Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I'm getting black tooltip boxes at 2560x1440, and very fuzzy fonts:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244548435
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244548501

Some stuff is clear, but most is fuzzy. Geforce GTX780 with latest drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dud root posted:

I'm getting black tooltip boxes at 2560x1440, and very fuzzy fonts:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244548435
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244548501

Some stuff is clear, but most is fuzzy. Geforce GTX780 with latest drivers

Someone posted about this earlier in the thread, the dev response was that it's a bug that happens with resolutions greater than 1920x1080 and they're looking for a fix. 1920x1080 works fine so if you can stomach that/it doesn't look too weird on your monitor, go with that for now and wait for a patch.

e: Here's the quote, you can follow it if you want to get to the full discussion but there's not a whole lot more to be said:

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, there's a known issue if you play at a resolution about 1920x1080 that the UI scaling messes up :( I'm afraid you'll just have to turn the resolution down until we can figure out a fix for it.

As far as the fuzzy fonts, I'm not sure if that's related, but they're clear for me at 1920x1080.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 1, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Has anyone successfully run a game of multiplayer so far?

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Has anyone successfully run a game of multiplayer so far?

Yeah I'm running one right now.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I have plugged in 9 hours of gameplay already. I fear for my soul

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are their racial teir fours, and is the teir 3 the only one for a race?

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
Game is good, AI is ruthless, it's legitimately absurd Age of Wonders is back. My main complaint so far is that it's really irritating to have any global spell you cast just get immediately dispelled. Also is there a way to set waypoints on the tactical map or something? Mainly to be able to choose which tile a unit with Charge charges into for flanking.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Loving the game so far and played a few hours but have been forced to leave my house and go to university but as a new player to the franchise i was a little overwhelmed with city expansions and what to build in them.

Does anybody have a few tips for expansion and build orders or do i just build everything everywhere.

I've been playing as a dwarf dreadnought

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus, the campaign is kicking my rear end. I was so complacent after the first mission (I'm doing elves first) where the AI pretty much sat in the corner with his thumb up his rear end, that the second one is suddenly kicking my rear end with one of the AI enemies sending in small groups of succubi to swarm my poorly defended back cities and seduce all the defenders, and when I run back to clean up, sending in a giant deathswarm to kill one of my heroes in the front (which makes me lose instantly due to objectives). In the mean time, I gave up entirely on the elven cities in the bottom left, the goblin is taking all my attention and they just got pillaged by orcs instantly, heh.

Also, surprisingly, Archdruid summon animal creatures can summon undead animals, that get full benefit from all your animal talents. Huh. I've got a 'carrion bird' that's mad at me for not being evil, now.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 1, 2014

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Combat:
[list]
[*]Unit movement animation speed should be faster in general, attack speed is fine though. Ideally there should be a global 'animation speed' choice like there was in previous games.
[*]Ranged units could stand to animate their attacks faster. Right now they always wait for the previous ones to finish, but they could start up the next one a little earlier, like in previous AoWs.

[*]When choosing to melee in combat, you should be able to point from a certain side to attack from that side. I believe HOMM and King's Bounty have this? Eador does as well. It's very convenient to have, especially since attacking from different sides matters so much in this game.
Edit: Added a couple more bugs.

Just to help out with these:

There's buttons at the bottom you can use to speed up the AI turns, which helps some with the slow animations. Not quite the same, but worth knowing about.

Also, what's to stop you from just moving to the hex you want to be in, then clicking on the enemy to attack? That's what I've been doing and I haven't had any issues.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WYA posted:

Are their racial teir fours, and is the teir 3 the only one for a race?

There is no racial Tier 4 unit. All normal tier four units are built/summoned via your class (Rogues do not get a natural tier four at all). All Tier 3s beyond the regular racial one come from the classes.

There are still a ton of other tier 3/4 units you can get in various ways. They're just not guaranteed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doink9731 posted:

Yeah I'm running one right now.

Did you have to forward any ports to get their servers to load or...?

I've been unable to get anything but static from them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Did you have to forward any ports to get their servers to load or...?

I've been unable to get anything but static from them.

Have you tried this?

http://ageofwonders.com/support/networking/

It looks like the support section could be better organized.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Played a test match as a Human Dreadnought, I am severely disappointed that the engineer's Rapid Reload doesn't work on musketmen :colbert:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The campaign doesn't save on scenario completion, nor is there a campaign scenario selector. That's a pretty big oversight.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
So far this game seems like Fallen Enchantress, but actually good. I'm diggin it so far! Framerate's a little iffy though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

Anyone have a good idea of how morale works? I get that some units prefer evil/good leaders and every race has preferred terrain types. What about mixing and matching units of different races? Am I hamstringing myself by hypothetically putting six troops of different races in a group? And if so, is it actually possible to be good aligned if you have to convert every city or be gimped?

There are no morale penalties for mixing units of different races or alignments, so no you're not hamstringing yourself. Basically unit morale is:

- Empire Happiness
- I won or lost a battle
- I like/dislike this terrain
- Leader is different alignment to me
- Spells and hero skills

Taear posted:

So I'm getting quite a lot of CTDs. Is it because of having high graphics and ONLY JUST enough RAM?

Yes, I'm afraid so. The game eats RAM like crazy, so you'll need to reduce texture detail settings.

UberJumper posted:

- How do i tell the enemy range for ranged attacks? I thought it was the little circles shown in the hexes, but apparently its not?
- How to arrange my formation before the battle starts. The game seems pretty gungho on sticking my swordsmen behind my leader.
- I was exploring a dungeon with my hero, and lost him. However i won the battle, apparently there were a bunch of items for completing the dungeon. But since my hero was dead they didn't go into his inventory (i checked when he respawned).
- I dont understand how to tell what counters what. Some fairies or wisps or whatever they were called basically destroyed my entire army.

- The circles on the ground show the range of the unit's ability from where it's stood. It can still move and shoot from a different position.
- You can't :( We used to have deployment, but it was removed because a bunch of people here didn't like it
- Heroes drop all their items when they die, move a unit over the item sack on the ground, click the sack icon and the click the courier button. This will let you mail the items to any of your heroes.
- Wisps are countered by ranged units, preferably ranged units with non-physical attacks. Swarm Darters (goblin archers) annihilate wisps, but any ranged unit will do it.
- Fairies are countered by units with high resistance, their attacks do far less damage to units with 11+ resistance. :siren:DO NOT ATTACK FAIRIES WITH ORCS:siren:

Slo-Tek posted:

Is there any reason to create a triumph account for single player? The option to not give up another e-mail and password to get stolen is nice, though it is pretty goddamn annoying to have to click past it every time.

If you're using a steam version, you need the account to access DLC, otherwise no.

Schach posted:

Also is there a way to set waypoints on the tactical map or something? Mainly to be able to choose which tile a unit with Charge charges into for flanking.

I'm afraid not, but the charging thing doesn't care if you move in one action or multiple actions. You can just move the cavalry 3 times in one turn, then atteck, and you should still get the charge bonus.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Alright, got to sit down and play for a few hours! Wrote up a huge list of nitpicks/bugs/etc for you Gerblyn, I'm sure you're super excited!

Looks like we should have invited you to join the beta! I've added all your feedback to a big document I'm making collecting everyone's feedback. Thanks!

Baron Porkface posted:

The campaign doesn't save on scenario completion, nor is there a campaign scenario selector. That's a pretty big oversight.

The game generates an autosave at the moment you complete a campaign, I have a feeling this would be wiped if you were to proceed to the next campaign and press end turn though. I've booked a case for the patch for this, because you're right that it's a big oversight.

CaptCommy posted:

There's buttons at the bottom you can use to speed up the AI turns, which helps some with the slow animations. Not quite the same, but worth knowing about.

If you right click while a unit is doing something during tactical combat, the game will speed up to 4x speed until that unit's action is over.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 1, 2014

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Started my first game, picked a well worn cliche - Dwarvern Dreadnaught. I'd agree that Firstborn are beastly, I'd love to be able find a way to get underground, how do I do that?
Do I have to find an underground entrance or am I missing something and simply able to dig through with my superior dwarvern mining know-how? :psydwarf:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do rally points exist? Scenario 2 is super tedious without them.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Neif posted:

Started my first game, picked a well worn cliche - Dwarvern Dreadnaught. I'd agree that Firstborn are beastly, I'd love to be able find a way to get underground, how do I do that?
Do I have to find an underground entrance or am I missing something and simply able to dig through with my superior dwarvern mining know-how? :psydwarf:

If you're playing on a randomly generated map, make sure the "Underground" box is checked.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What's the difference between this and Warlocks 2? I haven't really played any of the previous games in either series either.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ AoW3 has tactical combat for one, Warlock2 is a bit more focused on building cities and has onmap Civ 5 style combat.

Neif posted:

There are fixed cave entrances, but if you started above ground as a dwarf I would guess there is no underground on that map.

Gerblyn posted:

Was the target guarding? Guarding units cannot be flanked/backstabbed.

Possible. Is guard status shown anywhere if you didn't watch their guarding shield animation? If not, seems like it should be when you mouseover them.

I'm slightly worried about my male Orc Dreadnought wearing high-heeled leather boots, but +1 defense is +1 defense.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Babyface Mingo posted:

If you're playing on a randomly generated map, make sure the "Underground" box is checked.

I did that and on the minimap I can toggle between surface and underground views although obviously the entire underground map is obscured by the fog of war.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baron Porkface posted:

Do rally points exist? Scenario 2 is super tedious without them.
Top-right of the city building screen is a little red flag.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Neif posted:

I did that and on the minimap I can toggle between surface and underground views although obviously the entire underground map is obscured by the fog of war.

You need to find a cave entrance, they look like this:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

An independent city just gave me a quest to kill three Tier 1 archon infantry. Their reward? Dwarven Firstborn. Come on, guys, your Dwarven Firstborn could handle three entire stacks of Archon tier 1 infantry! :laugh:

I really didn't expect to enjoy the Warbringer because I generally don't enjoy fighter-y dudes but it has, I think, my favorite class spells in the game. Berserk is an incredible two-turn CC that can also do immense damage to nearby enemies, and you get a ton of very strong unit buffs.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 1, 2014

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

- Heroes drop all their items when they die, move a unit over the item sack on the ground, click the sack icon and the click the courier button. This will let you mail the items to any of your heroes.
This is not true of "main" heroes. Is this intentional? It has led to an annoying situation in the campaign where the opposing leader has an item I want but there's no way to get it, up to and including wiping their entire empire off the map. Since if I'd gotten to the treasure place first I would own it, I'm now going to be down an item for the rest of the campaign.

e: Also, is there a way to change which hero is leading a party? I'd like to put my support guy in charge so that all their buffs work.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 1, 2014

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Initial thoughts - game is a lot of fun, seems to have the depth needed to keep longevity. I'd say though if you could hold right click and get a little highlighted bar that shows you what section of the hex your unit should face when it completes it's move would be immensely helpful. As far as multiplayer goes, it's kind of frustrating to have to watch every manual battle play out. We switched to classic mode but it honestly didn't really help matters because you still have to watch if anyone decides to fight it out, despite it being in turn-based mode. You see their units, spells, etc which is awfully useful if you're going to fight each other.

Other than that it seems like something I'll sink some time into for sure.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

drat the Power of the Word spell is hella overpowered. Just stunlock entire armies for 6 turns :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So far the game is exactly what I had hoped for from a new Age of Wonders game. I agree with the general sentiment that it would have been nice to see some of the more unusual races from the previous games, but I suppose that's what expansions are for! Only had time to muck around a little with the Elven campaign, and am looking forward to diving in properly over the next days and weeks.

Thankfully, I'm not having the performance problems that others are describing (Windows 7, I5 3750K, 8 GB, Radeon 7850). I did grab the most recent Catalyst drivers from AMD before I launched the game (I was long overdue for an update anyway), though I couldn't say if there's a connection or not.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Combat:
  • Unit movement animation speed should be faster in general, attack speed is fine though. Ideally there should be a global 'animation speed' choice like there was in previous games.

On the bottom of the combat screen are buttons to speed up combat animation speed. Also, you can speed up individual animations (both in combat and on the map) by clicking RMB after the animation starts.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 1, 2014

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
I know a few people have mentioned activation email problems and I'm one of them. All I can find is a "it should be ok now" message on the AoW3 forums, but it's clearly not working yet. Any ideas?

edit - aaaaaand there it is. Why am I so impatient? WHY?! WHY?! WHYYY?!

Pyrion Flax fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 1, 2014

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh, apparently I should be able to use middle mouse button to rotate the camera, but this is a straight up lie. There's also no way to rebind the mouse-based camera controls.

Apart from these minor things I'm really enjoying the game. The music is everything I could have asked for :allears:

Also liking all the little tweaks to prevent the Hero Stack of Doom, like the one-hero-at-a-time stack-wide effects and the one-spell-per-combat. e: Though I'd like some way to get a refund for the personal versions of the stack-wide ones. Maybe make the personal one a pre-req and reduce the cost (I buy armour piercing for 2, which unlocks stack-wide for another 3?)

I take it there's no way to play online without a Triumph account? (How did the GoG people react to this?)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 1, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

madmac posted:

Medicore ranged and Cav, holy poo poo so awesome infantry.

My archers did barely any damage and died instantly and I thought oh god, what have I got myself into here? Then the infantry destroyed everything and stayed alive through everything and did I mention that Shield is an awesome ability?

quote:

What's the difference between this and Warlock 2? I haven't really played any of the previous games in either series either.
Warlock 2 is more of a...goal based game. It's civilization 5 style mechanics (city building, areas of control, map based combat, single unit per hex) but you've got a single thing you need to do and the game is mostly based around getting you to that. They're superficially similar, genre wise, but the actual gameplay is really different. This is more like a standard 4X, goal wise.
I have to say I've found warlock really REALLY repetative so far.

There are other games that are more like AoW but it seems like a genre that's mostly died off and beyond Heroes and Fallen Enchantress I can't really draw a direct comparison. I remember when AoW1 was out there were plenty of games that felt really similar.

quote:

es, I'm afraid so. The game eats RAM like crazy, so you'll need to reduce texture detail settings.

gently caress. Oh well. Thanks for your answer anyway. To be fair on a large/medium map it seems okay, it's just on the gigantic ones. Maybe it's time to get more RAM.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

This is not true of "main" heroes. Is this intentional? It has led to an annoying situation in the campaign where the opposing leader has an item I want but there's no way to get it, up to and including wiping their entire empire off the map. Since if I'd gotten to the treasure place first I would own it, I'm now going to be down an item for the rest of the campaign.

e: Also, is there a way to change which hero is leading a party? I'd like to put my support guy in charge so that all their buffs work.

Leaders keep their items when the die *unless* they do not have a throne city to respawn to. So, if you could capture the guys throne, and then kill him, he'll drop it. It looks like there's a problem though: If you kill the leader then capture the throne afterwards, the items are gone forever. This is also what happens when you capture an enemy's throne city while he's guarding that city. When the battle is resolved, the game kills the leader and *then* captures the city, destroying the items.

I've made a case to look into it, but it's not easy to fix it. I don't think it'll be in the next patch.

You cannot change the leader of your party, the system chooses either your leader hero or, if they're not present, the highest level non-hero unit. We didn't want to add a feature for rearranging stacks by hand, since it can lead to a lot of micro-management and weird exploits.

Justin Credible posted:

Initial thoughts - game is a lot of fun, seems to have the depth needed to keep longevity. I'd say though if you could hold right click and get a little highlighted bar that shows you what section of the hex your unit should face when it completes it's move would be immensely helpful. As far as multiplayer goes, it's kind of frustrating to have to watch every manual battle play out. We switched to classic mode but it honestly didn't really help matters because you still have to watch if anyone decides to fight it out, despite it being in turn-based mode. You see their units, spells, etc which is awfully useful if you're going to fight each other.

I have a case to fix this, an "Observe Manual Combat" checkbox somewhere. Once again, I don't know when it will get into a patch though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pyrion Flax posted:

I know a few people have mentioned activation email problems and I'm one of them. All I can find is a "it should be ok now" message on the AoW3 forums, but it's clearly not working yet. Any ideas?

edit - aaaaaand there it is. Why am I so impatient? WHY?! WHY?! WHYYY?!

That's true, mine did take something like four hours to arrive, and I had to hit 'resend' at least once. It also showed up in my spam folder when it did arrive, but that's probably not Triumph's fault.

Eh, there's never been a game launch with any online component, so far as I know, that didn't get crazy overstressed the first few days, and "an email took a while to get here but I could play the game in the meantime" is about the best case scenario under those circumstances. (Then again, I don't really care about multiplayer so I might be singing a different tune if I did!)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Taear posted:

Warlock 2 is more of a...goal based game. It's civilization 5 style mechanics (city building, areas of control, map based combat, single unit per hex) but you've got a single thing you need to do and the game is mostly based around getting you to that. They're superficially similar, genre wise, but the actual gameplay is really different. This is more like a standard 4X, goal wise.
I have to say I've found warlock really REALLY repetative so far.

I think you're talking about "Exile mode" in Wl2, but it also has a sandbox mode, much like AoW has its campaign as well as random maps.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
One of my favorite things in AoW1 was customizing the hero (Dominate at level 1!). Can you still do that?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Oh, apparently I should be able to use middle mouse button to rotate the camera, but this is a straight up lie. There's also no way to rebind the mouse-based camera controls.

Also liking all the little tweaks to prevent the Hero Stack of Doom, like the one-hero-at-a-time stack-wide effects and the one-spell-per-combat. e: Though I'd like some way to get a refund for the personal versions of the stack-wide ones. Maybe make the personal one a pre-req and reduce the cost (I buy armour piercing for 2, which unlocks stack-wide for another 3?)

I take it there's no way to play online without a Triumph account? (How did the GoG people react to this?)

Weirdly the middle mouse doesn't work on my machine either :( Try using Q and E instead. I'll add the issue to the list of things to look into.

The GoG people have been surprisingly chill about needing an account to do multiplayer, we were careful not to have any DRM in the software itself, even the DLC is DRM free. It seems that having some kind of wall blocking off multiplayer is acceptable as long as the rest of the game is usable?

docbeard posted:

That's true, mine did take something like four hours to arrive, and I had to hit 'resend' at least once. It also showed up in my spam folder when it did arrive, but that's probably not Triumph's fault.

Eh, there's never been a game launch with any online component, so far as I know, that didn't get crazy overstressed the first few days, and "an email took a while to get here but I could play the game in the meantime" is about the best case scenario under those circumstances. (Then again, I don't really care about multiplayer so I might be singing a different tune if I did!)

We bought the wrong type of account for our webservers and our hosting company cut us off when we started sending out too many emails. We've been working on fixes for it, so hopefully it should be working if you have some patience. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'm streaming again, if any fence sitters are still lurking in here, come and watch and see if its worth your :10bux: It is. :ssh: http://www.twitch.tv/thyrork/

Gerblyn posted:

A chunk of replied feedback and more.

:allears: this makes me very happy, you guys keep on chugging away at it. Its nice to have dev's with their ears to the community and not up their arse.

• Locked thread