Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

I would take a nature magic sphere to go with it, because land traints are going to eat forests and that will certainly cut into your elven happiness. Nature should let you spawn tree's though, but don't hold me to that because that could be a druid only spell.

We don't have a nature sphere, closest we have is Creation, which contains the magic for terraforming to Temperate climes. You don't any special sphere to get the magic to make forests, you just need the "Terraforming" research, which is an avatar skill (i.e. Everyone gets it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

We don't have a nature sphere, closest we have is Creation, which contains the magic for terraforming to Temperate climes. You don't any special sphere to get the magic to make forests, you just need the "Terraforming" research, which is an avatar skill (i.e. Everyone gets it).

Oh, neat. Is there a downloadable manual for the game somewhere we can access before the game unlocks? It sounds like a there's a lot of features I had assumed worked one way actually work another. I fully expected elves would make lovely dreads unless they went certain builds because of the forests.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Nah, we've tried to avoid that. Elves have a rather unique problem with forests, since they get destroyed by landships and by road building, but not having forests isn't the end of the world for elves, you can always build more if you want.

I'm afraid we don't have a manual or anything yet :( There's a bunch of reviews you can read if you like though, all listed in this thread:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/age-of-wonders-3-reviews/

Also, one of the beta testers is making a sort of ultimate How To Play series of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhAjLeSwzp3hLPeLqY2p-R7Ubbauwhxpe

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 31, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tomn posted:

Personally, I'd be pretty interested in a "First Age" fantasy game where the whole point is to leave behind an awesome legacy worthy of being remembered by future, lesser generations, whether it's done through crafting amazing artifacts, leaving behind incredible monuments, achieving legendary heroics and even engaging in epoch-marking wars.

Bonus points if the ending consists of various adventurers picking over the ruins of the civilizations in play, marveling at what they've uncovered.

It's been a page or two, but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Toady is hoping to accomplish with Dwarf Fortess, once both Fortress and Adventure Mode are in gear.

Well, either that or a sentient AI that seeks to remake the real world into the True Dwarf Fortress.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Will you host a wiki? I'd be happy to contribute with a bunch of unit and spell transcriptions. The poor mans manual, as it were.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I don't think we have any plans to ourselves... I believe that usually fans just start their own on Wikia, or a similar website.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Gog or Steam!? Someone make this decision for me!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

Gog or Steam!? Someone make this decision for me!

Steam. Workship the 75% off sales!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Steam, and join the group. :getin:

I'm going to be tidying up the OP over the next few hours, since we have enough information to keep the first post focused on AOW3 now. If theres anything glaring thats missing from it as it is, speak up and ill get it included.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Steam'd it!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gerblyn posted:

Looks like plan Elf Musketmen is go, then. :getin:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm going to have the hardest time picking a starting class, I can tell. Archdruid sounds amazing, but I haven't even gotten to the other class videos yet. (watching those how two videos) I'm really liking the range of techs and unique units/spells each class has.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Well, I bought the game. Now, I'm just waiting around.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Deltasquid posted:

Looks like plan Elf Musketmen is go, then. :getin:

Actually, if the terraforming is so easy I think it's a viable strategy to create forest superhighways like another overly expansionistic 4X leader Hiawatha! :argh:

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
When my biggest gripe with the release is that half HP units still punch as full strength, I have a feeling that this going to be a nice lil game ::):

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Daktari posted:

When my biggest gripe with the release is that half HP units still punch as full strength, I have a feeling that this going to be a nice lil game ::):

Something that could be easily modded if it really irked you.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Neif posted:

Something that could be easily modded if it really irked you.

There's no way of modding that in I'm afraid, it would require changes to the source code.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

There's no way of modding that in I'm afraid, it would require changes to the source code.
1) Can you create new unit abilities?
2) Can you mod existing units?
3) Are unit stats visible to abilities (i.e. could you have a damage buff that, instead of damage +2, is damage +(maxHP/currentHP)*2)?

e: I keep rereading this and it keeps coming across as weirdly hostile and I don't know why. I can't rephrase it so it doesn't, so please take it on trust that it's not intended that way.

If the answers to all of these is yes, then a modder just needs to make a new unit ability edit each multi-model unit to include it. Could make a different effect for each unit with different numbers for easier balance.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 31, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doink9731 posted:

I've been listening to this Tom Petty tune for the past six hours on repeat.

I'm indescribably mad. :tizzy:

Great, thanks, now I'm doing the same. I'll send you the psychiatric bill.

Except of course I have to wait until later in the week until I get paid, so I might be listening to it for days on end....

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 31, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gerblyn posted:

Could an expansion pack add a toggle for that later, maybe? It doesn't really irk me quite that much anyway, but I do admit it feels a bit odd that you have to focus fire on units to weaken an army.

That said, just making damage proportional to health out of the box might make ranged units/getting the first strike in combat way overpowered so ti'd need a lot of tweaking, I can see why you wouldn't want to go through all that.

EDIT: that said, how awesome is it that the last guy in his regiment avenges his fallen friends by slapping everyone around? Very.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: that said, how awesome is it that the last guy in his regiment avenges his fallen friends by slapping everyone around? Very.
Oh yeah, thematically I'm more than happy that the more people you kill the angrier their friends get, until the last guy is such a goddamn badass that he beats the crap out of a dragon single-handed. My only gripe is that the game doesn't take it that one step further and make this a possible way to recruit new heroes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Could an expansion pack add a toggle for that later, maybe? It doesn't really irk me quite that much anyway, but I do admit it feels a bit odd that you have to focus fire on units to weaken an army.

That said, just making damage proportional to health out of the box might make ranged units/getting the first strike in combat way overpowered so ti'd need a lot of tweaking, I can see why you wouldn't want to go through all that.

It would need a total overhaul of the mechanics, not to mention rebalancing. I'm not keen on it either since I'm a huge Master of Magic nerd but I already wrote a big post about the mechanic 20 pages ago so I don't think it's good for me to enter that discussion again :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

It would need a total overhaul of the mechanics, not to mention rebalancing. I'm not keen on it either since I'm a huge Master of Magic nerd but I already wrote a big post about the mechanic 20 pages ago so I don't think it's good for me to enter that discussion again :v:
Either works fine as a base mechanic, but trying to balance a game such that the game works fine with either toggled? Now that would be a nightmare :gonk:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Splicer posted:

Oh yeah, thematically I'm more than happy that the more people you kill the angrier their friends get, until the last guy is such a goddamn badass that he beats the crap out of a dragon single-handed. My only gripe is that the game doesn't take it that one step further and make this a possible way to recruit new heroes.

That's because the lone survivor spends the rest of the campaign getting drunk at a tavern, hoping it'll numb the images of fallen friends burned in his mind. But just when he thinks he'll get over it, he wakes up in cold sweat that night, still hearing his comrades' tormented voices. "Urist!" they cry. "Urist, why did we attack that flame tank with our spears?" and Urist can never answer what strange urge compelled them to do so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

That's because the lone survivor spends the rest of the campaign getting drunk at a tavern, hoping it'll numb the images of fallen friends burned in his mind. But just when he thinks he'll get over it, he wakes up in cold sweat that night, still hearing his comrades' tormented voices. "Urist!" they cry. "Urist, why did we attack that flame tank with our spears?" and Urist can never answer what strange urge compelled them to do so.

Because the flame tank upgrades from cavalry and spears get +50% against mounted units, obviously.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Splicer posted:

Either works fine as a base mechanic, but trying to balance a game such that the game works fine with either toggled? Now that would be a nightmare :gonk:

With base mechanic I think you can go as far as saying: 'completely different games', I'd consider the AoW games as incompatible as you can get, unless you want to restrict casting spells on the battlefield enormously. Who even cares about first strike and archery units becoming super powerful, it's aoe or battlefield-wide spells that would become the _one and only_ thing.

I very much prefer the "last guy fights like a hero" idea, it goes well with epic fantasy too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

1) Can you create new unit abilities?
2) Can you mod existing units?
3) Are unit stats visible to abilities (i.e. could you have a damage buff that, instead of damage +2, is damage +(maxHP/currentHP)*2)?

I don't actually know what modding tools we'll be releasing when, all you get at release is the level editor, which doesn't allow you to do any of these things.

Assuming you had the Resource Editor, the answer would be:

1) Yes.
2) I think so.
3) No.

Abilities aren't written in a scripting language or anything like that, they're made by linking modules together.

For example, "Shoot Longbow" is 3 modules: 1 ability, 1 targeter and 1 effect.

1) The ability is what is actually linked to the unit so the system knows the unit can fire a longbow.

2) The targeter figures out what the ability will affect, shoot longbow uses a single unit targeter configured to only target enemy units.

3) The effect determines what will happen to the targets that the targeter finds. Shoot longbow uses an effect that does physical damage to the found target.

You could make the ability have an AoE by using a targeter that selects all the units within one hex of the target location instead of only the unit on the target location.
You could give the ability a status effect by attaching a second effect to the targeter that applied a Damage Over Time property to the targeted unit.

In order to achieve "Less HP = Less Damage" mechanic you'd need a new damage effect that scaled the damage done to the target by the proportion of its hitpoints the caster unit has remaining. You'd probably also want similar modifications to other effects, so priests heal less, and status effects have lower success chances.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
It makes perfect sense if you understand every dwarf is a secret ninja, following a variant of "Conservation of Ninjitsu", or the law of Inverse Ninja strength. Either that, or every Elf is actually Sparta.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Goblin Warlord. Or Sorcerer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

3) The effect determines what will happen to the targets that the targeter finds. Shoot longbow uses an effect that does physical damage to the found target.
How do modifiers like Mighty Meek work? It sounds like it's chock full of conditionals. Could someone make a Mighty Meek clone that references current health instead of tier? Or are static qualities like tier treated differently from dynamic aspects like current health?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 31, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

How do modifiers like Mighty Meek work? It sounds like it's chock full of conditionals. Could someone make a Mighty Meek clone that references current health instead of tier? Or are static qualities like tier treated differently from dynamic aspects like current health?

There are a bunch of conditional attack modifier modules that can be linked to units, Mighty Meek is a custom module that grants an attack bonus based on the difference in tiers between the caster and the target. I could code a custom module that generated an attack penalty/bonus based on a units current health, but we don't have one now since the design never asked for one.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gerblyn posted:

There are a bunch of conditional attack modifier modules that can be linked to units, Mighty Meek is a custom module that grants an attack bonus based on the difference in tiers between the caster and the target. I could code a custom module that generated an attack penalty/bonus based on a units current health, but we don't have one now since the design never asked for one.

It sounds like this kind of thing could be designed for a later barbarian unit, hint hint nudge nudge?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Listening to the iHunterKiller videos, I just realized how overpowered an Undead race as the Dreadnought class would be, since many of the spells have machines and undead as being immune to their effects. I don't know if that wants me to play as them more or less. :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

Ah, and all those modules are hardcoded where we can't get at them? So with a resource editor someone could make a different spell or innate ability that accesses that modifier module, but not actually create new modules. I get you.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my inane queries with release less than an hour away, I do appreciate it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I wasn't paying much attention to the previews/videos for this game over the last few weeks. I guess I just assumed races were going to be more generic then they are. They actually all look pretty cool and interesting in their own right! Makes me want more races in the expansion for sure.

Not going to make choosing a race/class combo any easier, though. Druids just seem cool and versatile, whereas I like the Rogues narrow focus on melee/stealth/cities/fear/poison for a very thematic playstyle. Dreadnaughts I'm avoiding for now because hipster, but they seem to have limited but extremely powerful options. Sorcerers look like they live up to their magic focus, and ...I haven't looked at Theocrats or Warlords yet. I'm sure they're also awesome.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Ah, and all those modules are hardcoded where we can't get at them? So with a resource editor someone could make a different spell or innate ability that accesses that modifier module, but not actually create new modules. I get you.

Exactly. The benefit of this approach is that the AI can analyze the modules and, assuming the pattern of modules is one that it understands, simply use them. If you were to add an AoE mind control ability, the AI would be able to use it effectively without being modified. If the abilities were scripted, then each ability would need more script to explain to the AI how to use it properly (which is a huge amount of work).

And you're welcome! There's not actually that much for me to do except wait for all hell to break loose.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

I'm listening to this twice.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Available for DL now on GOG... though I'm currently stuck with a pretty low spec machine

Edit: okay, link is up not yet working.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 31, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
I'm hanging out on CTS mumble for launch. Come join me.

:getin:

• Locked thread