Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Patch is out:

http://ageofwonders.com/v109-update/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kajeesus posted:

Note that your Tier IV unit, the Shrine of Smiting gets a bonus for every Devout unit on the battlefield, which all your non-hero units should be. If you attack with three stacks, they can easily do 100 damage per attack (half that against machines), and with the Seeker enchantment, they can attack over walls and at range with no penalty. If the dwarf keeps giving you grief, two shrines can take out even a juggernaut in a round or two.

Honestly, with stats like this the Theocrat already has their wizard-nuke, just give 'em a buffed up Shrine of Smiting and only let them build one :allears:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

:toot:

Thanks for all your hard work.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Thyrork posted:

A return of the more cosmic races might let the genie out of the bottle as to what exactly the wizards merlin banished 2000 years ago have been up too. Unless that's covered in the campaign already.

What im saying is, that'd be pretty great "in the future" content. :haw:

One thing that's really interesting about the game is that a lot of the shrines in the game world are of Age of Wonders 2 characters. A lot of them being of the banished wizards.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Excellent! Will the patch invalidate existing saves at all? (In other words, should I restart my campaign playthrough? Mind you, I might anyway just to see if I can beat Elf Map 2 without my army of giant treepeople, which I gather will be more difficult to acquire so early now.)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Excellent! Will the patch invalidate existing saves at all? (In other words, should I restart my campaign playthrough? Mind you, I might anyway just to see if I can beat Elf Map 2 without my army of giant treepeople, which I gather will be more difficult to acquire so early now.)

It won't invalidate saves, but if there's a fix in the actual campaign map, then you won't see the effect of that fix unless you restart the map (the save game is effectively a complete copy of the map, so when you load it, the system doesn't reference the actual map files to pick up on updates). Also, any shrines of smiting in the save will not be affected by the nerf (though newly produced ones will).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

:getin:

Something I've never understood about GoG is that their patch numbers always seem to be completely different than what they are supposed to be. This patch (which is 1.09) has the filename version as 2.0.1.5.

Quick question, is there any way to replace tunneled walls in this game? Sometimes you open a passage that you regret. :I

Kanfy posted:

This picture reminds me that I wish the minimap in III would be a bit clearer, as it is it's really difficult to see terrain under fog of war at a glance and it gets easily mixed up with unexplored terrain, especially with desert.

Yeah I agree with this. I did discover last night that when zoomed out to the paper map, you can left click on something to instantly zoom to it, which is a nice replacement for zoom-to-cursor.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drake_263 posted:

I just noticed an interesting minor bug, when you're casting Invoke Extraordinary Mount, the target hex is not valid if you have six units in the stack already. I'm assuming the spell uses the same targeting logic for viable hexes as actual summon spells do, despite summoning in an item and not a creature.

Are you sure? I've not had this and I've summoned mounts on plenty of six stacks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I feel like 80% of the things I post in this thread are complaints despite enjoying the game a great deal, but I also really wish there was some kind of a warning for when a battle is about to end due to no damage. Spent a couple of turns Blinding the enemy cannons in Elf 3 and as soon as I started charging it ended the fight. :arghfist::(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kanfy posted:

I feel like 80% of the things I post in this thread are complaints despite enjoying the game a great deal
Same :( I swear I'm really enjoying it a lot!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanfy posted:

I feel like 80% of the things I post in this thread are complaints despite enjoying the game a great deal, but I also really wish there was some kind of a warning for when a battle is about to end due to no damage. Spent a couple of turns Blinding the enemy cannons in Elf 3 and as soon as I started charging it ended the fight. :arghfist::(

I think it's because while the game is really solid and a pretty excellent example of how to do fantasy 4x combat, there's a bunch of stuff that would really improve the game and would presumably not be a huge amount of work.

It's both really good and really obviously improvable, so it makes you enjoy it, and also really want it to be better because you enjoy what's there already.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Kanfy posted:

I feel like 80% of the things I post in this thread are complaints despite enjoying the game a great deal

I suspect having a dev hang around the thread who takes feedback directly to the office leads to some of us pointing out problems with the game more fervently in the hopes of helping out. Of course, goons always complain anyways.

I've also been loving my time with the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's because while the game is really solid and a pretty excellent example of how to do fantasy 4x combat, there's a bunch of stuff that would really improve the game and would presumably not be a huge amount of work.

It's both really good and really obviously improvable, so it makes you enjoy it, and also really want it to be better because you enjoy what's there already.

Its the uncanny valley effect. The more something approaches perfection / the ideal, the more its flaws stand out. The further away it is, the more its just "its own thing" and you don't compare every little thing, they don't stand out as much, even if "its own thing" is less good overall.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
On the subject of Things We Love about this game, I'm just now finishing a Dwarf Theocrat game and, since this is the second to last class for me to try, I'm really beginning to notice the cool ways that each class has dealing with the end game. It does feel like your race/class combo really makes your play extremely different.

Warlords build some siege equipment but don't need to build a whole lot because (for me) they build so much cavalry and manticores that sieges had a sort of blitz feel to them: I was more involved with flanking the enemy and destroying their archers using high level flying units as shock troops to while my guys broke down the front walls.

My dreadnaught didn't build siege equipment because his class machines were good enough, and probably had the easiest early game aggression against neutrals because of his spy drones and their ability to blow up walls. Even with a mana core up, it was easy to summon one every turn to do something with.

The theocrat, though, desperately needs siege equipment because so much of his kit is based around buffing a swarm of smaller units. I began churning out martyr swarms to buff my shrines and more powerful First Borns. Plus, once the shrines are out, you commit to a slow play style that centers around a flotilla of devout infantry and ranged units shepherding the shrine so that it can tear apart larger enemy units, with the Exalted functioning as skirmishing units that hit the flanks. (and building for siege early is good because his Tier IV benefits from the experience buff that the master's guild gives to siege.)

The Druid didn't even need one siege machine. Between shock serpents, Horned Gods, and Vengeful Vines, there wasn't a city that could stand in his way. The druid's animal buffs are insane and make even those little boars and wargs you get from liberating level one farms really useful in the early game.

My sorcerer was pre-patch, which makes such a huge difference that I don't feel like I have a good grasp on that play style anymore, but that army felt a lot more mobile. Plus having Tier II infantry with levitate and a good portion of physical resistance means that anyone who isn't ready to counter you will take heavy losses. EDIT: In the early game, anyway. By late game phantom warriors are still useful but tend to be taken apart by the large amount of elemental damage flying around.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 9, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I love analysis like the stuff above, because the sooner we can start defining the metagame of the races and classes as a community the sooner we can help the developer improve that metagame in future patches, as well as defining absences in broader strategies that can possibly be filled by new races/classes/content.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Kajeesus posted:

Any part in particular? Once you've united the goblins, you have a fair amount of cities, which are pretty easy to defend as long as you hold the mountain pass directly to the west. Keep a rear guard in case they send a small force through or around the mountains, and send your entire main force through the pass. The dwarf has three metropoles around a volcano and he will probably try to defend all three at once, which lets you take them one by one, while crippling his forces. The human has a couple cities in the valleys north and south of these cities, which are his only means of attacking you. If you take them, he can only attack you through the mountain river. After taking his three cities, the dwarf can only attack you from underground (two entrances) or through the river. I recommend going for the dwarf's capital first (right below the three cities), because nearby is a teleporter that takes you straight to the human's city.

Unit-wise, stick mostly to the theocrat units and beetle/warg riders, with crusaders as a frontline and martyrs to keep your heroes alive. Research the Seeker spell and the Order upgrades that make your units Devout. Go easy on darters, even though against things other than dreadnoughts and dwarves, they're amazing, and prefer evangelists for healing. Get some trebuchets up, too, and lots of exalted when you get those. Once you take a dwarf city, you get access to the Firstborn, so pump those out.

If you have a hard time taking the dwarf's capital, you can send some forces up the river and take the human's cities, which are significantly easier to take, as he is not a dreadnought.

Note that your Tier IV unit, the Shrine of Smiting gets a bonus for every Devout unit on the battlefield, which all your non-hero units should be. If you attack with three stacks, they can easily do 100 damage per attack (half that against machines), and with the Seeker enchantment, they can attack over walls and at range with no penalty. If the dwarf keeps giving you grief, two shrines can take out even a juggernaut in a round or two.

EDIT: Circle around the city with two stacks; one of the others should be less guarded.

Thanks your tips helped, i managed to conquer the 3 cities around the volcano. From there on i don't see any problems.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Thanks your tips helped, i managed to conquer the 3 cities around the volcano. From there on i don't see any problems.

Oh hey I'm at the same part as you, although my heroes are a fair bit higher level (Sundren at 20, Nomlik at 19 and Groshak at 15). Screw units, my three guys took down the entire dwarven kingdom by themselves by turn 25. :black101:

The fact that Resurgence now applies to campaign heroes combined with the Theocrat leader ability that gives everyone Resurgence including himself makes the fights a fair bit easier since you don't have to worry about instant game overs all the time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any way to lock the cursor to the game window in a multimonitor setup when in borderless mode?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gerblyn, is there any chance that you're going to implement Steam Workshop support in this soon? Someone is going to make a map of Super Mario World eventually and I will literally die if I don't know about it the moment it happens.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 9, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Impermanent posted:

The theocrat, though, desperately needs siege equipment because so much of his kit is based around buffing a swarm of smaller units. I began churning out martyr swarms to buff my shrines and more powerful First Borns. Plus, once the shrines are out, you commit to a slow play style that centers around a flotilla of devout infantry and ranged units shepherding the shrine so that it can tear apart larger enemy units, with the Exalted functioning as skirmishing units that hit the flanks. (and building for siege early is good because his Tier IV benefits from the experience buff that the master's guild gives to siege.)

But exalted can fly! I can't say I built even one siege machine.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^^^ This is true, once you have a big enough ball of Exalted you can just drown everything in unending tides of kamikaze angels.

victrix posted:

Is there any way to lock the cursor to the game window in a multimonitor setup when in borderless mode?

There isn't a way to do it in the game options, no. However the camera in both the strategical and tactical map is bound to WASD in addition to the arrow keys so it was very easy for me to get used to using that instead of edge scrolling. I absolutely loathe using the arrow keys but WASD feels very natural.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Impermanent posted:

Gerbyln, is there any chance that you're going to implement Steam Workshop support in this soon? Someone is going to make a map of Super Mario World eventually and I will literally die if I don't know about it the moment it happens.

...I now have a project for the weekend.

e: Which class would Mario be? The stately 'stache says Dreadnought but the singular path of destruction he leaves says Warlord.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Taear posted:

But exalted can fly! I can't say I built even one siege machine.

It may be important to note that I was playing a dwarf, and that I found that first borns were lasting a lot longer in battles (versus a draconian warlord and fire-aspected human warlor.) I used exalted as flankers but used the first born as a front line. Against manticore riders I found that exalted tended to die quickly.

Triskelli I think Mario has to be a warlord versus a dreadnaught draconian Bowser and a sorcerer draconian Kamek. A lot of dragons, actually, in Mario-ville if you make Yoshi a draconian too. Koopalings can probably be goblins tho'. (Also the monty moles need to be dwarves)

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 9, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Impermanent posted:

It may be important to note that I was playing a dwarf, and that I found that first borns were lasting a lot longer in battles (versus a draconian warlord and fire-aspected human warlor.) I used exalted as flankers but used the first born as a front line. Against manticore riders I found that exalted tended to die quickly.

Exalted are hella cool, but they are one of the weaker Tier 3 units in terms of raw combat strength. They pay for resurgence and willpower by being noticeably weaker then Gryphon Riders and Draconian Flyers. In theory you can just doom-snowball with them and never take casualties but they definitely don't trade that effectively with some units. Very good in sieges, though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

madmac posted:

Exalted are hella cool, but they are one of the weaker Tier 3 units in terms of raw combat strength. They pay for resurgence and willpower by being noticeably weaker then Gryphon Riders and Draconian Flyers. In theory you can just doom-snowball with them and never take casualties but they definitely don't trade that effectively with some units. Very good in sieges, though.

Being disposable also opens up a lot of tactical options. Soaking attacks of opportunity and flanking are super useful when you're trying to take down some of the more dangerous Tier 4's.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Kanfy posted:

Oh hey I'm at the same part as you, although my heroes are a fair bit higher level (Sundren at 20, Nomlik at 19 and Groshak at 15). Screw units, my three guys took down the entire dwarven kingdom by themselves by turn 25. :black101:

The fact that Resurgence now applies to campaign heroes combined with the Theocrat leader ability that gives everyone Resurgence including himself makes the fights a fair bit easier since you don't have to worry about instant game overs all the time.

How did you get your heroes so high level :psyduck:?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Make them waste their action points on your exalted while you send the hard hitter at the dangerous dudes works most of the time

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

UberJumper posted:

How did you get your heroes so high level :psyduck:?

Exploration and always giving heroes the priority with hitting and killing stuff, most preferably whoever is the lowest level at the time. The more action your heroes get the better off you're in the next scenario since units don't carry over whereas hero levels do. It's the same deal as with the previous AoWs, although heroes aren't quite as broken in this one.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The OP has gotten a much needed clean up, sorry for the delay. :sweatdrop: If you have any posts you want to see moved into the Ongoing Infodump For Playing Better, let me know.

And we're set.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It should be pointed out that there should actually be a level cap in each level in the campaign. You shouldn't be able to get a hero past level 4 in Elf 1, for example. It turns out someone kind of forgot to transmit the data about the level cap into tactical combat though (:blush:), so heroes can break the cap while in battle...

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

It should be pointed out that there should actually be a level cap in each level in the campaign. You shouldn't be able to get a hero past level 4 in Elf 1, for example. It turns out someone kind of forgot to transmit the data about the level cap into tactical combat though (:blush:), so heroes can break the cap while in battle...

This explains so much, heh. It's also going to make the campaign even harder! :haw:

KnoxZone posted:

I think bringing back the Teleportation Gate from the previous game would go a long way to improving the endgame. I just did the final Commonwealth mission last night and it got to the point where I was clearly winning, but it still took 2-3 extra hours because I had dozens upon dozens of lone units rallying across the map to get to the enemy cities which were 10+ turns away. It drew out the game to an absurd length. On the plus side, doomstacks:

Is that the torchlighter path or the evil path? Did.. you /kill everyone/ on the torchlighter path? :psyduck:. I'm kind of amazed it was even possible.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 10, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Edit : whoops, doublepost

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So uhhh, i am getting way too many mounts as item drops. More specifically the Unicorn:

I still have not found a single piece of chest armor yet in the campaign.

Also i keep coming across explored treasure sites/ruins/dungeons, which i guess the AI has already explored. But after killing the AI's heroes they never seem to have anything on them, aside from the starting items. What exactly is the AI doing with their items?

Also one final request, there are Legendary/Mythical treasure dungeons. Getting non unique t3 units from these dungeons is kind of pointless (like a pack of human knights), since you most likely already have T3 units. It would be much nicer if instead of boring units we could get items, or unique units. Like the adorable baby kraken :3:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

UberJumper posted:

So uhhh, i am getting way too many mounts as item drops. More specifically the Unicorn:

I still have not found a single piece of chest armor yet in the campaign.

Also i keep coming across explored treasure sites/ruins/dungeons, which i guess the AI has already explored. But after killing the AI's heroes they never seem to have anything on them, aside from the starting items. What exactly is the AI doing with their items?

Also one final request, there are Legendary/Mythical treasure dungeons. Getting non unique t3 units from these dungeons is kind of pointless (like a pack of human knights), since you most likely already have T3 units. It would be much nicer if instead of boring units we could get items, or unique units. Like the adorable baby kraken :3:

You do know you can sell the unicorn instead of picking it up when it first drops, right? :P

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Wolpertinger posted:

This explains so much, heh. It's also going to make the campaign even harder! :haw:

Is that the torchlighter path or the evil path? Did.. you /kill everyone/ on the torchlighter path? :psyduck:. I'm kind of amazed it was even possible.

It was the Commonwealth Evil (although it isn't really evil) path. My final Torchlighter (Elf) mission I was the one facing all the doomstacks.

Thank goodness the final objective on that map isn't to kill everyone. I think it is probably doable, but you need to be insanely fast.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

UberJumper posted:

I do tend to find a lot of items on AI heroes when I kill them, although nothing too exciting. Perhaps they're trying to keep it so that the Sorcerer summon gives the best mounts? I know I haven't seen anything beyond hellhounds/unicorns as actual drops.

I completely agree about units though. If I get them I'm just selling them, I'd much rather have some nice items.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Wolpertinger posted:

You do know you can sell the unicorn instead of picking it up when it first drops, right? :P

Yeah i know, however i would much rather have something else. Gold doesn't mean much. Alot of the items are really neat, i just keep getting unicorns.

*EDIT* So the after going through the first 2 treasure dungeons in elf4, what do i get in each of them? A loving unicorn.

:negative:

*EDIT 2* There has to be something wrong. We are way past the point of the RNG screwing me.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 10, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I think I've noticed a bug. I am given a quest, but I didn't click accept (by accident). I go and do the quest anyway, then wonder why nothing is happening.
Then I accept it, but as the thing they wanted me to do is gone, it doesn't count any more.

Even stranger they then give me a new quest (to kill some faeries) and those faeries attack an explorer I have nearby, killing him...yet it acts like the quest is done.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 10, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

UberJumper posted:

Yeah i know, however i would much rather have something else. Gold doesn't mean much. Alot of the items are really neat, i just keep getting unicorns.

*EDIT* So the after going through the first 2 treasure dungeons in elf4, what do i get in each of them? A loving unicorn.

:negative:

*EDIT 2* There has to be something wrong. We are way past the point of the RNG screwing me.

This was posted about earlier. Due to <some logic error in the code> only about 10 of 100 items drop most of the time, and this will be fixed at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

It was the Commonwealth Evil (although it isn't really evil) path. My final Torchlighter (Elf) mission I was the one facing all the doomstacks.

Thank goodness the final objective on that map isn't to kill everyone. I think it is probably doable, but you need to be insanely fast.

It isn't? The non-torchligher path for elf is pretty blatantly evil, heh - deciding to exterminate all of humanity, and any survivors will be enslaved, only as a favor to Julia since she'd feel bad if they all died.

• Locked thread