Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

Does anyone here know what's involved in adjusting the spacing on a Hasselblad A12 back? The last time I used mine for anything other than a paperweight I remember getting some overlap.

Probably adjusting/replacing the various gears in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Portra 160

Containers by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

More Portra 160

Kilo @ Pact by alkanphel, on Flickr

Fire Fignting Acces by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

My friend bought some LED panels so I decided to try and shoot a portrait of another friend who came over to his house as well. One good thing about using LED panels with my Hassy is that you don't need to bother with a flash sync cable anymore, and you can see how the light will be like right in the viewfinder, instead of having to test with another camera or Polaroid. Shot this on Astia film as well.

Alva by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Doorway by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Looks pretty drat good!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Portra 160

Ma Maison by alkanphel, on Flickr

Wine Bottles by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

voodoorootbeer posted:

Very pretty tones and exposure. It looks nothing like the Portra 400 that I shot in 35mm. What gives? Just plain negative size?

Thanks. I think the negative size does play a part, in having better tonality, but I think it also depends on how the lab develops the film and how they/we colour correct it after scanning.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I borrowed my friend's Aptus 54S to use on my Hassy over a weekend and took some nature shots with it.

Aptus Test 1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Aptus Test 2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Aptus Test 4 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Rubbish Bins, Pearl Centre, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I had no idea how this would really turn out when I took it but it turned out nicely in the end I think.

Rays of light by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Trying out Provia 100F for portraiture, not too bad indeed I felt.

Danny Santos II by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some Portra 160VC

Florist, Bishan, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Kopitiam, Ang Mo Kio, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

and Astiaaaa

Playground Seat by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Portra 160

Idol by alkanphel, on Flickr

Portra 400

Tomb by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

voodoorootbeer posted:

Love the contrast in the first, and the color looks nice enough to be slide. The second is just really sweet.

Thanks. I just pushed the blacks slider in LR and it turned out really nicely like slide, as you said.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

Seconding the repair shop.
But if it's mostly at the beginning you can try to artificially make the roll thicker. Duck tape some backing tape to the leader of the roll you're shooting. 5-10cm should be sufficient. I do this for my old folders who have frame spacing problems. But with those folders these problems are due to the old films being thicker and thus the mechanism being tuned for that thickness. I doubt that's the problem with your camera, but it might help anyway.

On that point, I just got back my magazine back from servicing at Hasselblad and the technician pasted a new sticker on the loading reel side where he said I should align the starting arrow to that red dot if I was using Ilford film or had spacing issues for the first few frames.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karang Guni Man by alkanphel, on Flickr

Void Deck, Bukit Merah, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

Hm, to be that's a bit akin to starting MF with a Hasselblad. Sure it's a drat fine camera and very workable, but for people who aren't even sure that they're gonna stick with it that's one hell of an investment. Add to that that an LF camera is probably even harder to unload than a MF outfit... and yeah.

Haha this is exactly how I got started in MF. Just took a leap of faith and bought a Hasselblad. Loved shooting with it ever since :D

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

Haha, well it certainly worked for you. First flowers out of the wazoo and then the stuff you've been doing recently. (Which I like!) So I guess there goes my argument... or something something.

Haha thanks! I think it was Araki who said that changing your cameras means your photos will change, and I guess that's what happened for me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Junk, Jalan Besar, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Silat Primary School, Bukit Merah, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Fortune God by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Velvia 50

R47 RVP50 02 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Portra 160

Sacks, Princep Street, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Reichstag posted:

It's ok, no one could afford a new one anyway, and the old ones will work forever.

Yeah I always thought it was dead long ago and all the "new" stock was from warehouses containing stock that no one would buy at those crazy prices.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Portra 160 again

BIRDLAND, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

I am looking at Hasselblad's for my next season at the south pole.

I have one that is close by, the 2000FC. The guy said he's willing to hang onto it for me if it doesnt sell.

The downside is the repair cost of these apparently is ridiculous, and would result in the butchering of another body for parts.

Also I'm reading that the 500cm has problems with shutters staying open in cold weather, which obviously I would want to avoid.

Any suggestions?

Yeah the repair cost of a 2000 series Hassy is going to be crazy and that's not including trying to find the parts. With regards to the 500CM, I think if you get a one and give it a good CLA, it should work fine for you even at the South Pole. Take a look at this thread.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Another q: apparently the 50mm f/4 distagon for the 500c/m has a 63mm filter thread (some varying between like 62.65mm etc), but I'm having trouble finding out if I can get an adapter ring to put my cokin p-series bracket onto the end of it for ND/GND filter use... or how I could go about this?

I suspect you might need this retaining ring, which turns your 63 into a 67. I guess you're using the older 50/4 C lens?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

It's not actually a threaded 63mm filter ring it's Bay 60 you can find adapters cheap on ebay.

The older 50/4 use threaded bayonets, they only switched to B60 for CF and B70 for Cfi I believe.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Sorry yeah it's a 50mm f/4 C T (black), that's all the info I can get on it as far as I can tell, KEH doesn't have serial numbers or anything I can pull a date from..

Usually the model of the lens will give us the clue. I'd recommend getting the CF version at least if you can afford it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'd try TMAX 400 or Acros for b&w, and Portra 400 or Provia 100F for colour.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shelter, Queenstown, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

I received my 500c/m today from KEH and a 80mm 2.8 CT and 2 magazine backs.

all in exc conidition. I have mounted the lens and the film back, loaded a roll of film. However, I cannot turn the crank on the side of the camera body.

What gives? Had a look online but all sources seem to point towards me having to take it into a repair place (melbourne) to get repaired, is there anything else I can try before I do this?

I can remove the lens, film back etc but cannot turn the crank, the shutters are open and the mirror is up (I can see right through the camera body)

When I got the gear, I had to use a screwdriver to turn the shutter mechanism inside the camera body as it was not aligned to fit the lens on the body.

What happens when you try to fire it? Sounds like it is stuck in the fired position.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

yeah nothing happens when I try to fire it, the firing button doesn't seem to be able to depress all the way either (time catch is in O position)

I think you should just complain to KEH, return it to them and ask them to send you a new 500CM body. They're usually nice enough to pay for your return shipping.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

would that be the best option over getting the body repaired somewhere local?
Yeah I just can't cock the camera body whatsoever, it's more or less completely jammed up. Shutters stay open, mirror won't drop, crank won't turn etc

Well it's time vs money. Sending it back to KEH and getting a new one shouldn't cost anything unless you live outside the US and get taxed on shipments. But if you're willing to pay to get it repaired and they can do it in under a week, then you can go that route. When I shipped a Hassy lens back to KEH, it was sent back overnight and they shipped it back in a few days, so back and forth was under a week and no extra cost to me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Santa is strapped posted:

So I shot some Velvia 50 on a sunny day one day. And of course I'm an idiot so I overexposed every single shot, except for like 2. I think it's time for a real light meter..

Well to be fair if you're gonna shoot Velvia 50 on a sunny day, you'll probably have to do some bracketing. Light meter won't really help with shooting that kind of high contrast scene on Velvia.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

Who can afford to bracket with Velvia for random shots taken around town? Do people actually bracket with film these days outside of paid gigs?

I bracketed some of my shots when I went on a trip, but I still don't know if I bracketed it correctly haha.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Velvia 50

Deer, Nara, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Three Deers, Nara, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

Talk me out of buying a GW690II for $300. :ohdear:

What? 300? Buy it now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Admiral posted:

Argh, I guy I know is selling a Phase One P25 back for Hasselblad for $1800 (AUD), and an H1 body for $640.

That's a ridiculously good price, right? Is there any reason I *shouldn't* buy it?

That sounds impossibly cheap, so there might be a catch somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TMAX 400

Geylang Serai Market by alkanphel, on Flickr

Provia 100F, converted to b&w

Adam by alkanphel, on Flickr

• Locked thread