Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

victrix posted:

Desperately need more goons streaming this who aren't playing terrible music

Join the group and the chat, when i notice it (assuming im not busy) ill stream some for you if im not already, at worse you'll hear me answer questions or make fun of what just happened, but i tend to err on the quiet side because im often on ts3. :3:

http://www.twitch.tv/thyrork

Daktari posted:

I should report the one CTD bug I experienced yesterday:
The round your sorcerer mount egg hatches you get a notification line on the right. Clicking that text line gives me a CTD. I'm not running the beta patch.

Also, I stayed up till 01:30 last night -- had to finish that map :colbert:

The only CTD i've had so far was on getting my first neutral town quest on two different games. I've not had it since.

Demiurge4 posted:

The map generator is quite good, yeah. But I've noticed that if you leave all the settings to default it makes a lot of empty fields with nothing in them which makes for very uninteresting maps. For best results you should kick up the mountain and water values a little.

I think the map gen comes in flavours as well, i've had the settings unchanged and gotten openish maps, then i've gotten maps that seem to be nothing but mountains, canyons and forests (which was pretty great actually) with a central lake.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For some reason all the random land maps I've tried creates a one hex wide empty border of temperate fertile land around the whole map. Regardless of the type of terrain and climate next to it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I just had one strange rear end bug on the beta patch, elf campaign mission 5 for torchlighters, like 30~ rounds in I was still underground and had not met any of the AI yet, but then Sundren talked about Wermac 'escaping into the void' and lo and behold, one of the four AI I had not met yet were dead. I think they're all allied, too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

madmac posted:

Obviously that's all Druid specific but it's just one build. Warlord's Monster Hunters are great support units, Goblin Swarm Darters, Dreadnaught Musketeers, ect. There's plenty of viable ranged units that you can use through most of the game. How much more are you expecting from Tier 1/2 units?

The thing is if the human archers are rubbish, the dwarf archers are rubbish and the orc archers are rubbish, they don't really have anything to replace it. Every race has essentially the same units so again it just leads to me only ever building the last tier stuff. A bunch of goblin beetle riders and some trebuchets defend a city a lot better than any archers ever could, so I just stop building them post turn 30 or so.

And I'm really impressed with the random map generator too, especially after what it was like in previous games and in most of the heroes series. I've not once been blocked off or had a crazy lack of resources.
I WOULD like to be able to turn off settling altogether though, so you can only use cities that exist on the map. Is that possible? If it is I can't find it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I WOULD like to be able to turn off settling altogether though, so you can only use cities that exist on the map. Is that possible? If it is I can't find it.

When you're on the screen where you can decide which players are human and what level the AIs are, click on the Advanced Options button. It's called "City Founding Enabled" or something similar.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Oof, elf 5 has a timer? It's all 'hide underground and build up an army and then take the overworld in one fell swoop!' and i'm like 'cool I can actually build a giant army for once' OMG YOU ONLY HAVE 20 TURNS LEFT HURRY HURRY HURRY! Wait what?!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I would be genuinely interested in hearing a report about a run done where the player only ever uses T1/T2s at best. Never using T3s or T4s would certainly not be optimal, but would it be at least viable?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Tomn posted:

I would be genuinely interested in hearing a report about a run done where the player only ever uses T1/T2s at best. Never using T3s or T4s would certainly not be optimal, but would it be at least viable?

A randomly generated map? I might take that up and stream it. Couldn't be that hard with massed riflemen, engineers and drone strikes. :getin: Air Adept would add alot to this setup, so would going elf.

Gerblyn, is it a known issue that sometimes you dont get every custom lord you've created?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 7, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Thyrork posted:

A randomly generated map? I might take that up and stream it. Couldn't be that hard with massed riflemen, engineers and drone strikes. :getin: Air Adept would add alot to this setup, so would going elf.

On the other hand, Mighty Meek would be the single best possible spell here, and theocrat heroes would also get the 'everyone in your army has resurgence' to help you keep those medaled t1/2s alive. Or you could use combat magic as a sorcerer + apprentices. I donno if a dreadnought that can't use cannons, golems, flame tanks, juggernauts or firstborn is gunna do very well in the long term. I guess you could get a theocrat hero and use mighty meek on musketeers but that relies on you getting lucky with heroes and they might die, unlike your leader.

I wonder if it's possible to make some sort of strategy entirely around invincible heroes, having just a pack of martyrs to make him immortal, with resurgence to revive them after the fight :catholic:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

Rogue/Explorer -> Trail Running Assassins uber alles :getin:

Thyrork posted:

Gerblyn, is it a known issue that sometimes you dont get every custom lord you've created?

I don't know what you mean... Don't get them where?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pretty sure you could rule the world as dreadnaught just by packing 6 musketeers into every army and alphastriking the entire enemy force for 75% of their hp and then running away while you reload.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
On the selection screen, sometimes my custom lords are out having a cuppa. :argh: Going back to the menu screen and trying again fixes it.

Rogue. Explorer/Destruction Adept. Not only are you running rings around them, you are wiring their towns to blow. :getin:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Incidentally, has anyone put together a full list of random Druid/Sorcerer summons? I think I have a pretty good handle on Druid just from playing it, but I'm curious. Just from what I've seen:

Summon Wild Animal: Usually A boar, worg, or baby spider. Most of these are like weaker then racial tier ones, but for the Druid they work very well early game as instantly replaceable cannon fodder to screen for your Hunters/Shaman so not too bad.

Summon Eldritch Animal: You can get a Zephyr Bird, Dire Penguin, or I guess Hell Hound although I've never seen that one. I actually find this the least useful Druid summon. Zephyr Birds are great scouts if you can get one when you need it, but (Heresy!) I don't think the penguins are actually good for much.

Summon Gargantuan Animal: This spell is amazing, and the main reason I largely didn't bother with Racial Tier 3 units until the endgame. There's a lot of variability in what you can get though. There's the Undead Vulture thing that mostly blows, and the Giant Poison Spitting Snake which is kinda useful but not as good as the other ones. (Dealing 100% Poison damage is limiting late game, especially against Rogues or Dreadnaughts.) Giant Momma Spider is rock-solid, and Shock Snake is forever love. Tier 4 Electric Snake is arguably on par with the more expensive Horned God, but of course you at best a 25% chance of pulling one per cast.

quote:

Sounds like a really fun challenge run, with a lot of possible approaches!

I imagine it's doable, assuming you play very aggressively and win before getting to the late-late game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

madmac posted:

Summon Eldritch Animal: You can get a Zephyr Bird, Dire Penguin, or I guess Hell Hound although I've never seen that one. I actually find this the least useful Druid summon. Zephyr Birds are great scouts if you can get one when you need it, but (Heresy!) I don't think the penguins are actually good for much.
You also get blight boars. They're like punk boars. They look boss.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 7, 2014

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Thyrork posted:

On the selection screen, sometimes my custom lords are out having a cuppa. :argh: Going back to the menu screen and trying again fixes it.

I noticed this, seems like the AI picks leaders to deploy on the map before the player can- so if they pick some of your custom leaders they won't show up as selectable for you.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 7, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Splicer posted:

You also get blight boars. They're like punk boars. They look boss.

They also have charge and are pretty chunky. Best Druid summon before Shock Serpents, I think.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Autsj posted:

I noticed this, seems like the picks AI leaders to deploy on the map before the player can- so if they pick some of your custom leaders they won't show up as selectable for you.

Oh! That explains everything.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
That tier 1/2 challenge sounds pretty fun, it's definitely doable with an air dread and probably a specced rogue/sorc too. Haven't played the other 2 enough to know. I think the big thing would be expanding fast and just massing troops from the towns that can do one per turn quick. Enough assassins/muskets/apprentices can really put out a lot of damage, especially with some well placed spells early on. One of my apprentices in the CW campaign put out like 45 damage in a x3, I'm still trying to figure out how. He had 4 different damage sources and was rolling like 3-5 on all of them. I didn't realize it fully until after the battle ended.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 7, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

madmac posted:

Incidentally, has anyone put together a full list of random Druid/Sorcerer summons? I think I have a pretty good handle on Druid just from playing it, but I'm curious. Just from what I've seen:

Summon Wild Animal: Usually A boar, worg, or baby spider. Most of these are like weaker then racial tier ones, but for the Druid they work very well early game as instantly replaceable cannon fodder to screen for your Hunters/Shaman so not too bad.

Baby Spiders can turn into the tier 3 Mother Spiders if they max rank (this is great, especially since they're already the best Wild Animal Summon). Eldritch Animal is always Zephyr Bird, Dire Penguin, Bleak Warg (frost version of hellhound) or Blight Boar. Bleak Warg and Blight Boar are actually pretty solid, and the other two are decent for exploring the map. Summoning a Hellhound is an Adept Fire spell and is slightly cheaper than Eldritch Animal.

There are a few things I wish were added to the pool. Adding the baby forms of the serpents to the Eldritch Animal pool would be nice (I like evolving things). Ditto the Griffon. As would adding Felhorses to Summon Wild Animal and maybe the other two varieties of baby spider.

The druid summoning spells are like gambling crack to me though. I love rolling the die on them, it makes it hard to play other classes.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 7, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mazz posted:

That tier 1/2 challenge sounds pretty fun, it's definitely doable with an air dread and probably a specced rogue/sorc too. Haven't played the other 2 enough to know. I think the big thing would be expanding fast and just massing troops from the towns that can do one per turn quick. Enough assassins/muskets/apprentices can really put out a lot of damage, especially with some well placed spells early on. One of my apprentices in the CW campaign put out like 45 damage in a x3, I'm still trying to figure out how. He had 4 different damage sources and was rolling like 3-5 on all of them. I didn't realize it fully until after the battle ended.

I'd say it'd be all but impossible as a Theocrat, although Crusaders are pretty beefy they'll get chopped up by dragons and phoenixes and manticores and such.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How are you supposed to fight the Dwarf Dreadnought on the third campaign map? I have him down to his last city, but it's loaded up with firstborns, golems, cannons and a flame tank. The only thing I have that can do decent damage to machines is Sundren's sabotage, but I can't get here anywhere near the machines since a single cannonball/flame jet combo can kill her, and will if it's backed up by crossbows. My favorite goblin strategy of overwhelming the walls with bees is also useless, as swarm darters die in one cannonball and most of his units take basically no damage from their attacks.

EDIT: ^Theocrats get Mighy Meek, though. If they could get hold of a Fey Dwelling, that'd be up to +52 damage on tier IV units. :getin:

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 7, 2014

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Kajeesus posted:

How are you supposed to fight the Dwarf Dreadnought on the third campaign map? I have him down to his last city, but it's loaded up with firstborns, golems, cannons and a flame tank. The only thing I have that can do decent damage to machines is Sundren's sabotage, but I can't get here anywhere near the machines since a single cannonball/flame jet combo can kill her, and will if it's backed up by crossbows. My favorite goblin strategy of overwhelming the walls with bees is also useless, as swarm darters die in one cannonball and most of his units take basically no damage from their attacks.

EDIT: ^Theocrats get Mighy Meek, though. If they could get hold of a Fey Dwelling, that'd be up to +52 damage on tier IV units. :getin:

I bumrushed the three cities around the volcano with my heroes and a fuckton of Untouchables to play Cannon Fodder. Hadn't Sabotage but it seems I took him by surprise and had only fleshy units.

Then inmediately started cranking Firstborn and Boar Riders on those cities, with some of those neat dwarven priests. Tried to take the underground fortress but the was just too many Flame Tanks, so I spammed Shrines of Smiting and prayed him to death.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Autonomous Monster posted:

They also have charge and are pretty chunky. Best Druid summon before Shock Serpents, I think.

Bleak Wargs ain't bad either.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You would think that Druid, of all classes, would be able to summon a mount.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You would think that Druid, of all classes, would be able to summon a mount.

Speaking of that, someone earlier in the thread mentioned spawning eggs as the Sorc in CW mission 2.

This is a good idea.

Please ignore how much time I waste on each mission doing a bunch of useless, extraneous crap, tia.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm somewhat curious what position Gerblyn has where he works, you don't often see someone who works so closely on something like this be so talkative about the process as it's going on.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm somewhat curious what position Gerblyn has where he works, you don't often see someone who works so closely on something like this be so talkative about the process as it's going on.

It's nice, isn't it? :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dirty_Moses posted:

It's nice, isn't it? :allears:

We'll scare him off eventually :smith: He'll go into the Game of Thrones thread on the books section and that will be that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I kind of want to let them keep it :3:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Kajeesus posted:

How are you supposed to fight the Dwarf Dreadnought on the third campaign map?

Get the Blind spell on Sundren, it basically disables a war machine for the entire battle for a measly 8 mana.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He's the guy whos done the class videos i think? "Knife Fight in a Cupboard." and all that?

I'm now hoping for a "Yeah i work at marketing, SUCKERS!" :allears:

Splicer posted:

I kind of want to let them keep it :3:

That city must be a real... sty. :rimshot:

teb1288
Feb 7, 2013
On Elven Court 6 as the Lightbearers, when I kill Leonidas with the character holding the appropriate item I don't trap him like I did the elf. Is this stage bugged?

The mission itself is fairly difficult. I managed to clear the Elf side of the map by turn 25, but now I have an endless stream of juggernauts coming at me from the other side. It seems like the map is set up so that you aren't supposed to have to fight everyone, but instead just capture the leaders. However, like I said, Leonidas won't be trapped like the elf was.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He's been here for ages though and it happens a lot when someone who is a goon already goes to work on a project.

Just look in the Wildstar thread for another example!

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
So I finally finished a dreadnought campaign, which was a ton of fun, but something weird came up in the diplomacy during this game (which I should note was played with the beta patch).

She's my ally, as is Lena, they were at peace before but have now started a war and both of them started hating my guts. Now our alignments have drifted apart but the big whopper seems to be those three "Declared war on their ally" penalties (Lena's info contains the same penalties for the same turns).

Thing is I only declared war twice this entire game: once on an independent town (which is marked at turn 32) and once several turns from here to kill Quoshka and end the game. I looked at the aftergame log and nothing at all worth mentioning even happened on the turns that are noted in her info. Neither Lena nor Quoshka had any other alliances going on during the game either.

Some kind of bug in the diplo system? Anybody else seen something similar?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Kajeesus posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but I managed to wait until they left the city to raid me (with me in plain sight, bug!) and attack a single army of theirs with 3 of mine and take the city. There were 3 more armies close together still though, but I managed to attack the single army with the actual leader in it with 3 more of mine and kill him. With him dead and no cities he was finished. The remaining 2 armies he had which were entirely flame tanks and firstborn, disappeared. His other cities became independent.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Autsj posted:

Yup. No idea if its a bug or a feature ("You warmonger!" :argh: ) or whatever is going on.

Thyrork posted:

These two have been at war the entire game, i finally started to invade Cerrin, and on that turn Julia is pissed me because its her Ally? That... cant be right?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Honestly, i am kind of annoyed at the campaign. The only real way to get through most of the missions is to rush. The AI always out produces you, and unless your hyper aggressive and can capture some of the enemies cities early on, before they start getting stacks on their cities. Its more or less game over.

There is so much cool stuff on the maps, that unfortunately by the time i can explore it. I don't feel like back tracking all the way to the start to go explore it.

Does anyone have any tips for Elf 4? I just cannot seem to figure out what i should do.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 7, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm the senior programmer, I wrote tactical combat and a lot of the code that underpins how the world map works. I'm also involved in various design bits and pieces.

Autsj posted:

This makes perfect sense, if you understand something which is never really explained in the diplomacy interfaces. The system isn't just telling you about what the AI player thinks of you, but about the relationship between the two of you. So "Declared war on their Ally" could mean the player declared war on one of the AI's allies, but it could also mean the AI declared war on one of the player's allies. It's like how you get a relationship penalty when the AI trespasses in your terrain, the system is actually saying "Your relationship is suffering because they've pissed you off".

I have to admit, it's a bit of a weird system. It makes sense when it's simulating relations between 2 AIs, but when it's simulating relations between you and another AI, it becomes fairly unintuitive. We're gonna be working on it in upcoming patches. If we could somehow change those messages so that it was clear who did what, it would probably be a good start!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

teb1288 posted:

On Elven Court 6 as the Lightbearers, when I kill Leonidas with the character holding the appropriate item I don't trap him like I did the elf. Is this stage bugged?

The mission itself is fairly difficult. I managed to clear the Elf side of the map by turn 25, but now I have an endless stream of juggernauts coming at me from the other side. It seems like the map is set up so that you aren't supposed to have to fight everyone, but instead just capture the leaders. However, like I said, Leonidas won't be trapped like the elf was.

I noticed that some of the triggers in the campaign are kinda janky and just won't trigger sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

This makes perfect sense, if you understand something which is never really explained in the diplomacy interfaces. The system isn't just telling you about what the AI player thinks of you, but about the relationship between the two of you. So "Declared war on their Ally" could mean the player declared war on one of the AI's allies, but it could also mean the AI declared war on one of the player's allies. It's like how you get a relationship penalty when the AI trespasses in your terrain, the system is actually saying "Your relationship is suffering because they've pissed you off".

I have to admit, it's a bit of a weird system. It makes sense when it's simulating relations between 2 AIs, but when it's simulating relations between you and another AI, it becomes fairly unintuitive. We're gonna be working on it in upcoming patches. If we could somehow change those messages so that it was clear who did what, it would probably be a good start!

I see, apparently they must've had an on/off war going on that I never noticed. That brings up another weird thing I've seen the AI do that might make a modifier like that messier. Several games now I've met an AI who'd declare war on me right after making contact, only to backpedal the same turn (on sim. turns) or the turn after (on classic) for a peace offer- generally the AI seems to do this if it's already at war with somebody else.

I'm guessing the AI evaluates whether it's strong enough for war first, executes on that, and then evaluates that it shouldn't fight 2 wars at the same time. I've often seen the AI trying to sue for peace when it has multiple wars going on, which makes sense, but its apparent tendency to start a war before considering if it already has one going on might screw over the diplomacy a bit.

• Locked thread