Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Whoa, glad I decided to check Games today. Love AoW 1 and Shadow Magic, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

Though... what's up with those battle screenshots? It looks like they've switched to a HoMM style grid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Picked up the original off Steam and jumped right into Oracle's Eye. Kind of surprised how much all the strats and micro came right back to me.

Call me skeptical about this new one though. Biggest question for me, in the fiction will there be a character who's mistaken for dead yet shackled to vengeance??

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
When AoW III was announced I went back and played the cult of storms campaign in the original. I went full air magic and was reminded how good it was. Chain lightning was basically the best battle spell, just for its chance to stun units. Air also had the best beast summon, there were a couple late game levels where I defeated one of the factions by turn 7 by summoning an eagle, flying it over and taking an undefended/weakly defended town and when the enemy leader came to recapture it, town-gating an attack party over.

Of course by the end I had given my super-kill-guy melee hero vision III and 50 movement points then casted haste and wind walking on him :getin:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
You can skip AoW1 if you really want, but I think it holds up great. This is still required viewing though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5gpsfLCnJU

And while you're at it rock out to the menu too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAmlx3H3gBE

e; I mean, if you don't want to play that loving game after watching those then I think you're in the wrong thread.

Fledgling Gulps fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 29, 2013

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
That writeup got me pretty hype. Sounds like just what I was hoping for. And I was happy to see unit flanking/positioning is a thing. I can't remember if it was in SM, definitely wasn't in 1 though and it's a tactical mechanic I like a lot.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Putting one of those mini-LP style promotional videos right on the Steam page is a cool thing more games should do.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
I always thought the concealment abilities in AoW1 were completely useless, but I never played mp.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.

Gerblyn posted:

Yes, sorry! Edited my post :)

Edit: Karagh are like T4 goblins in AoW:SM, right? I genuinely don't know, we're all focused on actually finishing the game yet, I don't believe there are any real concrete plans for what will appear in the expansions.

And in AoW1. Karaghs were the only T4 land melee unit worth a drat.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
What was so great about Azracs again? Granted the elephant was the best battering ram and they had fast cavalry but other than that they were kinda scrub tier.

Orcs were hands down the best race. Strong tier 1 footmen, beefy tier 2 cavalry and a special ballista, motherfucking tier 3 WARLORDS, and a flying/ranged attack tier 4 dragon.

Sounds like AoW3 Orcs are gonna be my boys again too

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Which is six in the evening, GMT, for reference.

Couldn't you Yanks have picked one of your eastern time zones to organise game releases around? :negative:

Valve is west coast based which is why they usually release stuff on their store at 10 AM PST.

As for me, Monday is the end of my workweek and I happen to have a morning 4-noon shift that day :morning:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Are there any unit buffs you cast in the geoscape or are they all battlescape spells now? That seems like one of the bigger re-balances from previous games to me. Offset somewhat by the hero abilities that grant +1 stat here or there I guess. I'm still going to miss doom stacks with enchanted weapon, unholy champion, fire halo, stone skin etc. etc. though.

Fledgling Gulps fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 2, 2014

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
If a hero has two rifles they should be able to fire every turn :colbert:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
I guess it's a map size thing. My last couple games have been on medium maps with undergrounds, against 4 AI. Usually win with a few stacks of T2s and 3s. My sorc game I did have a bunch of Eldritch Horrors just because I could summon one right to me every turn. Dreadnought game though I never researched past fire tanks and cannons.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
I managed to convert an enemy fire giant, then I thought I'd buff him to make sure he survived so cast that warlord spell that adds like 3 damage. I didn't realize it also gives strong will, which canceled the conversion. :negative:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I agree about this, I think they could stand to add some more unique abilities to some of the T1/2 units, maybe just some once-per-battle kind of things. Like, where's Round Attack? Or a melee strike that pierces through a hex. Human units in particular are kind of boring. I just would like there to be more racial units that are as distinct as Goblin Swarm Darters and Draconian Flamers.

And on the subject of stuff that's missing, where the heck did global attack spells go? Like Firestorm and the like. Their absence means there's no reason not to bunch up your armies all the time. :I

I'd love to see a round attack animation now that the units are multiple little dudes.

edit; and there is a lightning global attack, but it only effects 1 hex. useful against machines though.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Some of these T4 slugfests are pretty rad. I just had a battle between a fire and stone giant and a horned god. And some shamans running around just for scale.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Really? I had a crusader with a couple buffs, weapon kit and instant retaliation I think, and the AI dispelled him.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
I have 51 hours clocked and actually haven't touched the scenarios or campaigns yet. Random maps all day erry day.

Been going through all the race/classes, currently on turn 100 of an island hopping Orc Theocrat game. And man I really should not have left the Dreadnought for last :gonk:. I'm going to need to cast Armageddon just to counter-act all the inherit spirit immunity.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Does the Shrine of Smiting get bonus damage from every devout unit in a battle or just the Shrine's own stack?

edit; tested it, think it's everyone in the battle

Fledgling Gulps fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 24, 2014

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
If I can ask a cheevo question, what does the Master of the Unknown (win a random scenario) refer to exactly? I don't see a way to start a random scenario? Unless it means random map, but I've already done a bunch of those.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Oh man I need to start reading the description texts more closely. I just found out stone walls increase domain radius. :doh:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
At least real Lizardmen are back in some form

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
drat, just lost a game for the first time. Playing a Halfling dreadnought (great synergy with suppress nature) neighboring warlord declared on me. I repulsed the first stack she sent at my capital (!) but then pulled the garrison away to attack a seal. Cap was sniped by a second stack and my leader died in some ancient ruins as I was heading back.

Sloppy play all around on my part granted, but I guess I'm used to getting away with that.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.

Sometimes I'm pretty impressed with the AI's city placement. Of course when they leave it completely undefended...

Speaking of natural defenses, Elves, Halflings, and Goblins are nice since they like dense vegetation and wetlands

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
I always try to get a builder out asap. poo poo out forts everywhere. Future expansion spaces, crypts and ruins out in the middle of nowhere, or just land denial against the AI. And when you do settle on them the city gets the wall, so you can save turns not having to build them.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
The seals seem weirdly balanced to me. They have crazy good loot for capturing them, but pretty weak defenders. Usually a decent stack of T2s is all you need. That makes them pretty juicy targets, but there's all this hassle after the act. You don't really want to start accumulating victory points until you can defend them but if you leave a seal vacant the AI will snatch it up immediately. I usually just try to hang around until new defenders spawn.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Classic turn supremacy.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Skeletons and amalgams should heal a bit if they end their turn on top of a slain unit. Ghoulified supports could heal other ghouls but not skeletons/amalgams.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Evolving cavalry are so good though.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
You can easily clear out dungeons with mid to high level defenders using only hunters and twisting vines.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Started a game with the express intent of improving my expansion play early game. Before I'd usually split up my starting forces and creep for a while, being nice to neutral towns if I could and eventually get a settler or 2 out. Playing with emperor ai though I just wasn't getting an economy up and running fast enough.

This game instead I was hyper aggressive against neutral towns, sending all my starting forces to attack asap. My build order was builder's hall > settler > store house > tier ones while regrowing > settler. The first town I hit was halfling with 68 production on turn 6.

this was taken on turn 11 after absorbing and pumping out some adventurers and a builder

The ai seem pissy at me but that just gives an excuse to snatch their outposts too. had 6 towns by turn 20, this is with towns set to few and dwellings average. haven't gotten much further yet so maybe poisoning the diplomatic well will bite me in the rear end but with my economic base already humming along I kinda doubt it.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Have we seen a foraging ability before? Heal some HP when ending a turn on a certain terrain I assume.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Guess I need to play Goblins more often :v

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
I like eagles a lot. They're perfect for clearing tier 1 and 2 units lined up behind walls.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
As a fan of pretty cities, have to say this game has some.

Basically the Dead Marshes.

:allears:

Also it's a little unintuitive that toggle domain view is in map settings but army banners is in options.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.

madmac posted:

Words on Druids.

Thanks for this one, Druid was the class that never really clicked for me.

That being said, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICPv7mqlis

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
I didn't realize Humans like water until I played an islands map. :stare:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Frost Witches sound similar to High Elf Initiates. T1 elemental damage that evolves to T2 support at gold.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
If there is a second race being added alongside Frostlings I hope it's a completely new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Still worth it just for the production and gold bonuses imo, especially for dreads and warlords. For me casting point cost is much more the determining factor than mana cost or upkeep. I'll make the mana ends meet, but I hate waiting multiple turns to cast a global spell.

• Locked thread