Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

I'm working 60 hours a week until the middle of October and I've never played a single game of AoW III against another human being, but if you're still interested in easily slaughtering someone while showing off dumb mods I'd be willing to do a couple of games when I have free time again.

yeah i don't mind playing with a rookie! my steam info is: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ ninjewtsu/ hit me up whenever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

The decodence mods are good:

http://www.nexusmods.com/ageofwonders3/mods/8/

They add a few new leader decorations, and a bunch of new world map things. There's another mod which integrates it all with the RMG too. AFAIK it's mostly aesthetic, but it does look good.
Oh neat! New treasure sites!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so speaking of mods, here's something from the OF that is actually pretty cool: they're making a community expansion

http://www.the-battlefield.com/aow3/index.php?page=commnews&eingabenewsid=40

http://www.the-battlefield.com/aow3/index.php?page=commnews&eingabenewsid=47

they're adding a shadow realm layer, a dark elf dwelling, a new race (haven't mentioned what it is but there are non-undead archon models hanging around), and some new structures (taken from the aforementioned decodence mod)

they're actually creating new 3d models from scratch for the dark elves, it's pretty neat

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The problem with that shadow realm stuff is that it's incredibly busy; different tiles are not obviously and immediately distinct. It takes work to figure out what's going on terrain-wise

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ah, so they're staying true to AoW:SM

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Midweek Sale on AOW3: 50% off the collection, ends 4th of November.

If you're casually swinging by this thread, wondering if its good, yes it is but ideally get the collection.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They just patched it today? :psyduck:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

victrix posted:

They just patched it today? :psyduck:

Oh yeah!

quote:

After Age of Wonders III clocking 10s of millions of hours of gameplay, and getting the feedback to go with it, we are happy to officially release the official V1.705 "CAESAR" patch! This marks a new level of refinement for the game, especially for the master Age of Wonders 3 strategists, multiplayer gamers and modders. The variety of balance and bug fixes should benefit everyone.

Multiplayer and PBEM
Fixed an issue in multiplayer with the Production Resource Pickup. Which allowed a player to select both city upgrades if the game was continued from a save game.
Fixed an PBEM Ironman exploit where replacing delete/replacing save games, would in some cases not trigger an Ironman Notification.
Increased the PBEM save game size limit.
Fixed ironman exploit where a player could exit TC without triggering an ironman notification
Fixed an issue where it was possible to reload a multiplayer game with different seal settings than it was created with
Fixed an issue with PBEM Ironmode warnings.

Balance
When a unit has been resurrected during tactical combat, it will no longer give XP or casting points (via Essence Harvest) for the rest of that battle.
Leaders affected by swallowed whole can now be rescued by killing the swallowing unit
The Magical Structures Skill no longer gives the - unintended - Arcane Study bonus.
Frostling Scoundrels now have Projectile Resistance on Bronze, like the other Scoundrels.
Nymphs should no longer show up in rewards from Spring of Life locations.
One of the classes had a double frost protection hero upgrade, which was removed.

Stability
Fixed a couple of rare crash when loading a save game.
Fixed various crashes caused by removing mods which add new banner colours and icons
Fixed crash when city was being razed while at the same time a player had a 'Independent Can Discuss: ...' event
Fixed crash when clicking on empty specialization icon in diplomacy interface

Random Maps
Fixed a bug in RMG (online multiplayer) games where players would sometimes not start on the map layer that they had selected in the leader customization menu.
Fixed a bug in RMG where choosing 'Random' advanced setting for 'Resource Sites' (as well as other options with 'Random') would be a random value per player instead of the same random value for all players. Which meant that some players could start without any resource sites, while others start with many resource sites.
Choosing 'None' roads in RMG does not remove bridges from lava hexes anymore, because it made the map too hard to taverse.

Modding and Tools
Added a new unit property that can be used to change the strength of resistance checks. See: AoW Unit Property: Resist Strength Modifier.
Modders can now add a requisite to units who stolen from other players using mind control. The requisite is applied to the unit when battle ends.
Added support for additional workshop tags to PackageManager
Modding: All of the 'AoW City Operation' now correctly check their required properties
Map Editor now streams content cutting memory use considerably.
Mod Editor now only loads low-resolution textures, cutting memory use considerably.
Fixed rare bug in PackageManager where it would not correct detect previously publish workshop item.
Fixed an issue that prevented modders from editing XP pickups without causing instability
Fixed a crash caused by modders adding starting properties to city cores

Graphics and Glitches

Fixed a geometry gap in the city walls of arctic city battles.
Fixed a graphics glitch for one of the human male hairdos.
Linked the correct bird for the Halfling Eagle Rider.
Fixed the dragon animation so they correctly spawn particles when using the fire spit ability.

Text and Localization
Fixed a typo in the English Warp Domain description.
Updated to Poison Domain description to include which units are not valid targets for the spell's effect.
Updated the Ancient Ruins description to correctly indicate the reward for clearing this structure.
The Polearm ability description now - correctly - states it give a +4 damage bonus. It used to say +5 which was incorrect.
Fixed French typo in Cannon description
Fixed German Dark Pact Ability & Spell description
Fixed and clarified English loading screen text
Removed duplicate entries from the tome of wonders for the Fire Cannon and Movement Upgrade abilities.

Miscellaneous
AI no longer tries to dispel meditate, so it has casting points and mana left for more usefull things.
Tweaked Audio settings for sound effects reported to be too loud
Fixed an issue that caused the camera to zoom in during combat while the user was moving the camera, was supposed to be when the user WASN'T moving the camera
Fixed an issue where skills given by libraries didn't trigger the All Knowing empire quest. Library rewards will still not trigger the Sage empire quest.
Fixed an issue where Users could glitch the leader editor by selecting creation master, then changing to necromancer and back again.
Fixed issue where master specialization would not be correctly removed when removing adapt
Fixed an interface issues where properties would display 'Unknown Property Source!' when it could not find the source of the property. Instead of displaying the property's screen name.
Fixed an issue on certain Linux distributions where the checkboxes were not visible in the User Content tab of the Launcher.
Resolved an exploit in Diplomatic AI.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i got my buddy to buy this game off the sale and then we couldn't play together because of the connectivity poor deal and i'm so frustrated

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

i got my buddy to buy this game off the sale and then we couldn't play together because of the connectivity poor deal and i'm so frustrated

I'm afraid this stuff is totally outside my area of expertise, but have you tried joining each other over VPN (like Hamachi), then playing using the Local Network setting?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i said "we could do hamachi i guess?" and he laughed and said lets play another game instead

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

no one i know wants to deal with hamachi and to be honest neither do i. i don't blame any of them for not wanting to go through that to play a game that they don't even know they like yet

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yeah, no, Hamachi is not a reasonable solution anymore. If it doesn't work out of the box, it's nigh-impossible to get people to play something. :(

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Fair enough. This stuff is gets really fiddly because of the type of networking our game uses. To cut a long story short, we make a direct connection between your computer and the one belonging to your opponent, rather than letting you both connect to a central server. This should work fine, except various settings in people's routers and firewalls get in the way and mess it up. There's a thing called UPnP which is a protocol built into your router, which should fix most of these issues, but for various reasons most routers that support it have UPnP disabled by default.

I'm not sure if it's applicable in your situation, but you could try enabling UPnP on your router and seeing if that fixes it?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

doesn't help

i went on a port forwarding adventure like a month ago to try to fix this issue and could not get it to work.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 2, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Boo, sorry man :( Beyond emailing our tech support address I'm not sure what else to suggest. My knowledge of this stuff is limited.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I'm pretty sure somewhere in this thread are my travails trying to get the game working between my college buddies, with one of us in the US, one in Australia, and one in China. That was the worst, but the GFW was part of the issue.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

man glacial totem can be pretty brutual in long fights

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

some guys invited me to a game and 6 mods are required. figured i'd stream it.

http://www.hitbox.tv/NINJEWTSUSA

i don't have links to all the mods handy but here's the list of names:
griffiths MP mod
racial reskin
heros of datel
racial heritage
dynamic map gen
old man and sea

game hasn't started yet

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tune in now to watch some nailbiting action as seer and spock bicker over map settings

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

This is the funniest and saddest thing I've seen since the days of Kohan 1.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is a super cool community where we spend another 10 minutes arguing about the semantics of split stacking

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love this game so much but i hate trying to play it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lmao

I've had the stream sitting in a background tab for like half an hour now. What is holding it up?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

we just started

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lmao

I've had the stream sitting in a background tab for like half an hour now. What is holding it up?

what held it up was:
-endless bickering about map settings
-endless bickering on the semantics of stack splitting
-the game bugging out
-bickering about teams (ended up deciding on no teams at all)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

exciting development: host rage quits, bickering ensures over whether he actually rage quit or not, and how this should be handled

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that was kind of dumb, but the mods were neat

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Did you win?

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8DE2-uvQIo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

lol no, one guy got a hero at game start who had divine justicares, bestow iron heart, and convert at level 1. everyone teamed up against him and he responded with an endless flood of dark pact shadow stalkers.

i managed to kill 3 shadow stalkers and a hero, which was more permanent damage than anyone else was able to do. then the game ended.

i misplayed super bad and spent forever not doing anything, essentially. if i had actually gotten flame tanks online i could have maybe put up a good fight, but i'm dumb and bad at this game.

the frost aura + inflict freeze on elite on dual channel units with backstab is really nasty. i wish i could see the % chances on auras proccing. despite having force field cast on him, my knight still got frozen relatively quickly.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

lol no, one guy got a hero at game start who had divine justicares, bestow iron heart, and convert at level 1.

Please tell me this is if from a mod, because DJ on a starting hero is just broken :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Amazing. This is great on so many levels, especially his increasingly incredulous voice.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gerblyn posted:

Please tell me this is if from a mod, because DJ on a starting hero is just broken :(

There is a mod out there that give DJ on all heroes (I have it on, in fact)- it's not in the baser game, don't worry :)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

One of the mods adds 200 new heroes and they're all fairly busted

That one was just The Most Busted

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I scored a hero wirh fire bomb, sun shield, and inflict immolation. Then one with charged army and inflict stun. I thought I was doing well hero-pick wise

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

streaming again. mod list: Racail Heritage , Racial Class Reskin , V-mod custom hero , griffithe MP mod , old man and sea , Mystical Dwelling

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oh, question: a friend of mine just picked up AoW3 and DLCs while it was on sale, and is interested in playing cooperative games. What sort of settings/maps/scenarios are good for coop play? Also, he has the GOG version and I have the steam version - that shouldn't be a problem, right? It goes through Triumph's own multiplayer system for both version IIRC.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

try to keep the map size as small as is comfortable. try not to fall into the trap of making the map as huge as possible and stuffed full of as much junk as possible: the game will take forever and aow3's endgame is easily the least interesting part of the game

i'd recommend surface only + land to start with personally. otherwise you should just keep the map settings on default

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also yes, steam and gog versions are perfectly compatible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Oh, question: a friend of mine just picked up AoW3 and DLCs while it was on sale, and is interested in playing cooperative games. What sort of settings/maps/scenarios are good for coop play? Also, he has the GOG version and I have the steam version - that shouldn't be a problem, right? It goes through Triumph's own multiplayer system for both version IIRC.

I recommend playing with always ask for ai battles. If you're not having a 1v1 match, there's no reason to purposefully gimp yourselves in the occasional tough fight. Though definitely turn the battle view on if you do, staring at a frozen screen while your buddy defends his capital from a surprise boneyard attack is a quick way to lose interest.
This also gives you a chance to show him how to play,or weird/fun combos that are less newbie friendly like halfling warlord.

Other than that, imho if he wants to play a race that likes underground terrain, underground only is a bit more straightforward since the places you can go are limited, though it's a little harder because after turn 30 any soft dirt you dig through can be hiding a bone dragon stack.

• Locked thread