Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Holy poo poo how did I miss this. The AoW games were so amazing. I am super stoked for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

The last mission in Shadow Magic was insane fun. I also remember people remaking that map to be multiplayer, which was epic on hard.

Are maps in this one going to have multiple levels like in the previous games? I always loved getting lost in the monster cave labyrinths that some maps had, especially AoW1 with the two levels of cave.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

On the bright side, I mentioned to my boss about people wanting dire penguins and a few days ago someone concepted them. Assuming nothing goes horribly wrong, then they're back in the game.

You are a wonderful person. The mission in SM that had all the warning signs leading up to the Dire Penguin Vault was amazing. Who doesn't love those adorable abominations of hell?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

That footage looks simply wonderful. I am still super giddy about this.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Does the main hero need to be in a wizard tower to cast spells in faraway battles like in 2/SM?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

At the moment, no, they can cast spells anywhere. We're playing round with different ideas with it though, like maybe have it so the leader can only cast spells in their own domain or where another hero is present. There's also thoughts of having the leader use a different pool of casting points in battle, so that spells cast their don't interfere with spells cast in the world map.

This is spiffy. I always hated having my main dude shackled to a town in order to be useful.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Leprechauns are jerks and need to all die. drat those happy little bastards as they dance on the corpses of my best army.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Air magic was always a favorite of mine, and was how I managed to beat the final level of the Shadow Magic campaign. Haste offsets your dwarves' main weakness, Seeker and Wind Ward make your cannons nigh unstoppable (until you enter the shadow realm at least), and of course most of the shadow demons are weak to all the lightning damage you're throwing around.

I almost forgot how awesome the final mission in SM was. So much needs to be done, but you are so limited in resources. Thankfully they made your main city is a Dwarf town, which is undoubtedly the best faction in the game :black101:. I just wish your allies did something instead of just dying horribly.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Question: Is there anything wrong(story or gameplaywise) with just dropping right in to AoW2:SM without finishing the other games? I got a good way in to vanilla 2(started the life mage campaign) a while ago but but lost my save and don't feel like playing through all the content I've already done. Recently my video card died so I gotta entertain myself with games that don't bother with trifles like graphics.

The stories basically have no connection with each other, so there is no real loss by skipping to SM.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Raygereio posted:

I couldn't find a general AoW thread, so I'm just going to ask this here: Does anyone know of a decent strategy for Shadow Magic's final level?

It has been a long while, but I remember holding my main city with an army of Runemasters and Cannons while my heroes and knights went and did the objectives. Once you get to the Shadow Realm the mission is basically won.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Getting super hyped for this.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Dwarf Dreadnoughts are not pleasant to fight.

A lot of good people died this day.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

TasmanianX posted:

Is that 5 steam tanks up on his battlements?

6!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Ok, someone who has made it through the Torchbearer Campaign, how do you capture the enemy leaders? I thought I was supposed to kill them with a melee attack from the hero that had the magic wand, but that doesn't seem to do anything, and capturing the enemy capital is an automatic mission failure.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Whew, finally beat the Elf campaign. That final mission gets insane tough if you aren't fast.

Was starting to get a bit surrounded at the end.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

Good god, the final Torchlighter path for commonwealth mission. I'm 18 turns in and I just lost my capital city! I don't even know where to start here, hahah - I move in one direction to counter one of the SEVEN PEOPLE attacking me and one of the others comes from the other direction, aaahh. The 3 elven court dudes are at war against the four commonwealth dudes, but since they place you and all your capturable cities literally smack dab in the middle, you're in the way! I thought i saw someone else on this mission earlier, anyone got any suggestions? 'rush' doesn't seem like as safe of a tactic here when you're so utterly surrounded.

The campaign's so masochistic, but I love it anyway - it seems like each mission is designed to push you further and further out of your comfort zone and have you try and surmount increasingly lopsided starts.

Rushing is still the correct choice in the matter. With your level 20 heroes plus starting forces plus reinforcements you should be able to clear one faction out. You might lose a couple cities to the other side, but nothing that can't be dealt with eventually.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Alright, just had my first game as an Elf Warlord, and holy gently caress are Elf Horse Archers loving insane. Never bothered with a single t3 or t4 unit that entire game.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Boy, sometimes the game really throws you a bone. In the first two Commonwealth missions I found a grand total of 4 of the rings that give +40% physical resistance. Having two heroes immune to physical damage makes things rather nice.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I think bringing back the Teleportation Gate from the previous game would go a long way to improving the endgame. I just did the final Commonwealth mission last night and it got to the point where I was clearly winning, but it still took 2-3 extra hours because I had dozens upon dozens of lone units rallying across the map to get to the enemy cities which were 10+ turns away. It drew out the game to an absurd length. On the plus side, doomstacks:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

Seeing as this is like the defacto AOW thread now, would anyone mind helping me out with an AOW:SM question. I have got a random scenario map game at the moment and my capital city is right next to a shadow portal. I sent my scouts inside and it looks like a cool crazy alien world in there. I would very much like to settle inside it and build a colony with which to expand. However, I noticed my units have some sort of debuff when they are inside the shadowland, and I am wondering if there is a way to combat this curse?

I am very jealous of you all playing AOW3, I am going to wait until I can afford it until I make the plunge, I am loving how great AOW:SM is though. The game is what... 10 years old? It still plays brilliantly.

There is a spell you can research that removes shadow sickness from the unit it is casted on, iirc the spell is a fairly early research. The game also has 2 races (Shadow Demons and Syrons) who are immune to the poison and nautrally inhabit the shadow realm, so you will probably find some of their cities around. Machines and some summoned units are also unaffected.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

This explains so much, heh. It's also going to make the campaign even harder! :haw:

Is that the torchlighter path or the evil path? Did.. you /kill everyone/ on the torchlighter path? :psyduck:. I'm kind of amazed it was even possible.

It was the Commonwealth Evil (although it isn't really evil) path. My final Torchlighter (Elf) mission I was the one facing all the doomstacks.

Thank goodness the final objective on that map isn't to kill everyone. I think it is probably doable, but you need to be insanely fast.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

It isn't? The non-torchligher path for elf is pretty blatantly evil, heh - deciding to exterminate all of humanity, and any survivors will be enslaved, only as a favor to Julia since she'd feel bad if they all died.

The Human path involves you overthrowing the Emperor and toppling the Elven Court so you can lead all the races into a future filled with peace and helpful machines. Everything goes swell for a while! It is definitely a lot friendlier compared to the Elf path.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I'm on the second elven campaign mission and keep wondering: Is there an optimal way to build certain heroes? And how does the AI act during campaign missions, is it more passive than on regular maps? Because I've been fooling around with independent armies and just leveling up my dudes. Now I'm afraid the AI is building huge doomstacks in the meantime.

The only real hero advice worth giving is to make sure your main hero for each mission has all the stack buffs. Thankfully the game resets all points put into your main hero and previous missions main hero, so you aren't permanently locked with leadership skills on all your heroes.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

One thing I find a bit silly in the campaign: Why does every hero start at level 1? This makes enemy heroes a total joke, especially on the last few missions. Nothing like seeing the main leader of the enemy faction as a level 1 scrub getting beat down by a single Berserker.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Man, the game is kicking my rear end.

Stuck on the second Elf mission like a goddamn scrub. I try to collect all the gold/mana/exp from independents but in the meantime the AI builds huge doomstacks of shadows and succubi and just kills my rear end in an open engagement. It also seems really good at setting up backstabs and going for my mission critical hero.

Be aggressive, as the previous poster said. Also, know that Shadow Stalkers are really dangerous against physical units, but melt fast to spells and magic units. Load up on them and you shouldn't have to worry about them so much.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

MrBims posted:

Up to seven stacks can participate in a battle - the stack targeted to be attacked, and the stacks on every tile around it. If you move your stacks in pairs, you will have up to 12 units in a battle if one is attacked. If you move your stacks in triangles, you will have up to 18 units in a battle if one is attacked.

42 unit battles are pretty hilarious and epic, especially if you can get one to occur on the open field. So much glorious carnage.

I do think T1/T2 units are fine, though. They obviously fall off a ton in the extreme late game, but you can go a long way with Elf Longbowmen, Draconian Elders, Musket Dudes, or Orc Black Knights. 4 Tier 1 Elf Archers can kill a Manticore Rider with ease.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 16, 2014

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

You can technically have even more by summoning units in battle, right?

Yep! Also, this is what a 42 man battle against a turtling Dreadnought looks like:

Many brave souls died in this fight.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

That is an amazing patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

It would be nice having a race that specializes in cold attacks. So few units and spells use that element.

• Locked thread