Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, I hated micromanaging my mines and nodes. There are better ways to do it.

I'd prefer some sort of ability for the attacker to maybe disrupt or devalue them instead of the monotonous back-and-forth capturing in SM.

As long as we don't lose the ability to raze them. I loved my scorched earth invasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, I hated micromanaging my mines and nodes. There are better ways to do it.

I'd prefer some sort of ability for the attacker to maybe disrupt or devalue them instead of the monotonous back-and-forth capturing in SM.

As long as we don't lose the ability to raze them. I loved my scorched earth invasions.

Perhaps NPC convoys that move between the mine and it's province HQ? Or placing a party on a mine's trade route path would let them act as kind of highwaymen, taking a chunk of the money produced until they're removed.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Placing units ON the income structure takes that income but its not "Yours" until its inside your influence or outside of everyone else's?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
There should be a way of economically disrupting people, both covertly(say "neutral" units that you control but show up neutral to everyone else) and overtly. Its kind of an important part of the game being able to manage your resources efficiently.

To the Triumph Studio goon, please make sure the campaigns(if there are some) are as open ended as possible. That was one of the funnest parts of AoW was replaying it multiple times with different starting heroes and strategies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowmorn posted:

Placing units ON the income structure takes that income but its not "Yours" until its inside your influence or outside of everyone else's?
Something like this sounds good to me. It wasn't that you could send a single high-move unit to capture a shipyards or something, it was that they could send one single high-move unit to capture half the map. It wasn't hunting down the rogue unit that was annoying, it was the cleaning up afterwards.

Maybe keep capturing as-is, but have any unoccupied locations within your influence automatically start converting to your control over the space of a couple of turns. Say, at the end of your turn any unoccupied facilities owned by someone else get turned to neutral status, and any already neutral unoccupied facilities get converted to your side. So capturing a location and moving on denies the resources to the original owner for the two turns it takes to re-establish control (unless they go take it back personally) but at no gain to you, while leaving your unit camping on it funnels you resources until it gets killed/you move on (at which point the above happens). Or you can choose to raze/loot it over a couple of turns.

e: Obviously cities would not convert like this, if it's even possible to have a city under someone else's influence.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 9, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm kicking myself for not hearing about this game before, but I'll definitely be following updates closely. Just seeing the Dreadnaught in his full suit of armor with a cup of tea managed to really hit a chord, as well as the game being gourgeous and looking like a fun as hell 4X from such an early stage.

Gerblyn posted:

Well, thematically a Wizard's Tower doesn't really make sense in the game. Half the classes aren't actually magic users, after all.

Just thinking about this though, the idea of a Leader "Retreat" where passive abilities are increased still has merit. Like the Sorcerer could conjure world changing spells from their tower, the Dreadnaught could improve construction rates at his workshop, a Warlord could raise veterans at his Headquarters, etc. Just have them take over and retrofit the same neutral building.

But yeah, can't wait for more glimpses at the game.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Heh, replayed AOW then used cheats to see the other endings.

Spoil'd for the people who might be reading the letsplay of it: Oh god, every ending is so gloomy and bitter holy crap. :allears: Only keeper elf path is anything with a happy ending for nearly everyone. Both of the undead endings are just horrible!

It is the same person who wrote AOW1, AOW2, SM and now AOW3 right? Because hot drat. It might be standard fantasy but its enjoyably well written nether the less! :haw:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Any news on figuring out how to decrease performance of multi-unit formations as the individual units die off?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

Any news on figuring out how to decrease performance of multi-unit formations as the individual units die off?

I've passed on all the suggestion to various designers, so we'll just have to see what they make of it. We're all really busy at the moment trying to get to the alpha stage, so details like that will probably have to wait until we're working towards beta.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Shadowmorn posted:

Heh, replayed AOW then used cheats to see the other endings.

Spoil'd for the people who might be reading the letsplay of it: Oh god, every ending is so gloomy and bitter holy crap. :allears: Only keeper elf path is anything with a happy ending for nearly everyone. Both of the undead endings are just horrible!

It is the same person who wrote AOW1, AOW2, SM and now AOW3 right? Because hot drat. It might be standard fantasy but its enjoyably well written nether the less! :haw:

I'm currently playing AoW2 for the first time (I enjoyed AoW1 immensely, but never really got around to checking out the sequels. Planning to get right into shadow magic afterwards), and while I find nothing objectionable in the storyline itself, I really hope the voice acting improves, because the AoW2 voice acting is horrible.

On the topic of singleplayer storytelling though; will AoW3 feature more immersive delivery within missions (be it separate cutscenes, or just zooming in on units on the map while they act out some story-related scripted sequence within their current location) or will it still just be textbox pop-ups for in-mission storydumps?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Slashrat posted:

On the topic of singleplayer storytelling though; will AoW3 feature more immersive delivery within missions (be it separate cutscenes, or just zooming in on units on the map while they act out some story-related scripted sequence within their current location) or will it still just be textbox pop-ups for in-mission storydumps?

I don't know, to be quite honest. My main focus is on gameplay mechanics, mostly tactical combat and a lot of the world map stuff, most of the campaigns and cutscene things are handled by other people. In engine cutscenes have definitely been mentioned, but I haven't seen any in play yet.

Shadowmorn posted:

Yep, we have the same writer and the same composer as before.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

I've passed on all the suggestion to various designers, so we'll just have to see what they make of it. We're all really busy at the moment trying to get to the alpha stage, so details like that will probably have to wait until we're working towards beta.

Glad to hear that it is being looked at, since this is a pretty important issue in terms of making the player feel like they are truly commanding an army. Personally, I feel very strongly about it and not having some sort of impact on the formation's performance as a result of units dying off would considerably reduce the appeal of the combat for me.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dumb question: have you guys considered letting Dreadnought classes build railways over their roads? Between A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, I'm growing fond of light steampunk in a medieval setting. The idea of pikmen formations unloading from boxcars just sounds wonderfully anachronistic.

Serious question: is Dreadnought really the name you're settled on? Perfect name for the massive landship from the trailer, but a little awkward for the name of a person.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 10, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Triskelli posted:

Dumb question: have you guys considered letting Dreadnought classes build railways over their roads? Between A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, I'm growing fond of light steampunk in a medieval setting. The idea of pikmen formations unloading from boxcars just sounds wonderfully anachronistic.

Serious question: is Dreadnought really the name you're settled on? Perfect name for the massive landship from the trailer, but a little awkward for the name of a person.

Your dumb question is not dumb at all, i'd love that if it was a dreadnaught spell! Maybe casting it between two owned cities to make the roads even better for movement point saving. :haw:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just make it an analog of the Master of Magic spell Enchanted Roads. Except, y'know, choo choos.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
AOW(2 and SM, not sure about 1) has that spell. Its an earth one and i think it doesn't discriminate so it can hilariously backfire when someone blitz's you with a stack of knights. :dota101:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Shadowmorn posted:

AOW(2 and SM, not sure about 1) has that spell. Its an earth one and i think it doesn't discriminate so it can hilariously backfire when someone blitz's you with a stack of knights. :dota101:

I thought the benefit was only given to friendly (ie, you or your allies) units. I remember the description saying so at least.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I won't be happy unless my tiny iron horses are physical units and high-speed transports. :colbert:

Really, I'm just considering what Dreadnought gameplay would be like. Just idle speculation, not really asking for requests. Maybe a number of researchable spells are replaced with permanent upgrades for units, like upgrading human musketmen to riflemen with increased accuracy.

I'm ready to get World War One up in here is what I'm saying. Emphasis on defense, mobility within borders, and a handful of really solid siege breaking units. Stat buff and debuff related spells like gas canisters, health packs, increased morale. The Dreadnought decides his battles at the walls of a city, either his or yours.

(Also, looking back at the trailer it looks like there'll be Dwarven Musketmen and some sort of fighter plane unit?)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm going to play the hell out of the Dreadnaught because its become a thematic love of mine to see fantasy settings where the march of technology has not stopped because magic, and in some cases, learned to bend Magic to its will.

Wizard? Fine, you summon that lightning storm over my captial, it is all fuel to my Storm Reactors as they feed power to my legions of Steel Automatons.
Rogues? No shadows to hide in within the ashen remains of your cities, leveled by my bomb blimps.
Warlords? I will meet your horseback charge with a tank one. Flesh breaks upon iron.
And when it comes down to a fight, i will don piston assisted armour, draw a Pneumatic Pike and take up my Lightning Staff. :science:

Even if its nothing like this, i will enjoy the hell out of being a mundane leader who uses his/her brain to lead a nation to fight others who literally have the powers of creation at their fingertips. And i'll win.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm curious to see if customizing your race/character goes beyond your class: so far Dreadnaughts have that steampunk thing going on, and Theocrats blend the crusader theme with literal angels from the heavens, but will going Dreadnaught always mean steampunk stuff and et cetera? Will your alignment + race will have a combined effect on how your dudes look, so evil Dreadnaught Dwarves would be amoral, jingoistic imperialists or evil Theocrat Humans will summons demons instead of a heavenly host? Ramshackle, Mad-Max-esque Goblin technology that would make 40K Orks proud?

i want to believe

vvv: Oh well, I'm sure what I want to see is a bit much, especially in these times where asset creation isn't cheap. I'm still glad that classes work across all races and you can get fun stuff like angelic goblins!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 11, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

toasterwarrior posted:

i want to believe

I think it's going to be fairly consistent between races going by this concept art:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Triskelli posted:

I think it's going to be fairly consistent between races going by this concept art:

That seems fairly boring, why can't the races have their own divinities? Humans can have the generic angelic stuff while dwarves and goblins worship some form of underground deity, maybe an obese lady?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Maybe to maintain some visual coherence when you're fielding units from different races? Unless it has changed for AoW3, you don't pick a single race but draw on whatever races that live in the cities you own.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just saying a little variation is nice, like maybe bat wings instead of angelic wings for evil-aligned theocrats. I just find it funny that the theocrat class is so bound to Christian symbolism, with halos and angels.

Also, really intrigued by the idea of turning the Archons/Highmen into the Undead faction (love the little detail that they're not skeletons but pale skin stretched over bones). That and what I've seen about the campaign suggests some pretty interesting writing.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I don't think there is alignment? Unless I missed something you choose a race and a class and that's it. There is no more "Evil" section.

The two factions are the commonwealth and fancy prancy dancy nancies. Or whatever the elf faction calls themselves.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

I don't think there is alignment? Unless I missed something you choose a race and a class and that's it. There is no more "Evil" section.

The two factions are the commonwealth and fancy prancy dancy nancies. Or whatever the elf faction calls themselves.

Yeah, no alignments. The Trailer implied to me that the leader class choice might occupy that kind of vibe. Rogues are not nice looking leaders, neither are warlords.

Hum, if anything, it might be like the different spirits you could build altar's too?

Warlords and Rogues are War.
Arch-Druids are Nature.
Theocrats and Dreadnaughts are Order.
Wizards are Magic.

Triskelli posted:

Just saying a little variation is nice, like maybe bat wings instead of angelic wings for evil-aligned theocrats. I just find it funny that the theocrat class is so bound to Christian symbolism, with halos and angels.

Also, really intrigued by the idea of turning the Archons/Highmen into the Undead faction. That and what I've seen about the campaign suggests some pretty interesting writing.

Valid, but as you mentioned, the symbolism has been in since the Archons/Highmen. I imagine the Theocrats are more emulating them, rather then embracing monotheism. :3:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 11, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's still alignments, it's just that it's decided through actions in game rather than chosen at the start and locked in. Or so we've been told, anyway.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zurai posted:

There's still alignments, it's just that it's decided through actions in game rather than chosen at the start and locked in. Or so we've been told, anyway.

Found something to that effect trawling the official forums. What I thought was interesting is that alignment is also effected by stuff like the personal profile and colors you choose for your faction. (link)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Are there going to be lots of interesting terraforming/land altering spells available?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Triskelli posted:

Found something to that effect trawling the official forums. What I thought was interesting is that alignment is also effected by stuff like the personal profile and colors you choose for your faction. (link)

Nabbed for the second post because its interesting. :aaa:

Geokinesis posted:

Are there going to be lots of interesting terraforming/land altering spells available?

We saw at least one during the pre-alpha footage, as the theocratic player restored the lands that had been turned to wastelands.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Splicer posted:

The Good/Neutral/Evil thing was fun for its time but there should at least be a way of shutting that off. It could be very limiting in AoW multiplayer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Triskelli posted:

Found something to that effect trawling the official forums.
(link)
If your alignment gradually changes over the course of the game (as tis implies) then that would be ridiculously hard to represent units-wise. You'd need three variations of each (good, neutral, evil) at minimum, and without some interstitials you'd have points where your army starts flickering back and fourth between drastically different models whenever you were near a threshold.

Triskelli posted:

What I thought was interesting is that alignment is also effected by stuff like the personal profile and colors you choose for your faction.

quote:

If you want to play an evil Goblin Theo, pick some nice dark player colors, like blood Red on sinister Black (which will be applied on your units, replacing the White/Yellow on the robes of the concept art), choose “Graveyard Gloom” as your leader portrait ambience, raze some heathen cities and you’ll be all the rage at your annual evil fantasy despots gathering.
Pretty sure that bit is just saying that if you want to play an Evil Theocrat you should take red-and-black so your dudes look more evilly, not because it actually makes you more evil. Colour-based alignment adjustments would be pretty :psyduck:

As an aside, it's very possible to play an Evil Empire with "Good" imagery. The crusades come to mind, as does the inquisition. You can't quite go Blood For The Blood God but you can quite easily play We're Genociding You Because You Deserve It.

e: Actually I would be quite upset if my crusade against the evil orcs and goblins of the world caused my angels to turn all demon-looking just because I was burning their filthy heathen villages to the ground :colbert:

e2: In case that was overly subtle I meant that obviously burning down orc villages should make my alignment go Evil, but I'd find it much more enjoyable if I'm able to insist that I must be doing the right thing, I have all these angels on my side.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 11, 2013

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

That's the idea, though currently we're not completely decided on what impact different types of terrain should actually have.

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure that bit is just saying that if you want to play an Evil Theocrat you should take red-and-black so your dudes look more evilly, not because it actually makes you more evil. Colour-based alignment adjustments would be pretty :psyduck:

This. I'm pretty sure that alignment is entirely based on your in game actions, with some minor racial modifiers. AFAIK your choice of color has no in game effect.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gerblyn posted:

This. I'm pretty sure that alignment is entirely based on your in game actions, with some minor racial modifiers. AFAIK your choice of color has no in game effect.

Sorry, that was a pretty terrible misread on my part. Note to self, get more sleep.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Splicer posted:

Colour-based alignment adjustments would be pretty :psyduck:
I, for one, feel that the Purple Menace has rampaged across our fair Yellow lands for long enough! Down with the Purple! Up with Yellow!

And then we can go kill those Green jerks who refused to go halves with us on Steamcraft...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I spent so much time playing the Age of Wonders scenarios when I was about 10-12 years old. That game was fantastic, even though I never managed to get into the similar Heroes of Might & Magic series due to sucking at it. Didn't like Age of Wonders II all that much either, I'm not sure why.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Any news?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Not as far as I'm aware. Everyone's really busy trying to complete the alpha at the moment, so I'm not really in the loop as far as press releases go though.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shadowmorn posted:

I'm going to play the hell out of the Dreadnaught because its become a thematic love of mine to see fantasy settings where the march of technology has not stopped because magic, and in some cases, learned to bend Magic to its will.

Wizard? Fine, you summon that lightning storm over my captial, it is all fuel to my Storm Reactors as they feed power to my legions of Steel Automatons.
Rogues? No shadows to hide in within the ashen remains of your cities, leveled by my bomb blimps.
Warlords? I will meet your horseback charge with a tank one. Flesh breaks upon iron.
And when it comes down to a fight, i will don piston assisted armour, draw a Pneumatic Pike and take up my Lightning Staff. :science:

Even if its nothing like this, i will enjoy the hell out of being a mundane leader who uses his/her brain to lead a nation to fight others who literally have the powers of creation at their fingertips. And i'll win.

I've always found it odd that tech and magic are often at odds. Are there many things where they work together, not one taking the place of the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bloodly posted:

I've always found it odd that tech and magic are often at odds. Are there many things where they work together, not one taking the place of the other?

I think part of the problem is that "magic" in fantasy settings is rather undefinable as a whole. What magic IS and what it can do varies wildly from work to work, and is often marked as "anything 'science' cannot do, or is not aware of". Stuff like summoning, teleportation etc. don't operate within the normal bounds of physics, but on the flipside if magic were sufficiently understood in any given setting it would be a science unto itself.

Fortunately though, this setting doesn't seem to focus on a magic/technology rift, but rather the conflict between immigrating humans and the magical creatures they're displacing.

• Locked thread