Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GrandpaPants posted:

I imagine if/when the game gets expansions, races will be part of that feature list. That being said, humans are always the most boring race to play in any of these types of games so gently caress humans, especially when they're just your usual stock standard fantasy Medieval humans. Give me the goddamn Tigrans!

Well, apparently these humans are budding Imperialists in the best traditions of the British Empire, with the Commonwealth having a focus on machines, technology, and expansionism (and racism, but maybe we can change that). So not QUITE stock standard fantasy humans, exactly.

So says the lore, anyways, not sure what would happen if you ended up rolling something like the arch-druid or whatnot for humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LordSloth posted:

Age of Wonders 1 is a great game with a pretty different style than AoW2.

Brief side note on this - AoW1 tends to be more serious, fantasy-opera stuff - basically an attempt at Lord of the Rings in a game storyline.

I'm not sure about the plot of AoW2 exactly, not having gone through much of it, but the descriptions at least get a lot more tongue-in-cheek in AoW2.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

What happened to the Dark Elves, Halflings, Azrac, Highmen, Undead, Lizards and Frostlings? :qq:

I actually didn't realize Triumph Studios was a Dutch developer.

Can't answer most of that list, but apparently the High Elves are a combination of the good elves and the dark elves after Julia cast some kind of Spell of Mending or someshit. As for halflings, apparently they're around in the lore, just not playable for the moment - the dev journal hinted they'll be popping up again later, though.

No idea on everyone else - best guess we have is the fact that apparently there are Archon undead running around the place.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Leal posted:

I asked the head guy the same question but he ignored it :smith:

That's probably because it's a bad idea for a dev to say that the community annoys the poo poo out of him anywhere where the fact might get back to the community. Even if you'd e-mailed the dude privately and could be sure that he got it, he shouldn't really answer in case you took that answer and plastered it all over the community forums. You wouldn't have, I assume, but how was he to know?

Basically the only way you're getting an answer to this one is if you're actual, real-life, personal friends with a dev, and if you become friends with a dev solely to get an answer about this I don't think you're a very good friend.

Though I guess you could just buy said dev copious amounts of alcohol and hope he lets something slip while bombed out of his mind.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Sedisp posted:

I dunno. The first time I played GalCiv 2 I was able to amass enough diplomatic goodwill that literally everyone asked to surrender to me when the AI that was warmongering came knocking. I then won by using all the ships they had surrendered to crush the last AIs everything.

This was without declaring war on anybody or even building more than a handful of warships.

That doesn't disprove what he was saying, though. He didn't say that GalCiv 2 AI was bad, he was saying that it was good because the game itself was so heavily numerical that it was easy for the AI to understand and make use of. Knowing that 3 missile attack has so and so chance of penetrating 1 missile defense is easy for computers, so it's easy for them to make good decisions. Figuring out whether researching a spell that gives you a chance to convert an enemy unit is better or worse than researching a spell that insta-kills a random 20% of all units on the battlefield, on the other hand, is tricky for computers - and thus it's hard to make good AI for such spells.

Unfortunately, humans tend to find the latter more interesting than the former, thus the problem.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Has anyone noticed that the Shrine of Smiting's story seems to be worshiping 4chan?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Post your dream classes/races itt

With the Dreadnought class in, I'm pretty well set I think. Though that said, I'd be interested in some kind of economy-focused class - all about trade and civic improvement with a fairly poo poo national core unit set, but with the ability to hire mercenaries from the other players for large cash premiums. Try to be too useful to everyone to kill until you're too powerful to be stopped!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Personally, I'd be pretty interested in a "First Age" fantasy game where the whole point is to leave behind an awesome legacy worthy of being remembered by future, lesser generations, whether it's done through crafting amazing artifacts, leaving behind incredible monuments, achieving legendary heroics and even engaging in epoch-marking wars.

Bonus points if the ending consists of various adventurers picking over the ruins of the civilizations in play, marveling at what they've uncovered.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

And when I think about it, spamming hordes of pikemen and archers isn't very fantasy.

Neither are musketeers and giant steam-driven landships, and yet, here we are! :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Wait, do Elven musketeers get the racial no-long range penalty? That's insane if true and I have to try it out ASAP

Please tell me how this works, I'm saving my Elf Dreadnought for a match against a friend once he gets his router working, and I'm eager to demonstrate the glories of Elf Industrialism.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Does anyone know what magics go well with Dreadnaughts? I'm thinking a Draconian with Expander and 2 Fire, then proceed to burn everything- good idea?

Air is really really fun for one single spell: Seeker. This eliminates range penalties on a given unit - if you can attack them, you can attack them at full strength. No more will your musketeers have to wait until they're in position for that single crucial shot, you can plug away at maximum range and reload by the time they get in close!

Well, sort of. You can only enchant one unit at a time per round so it's not like you can enter battle with a vast army of snipers. It's kind of a niche use, honestly, probably best for sieges where you don't expect the enemy to sally immediately. Still fun when it works out.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

The fact that dead heroes usually drop their ranged weapon leads to some pretty silly poo poo where your most effective stack leader is carrying around something like two bows, a staff, a crossbow, and four muskets. The mental image of a hero with all of these strapped to himself somewhere plus all the quivers and bandoliers required while glowing with any number of enchantments and magical equipment amuses me far more than it should.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

I'm starting to think that settlers need to be much more expensive, and that cities should possibly not even generate gold on their own. A lot of people are saying the game is much more fun without any city founding at all, which is a pretty good sign that something is broken with it...

For the record, I personally enjoy playing on empire-building mode and pumping out cities, watching the empty spaces of the land get slowly filled in by a burgeoning and industrious empire as expeditionary forces range far and wide in search of treasure and new realms to settle.

That being said, I tend to view AIs in in TBS games as punching bags for my ridiculously over-built empire, something to demonstrate the overwhelming power I have managed to accumulate through economic-focused strategies. Also I usually don't play on very high difficulties. So, yeah, mine may not be a common opinion.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

My girlfriend was inspired by your post:

I commend your girlfriend, and encourage you to treat her well on anniversaries and other notable romantic dates.

Speaking of commendations, my compliments to whoever came up with the idea of Divine Justicars, or whatever the theocrat leader ability that grants all units in the stack Resurgence is. Thematically the idea of an elite guard with fanatical loyalty and suicidal courage, eager to dive right into the thick of battle knowing that they will be bought back to life by the power of the Great Leader after their glorious contribution to victory is extremely fitting and appropriate. Can't speak to its balance, but it sure fits the theme of theocrats!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

It would be nice if the game threw your custom-designed leaders into the random hero pool, just so that the same default names don't keep popping up. Wouldn't take too much coding to make it happen, I think, and it'd be a cool little touch.

I don't know if your custom leaders become actual hireable heroes, but I can confirm that your custom leaders ARE in the pool for enemy leaders.

"James?" I thought. "That's a weird name for a leader in Age of Wonders." Imagine my surprise to be confronted with James Telestrian III, Elf Dreadnought.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I would be genuinely interested in hearing a report about a run done where the player only ever uses T1/T2s at best. Never using T3s or T4s would certainly not be optimal, but would it be at least viable?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Had a blast playing my first random map, although a sneaky dwarf bastard took my capital while I was busy expanding, so... game over. :smith:

I'm used to having a few turns to retake your capital from HOMM, I guess I'll have to be extra careful about protecting it.

I am reasonably sure the defeat condition is losing your throne city AND your leader - losing one or the other doesn't spell defeat until you've lost both. As long as your leader lives, you can fight your way back to your capital, and as long as your capital stands, you can fortify it 'till doomsday until your leader respawns.

I mean, granted, losing the resources and production of your capital early on is gonna kneecap you something fierce, but it still shouldn't be instant defeat unless your leader was also dead.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Would it be a smart strategy to keep your leader low level and safe at your home base, and instead use your hired heroes to level up and conquer people, in case you lose them?

Early on, almost certainly not. Your leader represents a pretty significant fraction of your available combat power then, and one operating more or less for free, at that. Running about without your leader would put you at an early disadvantage.

Later on, it depends on your own strategy and the circumstances. A more aggressive player might want to keep his hero on the frontlines, being one of his most leveled units - especially so if fighting and winning an offensive war. A more cautious player might prefer to tuck his leader away in a safe corner if he's genuinely worried about losing important battles and his capital in short notice. It's all down to how much risk you want to absorb - but on the whole I'd personally say that trying to keep your leader safe in the back is probably only a preferred strategy if you're losing quite badly and have no real confidence in your ability to defend your capital from lunging strikes. Which would be pretty badly indeed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Glad to get an explanation of the 12 spells page thing, that was my next question.

Next newbie question; what effects a stack's healing? Do they always heal at the same rate? Do they heal faster in-town, or in their favorite type of terrain?

This is really cool, heart of the desert? Love it. Thanks for the explanation!

I was playing humans who would probably prefer fields to the burning desert, so that "like tropical" spell would have probably been handy.

Not sure about what else affects healing, but I do know that having a unit with a healing ability in a stack speeds up unit healing significantly. The hospital building (down the storehouse/baths line) also speeds up unit healing within the city, and the master's guild is the only way to heal machine units short of the "repair machine" ability.

With regards to humans, they like fertile plains, dislike arctic and subterranean terrain, and hate blighted and volcanic lands.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Do the bonuses that heroes give their stack apply across the entire army in a multistack battle, or just to the units that they brought personally?

Personal stack only. Your theocrat cannot in fact make 18+ units immortal.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

But I mean, what are the various nodes used for? Are they just flavour in that there's different elements for them? Do they boost "spellpower" for that spell type?

If you're an adept of water, for instance, a fire node gives you 10 mana, while a water node gives 15. Also the nodes themselves have different battlefield effects. That's about it.

a!n posted:

Is there a list of what exactly the different Specializations add? The in-game tome is kind of vague about it and I couldn't find any information in spell descriptions either. I mean I could always try it manually but :effort: and I like to sperg about possible combinations.

Go to the Tome of Wonders, specifically to the "skill" tab. Look near the top of the list - there should be an option to filter the skills to things like Dreadnought-Only, Air Adept-Only, Expander, etc. You can do the same thing with units for the various races/classes, too.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

jBrereton posted:

I wish unit, skill and structure information was available in the encyclopedia in the menu, any particular reason they don't include that stuff?

If I recall correctly, it was some kind of programming hack to make it easier to update the Tome of Wonders whenever new information needed to be added. Apparently the Tome of Wonders works by actually creating new units for display in the Tome, inputting its stats into the Tome so that any balancing change or whatnot done to the units and their skills and so on automatically updates in the Tome itself. Which is clever, but has the slight downside of not being able to view the Tome in the menu since the units aren't "loaded' there.

Speaking of clever programming hacks, minor irritation on my end: Please allow humans to pick their leaders before the AI does, it's annoying seeing the leader you want to use disappear because the AI decided to pick it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I keep losing because my HOMM tactics don't work so well in this game. I need to blend them with my Total War tactics.

Three general tips I find useful.

1) Expand, expand, expand. If there's an empty spot with enough resource sites to make a new city worthwhile, snag it as long as you have no other pressing needs. Don't bother building them up too much unless they're somewhere important - a builder's hall and a wooden wall are what I use for non-strategic cities, with produce merchandise after that. Defend them with a ranged unit or two.

2) Produce, produce, produce. Keep an eye on your economy, and whenever you feel you can afford to do so, buy up a new six-stack, preferably with a hero leading it. Try not to send out less than a full stack unless you're making scout forces or there's a pressing and urgent need, such as reinforcements for the front.

3) You don't need to conquer an enemy empire to beat them - just take their capital and kill their leader. It's easy to get caught up in a grand war against an entrenched foe, but sometimes it's worth remembering that a good decapitation strike may be it all it takes to finish an enemy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Does anyone know much about how embarked units do in a fight? It occurs to me that humans and their "mariner" ability might actually come in very handy in water-based maps if it means they can pump out large, cheap, regenerating navies at a fraction of the cost and time it takes to get fleets of true galleons and frigates roaming the seas. Very much a niche use, but potentially a pretty handy one.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Additionally, I wish there were more evil ways to do things. Running a Sauruman-style game, I quickly conquered an independent Orc city, but wanted to keep the city and the orcs. Unfortunately, there's not an evil way to integrate them into the empire. Can't my hero go around the streets slapping a couple orcs here and there?

Couldn't you plunder them? You get resources out of it too, I think!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Triskelli posted:

I thought plundering the city destroyed it?

Huh. So it does. I have to wonder why Razing exists as an option, though - why pass up on the extra money from plundering?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Give humans the unique ability to settle floating cities made up of boats lashed together. Nautilus Pirates, ho!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Delacroix posted:

I noticed hospitals and master workshops will heal organic/machine units even if the city is occupied and not being productive. I wish harbors would repair ships or if the city has a master workshop. :(

They don't? I'm pretty sure my ships were healing fine on a city with a master workshop. On the tile just next to the central tile?

That said, having harbors heal ships would be fantastic. The need to build master workshops just to heal ships makes investing in a navy even more of a marginal decision than it is.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

"Divine Justicar- All Units gain Resurgence"

Haha what

Theocrat heroes are amazing and absolutely make you want to play them as suicidal fanatics.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

One thing I am slightly annoyed with - if you don't have vision-range boosting stuff, there are times when you'll come around to the domain of a larger independent city, but won't be able to actually see the city and so make diplomatic contact with it - unless you trespass on their domain and go to war with them, of course. Am I missing something obvious?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Triskelli posted:

I know I've said it before, but I want to see a "Doge" class that can buy and sell units from other players, with bonuses to gold.

You know, now that I think about it, the main problem with an economic leader like that is probably developing a diplomatic AI that doesn't completely poo poo itself trying to figure out which of the Doge's offers are good ones. But I'd still love some manner of money-focused class.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Hey madmac, rap at me about humans and dwarves. I liked them back when they were the proto-dreadnought races, but I'll admit I never really knew how to use them properly.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

These are pretty cool. I always liked the air galleys, but I hadn't quite cottoned to their strategic usefulness (I didn't really play too much Age of Wonders back in the day.) I'd thought they were neat, but a bit weak in battle.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Thyrork posted:

The "small empire" thing could also be in another way, by burning cities and gaining bonuses from doing so. :black101:

Could be things like, leaving behind a warcamp in a razed city, gives you the influence zone and works the upgrades but doesn't count as a city, but by destroying this city you improve another.

I can't speak for any other turtlers, but at least one of the reasons I tend towards turtling in strategy games is because I'm a big softy and I feel bad about aggressively going after land and enemies at all costs. Also it's nice to build up big, healthy cities full of presumably happy citizens. Having the turtle strategy become synonymous with the "BURN AND PLUNDER" strategy wouldn't sit too well with me.

Why, yes, I never do play multiplayer on a competitive basis, why do you ask?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Turtling and playing the game Sim City style should never be viable for multiplayer or any serious difficulty level because that would be terrible game design. Having a specialization or class that encourages going taller instead of wider via conquering/pillaging/etc would be very cool though, because it still encourages aggression while giving a unique style of play.

For the record, I'm well aware that AoW3 isn't really designed to encourage turtling much, and most of the time when I play AoW3 I actively try to fight against my own instincts. I for one wouldn't really go to bat demanding that Triumph make holing up in one or two cities and building them to poo poo a viable form of play, since it'd just go way too far away from what the game has been designed to be.

That said, if I'm at all representative of those who tend towards turtling, part of the reason for turtling is because turtlers are a bit uncomfortable with the idea of being an rear end in a top hat to others in-game. While making turtling viable via conquest and plunder would make for an interesting new playstyle, it's probably just going to annoy the hell out of a lot of turtlers, which is the main thrust of what I'm saying. If the idea is to shake up the available strategies with some new ideas, fine and well. If the idea is to make turtlers happy, though, you should probably look into something else.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

I'd like it if hero sidekicks had more to distinguish them from each other. At the moment, every draconian dreadnought is exactly the same as every other draconian dreadnought. Maybe each hero could have a unique or semi-unique ability (like, for instance, access to specialisation spells like fire apprentice or Partisan or something) or even just other unique abilities they could get on level up.

AoW III is generally a tighter and I think more fun game than its predecessors, but I will forever mourn the loss of the bios individual heroes used to get. Seeing the (usually-silly) backstory of my new heroes always made me grin.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Everytime I load up steam i'm torn between Endless legend and Age of Wonders, please sell me on AOW.

Endless Legend has a better and richer strategic layer, unlike AoW which is basically all about war and winning wars. AoW has a much better tactical combat system, though, and most of the game is devoted to watching your little goblin mans shoot down lightning spirits with muskets. For what it's worth, I find the Endless Legend lore more imaginative and interesting, too, but AoW is undeniably a lot better put together and designed on a purely technical level - Endless Legend tends to hang together, barely, on the strength of its concepts that the mechanics struggle to keep up with. Whatever floats your boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Neutral is just being afraid to admit that you're bad.

• Locked thread