Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'm interested in this game but I'm having a hard time grasping what kind of game it is. Is it Total War in a fantasy world? Is it Heroes of Might and Magic? Is it Civ with more detailed battles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Foxhound posted:

I'm interested in this game but I'm having a hard time grasping what kind of game it is. Is it Total War in a fantasy world? Is it Heroes of Might and Magic? Is it Civ with more detailed battles?

Civ with more detailed battles is probably the best way to describe it. The streamer I was watching earlier, whose from here but I can't remember his name, said it was Civ-like gameplay with the battles being like XCOM:EU.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Foxhound posted:

We got a goon-run livestream right here if you want a look, but he's auto-resolving most of the combat.

http://www.twitch.tv/doink9731

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Foxhound posted:

Age of Wonders (the series, in general) is the best Heroes of Might and Magic game since HOMM2. I don't agree with any Civ comparions, they're both hex based empire builders but that's about where the connection ends. AoW is entirely focused on fortifying cities, recruiting units and heroes, exploring for treasure, and waging war, like HOMM. Battles play out like HOMM but on much more interesting maps with many more interesting unit abilities.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 31, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Phlegmish posted:

Are you streaming the gameplay somewhere or am I misunderstanding your post?

I was! Will do more tomorrow, stopped because people are sleeping now.

Foxhound posted:

We have doink's one, and also http://www.twitch.tv/thyrork/b/515989199

The first half an hour should cover most of your questions. I was tinkering with my mic and sound settings most of the night. It starts with a major seige of an enemy captial so that should be entertaining.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Civ with more detailed battles is probably the best way to describe it. The streamer I was watching earlier, whose from here but I can't remember his name, said it was Civ-like gameplay with the battles being like XCOM:EU.

Yeah that was me. Civ 5, in a fantasy setting, with XCOM-like combat.

vvvv :ohdear:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 31, 2014

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
I lost my Throne city to independents. The embarrassment!

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Doink9731 posted:

I lost my Throne city to independents. The embarrassment!

Happened to me too during my first game :v:, those independent marauders are dicks.

Finished my first evening mucking around on a random map, so far it feels pretty much as a solid and touched up AoW. I miss casting anywhere within my domain (I really loved that wizard-king feel) but otherwise I have no real complains, the leader/hero class system is neat and the way domain claims your outlying buildings is great.

Slight performance issues on the world map, but I am running on an old duo core, battles and everything else is smooth, loading times are minimal. Can't wait to get some more game time in.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My favorite thing about this game right now is that spiders use ladders to climb walls

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
This game fuckin' rules.

Also, Dwarf Firstborn are ridiculously strong.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there an actual tech tree somewhere ingame?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just got my entire early-game army (A tier 3, 2 tier 2s, a hero and 2 tier 1s) wiped out by 3 neutral Wisps :stare: That Shock on attack is ridiculous. This game really doesn't gently caress around with unit counters, Wisps, for being such a weak/spammable unit, are strong as heck against anything that relies on physical.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 1, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
What's the difference between Classic turns and Simultaneous?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

What's the difference between Classic turns and Simultaneous?

In classic turns, each player takes their turns in order. In Simultaneous, all players take their turns at the same time and the turn ends after all players click End Turn.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Like: Keeping the same funny seduction sound effect from the first game

Dislike: Having my elf lady hero seduced by goblins and ending the campaign right away

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

WYA posted:

Dislike: Having my elf lady hero seduced by goblins and ending the campaign right away

Whelp, once you go green, you never go back.

Any idea how long the activation e-mails take to send / arrive? Nevermind, saw the thread.

Malek fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 1, 2014

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Anyone have a good idea of how morale works? I get that some units prefer evil/good leaders and every race has preferred terrain types. What about mixing and matching units of different races? Am I hamstringing myself by hypothetically putting six troops of different races in a group? And if so, is it actually possible to be good aligned if you have to convert every city or be gimped?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Wow, I've been having a blast with this game. In some way it really gives me the same feeling I got when playing the first AoW as a kid and thinking it was the best thing ever.

My one gripe is that there doesn't seem to be a way to make the todo-notifications for city production go away, especially annoying since they come before army movement notifications, making me liable to miss important stuff I actually should be doing. Surely there must be a way to tell the game "YES I KNOW all my cities are producing merchandise, now shut up and tell me what units I need to move" that I'm just missing?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Woke up this afternoon, downloaded it, and decided to take a quick look before diving back into work.

Well that took longer than I intended. First impression is positive, though I may have to turn down the graphics settings.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covski posted:

Wow, I've been having a blast with this game. In some way it really gives me the same feeling I got when playing the first AoW as a kid and thinking it was the best thing ever.

My one gripe is that there doesn't seem to be a way to make the todo-notifications for city production go away, especially annoying since they come before army movement notifications, making me liable to miss important stuff I actually should be doing. Surely there must be a way to tell the game "YES I KNOW all my cities are producing merchandise, now shut up and tell me what units I need to move" that I'm just missing?
Set to "merchandise" and hit the "infinite repeat" button.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry boss, I'll get to removing those displays wednesday. Late wednesday.

A little niggling thing, if you move the camera high enough you can look behind the big buildings in cities to see a chunk of land that has nothing on it, it would of otherwise been hidden behind the large building.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Splicer posted:

Set to "merchandise" and hit the "infinite repeat" button.

It feels like a bit of a workaround (I'd rather I could just dismiss them for the one turn), but I guess it's a pretty nifty solution, thanks! :)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think saying Age of Wonders is similar to Heroes of Might and Magic is the best way to think of it. The only really big difference is that you found cities instead of just discovering existing ones.

So I'm getting quite a lot of CTDs. Is it because of having high graphics and ONLY JUST enough RAM?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I never thought I'd see another AoW game but it's here and it's magical. :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well, it seems Local Multiplayer doesn't work at all curiously. So much for playing this game today :smith:

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

A.C. posted:

Age of Wonders (the series, in general) is the best Heroes of Might and Magic game since HOMM2. I don't agree with any Civ comparions, they're both hex based empire builders but that's about where the connection ends. AoW is entirely focused on fortifying cities, recruiting units and heroes, exploring for treasure, and waging war, like HOMM. Battles play out like HOMM but on much more interesting maps with many more interesting unit abilities.

That's how I felt about AoW 1, AoW 2 felt like it went to far up it's own butt, as a part of the fun of HoMM2 was that it was tactical candyland. Dealing with 3 levels of underground made it no fun. I picked up HoMM6, but found it no fun, the opening cut scene just killed it for me... I just threw money at this, hopefully it will be more like AoW1 which I loved.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Taear posted:

I think saying Age of Wonders is similar to Heroes of Might and Magic is the best way to think of it. The only really big difference is that you found cities instead of just discovering existing ones.

It certainly has similarities, but I disagree strongly that that is the only large difference. There's also research, production being multiple turns, having to choose between building units or buildings, being able to have multiple stacks in the same battle, tactical combat working very differently, army compositions not just being massive numbers of sprites or whatever, etc. So far, I think the most similar game I've played to AoW is Fallen Enchantress.

Both AoW and HOMM are awesome games, but outside of being fantasy TBSes with tactical combat, I don't see a whole lot of similarities.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

A.C. posted:

I just got my entire early-game army (A tier 3, 2 tier 2s, a hero and 2 tier 1s) wiped out by 3 neutral Wisps :stare: That Shock on attack is ridiculous. This game really doesn't gently caress around with unit counters, Wisps, for being such a weak/spammable unit, are strong as heck against anything that relies on physical.

You aren't kidding. My air sorcerer started out with it, I cast a couple just as free scouts and one got into a fight with some tier 2 unit and won. Got a bit lucky with the procs but still :stare:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Covski posted:

It feels like a bit of a workaround (I'd rather I could just dismiss them for the one turn), but I guess it's a pretty nifty solution, thanks! :)

You can just right click the notification when it pops up at the right hand side, which puts it at the back of the notification list. Just do that for all of them until it just cycles through "Choose city production!" for all of your cities.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I tried a dwarf dreadnought and found the fact that my first summon spell makes a magical kamikaze spy/surveillance drone hilarious for some reason. Steampunk all day erryday!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So should I just be infinite city spamming here? How hard should I push to have bonus tiles in my city radi? They seem like nice bonuses, but I assume a city that has no access to bonus tiles is still worth building?

Why would I want to 'migrate' a city to my race? Is there some reason I wouldn't want to have multi-cultural armies/extra unit variety?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fintilgin posted:

Why would I want to 'migrate' a city to my race? Is there some reason I wouldn't want to have multi-cultural armies/extra unit variety?

Units can get mad if they're sharing armies with other races. It reduces morale and makes things hit less hard and etc.
You can get around it in ways, but it's not always best to spread yourself around with that in mind.

quote:

Both AoW and HOMM are awesome games, but outside of being fantasy TBSes with tactical combat, I don't see a whole lot of similarities.

I guess being fantasy 4x games with tactical combat is enough to make them similar to me, since not many other games exist that are like that.
I'd compare Fallen Enchantress more to Warlock, although I really didn't like Enchantress.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 1, 2014

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Enjoying the game, is it supposed to chug this badly though? It doesn't seem that graphically intensive, but anything higher then Low has it running really uncomfortably slowly.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
If anyone is having terrible performance with the game and has an AMD card i suggest grabbing the newest AMD drivers. It has made a world of difference for me.

The game is fantastic. A few things i really do not understand tho:

- How do i tell the enemy range for ranged attacks? I thought it was the little circles shown in the hexes, but apparently its not?
- How to arrange my formation before the battle starts. The game seems pretty gungho on sticking my swordsmen behind my leader.
- I was exploring a dungeon with my hero, and lost him. However i won the battle, apparently there were a bunch of items for completing the dungeon. But since my hero was dead they didn't go into his inventory (i checked when he respawned).
- I dont understand how to tell what counters what. Some fairies or wisps or whatever they were called basically destroyed my entire army.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I love how there are neutral cities with non-player races that have their own unique units/buildings, and when you can capture them you can produce them and go up the (smaller) tech tree for that race.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
Okay. Here's the deal. I have myself and one other person willing to play a multiplayer game, but one versus one is kind of silly.

That's where you come in. Would you come play with us?

Please?

While this whole impassioned plea thing sounded better in my head, I can guarantee at least 15 minutes of ineptitude, snide remarks, and jokes that are sure to fall flat.

So come and join the Steam Group and join us on mumble for a thoroughly regrettable experience.

Edit: I'm also streaming again at http://www.twitch.tv/doink9731

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Is there any reason to create a triumph account for single player? The option to not give up another e-mail and password to get stolen is nice, though it is pretty goddamn annoying to have to click past it every time.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Slo-Tek posted:

Is there any reason to create a triumph account for single player? The option to not give up another e-mail and password to get stolen is nice, though it is pretty goddamn annoying to have to click past it every time.

Don't think there's a reason to make one if you're not going to play online, but really what's the issue with making an account for it? I guess my suggestion, to you, is to not be a sperg.

Just use your e-mail and a random password you'll remember. I can't comprehend how that is a issue for someone.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Babyface Mingo posted:

Just use your e-mail and a random password you'll remember. I can't comprehend how that is a issue for someone.
It's annoying to remember passwords for a billion different things.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm a stats nut, so I spent some time comparing the basic racial units and bonuses. Shallow overview if you're having a hard time deciding on your race/class combo.

Humans:
All units have Mariner. (No Disembark Penalty) Mostly average to weak units across the board.
Longswordsmen are pretty good basic infantry.
Priests have holy damage/resist and the strongest heal ability which grants will power as a side effect.
Basic Cavalry is meh but Knights are kickass.

Elves:

All units have Forestry and Blight Vulnerability 20%. A handful of units also have Night Vision.
Units generally trade a little bit of defense for extra resist.
Very strong (Best) Ranged Units, including good shock damage/resist.
Storm Sisters have a powerful stun move, but no heals or buffs.
Infantry is below average.
Get sweet-rear end Unicorn Cav with Armor Piercing and Teleportion.
Top end unit is one of only two flyers, decently tough.

Orcs

All Units have Night Vision, like +1 HP and lowish Resist.
Pretty Poor ranged/caster units, although their Razorbows can Bleed and the Orc Priest has a lot of HP.
Crazy kickass offensive infantry, in contrast to the Dwarves equally good but more defensive units. Orc and Dwarf infantry basically curbstomp their equivalents.
Orc Shock Troopers have Huge HPs and Attack along with Bleed and Tireless, giving them unlimited AoO and retaliation attacks.
Orc Black Knights are also very strong. Toughest basic Cav and equipped with polearms to murder other horsies.

Goblins

All Gobbo units have Night Vision, Cave Crawling, Wetland Crossing, and 60% (or higher) Blight Resist
Most of their units do primary or secondary blight damage but have really poor HPs, and slightly lower def/resist
Goblin Caster can dish out blight vulnerability, making Gobbo on Gobbo fights take slightly less then eternity.
Infantry is slightly less garbage then you'd expect, and basic sword units have concealment underground.
Ultimate Unit is Big Beetle, pretty tough and can still tunnel and crush walls with ease.

Dwarves

All Dwarf units get Mountaineering, Cave Crawling, Night Vision, and Blight Resistance 20%
Medicore ranged and Cav, holy poo poo so awesome infantry.
Flame Priests are oddly tanky and provide a good source of flame damage/resist along with a bit of healing.
Ultimate Unit is Firstborn, obscenely tough and immune to a whole list of crap.

Draconians

All units gets Fast Healing, Fire Protection 20/Cold Weakness 20
Overall, tons of fire damage and resistance.
Slightly low Defense/Resist on most units
Basic Ranged unit trades multiple attacks for a small fire aoe.
Elder hands out bonus morale/flame resist/flame strike.
Fairly average offensive oriented infantry.
Cav is Eh, Draconian Flyers are arguably the best flying unit and pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Alright, got to sit down and play for a few hours! Wrote up a huge list of nitpicks/bugs/etc for you Gerblyn, I'm sure you're super excited!

Bugs:
  • When moving a settler underground through a normal entrance, using the 'm' key to confirm movement, the graphic appeared to fly off down and to the right (presumably where it was going once it got underground).
  • When first launching the game and clicking the button in the middle (quick start/resume I guess it is?), it started me on the second mission of the commonwealth.
  • On the results screen, the time slider started at the end of the game but the score was showing for the beginning.

Clicking on things:
  • Buttons for clicking on things to get more info is inconsistent. You can right click on things to get more info SOME times but not others. Examples:
  • In the Leader list, LMB selects but RMB does nothing. But on the Army List, you can LMB to select the army, or RMB to bring up the details for that unit.
  • RMB your portrait in the lower left does nothing, I would imagine it should bring up your leader's details.
  • LMB on the army view (at the top) brings up the details, but RMB does nothing. That's backwards!
  • You can RMB some things to bring up the Tome of Wonders page for them. But not for others? You can't RMB on spells in the spellbook to go to their page, and you can't RMB on a skill in a unit detail sheet to go to the Tome of Wonders.

• Split armies buttons are kind of inconsistent, but that might be intentional? When the movement boxes are Blue, LMB will select only the unit you click. But if they are all green (which should in theory be the same) then LMB will deselect only the unit you click. This is easy to adapt to and might be entirely intentional, but it does seem a little confusing.
  • 'Next Army' key seems inconsistent, it won't switch to armies that have used some (but not all) of their movement points?

GUI:
  • Tool tips should pop up instead of fading in, or should be an option if possible. I hate slow rear end tool tips!

• Terrain Tool Tip indicates "Base Movement Cost" but could also indicate any "Adjusted" cost when the party has a movement cost bonus/penalty.
  • When hovering the mouse cursor to move on the strat map, it should indicate how many movement points it costs to move there. I understand that different units having different movement traits may make the cost different for different units, so showing a single number at the mouse cursor might not be an option. So alternatively, you should show the cost at the top of the screen under the units current movement points! Honestly, this is probably the biggest thing on my list right now, it's REALLY annoying to not have any easy way to tell how many movement points it will take to move a certain distance.

• There's a pause when trying to pan the map with the mouse. I guess that's probably intentional? I don't like it myself but I can see why you'd have it.
  • No 'zoom to cursor' option, would be nice to have.

• Capitals should be indicated on the paper map. Or at least, YOUR capital should be anyway.

• Flags need to be easier to read. Yeah yeah I went on about this before. On the strat map, the number of units is hard to read at certain angles, especially if the other player has a funky color scheme. Making them bigger would probably help, but a better solution might be to find some way to billboard the flag so that they always properly face the screen? Or instead of a number, use a graphical indicator, like a big tick on the flag for each unit.
  • Flags in tactical combat turn transparent when the unit's turn is done. But they don't on the strat map. Flags should turn transparent when a unit has either used all it's movement points, or been set to 'pass this turn'. And on this note, I feel that the transparent effect would be a little more pronounced maybe.

• Unit Medals should have unique icons, they're just color swaps but it'd be much better if they looked different. Make them a Star or Shield or something!

• Evolve trait for units should specify which unit it evolves into. Perhaps in an icon to the right that you could click on to view the upgrade unit type?

Tome of Wonders:
  • Bringing up Tome of Wonders should put the focus on the Search entry box. So I could hit F1 then immediately start typing. Currently the focus is still on the game map!
  • Needs a back button. Ideally you could map the 'back' mouse button too.
  • Building entries mention the units they produce, but they aren't links to those entries.

Combat:
  • Unit movement animation speed should be faster in general, attack speed is fine though. Ideally there should be a global 'animation speed' choice like there was in previous games.
  • Ranged units could stand to animate their attacks faster. Right now they always wait for the previous ones to finish, but they could start up the next one a little earlier, like in previous AoWs.

• When choosing to melee in combat, you should be able to point from a certain side to attack from that side. I believe HOMM and King's Bounty have this? Eador does as well. It's very convenient to have, especially since attacking from different sides matters so much in this game.

• Ranged attack indicators for 'out of effective range' and such, mentioned this one before but it definitely bugs me in game even more than I expected.
  • When selecting an enemy unit in combat, it shows you possible melee targets or the range of their missile attacks. But knowing just the range on their missile attacks is only so useful, it should also show the max possible range after movement is included, because this is CRITICAL to know when fighting against shoot+shooters.

• Combat grid (F4) doesn't match up with the colored tiles, it's slightly off. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but it looks weird.

Whew that's a lot. That's mostly minor nitpicky things of course, and please correct me if I'm wrong about anything. Overall, enjoying the game a lot so far! It's very different from AoW1/2/SM but so far I'm generally liking the changes.

Oh yeah, quick question for anyone who picked up the GoG version, has anyone figured out how to get the game to run with the Steam Overlay correctly? If I run the game via the main .exe then I get the overlay but I can't be signed into my account. If I run it through the launcher, then the Overlay doesn't attach to the main .exe when it launches.

Edit: Added a couple more bugs.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 1, 2014

• Locked thread