Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Question for the Pentax 6x7 users here. I recently acquired one and it have been looking for a wider lens. Right now I have the 105mm, is the 55mm any good? Also is a teleconverter worth buying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So for the Pentax 6x7 using a waist level finder makes it possible to use as a walk around camera? Right now I've been using a tripod everywhere I go with mine and lightening the load would be nice.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

8th-snype posted:

With a little bit of cardboard and gaffer tape you can find out for yourself.

:golfclap:

Might have to try that, or splurge for waist level finder after my summer vacation.

dog nougat posted:

Whelp. This thread has convinced me I need a 67. It'd be nice to get my hands on one before I before I throw my bux down, just to see how absurd baller it really is.

Near Albany NY?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Tell me how bad of an idea this is:

Pentax 6x7
Pentax 55mm f4 SMC
Inoperative meter TTL prism

- What's really new about the 6x7 vs the 67? Is it worth the extra money to get a 67 over a 6x7?
- I'm assuming that if I get a TTL prism, but the metering is broken, I can still use it, just without metering.
- Anything else I'm forgetting? Aside from major neck and spine surgery, a beefy strap, and some 120 or 220 film

Don't forget dat grip, its the only reason to get the camera. :c00lbert:

Also the strap is weird on the 6x7, at least for mine (I think its the very first version) uses a special strap that attaches to what I can only describe as rivets on the front of the camera body, so you will probably want to get the strap as well.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

alkanphel posted:

The other reason would be the 105/2.4 cream machine.

I have that lens and I'm not all that impressed with it. Because it has the special thorium lenses it has gone yellow over time and so far nothing I have tried has removed the drat tint.

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm thinking of using my blackrapid. Or would that be too weak for the massive mannliness that this camera is?

I've never tried it my self because I usually use a tripod cus its so drat heavy but i'll give it a go this weekend and let you know the results.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

What did you try? Depending on your weather it might take up to a month of exposure to sunlight to completely fix.

Since my apartment is surrounded by trees I decided to skip sun and try lamps. I first tried a energy efficient black light bulb but a few days did nothing and reading indicated that it prolly wouldn't help. I'm trying the ikea lamp that has been mentioned on a few web pages and that has done very little over the course of a week. So I switched to the front end of lens today to see if that will help. After that I might see if I can pay to use time in a tanning salon bed for the drat thing.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
My father seems to have contracted a mental illness and wants to buy a large format, most likely a 4x5. I know little to nothing about 4x5 except that I can't afford it. He's been talking about horseman cameras, are they any good? Or is there another make that would be a better choice for some one who's trying it out for the first time?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

They're fine but there's a bunch of different kinds of Horseman 4x5 so it's impossible to tell how severe your father's mental illness is.

He's been eyeing a horseman 45. I think he's envious that I got a 6x7.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
He's eyeing a woodsman, and he was talking about hiking up a local mountain to get some landscapes. So far he's hasn't gotten to sludge tank level so he may be in the very early stages of the illness. I've been trying to talk him down to a medium format but it's not working.

For my own interest anyone know if the Pentax 67 55-100 zoom is worth the $700 price tag?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

eggsovereasy posted:

Tell him to get this

So he won't have to bother with an enlarger to make poster prints. Really you're just saving him some hassle down the line.

just out of curiosity what size film does that eat?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

:homebrew:

Its like the howitzer of film photography...

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Decided that instead of going out side I would develop some film from my pentax 6x7

Tim-6x7-030.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

Tim-6x7-025.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

Tim-6x7-022.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

Tim-6x7-014.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

Tim-6x7-011.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

I have two problems though. First it seems that some shutter speeds are not working, I know 1/1000 was broke when I got it but I think 1/500 is dead or dying now. Second, the last frame always gets cut in half, I have been loading it to the orange/red dot like the manual says but every time its off. is there some step i missed or is the camera in need of repairs?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only question I can think of is whether the feed gearing is set to "120". Look at the top right part of the camera, there's a screw head that acts as a selector.

I think you've probably got that set properly so I think it's just time for servicing.

Just pulled it out to look and its set to "10" guess i get to try my local camera repair out.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

I have looked into this, contacts were clean when i opened it up but I'll give it another go this week.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Edit 1: I just noticed, the roller on the right side (film counter side), it only turns counterclockwise about 3/4 of a turn before it stops. It will turn clockwise as much as I want though. The roller on the left side (shutter speed dial side) will turn in both directions no problems.
These:

Edit 2: It seems like the shutter really isn't firing off as often as I thought. So far I've had 4 processed rolls (40 exposures), and a total of 5 unexposed (totally blank) and 1 partially exposed (that may have been me accidentally exposing it when taking it out).
:(

I think your first part is normal since the film is just pulled by the right roller. Regarding the shutter it might be the highest shutter speed. I had a similar problem where a lot of frames were blank, I jotted down my shutter speeds for a roll one day and found that 1/1000 and 1/500 had failed, trip to the local shop confirmed it, still waiting to hear if he can fix mine.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Even though the film is just pulled by the right side winding lever, shouldn't the right side roller roll freely to let the film roll smoothly? Right now the film would basically drag on that roller.

The shutter speed idea, that might be it. I bought the camera with the flash, and knowing that the flash sync is 1/30, and the shots that I missed may have used 1/15 or 1/30 shutter speed, I popped off the shutter speed dial and checked out the contacts. Not horrible, but not shiny. Polished them up with a sharpened popsicle stick, will see how the test roll goes.

How did the local store confirm it?

I'm not sure how he verified it, by the point I brought it to the repair guy I had already opened it up a bit and found the contacts clean so I knew it was beyond my repair skills.

And I misread yeah the right should be moving when the film advance lever is used. Might have to break down and mail it or bring it to someone for repairs.

*edit*

I'm trying to decide what would be a better use of my money, a light meter or the metered Pentaprism for my 6x7? its a first generation 6x7 so I'm imagining having a series of pentaprisms that will be broken or will break and be a pain to get fixed. On the other hand if i get a working one it would be pretty sweet to have aperture priority mode.

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 29, 2014

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

I have a metered prism and I'd advise that you spend the money instead on the handle and then use the iphone lightmeter app.

Already have the handle it was what sold me on the camera.

*edit*

and hating money

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So my dad bought a speed graphic, no film holders. Any particular one he should get? Also what kind of tank do use for development for 4x5 film?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So my father has handed me his speed graflex and a six sheet holder and told me to load it so we can try it out tomorrow. I figured out that part already but how the hell do you develop sheet film?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

8th-snype posted:

The same way as other film? If you have a patterson tank google the taco method.

This was exactly what I needed, thanks!

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Baron Dirigible posted:

If you're going to do it on even a semi-regular basis, a mod54 would be a really good investment. It's fairly easy to load one after a bit of practise and you'll be able to develop all six sheets at once.

For my self probably not, since this camera was a bitch to use. if my dad goes that route will it fit into a super system 4 tank or is that too small?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

8th-snype posted:

Oh there's a bitch in this post, but it's you. Cowboy up and shoot LF.

(feeling superior to miniature format shooters is the only thing that keeps LF bros from being intensely suicidal)

If it wasn't a old rear end speed graflex I might have enjoyed it more, also 6x7 4 lyfe.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone ever had an issue with their Pentax 6x7 where the exposure dial is loose and just spins all the way around without stopping on any individual setting? I'm in Iceland right now and having this issue and need to know if I'm able to fix this myself with commonly available tools ASAP. :/

I have my Mark III with me but it's not the same

On my 67 (first gen) the shutter dial is held in by three tiny screws the side of the dial that use a very small standard drive screw driver. Sounds like they might be loose, can you pull the dial up and down?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Who Broke NY by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Posting by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 3, 2015

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I have a V600, the price is very affordable and the quality is excellent, it even comes with holders for film up to MF. However if you are even considering shooting LF or lots of MF/35mm/slides a V700 would be worth the investment.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

MadlabsRobot posted:

I'm not near the scanner now so I can't really check but I seem to remember only fitting about one and a half 6x7 frame in the holder. Might be confusing it with the fact that I the lab cuts the film in strips with three frames each.
The sharpness don't increase if I shim up but might actually increase a bit when I put the negs directly on the scanner glass. So maybe I just got a bad one.

But yeah, the V500 is really cheap in photography bux and I have not yet been bothered enough to upgrade so it's obviously still good enough.

I think I have a v500, can't double check at work but when the film advance in my camera works right I can scan three frames at a time in the holder. Unfortunately mines screwed up so usually I only get two.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Scored a P67ii + AE prism + 45mm all in absolute mint condition for $530. No hard feelings, mates? :smugdog:

Words cannot express how jealous of you i am right now.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

I got a bonus at work a little while ago. Rather than do anything even vaguely responsible with it, I found and ordered a 6x7 projector.

As it turns out, 6x7 projectors are really big. This thing weighs close to 40 pounds, and the lens tube looks like it came off a softball launcher.

I have some big slide mounts coming in the mail today. :dance:

dear god where did you find one? can you post pics?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Barrowed my dads speed graphic in return for developing his film, utter pain in the rear end to use (he needs me to show him how to use it) but it does take neat photos.

Speed Graphic 1 by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Speed Graphic 2 by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Speed Graphic 3 by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Speed Graphic 4 by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Spedman posted:

Is the lens uncoated?

It's from the 1950s so I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Picked this up for $399 from ebay with a full return policy. It has the 75/f4.5 on it, can't wait to waste even more expensive film on bad shots.

looks better than mines does, now spend all your remaining money on slide film

• Locked thread