Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Shadowmorn posted:

I'm streaming, for anyone whos fence sitting, ill also be sitting in the steam group chat.

Not streaming until after i get a cuppa tea tho!

What's your stream URL? I need something to do to pass the time at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Malek posted:

What's your stream URL? I need something to do to pass the time at work.

http://www.twitch.tv/thyrork/

Yeah, Thyrork, i need to fix my SA name to match it. If anyone else is streaming, hit the thread with a link so i can OP it.

Kanfy posted:

Account activation worked now :toot:

I got "server busy" message.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
So many beards to choose from! (23 and 1 shaved)

Kinda funny looking how some of them float around the face if you select a small head shape.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shadowmorn posted:

Seems i have neither elven resurgence or dragon throne scenario's. Guess its tied to logging in? :shrug:

They aren't, they count as DLC. On GoG they were just separate download links. No idea about Steam, have you checked the DLC tab?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
This game looks gorgeous on ultra settings.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Deltasquid posted:

This game looks gorgeous on ultra settings.

For some reason selecting your hero seems to seriously hurt the framerate though, works smooth as butter until I click and do something with the hero.

E: Seems it's tied to moving the cursor. Maybe it's due to calculating movement or somesuch.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Its really cool how there are weird neutral cities now.

My city just got captured by a floating temple :stare:

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 31, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Woah, is there no reason to leave your main hero at your throne anymore? I'm doing the elf campaign, and I'm noticing no influence hexes.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Really long loading screen at start.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pomp posted:

Woah, is there no reason to leave your main hero at your throne anymore? I'm doing the elf campaign, and I'm noticing no influence hexes.

No, best starting strategy is to party your leader with your starting hero and army and kill people with him. He doesn't spend his upgrade points on magic, so you can just turn him into a murder machine as he levels.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I'm crashing a lot, when i try to open up menus and interface boxes. Probably something on my end, as everyone else seems to be doing fine

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I never thought Id see another age of wonders game when Triumph started producing those Overlord titles. I'm very happy atm

Pomp posted:

Yeah it brings together the best leadership stuff from the first and second game. One thing I'm disappointed in is that all your heroes can only cast one spell a turn

I suppose that stops the dropping of triple fireballs turn one

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 31, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MoreLikeTen posted:

I'm crashing a lot, when i try to open up menus and interface boxes. Probably something on my end, as everyone else seems to be doing fine

Are you running windows XP? You might need to turn your texture settings down if you are, or if you're on a 32bit operating system.

WYA posted:

One thing I'm disappointed in is that all your heroes can only cast one spell a turn

Yeah, it was a multiplayer balance thing and an anti-multi-hero doom stack thing. We needed to change it because otherwise it became impossible to attack multi-hero stacks in the late game. You'd attack, then the defending heroes would cast 3 or 4 spells and wipe out most of your army before you even made your first move.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

Windows 8, and I'm crashing when I try to open options from the main menu, or the research screen from ingame. Which is kind of weird, I don't see any overlap there.

edit: Settings all the way down, obviously

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 31, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Structures in your domain are claimed automatically, THANK YOU. I didn't even know that was something I wanted.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MoreLikeTen posted:

Windows 8, and I'm crashing when I try to open options from the main menu, or the research screen from ingame. Which is kind of weird, I don't see any overlap there.

poo poo, I don't know what to suggest then :( You'll have to report it on the support forums.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hmm... Looks like I need to mess around some with the video settings on my laptop. It wants to use the integrated card and not the 555M.

Edit: Forced it to use the 555M in the Nvidia settings, but will have to done down the overall settings as the framerate is horrible at 1920x1080.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 31, 2014

Soxorss
Jan 17, 2014
Been following this game for a few weeks and am considering buying it. Not a lot of reviews out there right now - Goons, should I buy this game?

Are there crippling issues/bugs on launch? Is it awesome? I am flying blind

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Taerkar posted:

Hmm... Looks like I need to mess around some with the video settings on my laptop. It wants to use the integrated card and not the 555M.
That might be what is causing problems for some people.

I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit. The game is running just fine on ultra. I didn't notice that slowdown when selecting my leader either that was mentioned.

I'm appreciating the Tome of Wonders quite a bit already.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What does the difficulty setting do for the campaign? Make the AI more aggressive?

Soxorss posted:

Been following this game for a few weeks and am considering buying it. Not a lot of reviews out there right now - Goons, should I buy this game?

Are there crippling issues/bugs on launch? Is it awesome? I am flying blind

It's awesome, buy it

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

WYA posted:

What does the difficulty setting do for the campaign? Make the AI more aggressive?

Yeah, it basically lets the AI cheat more so most of the fights against it will be harder.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MoreLikeTen posted:

edit: Settings all the way down, obviously

Can you check out if you have the same problem Taerkar does, actually? According to my GF there's a known issue with Win8 using integrated cards instead of proper GFX cards, it turns up with lots of games. If you're running with nVidia drivers, I found this in our FAQ:

For NVIDIA:
1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel.
2. Select “Manage 3D settings”.
3. In the “Preferred graphics processor” drop-down menu, select your NVIDIA processor.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and the program wasn't immediately listed, but it did show up under the 'add program' option. That'll list both the launcher and the actual executable so make sure you get the executable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm enjoying the goblin gently caress around game I started, Goblin Rogue, lots of destruction magic with exploration as well, it's on continent mode so the first thing I did was slaughter some Dwarfs who were controlling a coastal farm and mine combo and built my lovely mud city on their bones so I can finally be a goblin pirate empire.

GOTY.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
So how does this compare to the earlier Age of wonders games? I tried the earlier games, but could never really get into them because they were confusing and I didn't really understand how the game worked. Is the UI simpler and easier to learn? I'm kind of looking for a fun 4x fantasy game and I was a bit disappointed in Heroes 6. Does this game scratch that 4x itch?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I wish there was a tool tip to explain what features each combination of race and class gets. There's some icons, but I have no idea what they mean.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm loving the items in this game. Just pllaged some ancient ruins on my goblin sorcerer and I got a Unicorn Mount that lets him teleport around the battlefield and gives some extra resistances/weaknesses.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Welp, thought I had a lot more time and forgot to pre-order. :doh:

Looks absolutely amazing. I'm another guy that never thought we'd get an update to Shadow Magic.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
4m 42s left on my download! Then I have to go back to work. :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

snipermonkey posted:

So how does this compare to the earlier Age of wonders games? I tried the earlier games, but could never really get into them because they were confusing and I didn't really understand how the game worked. Is the UI simpler and easier to learn? I'm kind of looking for a fun 4x fantasy game and I was a bit disappointed in Heroes 6. Does this game scratch that 4x itch?

It plays pretty similarly to the earlier titles but maybe you just gave up on the games too quickly, AoW really isn't that complicated.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Playing the elven campaign on Hard, the second enemy city has 2 of those tier 4 theocrat Shrine of Smiting things. They rolled up to my 2 stacks and fired their 30 damage AoE, killing most of my army. The drat things have 100 hp, dunno what to do.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Can you check out if you have the same problem Taerkar does, actually? According to my GF there's a known issue with Win8 using integrated cards instead of proper GFX cards, it turns up with lots of games. If you're running with nVidia drivers, I found this in our FAQ:

For NVIDIA:
1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel.
2. Select “Manage 3D settings”.
3. In the “Preferred graphics processor” drop-down menu, select your NVIDIA processor.

I was just headed back here to post this, one of your devs had fixed it for someone on the steam community forums. At a glance, it appears to have fixed everything! Thanks for the quick response!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vodos posted:

Playing the elven campaign on Hard, the second enemy city has 2 of those tier 4 theocrat Shrine of Smiting things. They rolled up to my 2 stacks and fired their 30 damage AoE, killing most of my army. The drat things have 100 hp, dunno what to do.

Scoundrels will gently caress those things up, they're cheap as hell and have the Sabotage ability. A scoundrel at point blank range can do 70-80 damage to a shrine over 3 hits with sabotage. At least, if the scoundrels survive they will...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I loved the previous AoW games and preordered this - I decided to start by running a few of the beginning scenarios for practice before I get into multiplayer and custom games. Really liking the looks and feel of the game so far, aside from the pixelated leader models - seems like AA doesn't work on them?

One quality of life improvement I'd love to see in the UI, though? Moving the viewpoint by zooming, like in Supreme Commander. It just feels natural to be able to do that with the big overhead map at maximum zoom - just zoom out, point where you want to take a closer look, zoom back in. Click-and-drag and WASD scroll works too, I just find myself wishing for that.

Love how the game feels so far, either way, every penny well spent!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Some small graphical glitch I'd like to report: units that are on a mountain tile on the strategic map appear to be in front of units that are actually standing in front of it. So if it were:
X
Y

And unit X is on a mountain tile, it appears to float in front of unit Y.

EDIT: now with extra screenshot.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 31, 2014

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The guard mode hotkey doesn't seem to work and confirm movemet cannot be set.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

How do I register my Steam product key without linking my Steam and Triumph accounts?

I want to reduce my exposure to this Triumph account business to a minimum.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Yep. Got the feeling the devs really got the genre and now I know I was right. The game is absolutely excellent. A worthy sequel.

snipermonkey posted:

It absolutely does scratch that itch. There are a few good UI improvements over the older games, especially in the "explains what the gently caress this is" front. If you've played 4x games or Civilization before you should have a handle on what you're doing by the end of the first campaign mission. Just remember to mouse over things you don't understand and that F1 brings up an excellent in game manual thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Unless goons start reporting it sucks I am definitely going to buy this game after a few patches. I played the first Age of Wonders so much as a kid.

Still a bit disappointed that the Frostlings and the Azrac and all of those crazy races are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Game is good so far, just been messing about in the campaign. I'm having some display bugs at 1440p though, some of the tooltips are coming up as black boxes. Anyone else have an issue?

• Locked thread