Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Drone_Fragger posted:

Just a bug that probably needs fixing, if you pick one of the predefined leaders, it's then possible for the same leader to turn up in game leading an opposing nation. So you can then end up at war with the evil clone of yourself. It's not gamebreaking by any means but it just feels super wierd, especially when theres like 40 different stock leaders it could of rerolled from.

Also: I won a loving heroic Victory last night, where a rag tag band of 5 flame tanks, 3 axedwarves and two musketdwarves held off 5 full stacks of various units in a fortress in a valley. Resulting in one casualty (one flame tank) for 30 dead enemies.

This can actually happen with your unique heroes too if you save them, though its much more rare.

I will never forget when I had my goblin Archdruid run into his clone. Jiyup the Toxx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean at game start you are the ruler Tomric Orcsbane and then you bump into a scout... belonging to the other Tomric Orcsbane who is actually the same as you except that his crest is a slightly lighter shade of blue.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tennance posted:

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but is there a way to increase army size? I think battles would be cooler with 12 sized armies or even 18.

It would definitely make theocratic characters awesome.

Are you taking advantage of the multiple hex rule? Every time a stack is attacked, all the armies surrounding it are included in the battle. This means you can still have 42 units in a single battle.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean at game start you are the ruler Tomric Orcsbane and then you bump into a scout... belonging to the other Tomric Orcsbane who is actually the same as you except that his crest is a slightly lighter shade of blue.

Yes, my guy (Jiyup the Toxx) ran into a city that belonged to another Jiyup the Toxx who's primary color was red instead of orange.

Also he immediately declared war.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Well that will not stand. Obviously if you are fighting your evil twin they need to have a handlebar mustache. No exceptions!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

Well that will not stand. Obviously if you are fighting your evil twin they need to have a handlebar mustache. No exceptions!

If this is a hotfix I will mail $50 to Triumph with a handwritten thanks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

madmac posted:

Would a goatee be acceptable, or is that mirror universes only.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

Would a goatee be acceptable, or is that mirror universes only.

Goatee's are only acceptable if they implemented as an optional slider.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Exmond posted:

I remember MonsterW21 faces was marketing for All Points Bulletin.. It got pretty bad that someone bought a banner ad making fun of him.

Just recalling that farce brought a smile to my face.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

teb1288 posted:

Yeah I managed to pull it off with the elf one I had to trap. I killed Leonidas over two turns, only by the person with the item. Three turns later, as far as I can tell, he did not respawn at all, much less captured. My wizard did die in the fight, if that matters.

I found a bug, and I don't think it will be fixed for a week or so. It seems that if you attack Leonus (or Saridas), kill them in the correct way, but then retreat from the battle (or lose it so that one or more of Leonidas' units survives) then the system bugs out and Leonidas spawns at his throne city :( You can get round for now by making sure you actually kill the guys whole army.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 8, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Okay, so this game isn't perfect, but... you guys did it. This is a modernized AoW1. I wrote right before release that I didn't think you could capture the magic, but you somehow did. Hell of a job.

And the random map generator is absolutely boss, too.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
If any goons get the crazy idea into their heads to get the entire tome onto a website and have the skills to make it happen, im happy to offer at least some help doing the paperwork. Heck we could setup a google.docs for it while said crazy goon uses that as a resource source.

I just dont have the magic to make it happen by myself, but hey, at least i can copy stuff from one monitor to the other and take screenshots! :haw: Couldn't be that hard to get a few goons to do similar things. "Ill take the Warlord Page!" "Dibs on Arch-Druid" and all that.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Answer is 'sort of', so far. I've cracked the text files and the gui/icon files so basically I just need to write an xslt or conversion app and I could have it displaying the Tome outside the game pretty easily, as a web page or whatever.

However that's getting borderline :filez: so I want to check and make sure what's okay to upload or show people first.

Sorry to jump back on this, but isn't there a "Tome of Wonders Wiki" yet?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh man I'm loving this game. Couldn't get into Age of Wonders 1 or 2 but I found them waaaaaay late so it was hard. I'm the biggest Heroes of Might and Magic nerd ever though, and this is pretty much what Heroes VI should have been. If not for lack of town screens, this would be HOMM. It also reminds me of Total War, which I also love.

The graphics are incredible! And the game plays really fast and slick for how complex it is.

Had a blast playing my first random map, although a sneaky dwarf bastard took my capital while I was busy expanding, so... game over. :smith:

I'm used to having a few turns to retake your capital from HOMM, I guess I'll have to be extra careful about protecting it.

The character customization kicks rear end, I made a proper wizard dude with white eyes and posed him all like a crotchedy old wizard. Civilization made you pick premade characters, these are way better.

Just read they released a map editor; that's great. Counting down until somebody makes a Game of Thrones themed map.

Malek posted:

I haven't found one yet and it was pretty awkward. I kinda expect everything to have a wiki immediately now, even if that's unrealistic. What is this, 2001? :cheeky:

I'd really like to look up all the spells and what exactly all those different traits you can pick 3 of to customize your dude do. I went with fire, more fire, and ... building? And that seemed good.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 8, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Zaphod42 posted:

Had a blast playing my first random map, although a sneaky dwarf bastard took my capital while I was busy expanding, so... game over. :smith:

I'm used to having a few turns to retake your capital from HOMM, I guess I'll have to be extra careful about protecting it.

I am reasonably sure the defeat condition is losing your throne city AND your leader - losing one or the other doesn't spell defeat until you've lost both. As long as your leader lives, you can fight your way back to your capital, and as long as your capital stands, you can fortify it 'till doomsday until your leader respawns.

I mean, granted, losing the resources and production of your capital early on is gonna kneecap you something fierce, but it still shouldn't be instant defeat unless your leader was also dead.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Nah you're right, both captial and leader must fall to defeat a player. I snagged a goblin players captial after she stole my expansion, leaving her trapped in a crappy city while i took the time to crush her. :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tomn posted:

I am reasonably sure the defeat condition is losing your throne city AND your leader - losing one or the other doesn't spell defeat until you've lost both. As long as your leader lives, you can fight your way back to your capital, and as long as your capital stands, you can fortify it 'till doomsday until your leader respawns.

I mean, granted, losing the resources and production of your capital early on is gonna kneecap you something fierce, but it still shouldn't be instant defeat unless your leader was also dead.

Ah yeah. That's another thing that's different from HOMM I just need to adapt to; in HOMM you had no "leader", just heroes. As long as you had one, you were fine. But yeah in this one you get other heroes, but they're not your "leader". I'll have to keep him alive too.

Thing is obviously your leader is gonna be your most powerful hero, right?

Would it be a smart strategy to keep your leader low level and safe at your home base, and instead use your hired heroes to level up and conquer people, in case you lose them?

It is nice your leader respawns after a few turns. If you lose another hero do they ever come back, or are they gone for good?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah yeah. That's another thing that's different from HOMM I just need to adapt to; in HOMM you had no "leader", just heroes. As long as you had one, you were fine. But yeah in this one you get other heroes, but they're not your "leader". I'll have to keep him alive too.

Would it be a smart strategy to keep your leader low level and safe at your home base, and instead use your hired heroes to level up and conquer people, in case you lose them?

It is nice your leader respawns after a few turns. If you lose another hero do they ever come back, or are they gone for good?

You can research a spell that'll resurrect your last killed hero. They still drop all their items unlike the leader so you still have to pick them back up.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

:siren: Do not keep your leader under-leveled in your throne city :siren:

If you do, and your attacked them you're pretty screwed if you lose that battle. You'll lose your leader and your throne, and your under-leveled leader will be easy pickings for a smart attacker. If you want to keep your leader safe at home, then it's better to have 2 heavily defended cities: your throne and the one your leader is in.

If you lose a hero they're gone for good, until you research Resurrect Hero which lets you bring them back. Pro-tip: Resurrect hero lets you summon the dead hero next to any city or hero (like a summon spell). If you don't care about losing items in their inventory you can actually suicide a hero and then cast resurrect hero as a cheap method of teleporting a hero around.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 8, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Malek posted:

I'm surprised there isn't honestly. It might be faster to just do it all manually, though I have all the text data ripped already so that could save some time.

Spells seem pretty easy, the values for them are stored locally right in the text file. Though I suppose those are not the actual data values for them, the devs would have to update those text files to keep the in-game description accurate so they are reliable enough. As Gerblyn mentioned though, units are the complicated part, and I haven't figured out the exact format of the .rpk files yet so I'm not yet sure how to reference say, 'Melee Strike' or determine what the value of it is for that unit yet.

I also need a decent .swf (Shockwave Flash) ripper that will just pull all of the files from a .swf, I've tried like 3 of them and two slapped awful watermarks onto the images and the other didn't have batch extraction.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
To use an entirely inappropriate chess analogy, Your leader is the Queen, your throne the King. MURDER PEOPLE WITH THE QUEEN! :black101:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm surprised there isn't honestly. It might be faster to just do it all manually, though I have all the text data ripped already so that could save some time.

Well gently caress, thats my usefulness at an end.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Early on, almost certainly not. Your leader represents a pretty significant fraction of your available combat power then, and one operating more or less for free, at that. Running about without your leader would put you at an early disadvantage.

Later on, it depends on your own strategy and the circumstances. A more aggressive player might want to keep his hero on the frontlines, being one of his most leveled units - especially so if fighting and winning an offensive war. A more cautious player might prefer to tuck his leader away in a safe corner if he's genuinely worried about losing important battles and his capital in short notice. It's all down to how much risk you want to absorb - but on the whole I'd personally say that trying to keep your leader safe in the back is probably only a preferred strategy if you're losing quite badly and have no real confidence in your ability to defend your capital from lunging strikes. Which would be pretty badly indeed.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well, I guess the question is, why can't we start one? A wiki that is.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Biggest reason to be careful with the leader in the mid to late game is that if it dies, you are out of global spellcasting for 3 turns. Heroes can only fill in so much, and fighting for example a warlord with relentless army up as a theocrat without holy war + condemn killing is...not fun :(. Not to mention being unable to dispell their enchantments(Chaos Rift :gonk:).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Malek posted:

Well, I guess the question is, why can't we start one? A wiki that is.

The answer is, as usual,

:effort:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Tomn posted:

A more cautious player might prefer to tuck his leader away in a safe corner if he's genuinely worried about losing important battles and his capital in short notice. It's all down to how much risk you want to absorb - but on the whole I'd personally say that trying to keep your leader safe in the back is probably only a preferred strategy if you're losing quite badly and have no real confidence in your ability to defend your capital from lunging strikes. Which would be pretty badly indeed.

If you prefer to use your leader in a safe role, turn it to sweeping your empires sites to expand your income. This means if your throne falls, or is in danger of, your leaders stack is somewhere within reasonable striking distance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thanks everybody, sounds like I was just being too aggressive at first and spread myself too thin.

The spells in this seem really cool. I really love the summon mount egg spell; I managed to get a poison boar, a skeleton dragon and some kinda spider mount before I lost my game. Riding around on a giant spider or a bone dragon is :black101: as gently caress, plus it actually gives you cool terrain bonuses and elemental resists and stuff? That's just too cool.

Oh hey another newbie question; So I'm playing this fire wizard and I have this spell that makes my town into tropical. There's also a spell that makes a target town really like tropical. I think I was already tropical to start with. Does that mean they didn't like that I was tropical, and if I cast that spell they'd have more happiness, or because they started there were they cool with it and that's more for terraforming other towns? Do different races have different preferences? I did notice elves could move through forests faster, which makes sense. How do I check if I'm already tropical, or does just having sand around imply that?

This game has some really cool mechanics and flavor. I just really wish I could look up all these little nagging questions on a wiki.

The in-game guide is decent, but doesn't cover eveyrthing. Also lack of a back button is killer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Thanks everybody, sounds like I was just being too aggressive at first and spread myself too thin.

The spells in this seem really cool. I really love the summon mount egg spell; I managed to get a poison boar, a skeleton dragon and some kinda spider mount before I lost my game. Riding around on a giant spider or a bone dragon is :black101: as gently caress, plus it actually gives you cool terrain bonuses and elemental resists and stuff? That's just too cool.

Oh hey another newbie question; So I'm playing this fire wizard and I have this spell that makes my town into tropical. There's also a spell that makes a target town really like tropical. I think I was already tropical to start with. Does that mean they didn't like that I was tropical, and if I cast that spell they'd have more happiness, or because they started there were they cool with it and that's more for terraforming other towns? Do different races have different preferences? I did notice elves could move through forests faster, which makes sense. How do I check if I'm already tropical, or does just having sand around imply that?

This game has some really cool mechanics and flavor. I just really wish I could look up all these little nagging questions on a wiki.

The in-game guide is decent, but doesn't cover eveyrthing. Also lack of a back button is killer.

Each race has certain terrain conditions that they like. A general rule is, every race likes one type of terrain, and most races dislike some climates of terrain.

There are spells to make your cities like certain climates and the terraforming spell can change the type, both are ways to make your cities happier. If you select a city and mouse over the face in the middle top of the screen, it'll give you a breakdown of terrain morale modifiers for that city. Hovering over a square will tell you its climate and terrain type. Sand is generally tropical barrens, for example. Orcs will like that because they don't care about it being tropical, and like barrens. Elves will loving hate it because they're wimps who get sunburn. Your preferred terrain type can exist on almost any climate, however, so if your elf city is stuck in a desert, plant a bunch of trees and they'll be fairly happy about it. They'll still complain about the heat but they are happier because there are forests around.

Also if you capture the heart of a certain climate, your cities will loving love it and it gives you a neat buff. Climate hearts are super great if you can grab them, especially if you have the spell that terraforms the world to that climate. Just be careful as climate hearts can be razed, so guard them if you're using them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 8, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

There actually is one, but it's so hard to see even I didn't know about it. If you look at the bottom left corner, then you'll see the page is curled up and there's an arrow there. That's the back button.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Different races (and individual units of other races, like the fey and elementals and giant and all that) have terrain preferences that you can see by mousing over the icon in the unit screen that looks like a drama mask.
If you want to see if a town likes the terrain it's in, hover over the drama mask on the right side of the town name display.

Each race has different preferences, with elves loving dense vegetation, goblins bein' alright with blight, that sort of thing.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Triskelli posted:

Seriously, all we need is a html dump like Civilopedia Online. Best of luck to Gwyrgyn Blood if he decides to take that on as a project.

Yup all we need is a html dump. Good luck to Triskelli if he does this.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
EDIT: ^^^^: I'd actually do this and purchase the domain name / hosting for it but I'm sure as hell not going to do it alone.

By the way, when doing research options, is it possible to turn the page? Or is it locked at 12 research options only?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Noir89 posted:

Biggest reason to be careful with the leader in the mid to late game is that if it dies, you are out of global spellcasting for 3 turns. Heroes can only fill in so much, and fighting for example a warlord with relentless army up as a theocrat without holy war + condemn killing is...not fun :(. Not to mention being unable to dispell their enchantments(Chaos Rift :gonk:).

... You can dispel chaos rift? This would change SO MUCH if the AI actually knew how to do it ahahah.

Malek posted:

EDIT: ^^^^: I'd actually do this and purchase the domain name / hosting for it but I'm sure as hell not going to do it alone.

By the way, when doing research options, is it possible to turn the page? Or is it locked at 12 research options only?

12, but there's always a certain guaranteed.. spread of spells. I forget the exact specifics but it's something like.. always have seafaring/advanced seafaring/road speed upgrade if you don't know them. Always +10 casting points until you max out. Then you have like a minimum of two combat spells, and possibly a guaranteed specialization spell or two. Whatever the exact rules for that, it's a good rule of thumb that if you want to unlock a specific piece of resarch, research whatever in your spellbook is in a similar category - combat spells for combat spells, passive upgrades for passive upgrades.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 8, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Edit : whoops doublepost

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Exmond posted:

Yup all we need is a html dump. Good luck to Triskelli if he does this.

All right you little snot-nosed fuckpump, here's your loving wiki

Gwyrgyn Blood, if you find a decent .swf ripper, I've got a google doc to copy-paste. Let me know if I should create something in a different format.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Wolpertinger posted:

12, but there's always a certain guaranteed.. spread of spells. I forget the exact specifics but it's something like.. always have seafaring/advanced seafaring/road speed upgrade if you don't know them. Always +10 casting points until you max out. Then you have like a minimum of two combat spells, and possibly a guaranteed specialization spell or two. Whatever the exact rules for that, it's a good rule of thumb that if you want to unlock a specific piece of resarch, research whatever in your spellbook is in a similar category - combat spells for combat spells, passive upgrades for passive upgrades.

I explain it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532785&pagenumber=36&perpage=40#post427691376

But yeah, in general, if you research X you'll get another X unlocked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glad to get an explanation of the 12 spells page thing, that was my next question.

Next newbie question; what effects a stack's healing? Do they always heal at the same rate? Do they heal faster in-town, or in their favorite type of terrain?

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you capture the heart of a certain climate, your cities will loving love it and it gives you a neat buff. Climate hearts are super great if you can grab them, especially if you have the spell that terraforms the world to that climate. Just be careful as climate hearts can be razed, so guard them if you're using them.

This is really cool, heart of the desert? Love it. Thanks for the explanation!

I was playing humans who would probably prefer fields to the burning desert, so that "like tropical" spell would have probably been handy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 8, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So this is probably an optimal way to do it but I didn't think of it before last night: I started the first dreadnought mission and the research was taking a while. after a couple of cities I decided on a 'how to' research method in order to get more things researched faster. I am assuming that knowledge lost does not count towards the next research item.

-Always research anything that takes only one turn. One turn at the start, if the thing you're researching is easy to research e.g. you make 100 knowledge points and it takes 50 to research, wastes 50 knowledge points. But if you were to research the same thing later you'd waste 300 knowledge points. This gets you through the lovely skills and onto the better ones.
-If your only options are 2-turns-to-research options and higher, pick the 2-turn research option that has the most amount of knowledge to research. The ones with the lowest amount of knowledge to research will become 1-turn-to-research once you've upgraded your cities, captured more places, etc.

For an example, if you research something that takes 7 turns but you have some 1-turn research options, then later you want a high level spell that only unlocks after you go through a lot of 1-turn researches, it'll take longer to do all the research in the long run. If you were to do all the 1-turns first then by the time you're done with them, the 7-turn research will probably only take 4 or 5 turns to research. Yeah I think you get the idea.

Of course you may want to skip some research trees entirely. I don't know enough to be able to judge though. And some things you may want to beeline for. This is just general optimization. For instance flame tanks took 22 turns (I think) to research at the start of my match but I researched a ton of 1-turn and 2-turn things and now flame tanks are down to 5-7 turns to research. I will get them a bit later than if I'd beelined but I will have ALL of the research finished faster in the end.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 8, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Glad to get an explanation of the 12 spells page thing, that was my next question.

Next newbie question; what effects a stack's healing? Do they always heal at the same rate? Do they heal faster in-town, or in their favorite type of terrain?

This is really cool, heart of the desert? Love it. Thanks for the explanation!

I was playing humans who would probably prefer fields to the burning desert, so that "like tropical" spell would have probably been handy.

Not sure about what else affects healing, but I do know that having a unit with a healing ability in a stack speeds up unit healing significantly. The hospital building (down the storehouse/baths line) also speeds up unit healing within the city, and the master's guild is the only way to heal machine units short of the "repair machine" ability.

With regards to humans, they like fertile plains, dislike arctic and subterranean terrain, and hate blighted and volcanic lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

redreader posted:

I am assuming that knowledge lost does not count towards the next research item.

Knowledge isn't lost. It will count toward the next research item. (The amount is indicated by a small white circle around the research item's picture.)

• Locked thread