Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nasgate posted:

Also, cursory glance shows there's no mod. I think someone with actual knowledge on the modding side could tell us if it's possible to alter the drop rates.
*psssshhhhhh*paging Gerblyn to the thread*chk*

It is moddable, yes, however the system is a little bit overengineered, so getting the effect you want is fairly complicated. I don't mind explaining it, but I'd rather not dump a big, technical wall of text in this thread about it. If someone wants to try it, I could maybe email/PM details or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Speaking of mods, is it possible to change sound effects? I'd like to quiet/remove/change the Defend sfx...

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

It is moddable, yes, however the system is a little bit overengineered, so getting the effect you want is fairly complicated. I don't mind explaining it, but I'd rather not dump a big, technical wall of text in this thread about it. If someone wants to try it, I could maybe email/PM details or something?

That sounds like the sort of information that would be great in a Steam guide or similar.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Speaking of mods, is it possible to change sound effects? I'd like to quiet/remove/change the Defend sfx...

Yeah, it's in:

PFX_Interface.rpk
Banner Guard FX (in slot 13)

And you need to delete/edit SFX_GameEventGuard in the particles list.

Theswarms posted:

That sounds like the sort of information that would be great in a Steam guide or similar.

It's a bit too specialized for a steam guide I think, also writing a whole guide about it is a lot more work that trying to explain it to one guy who's interested.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rad, thank you. Seems minor but you hear the Guard sound a lot and it's pretty loving loud.

I also found out the hard way that turning off army banners turns off defend icons, boo :saddowns: I liked my clean battlefield view.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nasgate posted:

The problem isn't the number of items, but the item pools for certain sites. The way it works is theirs tiers and rarities. So a farm is a common tier treasure site, and an ancient ruins is a strong tier treasure site. These decide the item pool you get from, the items themselves are divided by rarity.

You'll notice that common sites give more variety, because every common tier item is common rarity, this is also why you don' get doubles of strong tier weapons as often as strong tier torso pieces. All the strong weapons are common rarity, and two of the 4 torso pieces are common.

This wouldn't be as noticeable, except that a vast majority of sites you visit for treasure will be Strong. So you're going to keep getting that common leather corset, and only occasionally the cassok.
I think I've said this before, but the fancy names for the generic items make the duplicates more obvious. Getting two Wicked Leathers of the Harlot feels more duplicate-ey than just getting two Leather Armours would.

e: is there a list somewhere of item rarity? The ones I've found only show item tiers.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 21, 2016

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Anybody have tips for the best ways to beat the 3rd Halfling campaign mission? I think I spent too much time rooting out the undead city instead of rushing for the victory point sites because by the time I started to get around to them the Orc Sorcerer AI had way more powerful stacks than me and had captured two of them and I wasn't going to beat his lead.

I suppose I should should rush them immediately huh?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Splicer posted:

I think I've said this before, but the fancy names for the generic items make the duplicates more obvious. Getting two Wicked Leathers of the Harlot feels more duplicate-ey than just getting two Leather Armours would.

e: is there a list somewhere of item rarity? The ones I've found only show item tiers.

The tumblr wiki thing contains both. It divides them by tier then lists the rarity on the side.

Gerblyn posted:

That's totally fair, not many goons mod and I imagine fewer would want to mod something fairly minor like that. It's cool to know it's modable though.

From the sound of it, you guys did great with mod tools. Yeah it's probably more complicated to use than games built around modding tools being used, but you've rarely said that something is unmodable.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Quick question: if you have modded units added into the game do they appear in the campaigns too?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, it's in:

PFX_Interface.rpk
Banner Guard FX (in slot 13)

And you need to delete/edit SFX_GameEventGuard in the particles list.

It's a bit too specialized for a steam guide I think, also writing a whole guide about it is a lot more work that trying to explain it to one guy who's interested.

Well the guides do have a modding section, but writing a guide is a lot of work and there's not much point if only one person wants the info, yeh.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lobsterpillar posted:

Quick question: if you have modded units added into the game do they appear in the campaigns too?

Depends how they're added to the game in the mods. If they're just normal things that appear in production queues, then you should be able to build them and AI players will field them. For the rest, it's a bit trickier; there are sets of units that the system uses to determine what types of armies appear in certain locations. The modder might have added their unit to those sets, or they might not have.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Speaking of new units, how does the tac ai handle the t3 racial support mod?

Are they compartmentalized to each skill and unit type, so the ai "knows" how to use them?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Speaking of new units, how does the tac ai handle the t3 racial support mod?

Are they compartmentalized to each skill and unit type, so the ai "knows" how to use them?

If you mean this mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519448872

Then it's fine, I made sure the AI can understand all the abilities.

With other mods, it's kind of hard to say. The tactical AI can analyze abilities and figure out what they do, and if the ability matches a sort of template it understands, it can just use it. So, if you were to make an ability that worked like a dragon's breath weapon, the AI will probably recognize it and know how to use it.

What the AI will have trouble with is things which are completely unlike anything included in the main game/DLC. The biggest examples I can think of are:

1) Spells/abilities that are very situational will confuse the AI. For example, an ability which only reduces a unit's Fire Resistance might be a bad idea, since the AI won't know if there any units around with fire damage abilities that can make use of that debuff (this is why things like Skin Of Oil apply other penalties as well reduced fire resistance)
2) Abilities which have a down side as well as an upside are generally a no-no too, since the AI doesn't understand the whole risk-reward thing that's necessary to use such an ability properly.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I just picked this up recently - I know, super late - and this might be a useless questions because I'm sure no one's played the first High Elf campaign in a million years, even if they're looking at the thread. But I'm getting what seems like a bug in the 4th mission, where I need to do favors for religious goblins. The very first one doesn't complete when I take the watchtower, and then when I try to negotiate with those goblins it crashes to desktop. I can complete the other quests fine. I thought maybe I was missing something in the process of Declaring Watchtower Ownership, but the ctd convinced me something's not trigger correctly.

Is it a known issue generally, or does anyone have any idea?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Uh... Never heard of it actually. Gerblyn might be by to help you out, upload your save before you hit the crash someplace so you can share it in advance.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Stagger_Lee posted:

I just picked this up recently - I know, super late - and this might be a useless questions because I'm sure no one's played the first High Elf campaign in a million years, even if they're looking at the thread. But I'm getting what seems like a bug in the 4th mission, where I need to do favors for religious goblins. The very first one doesn't complete when I take the watchtower, and then when I try to negotiate with those goblins it crashes to desktop. I can complete the other quests fine. I thought maybe I was missing something in the process of Declaring Watchtower Ownership, but the ctd convinced me something's not trigger correctly.

Is it a known issue generally, or does anyone have any idea?

I ran through it a couple of months ago; I didn't have a problem with that mission or any of the others on the goblin level, but one scripted event the next mission glitched out; I think that something to do with vassals may have borked things.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I actually think the crash might have been unrelated, or anyway I can't repeat it.

The quest not completing was just because I'm an idiot who didn't read the quest and actually Raze the tower.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah that's an easy button to miss.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Stagger_Lee posted:

I actually think the crash might have been unrelated, or anyway I can't repeat it.

The quest not completing was just because I'm an idiot who didn't read the quest and actually Raze the tower.

Ah good.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah that's an easy button to miss.

It really is. :v:

Why no I totally didn't have something similar happen to me, why do you ask? :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a new official forums tournament is happening

http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/search-players-for-online-tournament-not-pbem/#post-241407

their decision on splitstacking is basically throwing their hands up in the air and going "gently caress it, 20 second rule is fine enough"

i don't think i'll be joining it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there a way to pump up dwelling count past "many"? can mods do something about it? i wanted to see if a dwelling focused game would be possible but many dwellings + few/none cities = 4 dwellings on a medium map, which is pretty disappointing

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

There is the extended settings mod, but some settings are a bit glitchy so be warned.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
http://aow.triumph.net/aow3-sales-milestone-the-new-game-and-gdc/

Incidentally, congrats to Triumph on hitting 500k vanilla sales and almost as many DLC! Best of luck on the new moba project with the romanceable cities or whatever it was.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i ended up making my own

just as well i guess since i don't see dwellings mentioned in that

here it is for anyone curious: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=637929043

i literally just changed one line of one pack so w/e but if anyone wants to play with double the number of dwellings there you go

nevermind the image i literally could not upload without putting one in

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

me and triskeli are doing a dwelling heavy game i am streaming you can watch it here

http://www.hitbox.tv/NINJEWTSUSA

double the usual number of dwellings, no indie cities otherwise, no city founding

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

madmac posted:

http://aow.triumph.net/aow3-sales-milestone-the-new-game-and-gdc/

Incidentally, congrats to Triumph on hitting 500k vanilla sales and almost as many DLC! Best of luck on the new moba project with the romanceable cities or whatever it was.

But senpai, you just built me new walls, I-m... I'm not ready for more!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They mentioned doing yet another patch.

Triumph :3:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

RRAgh, rough terrain! I'm only one more space from that dumb Bone Dragon :argh:

I'll be honest, I've been playing a reactionary game so far, I couldn't keep my intelligence game up underneath a wave of Wisps and Magic Fists.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Current thoughts: game got slowed way the gently caress down. Also those t4 guards really put a damper on things. Lots of empty space too. Considering bumping things up to 12 or even 16 dwellings for next game

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ninjewtsu posted:

me and triskeli are doing a dwelling heavy game i am streaming you can watch it here

http://www.hitbox.tv/NINJEWTSUSA

double the usual number of dwellings, no indie cities otherwise, no city founding

Trying to finish this game up! Come watch another Dreadnought get spanked!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

fairies are ok, i will admit this i guess

overhyped but not bad

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

ninjewtsu posted:

fairies are ok, i will admit this i guess

overhyped but not bad

they're fine on their own, but pretty brutal if you have a theocrat hero with mighty meek (and possibly seeker) to put on the cheapass fairies to turn them into T4 murder machines

and a squad of the nightshade ones can gently caress up someone's day, but are usually too expensive to actually pull off since dwelling production is kinda crap

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

against high res units they aren't great but they're pretty fantastic at mowing down lower tier units

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Hey, I don't know if anyone with modding experience still reads this thread but I'm trying to finish up a final mod I've been working on on and off for a while.

I'm trying to set evolve pathways for some units and can't figure out how or where to put the unit set so its selectable when I try to assign it. It just shows the unit set for various summons and full race unit sets.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Hey, I don't know if anyone with modding experience still reads this thread but I'm trying to finish up a final mod I've been working on on and off for a while.

I'm trying to set evolve pathways for some units and can't figure out how or where to put the unit set so its selectable when I try to assign it. It just shows the unit set for various summons and full race unit sets.

If you're adding a new set, then putting it into the same pack as the unit you're making evolve should work. PM me with more info if that doesn't work!

Edit: Also, make sure you're adding a category, not a set. I think the official guide has info on how to link sets to categories.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I was just going to ask what is a good setup for starting? Like I am used to Civ and while I understand this game goes for more of a Heroes of Might and Magic setup so I was just wondering what is a generally good build order?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Getting a builder's hall asap is never a bad idea. Most people probably go for units after that. Personally I prefer to go builders hall -> shrine -> temple -> lab before I start thinking about building units, access to supports is real nice and that mana will help fuel scouts.

I think class choice will matter a lot for this too. I'm a dreadnought main so I favor going in big on my throne and letting my starting army handle clearing mostly on its own, but historically this thread is dominated my warlord mains which means units units units. When I play rogue I tend to go for some very specific builds, which one depending on weather I'm going assassin focused or evolving scoundrels.

There's a lot of flexibility in early game build orders, I'd encourage you to come up with your own by figuring out some kind of long term goal and doing a few practice games to see if you can maximize reaching that. I'm probably the only guy who has a particularly rigid build order past like, turn 10 anyway, so don't stress out over it too much because generally you'd have to be prepared to deviate a lot in response to random map elements, and how you handle that will be a bigger determining factor than an optimized build usually.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SkySteak posted:

I was just going to ask what is a good setup for starting? Like I am used to Civ and while I understand this game goes for more of a Heroes of Might and Magic setup so I was just wondering what is a generally good build order?

There's a Beginner's Guide put out by Triumph. I also like this video series to be a decent walkthrough of opening strategies, but the host's patter could use some improvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-vPu2aeG2w

But yeah the build order really does hinge on race, class, and specialization choice. What are your preferred options?

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 2, 2016

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Triskelli posted:

There's a Beginner's Guide put out by Triumph. I also like this video series to be a decent walkthrough of opening strategies, but the host's patter could use some improvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-vPu2aeG2w

But yeah the build order really does hinge on race, class, and specialization choice. What are your preferred options?

I was thinking of trying the Druid option coupled with Earth and Wild Magic because the idea of playing some sort of dedicated druid seemed fun. Race wise I've been doing it with both Tigrans (Odd choice for druid I know, yet I wanted to try the newer races out) as well as Elves. Also the idea of Terraforming the land and summoning armies out of thin air was fun.

I guess my other query is, if you're getting a settler, when do you expand too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Quoting a relevant portion from one of madmac's guides then:

madmac posted:

In terms of City Building, the Druid can get by with comparatively little. Archers and Support Units and Mana/Research are all you particularly need, so going Barracks/Shooting Gallery, Level 1 Class Building, and Temple/Research chains is a good, affordable setup to shoot for in most towns. You won't be building anything more expensive then a Shaman either so Siege Workshop is generally good enough unless you are shooting for a Grand Palace.

Earth is better for tanky classes than very mobile/ranged classes like Druids, but Wild Magic is hilariously effective no matter what. As far as settling goes, only expand when you have enough of an army to garrison it, probably 3-4 archers if you're not expecting a big army. Look for treasure sites that give production or happiness: anything else can be gathered from fortresses. Or, if the treasure site gives you a good building: for an Arch Druid keep an eye out for Focus Chambers.

• Locked thread