:

It is normal to have to adjust a rangefinder when switching from a short to long lens? I recently got the 150mm lens for my Mamiya 6 but when I put it on the rangefinders close focus is about 3 to 4 feet instead of the 6 feet it should be for the lens and the giant antenna about 5 miles away is still out of focus at infinity.

You're not using an adaptor with the lens right?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

1 hour @ f/22

I love this - I'm surprised you shot it at f/22, is there something funny with hyperfocal distance and MF that doesn't work the same as on 35mm film/digital cameras? I would have thought it's better to shoot at f/16 or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ah that makes total sense. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Something is off color-wise about this photo and I cant tell what. Too saturated? Too blue? Too pink?

Diana by spike mccue, on Flickr

I would come back a bit on the dark levels in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Picked this up for $399 from ebay with a full return policy. It has the 75/f4.5 on it, can't wait to waste even more expensive film on bad shots.

• Locked thread