Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I haven't set up my triumph account yet, but I basically went with Steam over Gog for convenience, since I assumed I could join multiplayer games through the steam "join game" option. Does this actually work, or am I going to be kicking myself for not going though GoG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gerblyn posted:

Have you tried this?

http://ageofwonders.com/support/networking/

It looks like the support section could be better organized.

I have, yes. What's more we can't even seem to use Local to solve the problem. Despite being on the same network, nothing shows up. That's the really strange part.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 1, 2014

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
I've just lost three games in a row on knight setting to random NPCs invading my base then losing my hero guy while retaking it so I'm clearly retarded.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I haven't set up my triumph account yet, but I basically went with Steam over Gog for convenience, since I assumed I could join multiplayer games through the steam "join game" option. Does this actually work, or am I going to be kicking myself for not going though GoG?

Matchmaking only works via your triumph account, not through steam works.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have, yes. What's more we can't even seem to use Local to solve the problem. Despite being on the same network, nothing shows up. That's the really strange part.

Did you try and make a case in our support forum? Networking isn't my thing, I'm afraid, so there's not much I can do to help.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

Matchmaking only works via your triumph account, not through steam works.
I am genuinely annoyed about this and wish it had been stated somewhere earlier. In big flashing letters. Possibly with a siren. There is no way I would have gone through Steam if I have known this and I am peeved.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I am genuinely annoyed about this and wish it had been stated somewhere earlier. In big flashing letters. Possibly with a siren. There is no way I would have gone through Steam if I have known this and I am peeved.

Sorry man. Not that it helps, but I mention it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532785&pagenumber=18&perpage=40#post425753405

Essentially, we had to do it this way or GoG players wouldn't be able to play with Steam players.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

Sorry man. Not that it helps, but I mention it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532785&pagenumber=18&perpage=40#post425753405

Essentially, we had to do it this way or GoG players wouldn't be able to play with Steam players.
Well so you did. Still going to quietly grumble under my breath about it for a while.

grumble mumble paying for the privilege of double DRM grumble mumble

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 1, 2014

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

My FPS drop like a rock when I select my hero's stack, does anyone have a fix for that? It goes from vsync'ed 60 FPS to 4 FPS when I select the stack and back up to 60 as soon as I deselect. Playing borderless 1920*1080, dropped settings to medium, i5, GTX 680.

Ed: Reloading fixed it.

Vodos fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 1, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vodos posted:

My FPS drop like a rock when I select my hero's stack, does anyone have a fix for that? It goes from vsync'ed 60 FPS to 4 FPS when I select the stack and back up to 60 as soon as I deselect. Playing borderless 1920*1080, dropped settings to medium, i5, GTX 680.

Ed: Reloading fixed it.

We found a bug this morning and hopefully a fix will be in the next patch for it. The code is doing something really dumb when you have a hero selected that eats a ton of processing power, no-one noticed before because apparently the issue is only really bad on particular system configurations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is there a spell that just makes machines explode at once or something? I was wrecking the last(ish?) city on the first mission on Ed's story until all my flame tanks exploded (despite a bunch of them still having a ton of HP) and caused me to fail due to the hero dying.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Sabotage? It's a unit ability that does crazy damage to machines and walls, Scoundrels have it (the Tier 1 rogue unit).

I can't know for sure, but it sounds like someone killed done flame tank, it exploded and damaged some other tanks, one of which also died and exploded, and you had a big chain reaction which destroyed everything.

sedaps
Jan 29, 2004
Is the blue confirmation button bothering the hell out of anyone else? The design of it makes my eye think it is out of focus, almost making the game unplayable for me.

I can't be the only one having that problem can I?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Gerblyn posted:

a big chain reaction
:sun:
gently caress it, I'm leaving work early today.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

I think you're talking about "Exile mode" in Wl2, but it also has a sandbox mode, much like AoW has its campaign as well as random maps.

I am indeed, but I still wouldn't really tag it as being similar. The shards for one thing and the extreme power of Meta Teleportation make the game very different.
And it is still based more around goals - just slightly different ones in the Sandbox mode.

It's hard to pin down what feels so different about it, but it definitely does. Even with only things like the way buildings work, that you can only build one building per point of population in Warlock but you're planning out the city in a different way in AoW (theoretically you can build everything).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

it sounds like someone killed done flame tank, it exploded and damaged some other tanks, one of which also died and exploded, and you had a big chain reaction which destroyed everything.

Game Of The Year.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Sabotage? It's a unit ability that does crazy damage to machines and walls, Scoundrels have it (the Tier 1 rogue unit).

I can't know for sure, but it sounds like someone killed done flame tank, it exploded and damaged some other tanks, one of which also died and exploded, and you had a big chain reaction which destroyed everything.

I think this is it. I think the HP values didn't update since I had it on the fastest speed on my enemy's turn.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gerblyn posted:

We found a bug this morning and hopefully a fix will be in the next patch for it. The code is doing something really dumb when you have a hero selected that eats a ton of processing power, no-one noticed before because apparently the issue is only really bad on particular system configurations.

This is good to hear, sounds like the same thing I was wondering about. I'm pretty sure I had a similar issue with Heroes VI as well.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there a minimum distance that cities have to be founded apart from each other? Is there any drawback to spamming cities everywhere?

Also, EXPANSION IDEA:
Take a cue from the Alpha Centauri expansion and Dominions and have a Cthulhuesque faction that founds cities in the ocean. All fish-men and tentacles and such.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fintilgin posted:

Also, EXPANSION IDEA:
Take a cue from the Alpha Centauri expansion and Dominions and have a Cthulhuesque faction that founds cities in the ocean. All fish-men and tentacles and such.

Could work as the ice/tundra faction too!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah. As much as the frostlings were cool for being ice themed, I don't think the race filling that niche needs to be ice goblins particularly.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Is there a minimum distance that cities have to be founded apart from each other? Is there any drawback to spamming cities everywhere?

Yes, about 7 hexes. You can spam cities everywhere but it's expensive and slow, you'd be vulnerable to getting rushed and in most cases I don't think it makes economic sense, since cities without interesting structures in their domains don't really produce that much in terms of income. If you think that ICS is a viable strategy then go ahead though, I'm curious to see if someone can pull it off.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Is there no way to view your hero when choosing the reward from ruins and what have you? It's sometimes difficult to remember whether or not your hero already has the artifact they're offering.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Fun times so far, but man, Shrines of Smiting are brutal.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

madmac posted:

Yeah. As much as the frostlings were cool for being ice themed, I don't think the race filling that niche needs to be ice goblins particularly.

Lizardmen. Sorted.

And my CTDs were always when I had just selected a hero, I wonder if the bug is what is causing it?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Captain Oblivious posted:

With absolutely no knowledge of your network or setup it sounds like a firewall problem. Run netstat and identify what port the game is using to listen. Then on the other computer try and use telnet to connect to that port.

Or maybe go to the game's technical support forum and make a post there?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Fun times so far, but man, Shrines of Smiting are brutal.

They really are but loving Dwarven Firstborn just laugh at them

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
I love this game. I have minor UI quibbles:
  • The function of the left and right mouse buttons is inconsistent, which makes me think too much about inputs instead of game actions. Most important example: when targeting a spell, left-click confirms a target; when targeting a "hotbar" unit ability, left-click cancels targeting and right-click confirms. Because of how the hotbar abilities work (they are more action modes than activate-and-target), I don't think it would make sense to change them to confirm on left-click, so I think the best change here would be to make spellcasting cancel on left-click and confirm on right-click for consistency.
  • On the strategic map, the tooltip on the green circled checkmark for "pass this army's turn" says that its hotkey is 'j', but 'j' doesn't do the same thing -- it cycles to the next army without passing.
  • On the strategic map, if I click the checkmark to pass an army's turn, it should cycle to the next army so I don't have to move my mouse all the way down to "an army needs orders" and back.
  • On the strategic map, clicking "confirm army movement (press m)" doesn't confirm army movement; you must actually press 'm' on the keyboard, which is an annoying context switch when you are clicking through events.
  • There should be (more) obvious indicators for whether a unit (tactical map) or army (strategic map) has used its movement.
  • The combat log is useful for reviewing what went horribly wrong, but the formatting/layout is really bad -- you guys have beautiful UI layout in general so I am confident you have a guy who can make this better!
  • On the tactical map, it would be really useful if enemy movement range were displayed while hovering over an enemy unit, so you didn't have to click to select, then click to re-select your unit, then move.
  • On the tactical map, an "attack range after movement" indicator for ranged units would be nice. Maybe a different color of little circles?
  • On the tactical map, the "will retaliate!" splash can get lost off-screen when hovering over a unit that is far away from the selected unit; this has caused me to expect no retaliation when there would actually be horrible, very bad retaliation.
  • I can't find anything anywhere in the UI that explains why elven archers don't have a range penalty at >3 hex range.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Put a few hours in last night on a Draconian Sorcerer. Had a lot of fun.

Basically was wrecking everything I saw with a combination of badass high experience Flyer units, and sick nasty spell casting from units and hero.

I will probably restart tonight with a smaller map and higher difficulty.

Game strikes me as both pretty and polished. No crashes for me so far.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Any good posts anywhere which talks about spells// combos with classes? So far I've learned that stuns/static stuff is hilarious

e:in the same vein, talk about hero upgrades... *clicks randomly*

Daktari fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 1, 2014

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
General strategy question, in the campaign's second scenario, I got stomped by the orc dude who had whole stacks of nothing but his tier 3 racial unit (chimera riders or something). I had mostly 2's and some 1's, mostly archdruid specific stuff. When I restarted, I built nothing but flying dragon dudes, and did pretty well. Do tier 1/2 units just stop being helpful after a point? By using only tier 3 units, do you leave any specific weaknesses in your army?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

MoreLikeTen posted:

General strategy question, in the campaign's second scenario, I got stomped by the orc dude who had whole stacks of nothing but his tier 3 racial unit (chimera riders or something). I had mostly 2's and some 1's, mostly archdruid specific stuff. When I restarted, I built nothing but flying dragon dudes, and did pretty well. Do tier 1/2 units just stop being helpful after a point? By using only tier 3 units, do you leave any specific weaknesses in your army?

If the previous games are of any indication, the limited slots means that higher level units will mostly replace lower level ones as the game goes on.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

MoreLikeTen posted:

Do tier 1/2 units just stop being helpful after a point? By using only tier 3 units, do you leave any specific weaknesses in your army?

Experience is important for keeping tier 1/2 units relevant. Lower tier units require less experience per promotion, so by the time you have a few tier 3 units, you might have an army worth of at least veteran tier 1s. The stat bumps from promotions make a big difference, and most units get at least one additional trait at higher ranks, too. I've also noticed that most tier 3 racial units are cavalry, so if you are getting rolled by them, build some pikemen. Don't forget that you can get free promotions for new units from city buildings.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

MoreLikeTen posted:

In the second elf mission take your draconian hero to the top left of the map, you get a gold dragon and a place that makes gold dragons. Instant win.

In these campaign missions a lot of the time you basically have infinite resources about half way in, so of course you want armies of the highest tier available. In multiplayers, and scenarios, you airnt going to be in constant high finance so sometimes its a gamble.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is it a bug that goblin swarm darters don't seem to suffer from any range or line of sight penalties ever? Makes them pretty powerful.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone evolve any Draconian Hatchlings? What do they turn into?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Gerblyn posted:

- Heroes drop all their items when they die, move a unit over the item sack on the ground, click the sack icon and the click the courier button. This will let you mail the items to any of your heroes.

Thanks for the other questions. There doesn't seem to be any sack after beating the dungeon with a dead hero?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone evolve any Draconian Hatchlings? What do they turn into?

How do you evolve them? I was wondering if they ever grew up into anything but mostly I used them as cannon fodder.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

The Bramble posted:

Is it a bug that goblin swarm darters don't seem to suffer from any range or line of sight penalties ever? Makes them pretty powerful.

I believe that's intended because they're shooting mosquitoes. Started a random map on adventure mode, every city seem to be goblins.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Dwarf Dreadnoughts are not pleasant to fight.

A lot of good people died this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

Thanks for the other questions. There doesn't seem to be any sack after beating the dungeon with a dead hero?

If your hero dies in battle, then they should drop all their items after the battle on the hex the battle took place on. If your leader dies, then they keep their items and respawn with them. Is it possible you're leader died in the battle?

gently caress the ROW posted:

How do you evolve them? I was wondering if they ever grew up into anything but mostly I used them as cannon fodder.

Get them to gold level experience, and they should transform. Some other units do as well, High Elf adepts evolve into storm sisters, I believe.

Rabhadh posted:

I believe that's intended because they're shooting mosquitoes.

Yes it is. Swarm Darters are one of the best ranged units in the game. They're not much use against high defense units like dwarves, but they will melt most low tier units, especially elves and orcs.

• Locked thread