Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Game is beautiful.

edit for new page: buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

adamarama posted:

Game is good so far, just been messing about in the campaign. I'm having some display bugs at 1440p though, some of the tooltips are coming up as black boxes. Anyone else have an issue?

Yeah, there's a known issue if you play at a resolution about 1920x1080 that the UI scaling messes up :( I'm afraid you'll just have to turn the resolution down until we can figure out a fix for it.

a!n posted:

How do I register my Steam product key without linking my Steam and Triumph accounts?

I want to reduce my exposure to this Triumph account business to a minimum.

In theory you can just click "No" when it asks you to link your account and then enter the product key in the next panel. I can't ask my boss at the moment what the consequences are of doing that though... It might be a good idea to ask on our support forums about it, so someone who's in the office can give you a better answer.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

In theory you can just click "No" when it asks you to link your account and then enter the product key in the next panel. I can't ask my boss at the moment what the consequences are of doing that though... It might be a good idea to ask on our support forums about it, so someone who's in the office can give you a better answer.

The thing is I can't even find my product key. Steam doesn't have the usual options and if it's somewhere in the registry I haven't found it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Unless goons start reporting it sucks I am definitely going to buy this game after a few patches. I played the first Age of Wonders so much as a kid.

Still a bit disappointed that the Frostlings and the Azrac and all of those crazy races are gone.

I'm loving this game but yeah the loss of some of the more interesting races hurts. We're left with a handful of fantasy tropes which seem well-designed from a gameplay standpoint but I always loved playing the more out-there races like Archons and Tigrans and Azracs just because it was a welcome change of pace from the standard Human/Elves/Dwaves/Goblins/Orcs/Dragons. I wouldn't at all say this is a reason to not play the game but I hope they get added in through an expansion or something later :kiddo:

a!n posted:

The thing is I can't even find my product key. Steam doesn't have the usual options and if it's somewhere in the registry I haven't found it.

Yeah, this is happening to me. Steam did not provide a CD key for my purchase. Can't get it through the right click menu in library or through the menu on the right side of the game's page in the library, there's just no "CD Key" option like there is for other games. I went ahead and linked my Steam account but I'm not sure what you would do otherwise.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 31, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Plus Frostlings fill a niche that's weirdly absent. Frost damage and resistant is near non-existent unless you have the water sphere, and everything in the world (except elves!) is stupidly resistant to Blight damage.

Really the resistances and elemental balance in general feels off right now. And it especially hurts things like Goblin Rogues.

Other than that, loving the game. Will love it more when Frostlings, Lizardmen (with turtle cavalry) and Necromancer class is added :colbert:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

a!n posted:

If that's the case you might have no choice but to link them I'm afraid :(

A.C. posted:

Yeah, this is happening to me. Steam did not provide a CD key for my purchase. Can't get it through the right click menu in library or through the menu on the right side of the game's page in the library, there's just no "CD Key" option like there is for other games. I went ahead and linked my Steam account but I'm not sure what you would do otherwise.

Keep trying with the activation thing, you should get there in the end. Or just play offline and do it tomorrow when things have calmed down! I'm afraid it looks like the stress testing we did wasn't stressful enough.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, it went through fine a couple minutes later :)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zore posted:

Plus Frostlings fill a niche that's weirdly absent. Frost damage and resistant is near non-existent unless you have the water sphere, and everything in the world (except elves!) is stupidly resistant to Blight damage.

Really the resistances and elemental balance in general feels off right now. And it especially hurts things like Goblin Rogues.

Other than that, loving the game. Will love it more when Frostlings, Lizardmen (with turtle cavalry) and Necromancer class is added :colbert:

This is something I've pondered quite a bit, do Lizardmen need to be in the game when we already have Draconians? I thought they were the same race (with the elemental bonuses shifted but still). I've got the same conflict with Archon/Undead and adding back the dark elves/wood elves when we already have High Elves. Maybe they could add subraces and add frostlings as a relative to Goblins but that feels awkward to me.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
The concept/race section of the tome breaks down what each racial trait does for your perfectly.

Like goblins get -5 hp, a few other traits, and what makes me want to try a warlord: +10% pop growth. Irregulars for almost free.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any chance we could get an end turn confirmation in battle when your units haven't moved? I've now twice lost a battle because I accidentally clicked End Turn instead of Cast Spell. Entirely my fault and all, but it would be nice if there was a "Are you sure you want to end your turn? Six of your units have not moved." dialog.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, there's a known issue if you play at a resolution about 1920x1080 that the UI scaling messes up :( I'm afraid you'll just have to turn the resolution down until we can figure out a fix for it.

What's the cut off? What resolutions can I set it to and expect to work?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Triskelli posted:

This is something I've pondered quite a bit, do Lizardmen need to be in the game when we already have Draconians? I thought they were the same race (with the elemental bonuses shifted but still). I've got the same conflict with Archon/Undead and adding back the dark elves/wood elves when we already have High Elves. Maybe they could add subraces and add frostlings as a relative to Goblins but that feels awkward to me.

The difference of course is that the Lizardmen own bones while the Draconians are the inbred offshoots of actual dragons. It has been 12 years and I am still salty, forever salty about this

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Triskelli posted:

In my mind none of these are alike in any way at all. But you have to put in the work to make their existence in the universe plausible, which can be a reason to omit them.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Anyone know a way to toggle flags off in combat? I thought this was possible.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

What's the cut off? What resolutions can I set it to and expect to work?

I know that 1920 x 1080 works, beyond that I'm afraid I have no idea. No-one at the office has a monitor capable of a higher rez, which is why no-one ever noticed the issue in the first place...

Snow Job posted:

Anyone know a way to toggle flags off in combat? I thought this was possible.

It was, unfortunately it wasn't implemented very well and the decision was made to disable it rather than risk breaking something by rewriting it a week before release. The only way you can access it is to run the game in Debug mode and press CTRL-ALT-X to toggle the flags on and off. You can turn on debug mode on the Misc. tab of the launcher. It should work fine, it'll just run a little slower than normal mode.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
My game runs horrifyingly bad, changing any of the performance options seems to make absolutely no difference. It is especially apparent when trying to order my armies around, or just moving around the map. The game feels like it is moving at a sluggish crawl.

Intel i5-2300
16 GB Ram
AMD Radeon 6990 HD
Installed on my SSD

Just tested with fraps scrolling around the screen drops my frame rate to ~10 fps.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 31, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I know most people are probably playing the game instead of messing with the editor at the moment, but I have two questions about the editor:

First, it's driving my video card nuts, I assume because of an unlocked framerate, is there any way to turn on vsync in the editor or lock the framerate somehow so I don't have to listen to my gpu fans? I don't have any problem running the game itself but I imagine my video card is taxing itself displaying the editor at 200+ frames per second or whatever.

Second, I haven't quite figured out how to create a brand new item, yet. I can place existing items and edit them by changing their properties, and it seems I can change their graphic/slot as well, but I can't figure out a way to change their name or create a brand new item to be added to the library yet.

All in all it looks like the editor I wanted out of this game, though! I don't really know how to describe it but I loved the editors in the old AoW games, I've never really played another TBS series where you can make such beautiful looking maps and even though I haven't dived too deep in to it yet, if I can get these item properties sorted out it looks like with the new scripting system I should be able to create the maps I always wanted to create in AoW games, where it's basically more of a singleplayer RPG/exploration game than an empire manager, and you explore the map collecting treasure and recruiting mercenaries instead of building a city.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
This is so GOOD! Upgradeable lords are back, improvements feel really worthwhile, combat is wonderful, domains feel really impactful, AI is better and a cunning rear end.

Everything about this so far has been a win, i've yet to find anything that has irritated me. Even the "one spell per turn" was more of a "Oh, thats good, spellcasters were abit strong anyway." change that i approve of.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

My game runs horrifyingly bad, changing any of the performance options seems to make absolutely no difference. It is especially apparent when trying to order my armies around, or just moving around the map. The game feels like it is moving at a sluggish crawl.

Intel i5-2300
16 GB Ram
AMD Radeon 6990 HD
Installed on my SSD

That should be easily enough, especially at lower settings. Have you checked the game is actually running using your graphics card? A lot of people have reported the game deciding it wants to run using integrated graphics chips.

A.C. posted:

Second, I haven't quite figured out how to create a brand new item, yet. I can place existing items and edit them by changing their properties, and it seems I can change their graphic/slot as well, but I can't figure out a way to change their name or create a brand new item to be added to the library yet.

Try:

1) From the menu: Settings -> Map Resources
2) Select "Item Resources"
3) Click the Add button

If you want to see resources for existing items, check the "Show Default Resources" box. This will list all of the read only resources, which you can use for reference. You can select one and create a duplicate of it, if you want to use it as a template.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

a!n posted:

In my mind none of these are alike in any way at all. But you have to put in the work to make their existence in the universe plausible, which can be a reason to omit them.

You're absolutely right in the sense that these are directly opposing factions (holy/undeath, fire/water, poison/frost wood/dark elves) but I feel like the lore ought to be respected, and more importantly that the developers had to cut certain aspects where they could. I'd love to hear from Gerblyn why they decided to make some of those decisions but overall I'm content with the solid game with room for expansions that we've gotten.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

:doh: Don't know how I glossed over Item Resources, I was looking for some kind of just "Items" option, that does it, thanks!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Gerblyn posted:

That should be easily enough, especially at lower settings. Have you checked the game is actually running using your graphics card? A lot of people have reported the game deciding it wants to run using integrated graphics chips.

I don't have an integrated graphics card. Performance also doesn't seem to change when i switch between borderless, windowed, fullscreen. Otherwise the game seems to run at 60 FPS, its just when i start scrolling around the map does the game drop to about ~10 fps.

I checked the AoW3 Logs folder, and noticed this in the first launcher log:

code:
[15:56:47]STATE [LoadProfiles]
[15:56:47][LANGUAGE]	Parsing file "LANGUAGE\TEXT\TITLE\LAUNCHER.8LD" in language "ENGLISH".
[15:56:47]
[15:56:47]D3D9 Adapter: 0
[15:56:47]Driver: ??????
[15:56:47]Description: ????????????s
[15:56:47]hMonitor: 0x89e90f75
[15:56:47]hMonitor Device Name: \\.\DISPLAY2
Is that supposed to be full of ??????'s?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 31, 2014

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
My guys kept dying on hard, so I thought I should turn down the difficulty. I can't find that option in the campaign -- welp new things are unfamiliar.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

I don't have an integrated graphics card. Performance also doesn't seem to change when i switch between borderless, windowed, fullscreen. Otherwise the game seems to run at 60 FPS, its just when i start scrolling around the map does the game drop to about ~10 fps.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what else to suggest beyond grabbing a DxDiag report and going over to make a report at our support forum:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/forum/help-support/

And no, I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be full of ?s either... I'm really not the right kind of person to ask what that might mean though, beyond maybe that you need to update your graphics drivers? That's a total guess though, I'm a gameplay programmer, I know very little of this kind of stuff.

Triskelli posted:

You're absolutely right in the sense that these are directly opposing factions (holy/undeath, fire/water, poison/frost wood/dark elves) but I feel like the lore ought to be respected, and more importantly that the developers had to cut certain aspects where they could. I'd love to hear from Gerblyn why they decided to make some of those decisions but overall I'm content with the solid game with room for expansions that we've gotten.

To be honest, I'm not sure how we selected the races we did. I would imagine the choice was made to get the main races in as a start, with the draconians being chosen to represent the lizard people faction. As people have mentioned, the only thing we're really missing is an ice based race, which gives Frostlings a good chance of being one of the first expansion races.

Daktari posted:

My guys kept dying on hard, so I thought I should turn down the difficulty. I can't find that option in the campaign -- welp new things are unfamiliar.

I think you'd need to restart that campaign map, you can only set the difficulty when the map begins.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I have a complaint!

This game is too pretty for my laptop, I had to turn it down to low quality :( Other than that, this is a lot of fun, just messing around with the campaign so far.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I want the Tigrans back, purely because of how angry the Cat Masters were.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
attacking some poo poo eating nerds throne city :allears:

dwarf warlord so good

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
If anyone is interested I'm trying to get a multiplayer game going. Check out the mumble information I linked earlier if you want to join.

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013
Playing as a Fire Master Sorcerer and I'm a bit befuddled by in-combat-magic. I've played through a 100+ turns turns and I still don't have any better spells to cast in combat than Fireball and Magic Fist. Where are the Tier 2, Tier 3 in-combat spells? I've researched so much stuff, but Fireball was the only in-combat spell that ever showed up for me to research.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

A.C. posted:

Is there any chance we could get an end turn confirmation in battle when your units haven't moved? I've now twice lost a battle because I accidentally clicked End Turn instead of Cast Spell. Entirely my fault and all, but it would be nice if there was a "Are you sure you want to end your turn? Six of your units have not moved." dialog.

I also did this and lost a battle to it. This is pretty close, time to break out the spells! Oh...:v:

Game is great so far though, put about 4 hours into a random map and that was about my only complaint. Another is poor searching in the Tomb of Wonders, e.g it won't find "health" or "hitpoints", you must search for "hit points". I was trying to figure out how units regen HP, and it seems like it's a flat 6hp/turn, being in domain or a city doesn't affect it. Takes a while to heal up high HP units if you don't have a spell or hero skill for it.

Oh, and I lost a rogue hero with backstab and first strike when I used his unicorn mount to phase behind an enemy unit. His attack did not count as flanking/backstab for unknown reasons and the counter-attack finished him off :(

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

attacking some poo poo eating nerds throne city :allears:

dwarf warlord so good

I'm playing a Dwarf Warlord with Two Water and One Destruction and it's nuts. As someone mentioned earlier there are very few units strong against cold damage, so I'm freezing anything that's tough in melee while my Dwarven Firstborn tear through everything else. A+ fun class, would play again.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
I'm still looking for enough people for multiplayer. Anyway, streaming here for a little while: http://www.twitch.tv/doink9731

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I'm cracking up at the religious orc dude in the campaign. Orc angels? check. Orc crusaders? check

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, and I lost a rogue hero with backstab and first strike when I used his unicorn mount to phase behind an enemy unit. His attack did not count as flanking/backstab for unknown reasons and the counter-attack finished him off :(

Was the target guarding? Guarding units cannot be flanked/backstabbed.

Lawrence Edward posted:

Playing as a Fire Master Sorcerer and I'm a bit befuddled by in-combat-magic. I've played through a 100+ turns turns and I still don't have any better spells to cast in combat than Fireball and Magic Fist. Where are the Tier 2, Tier 3 in-combat spells? I've researched so much stuff, but Fireball was the only in-combat spell that ever showed up for me to research.

If you look at the spell book, you'll see it's roughly divided into 4 sections:

1) Always researchable stuff:

Basic Seafaring -> Advanced Seafaring -> Advanced Logistics
Casting Points -> More Casting Points -> Etc
Class Units -> Next Class Unit -> Etc

2) 3 Empire Upgrades
3) 3 Global Spells
4) 3 Combat Spells

If you want more in combat spells, then research one of the last 3 things in the list.

Pro tips:

1) The game will always try and keep the above proportions of available research if it can. So, if you don't like any of the combat spells you see, research the cheapest one to get a new combat spell to research
2) The game will try and make sure that in each section, there will always be one skill from your main class, and one off-class skill (i.e. Avatar or Specialization). So, if you want a particular combat spell from a specialization, then you can greatly increase your chances of revealing it by only researching off-class combat spells.
3) You can make a builder unit in one of your cities and use it to make a road network, then research advanced logistics. This decreases the move cost of roads to 2MP per hex.

Darkrenown posted:

Game is great so far though, put about 4 hours into a random map and that was about my only complaint. Another is poor searching in the Tomb of Wonders, e.g it won't find "health" or "hitpoints", you must search for "hit points". I was trying to figure out how units regen HP, and it seems like it's a flat 6hp/turn, being in domain or a city doesn't affect it. Takes a while to heal up high HP units if you don't have a spell or hero skill for it.

Yes, it's 6HP a turn. If you have an Archdruid or Theocrat hero leading the army, they can learn skills to speed it up. You need to build a hospital in a city to speed up healing of units in the city. Also, if you have a unit with an innate healing skill (e.g. a human or dwarf priest) then it will auto heal the army it is in at the start of each turn.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 31, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Gerblyn posted:

I'm afraid I'm not sure what else to suggest beyond grabbing a DxDiag report and going over to make a report at our support forum:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/forum/help-support/

And no, I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be full of ?s either... I'm really not the right kind of person to ask what that might mean though, beyond maybe that you need to update your graphics drivers? That's a total guess though, I'm a gameplay programmer, I know very little of this kind of stuff.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/terrible-performance-when-scrolling/

Done.

I have tried everything, my roomate has a Radeon 6950, and he doesn't have this problem :psyduck:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Can anyone confirm that they've gotten it working at 1920x1080?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Manifest posted:

Yes, its what Im running right now

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Manifest posted:

Borderless, yeah.

I might keep streaming AOW3, it was pretty chill while it lasted. Also fixing my registration by logging on fixed my lack of pre order/deluxe levels, wheres the soundtrack at? If anyone knows.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Manifest posted:

Yup, I play at that resolution without any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

Borderless, yeah.

I might keep streaming AOW3, it was pretty chill while it lasted. Also fixing my registration by logging on fixed my lack of pre order/deluxe levels, wheres the soundtrack at? If anyone knows.

Are you streaming the gameplay somewhere or am I misunderstanding your post?

• Locked thread